*** Official 2005 Step I Results Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, let's get this off right. Results were just released in my neck of the woods, 12:00 EST.

Just like last year, let's have a cohesive thread. Be sure to mention your Step I score (of course!) and any other correlative material you choose (study plan, NBME exams, etc.).

Best of luck, let's keep it cordial.

Members don't see this ad.

dcpark74 said:
I'm very sorry that you have such low self-esteem. Truly I am. It's quite sad that you have to resort to putting down people to lift yourself up.

I pause to even share my score since it would be a 'lie.' (253/99 btw. why should you believe me? because i could have posted a much higher score. i truly feel bad about my score like you said i would. :rolleyes: Also, 5 years of research, 1 publ. under my belt, 1 in manuscript, 2 patents...this is what I'll talk about during my interview.) Let me give you some advice. Those residency directors will smell your BS from the hallway before your interview. So, throw your arrogant, pretentious attitude by the wayside before you enter.

Actually the CARDINAL sign of low self-esteem is to boast your accomplishments when it wasn't indicated. Nice job.

P.S. Here is some advice, don't talk about your research unless you are asked about it. Based on this conversation, you have a potential issue with flight of ideas. Let the interview follow its course, don't artifically bring up your accomplishments to make yourself look good.

p53 said:
Actually the CARDINAL sign of low self-esteem is to boast your accomplishments when it wasn't indicated. Nice job.

:rolleyes: i give up. i guess the saying is true, 'ignorance is bliss.' You will be one happy fool in life.

dcpark74 said:
:rolleyes: i give up. i guess the saying is true, 'ignorance is bliss.' You will be one happy fool in life.

Whatever works to make yourself feel better. Don't worry there are other people in your school that can sense your insecurity, and conversation derailments.

Nice textbook example of PROJECTION for next year's crop of students.

Members don't see this ad :)
p53 said:
The fact of the matter is that people on SDN lie about their step 1 scores. I was just pointing this out so people with scores that are not in the upper stratosphere do not feel bad about their score (ex: dcpark74) because this thread is littered with lies.

again, your presumptuous attitude is clearly evident by inferring i felt bad about my score.

btw, my accomplishments were in reference to my earlier post on what i'll talk about during my interviews. they were brought to light to make my advice have more weight. but that point obviously escaped your superior intellect.

i have not stated i will get the most highly sought after residency, become a millionaire, etc. my goal is to get into a residency program that i truly want to enjoy. my goodness man, give it a rest!!!

dcpark74 said:
btw, my accomplishments were in reference to my earlier post on what i'll talk about during my interviews. they were brought to light to make my advice have more weight. but that point obviously escaped your superior intellect.

i have not stated i will get the most highly sought after residency, become a millionaire, etc. my goal is to get into a residency program that i truly want to enjoy. my goodness man, give it a rest!!!

Did I question you on what you will talk about in your interview? This was unopposed, yet you STILL feel a need to explain "what you will talk about". You have a major issue with logic and formal argument. Perhaps you are hearing voices and are typing up rebuttals to that?

Secondly, I did not mention that you will get the most highly sought after residency. Yet, you are bringing this up out of the blue. I find it comical that your main focus is on the interview, yet you are showing one derailment after another that will be exposed on your interview day.

Who are you debating? :confused: Once again are you hearing voices? These things that you keep bringing up are not mentioned by me.

p53 said:
Whatever works to make yourself feel better. Don't worry there are other people in your school that can sense your insecurity, and conversation derailments.

Nice textbook example of PROJECTION for next year's crop of students.

you're a funny, peculiar one. :)

HERE IS MY POINT: Don't place all your hopes on a score.

Therefore, rely on other things to make yourself a well rounded residency candidate.

PS. You make SDN a not so fun place. Everyone else is usually civil.

Kluver_Bucy said:
Step 1 score 188. Very disappointed. At least I passed. Maybe I should be like the other pretty girls in my school and bag a very smart guy with a bright future. ;)

Well done. I know you must feel pretty good right now. Go celebrate...the clinical years await you!

p53 said:
Did I question you on what you will talk about in your interview? This was unopposed, yet you STILL feel a need to explain "what you will talk about". You have a major issue with logic and formal argument. Perhaps you are hearing voices and are typing up rebuttals to that?

