*** Official 2005 Step I Results Thread ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, let's get this off right. Results were just released in my neck of the woods, 12:00 EST.

Just like last year, let's have a cohesive thread. Be sure to mention your Step I score (of course!) and any other correlative material you choose (study plan, NBME exams, etc.).

Best of luck, let's keep it cordial.

Members don't see this ad.

candbgirl said:
244/99; 257/99; 257/97;239/97;241/97

All of these are scores posted in this thread. I don't understand how there can be such a big discrepancy in the 2 digit score. How can 2 people who got the same 3 digit score get different 2 digit scores? How can someone who scored 7 points less in the 3 digit score get a higher 2 digit score. Is there any explanation that you can think of?

typo

Members don't see this ad :)
candbgirl said:
244/99; 257/99; 257/97;239/97;241/97

All of these are scores posted in this thread. I don't understand how there can be such a big discrepancy in the 2 digit score. How can 2 people who got the same 3 digit score get different 2 digit scores? How can someone who scored 7 points less in the 3 digit score get a higher 2 digit score. Is there any explanation that you can think of?

The guy that posted 257/97 is a liar, or he mistyped his two digit score. Also any 3 digit score above a 243 (244-288) has a corresponding two digit score of 99.

Now stop asking dumb questions until you are at least 6 months away from taking Step 1. We both know that you have a long, long time until that day. Quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if you are a pre-med student that is fixated on Step 1 scores for some odd reason. If you are currently not even in medical school, you are truly pathetic.

p53 said:
The guy that posted 257/97 is a liar, or he mistyped his two digit score. Also any 3 digit score above a 243 (244-288) has a corresponding two digit score of 99.

Now stop asking dumb questions until you are at least 6 months away from taking Step 1. We both know that you have a long, long time until that day. Quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if you are a pre-med student that is fixated on Step 1 scores for some odd reason. If you are currently not even in medical school, you are truly pathetic.

Dude, why are you being such a tool. All you do is post in this forum, bash on other people, call people out for good scores, and then make fun of the people who innocently ask questions about the USMLE, something you have been doing for months.

Also, kinda funny that you don't have the balls to post your 3 digit score. You call people out for their scores but you remain surprisingly vague about your score. Sounds like someone is a little bit disappointed. Sorry to hear your ego has taken such a hit.

scholes said:
Also, kinda funny that you don't have the balls to post your 3 digit score. You call people out for their scores but you remain surprisingly vague about your score. Sounds like someone is a little bit disappointed. Sorry to hear your ego has taken such a hit.

Ok. enough guys. Obviously you've hit it on the head about p53's score. What I don't understand is that he received a 99...that is great score. Correct me if i'm wrong but i do believe that is the highest 2 digit score one can attain. ;)

It really doesn't mean crap if you got >240, 250, 260, or even 270. We will all be lumped together. ALSO, the SEM for the score report is 6!! So even if bigfrank got a 267 and someone else got a 255...on a given test day they would be equivalent. So, enough about scores defining who you are as a student. it's all about what we have to put on the table during our future interviews. a person with >260 WILL NOT get a position if that is all he/she has. a person >230 with research pubs, will be much more attractive to the PDs.

One more thing...WE ARE ALL SMART!!!

scholes said:
Dude, why are you being such a tool. All you do is post in this forum, bash on other people, call people out for good scores, and then make fun of the people who innocently ask questions about the USMLE, something you have been doing for months.

Sorry, I'm not even in med school and I found this to be funny :laugh:

mcat: 28
qbank: ~55% correct (finished 49%)
kaplan practice full-length: 55% 3 days before actual exam :(
step 1: 204/83

study plan: mindlessly read all of kaplan textbooks. understood some, retained none. went through first aid one time. averaged 40% on biochem, anatomy, and pharm sections of qbank. didn't finish qbank. thought i was screwed. apparently not.

hawaiigirl said:

study plan: mindlessly read all of kaplan textbooks. understood some, retained none. went through first aid one time. averaged 40% on biochem, anatomy, and pharm sections of qbank. didn't finish qbank. thought i was screwed. apparently not.