Secondly, I did not mention that you will get the most highly sought after residency. Yet, you are bringing this up out of the blue. I find it comical that your main focus is on the interview, yet you are showing one derailment after another that will be exposed on your interview day.

Who are you debating? :confused: Once again are you hearing voices? These things that you keep bringing up are not mentioned by me.

You, my friend, are hopeless. My point of my 'accomplishments' comment was to tell you to be careful at your interview. they were to give my advice some credibility.

The reason i told you that i don't want a highly competitive residency soley for the sake of prestige or to become a millionaire was because i had mentioned my extracurricular activities.

I'm only trying to ANTICIPATE your future comments. In the future, i know not to do that with you. In fact, i will talk to the other 99% (number seem familiar to you? :D ) on SDN that actually want to help each other out.

dcpark74 said:
You, my friend, are hopeless. My point of my 'accomplishments' comment was to tell you to be careful at your interview. they were to give my advice some credibility.

The reason i told you that i don't want a highly competitive residency soley for the sake of prestige or to become a millionaire was because i had mentioned my extracurricular activities.

I'm only trying to ANTICIPATE your future comments. In the future, i know not to do that with you. In fact, i will talk to the other 99% (number seem familiar to you? :D ) on SDN that actually want to help each other out.

You were trying to ANTICIPATE my comments? Let's cut the BS. Point Blank. You have problems with formal conversation.

Go ahead and focus on things that are on your CV. In reality, the interview is not used to recap your ERAS application (including extracurricular activities), but rather test you motivation and conversation skills (you need some remedial work here). I suggest buying Interviewing for Dummies

Once again, you have a major issue with derailment. You replied to my premise about fake Step 1 scores. I didn't start this conversation with you about importance of Step 1 scores, or interviews.

In the future, if you initiate a debate with someone (as you did) focus on that person's main idea (not yours). Good luck.

I don't want you to initiate any more conversations with me, it is obvious you don't have the logic capacity to engage in formal argument.

I still can't believe you used the "anticipate my comments" argument. HAHA :laugh:.

Say goodbye to your credibility.

p53 said:
I suggest buying Interviewing for Dummies
I don't want you to initiate any more conversations with me, it is obvious you don't have the logic capacity to engage in formal argument.

I still can't believe you used the "anticipate my comments" argument. HAHA :laugh:.

Say goodbye to your credibility.

You know, this stuff was fun to listen to in the eighth grade. Most of us should be beyond that now that we know that the "Cooties" don't really exist. P53, I'm not sure what you are like in person, maybe you're actually a nice guy. But from looking at your posts you really come across as someone with lots of bitterness that you love to aim at others . You attack people without being provoked. slam people with high scores, yet imply that you have stellar scores. It is ironic to nearly everyone that you you posess the "integrity" not to post them.

If you got crummy scores ,I'm sorry. If it makes you feel better, I probably didn't even pass the thing. But LET IT GO! Everyone in the forum has to watch nearly every post turn into a pissing match with you in the middle. Can't you just refrain from caustic comments for a while?

a_ditchdoc said:
P53, I'm not sure what you are like in person, maybe you're actually a nice guy. But from looking at your posts you really come across as someone with lots of bitterness that you love to aim at others . You attack people without being provoked. slam people with high scores, yet imply that you have stellar scores. It is ironic to nearly everyone that you you posess the "integrity" not to post them.

Point Taken.

You are right, I do attack people. I attack liars that post their scores. If you did some research, here is the natural order of these "pissing contests".

1. Someone posts a lie about their USMLE score.
2. I point out the inconsistencies.
3. Some Joe Schmoe defends the original poster and defames me.
4. I come back with a rebuttal against Joe Schmoe.
5. It cycles from 3-5

In review, I don't slam high scorers, I attack people that lie about their scores. Secondly, when you say nearly everyone, you are using hyperbole. There is no scientific basis for this comment. Also, you might want to brush up on the meaning of "ironic".

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my score back weds.

250/99

Qbank: 79% when I finished it
NBME 1: 640 (247)
NBME 2: 700 (256)
Also, I'm usually pretty laid-back and so SDN was helpful in keeping me neurotically motivated to stay on track and not take the challenge lightly.
I think I used a combo of hard work (9-12 hrs/day for 7 weeks) and the best resources out there. Again I'd recommend:
- FA, BRS Path and Physio, HY everything else, Qbank
- Robbins Review question book
- Goljan audio

Thanks SDN ; best of luck to everyone!

bludeviled said:
Got my score back weds.

250/99

Qbank: 79% when I finished it
NBME 1: 640 (247)
NBME 2: 700 (256)
Also, I'm usually pretty laid-back and so SDN was helpful in keeping me neurotically motivated to stay on track and not take the challenge lightly.
I think I used a combo of hard work (9-12 hrs/day for 7 weeks) and the best resources out there. Again I'd recommend:
- FA, BRS Path and Physio, HY everything else, Qbank
- Robbins Review question book
- Goljan audio

Thanks SDN ; best of luck to everyone!
\

Seeing the collective knowledge on this board is a VERY powerful motivating factor to study.

dcpark74 said:
I'm very sorry that you have such low self-esteem. Truly I am. It's quite sad that you have to resort to putting down people to lift yourself up.

You of all people have not even told us your 3 digit score. Now, why is that? I think i smell a hypocrite...someone who is so focused on scores doesn't even share his own. Why don't you just 'lie' like everyone else here?

I pause to even share my score since it would be a 'lie.' (253/99 btw. why should you believe me? because i could have posted a much higher score. i truly feel bad about my score like you said i would. :rolleyes: Also, 5 years of research, 1 publ. under my belt, 1 in manuscript, 2 patents...this is what I'll talk about during my interview.) Let me give you some advice. Those residency directors will smell your BS from the hallway before your interview. So, throw your arrogant, pretentious attitude by the wayside before you enter.

I reiterate...show us your match in a year or so. OK? Until then, you're still just a 3rd year med student.

Have a good day! :)

Why are you bringing up this information? 5 years of research, one publication, one manuscript, and two patents do not impress anyone here.

The whole reason this thread was started was so that bigfrank could see whether anyone could challenge his score from last year. He didn't want to see who got average scores or who failed. He wanted to see who his competition is and see who he could stroke his ego on the hardest. A thread just to report your Step 1 score means nothing in and of itself. You need some substance in your posts before you just claim you are an authority on Step 1 with a 268/99 score. That's why some of these new posters who have just come out of the woodwork should not be taken as tried and true reputable advisors. Most of bigfrank's advice I think you can take to the bank because he actually does provide that substance I'm referring to and isn't a 0+ poster claiming to knock the socks off of his exams. If I had a string of 99's on my resume by now I might be tempted to get a big head too. :D

As with all of the advice you give and receive on SDN, it should be taken with a grain of salt. If you get the same advice from several sources who "seem" reputable, then it is probably legit. I've taken a lot of the advice I've read on SDN but I've found some of it to be garbage, even from people who are deemed as reputable. You can't take anything as gold standard without first verifying it through your own trial and error. There aren't any shortcuts to getting a high score either. People have sent me messages asking me if (_blank_) topic is worth studying. Of course it is worth studying. I don't know what the NBME is going to put on the exam. Nobody does. Anything's fair game. Study as hard as you can and your score will reflect your hard work. I'm convinced that your drive to study is just as important as your natural knowledge you have accrued over the first two years of medical school. If you study hard for Step 1, you'll crush the scores of people who honored the classes but did it the shortcut way of memorizing old exams passed down by the generations before them.

Pox in a box said:
If you study hard for Step 1, you'll crush the scores of people who honored the classes but did it the shortcut way of memorizing old exams passed down by the generations before them.

^^^^^ good shet.

Pox in a box said:
Why are you bringing up this information? 5 years of research, one publication, one manuscript, and two patents do not impress anyone here.

fine. the statement was directed to p53, since he was so obsessed with step1 scores. who really cares about the difference between a 240 and a 260/270? my point was to draw attention to the fact at how little scores mean once you step into the interviewer's office.

and btw, like my school administration said, 'residency interviews are JOB interviews!" They want to know if you can work with people as a team player. Hence the emphasis on EXTRACURRICULARS such as what i've mentioned in a previous post. my goal is not to impress anyone here. the only people who will care are my interviewers, and that my friend is what truly matters.