Congrats!! More people like yourself should post, you are more encouraging for someone like me! :)

hawaiigirl said:

how'd u do on the nbme or 150q usmle cd exams? i'm in the same range and i just took it.

bulldog said:
how'd u do on the nbme or 150q usmle cd exams? i'm in the same range and i just took it.

sorry, didn't take any of those. i did take the school-sponsored nbme cbse (comprehensive basic science examination) test 2 times though, once at end of first year, second time at end of second year. here's how those went:

first time: subject test score: 60 (step 1 equiv = 175)
second time: subject test score: 56 (step 1 equiv = 165)

so according to this test, i dropped 10 points between first and second year!!! by the way, the second time i took it was before boards studying. i didn't really start studying until my summer "break," but i did spend 9 weeks studying for boards.

[edit]

my advice to self-proclaimed slackers studying for boards: FOCUS ON FIRST AID!!! i learned soooooooo much stuff in kaplan textbooks that was totally irrelevant, like the intimate details of b-cell maturation. if i had spent the first 6 weeks of my studying focused primarily on first aid and q-bank (instead of cracking those open with 3 weeks to go), my score would have been much much higher!

kaplan textbooks are great reference materials, but reading them all back to back if you have a weak knowledge base to start with just causes you to lose focus, become quite bored of medicine, and stresses you out. note that this is only advice to self-proclaimed slackers... for those gunners who want uberhigh scores, i'm sure memorizing all the kaplan details is a must. :rolleyes:

scholes said:

People?

The person that claimed he scored a 268 was a pre-med student that wasn't even in medical school. I call it like I see it.

As for the person that asked the question about Step 1 scores, I wasn't making fun of that person, that person should feel foolish for asking a question about scores of 97-99 when they are so far from taking the exam. The smartest of the smartest even have trouble passing their first gross exam, and you have yahoos asking about top Step 1 scores because that is their goal even before starting medical school.

Hell, thanks to SDN we even have college seniors at Anywhere U listening to Dr. Goljan even before starting medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since we have so many entering medical students obsessing about step 1 scores. I would like to comment on the big picture.

I hate to make this a social commentary, but it is very disturbing that students put so much energy on high step 1 scores when in reality it is only one piece of the puzzle. If I was an incoming medical student, I would make sure I secured a research position, and put in many hours of volunteering at something that I am passionate about, and NOT think about Step 1 scores until christmas break of my second year. Although I do agree with BigFrank, every first year student should buy First Aid on the first day of medical school so they can just read the corresponding sections in First Aid when they are studying each section for class i.e Anatomy, Histology, Biochem etc.

First Aid has about 80% of the Step 1 facts you will see on test day. You have to use repetition to remember every single word in the high yield facts section. This brings me up to another point.

The two most important lessons in medical school are

1. Repetition is the cornerstone of success.
2. Intellectual Drive is the most important attribute of the best medical students.

In the end, the third year clerkship grades are the most important part of your application to residency. So don't stress too much about honoring Biochemistry, or scoring a 270 on Step 1. Use your 1st two years to sow the seeds of having your name published in a research paper, volunteering hours into a cause you have an interest or passion, and have fun on weekends during your 1st two years in medical school.

p53 said:
People?

The person that claimed he scored a 268 was a pre-med student that wasn't even in medical school. I call it like I see it.

Why are you lying to people?

If you don’t believe or you disagree with what people are posting; just say I disagree but please don’t just randomly make stuff up about people you don’t know.

p53 said:
People?

That's an interesting theory.

See, most detectives would have clicked on his profile, looked at his previous posts, and noticed his first post (from back in 2002), in which he mentioned that he was about to start med school and asked a question about finances for married students.