(if you're not impressed with the my accomplishments then that's ok. i am not here to say i'm superior to you or anyone else. BUT, if you think that it has no bearing on the match, then you will be unpleasantly surprised.)

YouDontKnowJack said:
^^^^^ good shet.

Pox in a box said:
The whole reason this thread was started was so that bigfrank could see whether anyone could challenge his score from last year. He didn't want to see who got average scores or who failed. He wanted to see who his competition is and see who he could stroke his ego on the hardest.

^^^^^ BETTER shet.

p53 said:
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES AND RESEARCH ARE ALREADY ON YOUR ERAS APPLICATION!!!

This is what you need DC!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-6765512-9234427?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

:rolleyes:

no one wants a punk in their program. so, best of luck to you.

if there are any more attacks from you, then please make sure you have something to back your comments. all i hear is blah, blah, blah.

what extracurriculars do you have? anything else than a 99 score on step1? why don't you talk to your dean and find out if good board scores are all you need to get into a competitive residency? (i'm assuming you are going for the competitive ones, right?)

until then, good day!

dcpark74 said:
:rolleyes:

no one wants a punk in their program. so, best of luck to you.

if there are any more attacks from you, then please make sure you have something to back your comments. all i hear is blah, blah, blah.

what extracurriculars do you have? anything else than a 99 score on step1? why don't you talk to your dean and find out if good board scores are all you need to get into a competitive residency? (i'm assuming you are going for the competitive ones, right?)

until then, good day!

Actually it isn't an attack. From our conversations, it is evident that I have more social experience than you do, so I'm just trying to help.

Still, I see your true colors though. You know what they say, "A rose by any other name smells just as sweet." In this case, a schizoid personality can also be sensed.

p53 said:
EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES AND RESEARCH ARE ALREADY ON YOUR ERAS APPLICATION!!! During the interview they don't give a rat's arse about these things. They are testing your interpersonal communication skills, confidence, sincerity, and motivation.

i find it quite comical you don't think they give a **** about extracurriculars.

how else are they gonna determine if you can work with others? that seems like something that is lacking in your character. from your numerous posts here, you only get along with people who agree with you, and that number is apparently fairly low. AND you constantly attack people who may have something you lack.

oh, btw, i wouldn't be placing emphasis on extracurriculars if i didn't speak with my dean and administration about their importance.

dcpark74 said:
i find it quite comical you don't think they give a **** about extracurriculars.

how else are they gonna determine if you can work with others? that seems like something that is lacking in your character. from your numerous posts here, you only get along with people who agree with you, and that number is apparently fairly low. AND you constantly attack people who may have something you lack.

oh, btw, i wouldn't be placing emphasis on extracurriculars if i didn't speak with my dean and administration about their importance.

LET ME REHASH MY MAIN IDEA. You need help understanding my argument. They already have the extracurricualar activities on your application. The goal of the interview is NOT to bring up extracurricular activities. The interview is completely open ended, if they ask about research, then you may talk about it.

Your goal is to UNDERSTAND the interviewer and answer the questions accordingly (without artificially bringing up your agenda like in this thread). Effective answers are tailored to life experience. The key is to stay within the boundaries, and not BRAG ABOUT PATENTS, RESEARCH, AND EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES.

One more advice, DON'T TRY SO HARD TO IMPRESS PEOPLE. Even if all your credentials are true, you are negating your CV with your personality.

p53 said:
Actually it isn't an attack. From our conversations, it is evident that I have more social experience than you do, so I'm just trying to help.

Still, I see your true colors though. You know what they say, "A rose by any other name smells just as sweet." In this case, a schizoid personality can also be sensed.

anything else? :rolleyes:

gosh, why the hostility?!

Most people i know who are comfortable in their skin are not combative in nature. What are you trying to accomplish by attacking people? (i have my theories.)

have you noticed you became quite an antagonistic b!tch after you received your scores and people called you out?

dcpark74 said:
anything else? :rolleyes:

gosh, why the hostility?!

Most people i know who are comfortable in their skin are not combative in nature. What are you trying to accomplish by attacking people? (i have my theories.)

have you noticed you became quite an antagonistic b!tch after you received your scores and people called you out?

Yes, I hit the jackpot. Nice.....

To be honest, I wasn't quite sure of the DX but now I'm convinced of it based on this reply. Thanks for the confirmation.

dcpark74 said:

Extracurriculars does not equal "works well with others." Gardening is an extracurricular. So is skiing. Your clinical evaluations should have a portion dealing with professionalism. The AAMC and the LCME are mandating that your professionalism in the medical setting should be evaluated (including "works well with others"). Giving a self-evaluation of how you work with others is biased and can be trumped up as glorious as you'd like to exaggerate. PDs would rather hear from another unbiased source on how you work as a good clinician and as a cooperative player on a team. To help you get a better perspective on what PDs are looking for, ask more than one dean (at different schools) so you can increase your sample size. Ask program directors. You can't just listen to one piece of advice. I don't think they would lie to you but then again, how many people with 40+ MCATs have you ever heard of not getting accepted to just about any medical school they applied to attend? As a general rule, extracurriculars do not make up for subpar board scores and clinical evaluations, period.

p53 said:
LET ME REHASH MY MAIN IDEA. You need help understanding my argument. They already have the extracurricualar activities on your application. The goal of the interview is NOT to bring up extracurricular activities. The interview s completely open ended, if they ask about it, then you may talk about it.

Your goal is to UNDERSTAND the interviewer and answer the questions accordingly (without artificially bringing up your agenda like in this thread). Effective answers are tailored to life experience. The key is to stay within the boundaries, and not BRAG ABOUT PATENTS, RESEARCH, AND EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES.

One more advice, DON'T TRY SO HARD TO IMPRESS PEOPLE. Even if all your credentials are true, you are negating your CV with your personality.

again, i cannot help the fact that you didn't live up to your expectations on step 1. i'm sorry you didn't beat BigFrank.

i don't argue with the fact that you beat me on step1. this whole interaction between you and I was started on how much emphasis you place on a 3 digit score. then came my input on extracurriculars. then the bomb exploded.

again, my deepest sympathies to your shriveled up phallus. not getting a 270 is not the end of the world.

dcpark74 said:

p53 has always been like that. Where have you been? :hardy:

dcpark74 said:
again, i cannot help the fact that you didn't live up to your expectations on step 1. i'm sorry you didn't beat BigFrank.

i don't argue with the fact that you beat me on step1. this whole interaction between you and I was started on how much emphasis you place on a 3 digit score. then came my input on extracurriculars. then the bomb exploded.

again, my deepest sympathies to your shriveled up phallus. not getting a 270 is not the end of the world.

Did p53 tell you what he/she got?

I did not say EC's are worthless.

The stuff you talk about (EC, reserach etc) are vehicles in the process, the EXCELLENT interviews are based on subjective findings NOT objective ones such as X amount of years in research, X amount of patents, or X number of playmates you have had one night stands with in your life. You have one year to work on interpersonal communication skills, confidence, sincerity, and motivation.

I'm done trying to help you. Good Luck, DC.

Pox in a box said:
Extracurriculars does not equal "works well with others." Gardening is an extracurricular. So is skiing. Your clinical evaluations should have a portion dealing with professionalism. The AAMC and the LCME are mandating that your professionalism in the medical setting should be evaluated (including "works well with others"). Giving a self-evaluation of how you work with others is biased and can be trumped up as glorious as you'd like to exaggerate. PDs would rather hear from another unbiased source on how you work as a good clinician and as a cooperative player on a team. To help you get a better perspective on what PDs are looking for, ask more than one dean (at different schools) so you can increase your sample size. Ask program directors. You can't just listen to one piece of advice. I don't think they would lie to you but then again, how many people with 40+ MCATs have you ever heard of not getting accepted to just about any medical school they applied to attend? As a general rule, extracurriculars do not make up for subpar board scores and clinical evaluations, period.

when have i ever said extras will make up for subpar board scores and clinical evals? they won't. i don't disagree with you there!

what does working on a research team of 15 scientists or so for 4 years say about being a cooperative team player? if nothing then that is your opinion. it's funny that you/p53 hark on people with qualities that may help their position for matching, while in the same breath build up your own egos.

HERE ARE SOME ?s for you two:

Do you agree that extras will help you in your matches? (on top of scores, clinical evals, etc.)

Do you agree that attacking people, such as myself, exhibits good social skills?

ALL ALONG I HAVE BEEN SAYING THAT ONE SHOULD MAKE ONESELF A GOOD ALL-AROUND CANDIDATE BY HAVING MORE THAN A 3DIGIT BOARD SCORE. DO YOU DISAGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT? AND DID I NOT SAY IN A PRIOR POST THAT I DO NOT CONSIDER MYSELF SUPERIOR TO ANYONE HERE? IF MY STATEMENT ON MY EXTRAS OFFENDED YOU THEN I AM SORRY.

dcpark74 said:
when have i ever said extras will make up for subpar board scores and clinical evals? they won't. i don't disagree with you there!

I thought you were implying this. I am saying that ECs don't count that much in the long run except for when you are competing for a position with someone who is exactly the same as you otherwise (same scores, evals, etc.).

what does working on a research team of 15 scientists or so for 4 years say about being a cooperative team player? if nothing then that is your opinion. it's funny that you/p53 hark on people with qualities that may help their position for matching, while in the same breath build up your own egos.

I don't think it means anything. You're telling us that you worked with scientists for 4 years. That's all that says. Unless you get an evaluation from these scientists singing high praises of you, they'll just say you tried to do some research to help your application. I think we're on the same page on this one but remember, it's not quantity, it's quality. I'd take 3 months of research with 1 good mentor and a good evaluation over 4 years and 15 scientists (did you count?) anyday. Building up the ego? Huh? I'm just trying to get where you are coming from here saying that ECs are going to control your destiny.

HERE ARE SOME ?s for you two:

Do you agree that extras will help you in your matches? (on top of scores, clinical evals, etc.)

Yes.

Do you agree that attacking people, such as myself, exhibits good social skills?

What do you mean?

ALL ALONG I HAVE BEEN SAYING THAT ONE SHOULD MAKE ONESELF A GOOD ALL-AROUND CANDIDATE BY HAVING MORE THAN A 3DIGIT BOARD SCORE. DO YOU DISAGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT? AND DID I NOT SAY IN A PRIOR POST THAT I DO NOT CONSIDER MYSELF SUPERIOR TO ANYONE HERE? IF MY STATEMENT ON MY EXTRAS OFFENDED YOU THEN I AM SORRY.

Yes. Why are you taking so much offense? They are going to do this in your clinical rotations, interviews, and when you are a resident. When you present your patients in a conference to your attendings, you WILL be humiliated. You WILL NOT be able to respond back in all caps and assume that you are speaking louder than they are.

p53 said:
You have one year to work on interpersonal communication skills, confidence, sincerity, and motivation.

I'm done trying to help you. Good Luck, DC.

interpersonal skills: calling everyone under the sun peons just because they ask you for a score, don't agree with your opinions, etc.

confidence: not telling people your score when you drew attention to yourself during the exam process.

sincerity/motivation: i don't question you on these two. i believe you are genuinely motivated to cause indigestion/unrest to anyone who you perceive as a threat to your ego; BigFrank, Saco, etc.

Pox in a box said:
I thought you were implying this. I am saying that ECs don't count that much in the long run except for when you are competing for a position with someone who is exactly the same as you otherwise (same scores, evals, etc.).

I don't think it means anything. You're telling us that you worked with scientists for 4 years. That's all that says. Unless you get an evaluation from these scientists singing high praises of you, they'll just say you tried to do some research to help your application. I think we're on the same page on this one but remember, it's not quantity, it's quality. I'd take 3 months of research with 1 good mentor and a good evaluation over 4 years and 15 scientists (did you count?) anyday. Building up the ego? Huh? I'm just trying to get where you are coming from here saying that ECs are going to control your destiny.

Yes.

What do you mean?

Yes. Why are you taking so much offense? They are going to do this in your clinical rotations, interviews, and when you are a resident. When you present your patients in a conference to your attendings, you WILL be humiliated. You WILL NOT be able to respond back in all caps and assume that you are speaking louder than they are.

i understand that quality over quantity matters. and i will not state my quality results for fear of p53 immature, derogative statements. (i know 4 yrs and 15 scientists ;) are nothing if it didn't result in a good letter/publ/patents or what not.)

i understand and have already experienced that i will be placed under a microscope. i don't have any problems here. why? because they are physicians! i respect the fact that they went through the entire process to become practicing physicians...so i RESPECT them and can take what they dish out.

what i cannot take is the complete pretentious attitude that medical STUDENTS dish out. they have NOT proven themselves to anyone...they are still students.

dcpark74 said:
i understand and have already experienced that i will be placed under a microscope. i don't have any problems here. why? because they are physicians! i respect the fact that they went through the entire process to become practicing physicians...so i RESPECT them and can take what they dish out.

what i cannot take is the complete pretentious attitude that medical STUDENTS dish out. they have NOT proven themselves to anyone...they are still students.

And how does this relate? Have I given you any reason to say that I'm not trying to give you honest, sound advice? I know p53 is being abrasive but what have I said that is not true?

Pox in a box said:
And how does this relate? Have I given you any reason to say that I'm not trying to give you honest, sound advice? I know p53 is being abrasive but what have I said that is not true?

no. you're right. you have given sound honest advice. it's the arrogance of p53 that is annoying...and i know that's what he wants me to feel. but i realize that immaturity is a b!tch.

i truly think it's ironic that a lot of this is miscommunication. with p53 talking about his superior communication skills, it's hard to believe he couldn't pick up on it. but then again, typing on a forum is bound to have its myriad of communication problems, right?

dcpark74 said:
i truly think it's ironic that a lot of this is miscommunication. with p53 talking about his superior communication skills, it's hard to believe he couldn't pick up on it. but then again, typing on a forum is bound to have its myriad of communication problems, right?

True that. Don't ever get into an argument with someone you care about over instant messenger. It will go downhill quick!

What is BSS?

omarsaleh66 said:
I got the score today :

USMLE: 233/94
NBME 1: 550 2 weeks before
NBME 2: 600 1 week before
MCAT- 30
ACT-29
SAT-1370
path NBME -620/91
pharm NBME-620/91
class rank - 31/98

Man, im so relieved. I knew I screwed up alot of questions when i left that test to the point where I could have failed. So i guess u can miss alot and still do ok at the end.

From the questions that I know I missed like 10-15 that I remembered, the answers are in either First AID, the drugs that arent in First AId are in USMLE Secrets, Goljan Audio has some USMLE Step 2 concepts that were on my exam that most will never know until they are in 3rd year or have listened to Goljan. ANd also the Goljan high yields are really worth looking at.

What I used to study in the 5 weeks:

-Appleton and Lange book: completed all of it at 69%
-Qbank- 30% complete at 63%
-NMS - completed 50% at 66% (but never went over the answers so didnt learn much from this)
-NBME 1,2 exams
-HY Molec bio
-HY histo
-HY Neuro
-Platinum Vignettes for Anatomy and Embryo (not that good- stick w First Aid and Moores blue boxes)
-Platinum Vignettes for Biostats and Behavorial Science (real good for biostats)
1 time thru First AID (lifesaver)
-About 60% of goljan audio (would have gotten a few more questions right if I finished it)

I admit my studying in the 5 weeks was kinda laid back (I was burnt out), but whatever, I cant cram. So if u are like me, then start early, and do questions starting early. If i could do it over again, I would perhaps make the following changes:

1)Listen to goljan audio once in second year, and again in the weeks when u are cramming for the USMLE. This guy should be arrested, he is basically getting USMLE questions from his student and telling u what is gonna be on the test. U better believe that I will take him seriously for USMLE 2.

2) DO BSS in the summer before M2. These questions are written by Goljan and many other good peeps. P53, idiopathic and Long Dong gave me this idea but my ******* never did them.

3) I took off December for vacation but i recommened that u take 1 week off, and 1 week knock out NMS (great book) and only 850q so it can be knocked out quick

4) I wish i studied in spring break (maybe start qbank?) instead of partyin w badboyofmed (punk ass got a 242!! hahah u owe me at the bachelor party fool!!)

alrite thats it. Im gonna go celebrate and finally know im an M3. Thanks to Idio, bigfrank, alexrusso, and many others that gave great advice and know that u postively impacted my score and I really owe u guys for that.

Holler at a Baller

KSA said:
What is BSS?

Board Simulator Series. It's 5 books and a CD full of board-type questions. Seems to be a favorite among high scorers. IMO, that means 230+. G'luck.

DOCTORSAIB said:
Board Simulator Series. It's 5 books and a CD full of board-type questions. Seems to be a favorite among high scorers. IMO, that means 230+. G'luck.

This is my observation:
From what I've been reading on here is that the people that do all of BSS and start doing questions early (like doing 50q of BSS/ day from January onwards...) are getting in the high 250's/260s. So make sure u do alot of questions and start early.

gluck

Could you tell me more about Dr. Goljan's CD's and where I can buy them, please?

southcom said:
Ok, have been a lurker for awhile, loved reading the post from last year so thought I would share
USMLE: 242
I was very shocked by my score
I would like to thank God, without him it would not be possible, Dr. Goljan, His hi yields were not very high yield but his lecures were awsome and right on the mark for step 1, and my friend I studied step 1 with without him my score would be much lower, thanks dude for keeping me motivated

My study method:
I took the Kaplan class and read the books 3 times, all I thought were great and right on cue for step 1, except path go with Dr. G
I studied 5 weeks solid avg of 10-14 hrs per day
Went through Goljan's Cds probably 4-5 times through out 2nd year
MCAT: B10 PS10 V9
Comp basic science exam 67 (192)
Qbank 40% completed all random 65% at the start half 72% half 80-82 at the end
Mid of my class at an avg med school in the SE
Good luck to everyone if you put in the time you can get the score your shooting for. Anyone know the mean and SD?

KSA said:
Could you tell me more about Dr. Goljan's CD's and where I can buy them, please?

Ebay. It's being sold by someone named "Christmasgift." Starting price is $2.89 plus $9.99 for shipping/handling. Real cheap. Get it now.

Just got my scores. Here you go:

Step 1: 262/99

NBME 1: 700~257 - 3 weeks before

Qbank: 84%

MCAT: 36

SAT: 1400

Honored all my classes but one so far. Usually did > 99th percentile on shelf exams.

Best books:

1st Aid (should be read 5-6 times)
Lippincott's pharm
BRS path
High yield series is very good

Thanks to all the advice from all you good people, best of luck to those who have yet to take this test. Stay positive and work hard. We're very lucky to have the opportunity to study medicine.

I hope the work I've put in will allow me to match into neurosurgery.

just got my scores, and i don't what to think...kinda of frustrated.
i studied BSS during the semester and reviewed goljan (path), kaplan (biocehm), Micro MRS and First Aid for the 6 weeks leading upto exam...

NBME 1:510 (2 weeks prior) =221
NBME 2:530 (1 week prior) =226
Qbank 60-75% all unused timed 50 question block w/ increasing scores towards the end.
Step 1 Score: 207/84 (mean was 216 SD 12)

i feel really frustrated - like i ran a marathon with this exam and just came short of the finish line (the mean).

WOW there are some awesome scores on here. I have been procrastinating putting up my score and study guide for a while because I did not use anything that is different from other SDNers and because my score(242) is borderline retarted for SDN.... :D

Highschool GPA:2.6
SAT: Did not take it(community college)
Undergrad Top 20 (transfer student) GPA:3.8
MCAT:36
Qbank:70%(all random)
NBME1(1week before):600
STEP1:242

I used all the things that everyone else uses like HY,FA, BRS path and had 3 weeks to study.

Things that I think helped me the most
1. Studying hard for the med school classes
2. Goljan Audio
3. Robbins q book(during school)
4. SDN(certain people like BF,idio,jalby,Longdong etc)
5. FA
6. Q bank
7. BRS path during school

Things I would do to improve my score
1. Study harder and look up the wierd stuff during classes that I did not
understand.
2. Start studying early 2nd year do BSS question, listen to goljan earlier and
do more questions
3. When you first join SDN it is hard to find out who gives good advice. Just do a search and find out who did really well last year and read their advice.

I want to thank a few people who I think gave me motivation to study hard by setting an example of excellence...............BF,Idio,Jalby, and LongDong

Thanks Guys