Of course he could have just been some clever teenager sowing the seed for future deception....

Whether he actually scored a 268 or not, it seems pretty obvious to me that the kid's in med school.

But then again, that's just how I see it--I'm not the resident Sherlock Holmes here.

Obviously, everything on this forum needs to be taken with a grain of salt. The real question is....WWBFD?....what would BigFrank do?....

Boris Badenov said:
That's an interesting theory.

See, most detectives would have clicked on his profile, looked at his previous posts, and noticed his first post (from back in 2002), in which he mentioned that he was about to start med school and asked a question about finances for married students.

Of course he could have just been some clever teenager sowing the seed for future deception....

Whether he actually scored a 268 or not, it seems pretty obvious to me that the kid's in med school.

But then again, that's just how I see it--I'm not the resident Sherlock Holmes here.

I don't think iDq1i's "study plan" produced a 256/99. Please provide proof - talk to Big Frank about this.

idq1i said:
iDq1i is busy being on-call. I'll post my score as soon as I get the official letter

MCAT: 11v/13p/11b
NBME a&b: not taken
Path shelf: 780
Class rank: Almost all H's
Step 1: 256/99

Study "plan":
Qbank completed: 81%.
Skimmed Cecil Essentials of Medicine.
Read BRS behavioral
Threw FA in the garbage after two days
Studied on and off for ~3 weeks. Absolutely no study plan (as far as timing, schedule, etc). I wanted 4 more points, but with the amount of work that I put in, I'll take this.
The best study method for step one = doing well in your 2nd year. There is no substitute.

P53, you created a diary to share your step 1 study experience, NBME scores etc. So, why aren't you willing to share your 3 digit score?

p53 said:

komodor said:
Why are you lying to people?

If you don’t believe or you disagree with what people are posting; just say I disagree but please don’t just randomly make stuff up about people you don’t know.

Since you responded when you said you wouldn't, you lied on your previous post. :thumbup:

Let's do this to clear up the air. Scan your 268. If you do it, I will admit I am wrong about your score and leave SDN forever.

p53 said:
Since you responded when you said you wouldn't, you lied on your previous post. :thumbup:

Let's do this to clear up the air. Scan your 268. If you do it, I will admit I am wrong about your score and leave SDN forever.

Tool.

You care way too much about this.

Assume you're right. Now, for that to happen, not only would he be a senior in college worrying about Step One when he should be worrying about drinking/hooking up, but the OP would have also gone through all the trouble of researching review books and posting them on the internet in an attempt to pass it off as a legitamate "study program." Not to mention the fact that when I was in undergrad, I didn't even know when you took Step One, how many "steps" there were, tor the grading system.

I think that indicates some serious pathology and deserves sympathy rather than spite.

p53 said:

Pompacil said:
You care way too much about this.

Assume you're right. Now, for that to happen, not only would he be a senior in college worrying about Step One when he should be worrying about drinking/hooking up, but the OP would have also gone through all the trouble of researching review books and posting them on the internet in an attempt to pass it off as a legitamate "study program." Not to mention the fact that when I was in undergrad, I didn't even know when you took Step One, how many "steps" there were, tor the grading system.

I think that indicates some serious pathology and deserves sympathy rather than spite.

More power to the guy that hoodwinked everyone into thinking he was a med student. You guys let p53 get inside your head.

Long Dong said:
jalby is like mace windu (angry but still helpful if you pm him).

I kill you now.

/me pulls out his HUGE light saber

p53 said:

Yeah “I lied” because I asked you to stop making random accusations about people you don’t know.

Just wondering if anyone else finds it ironic that this joker (p53) is asking people to SCAN copies of their scores when he hasn’t even posted what he got.

Hey why don’t you do everyone a favor and scan YOUR OWN score and leave SDN forever; better yet don’t bother with the scan just leave (I personally could care less what you made). :thumbup:

komodor, it would be pretty funny if you scanned your 268 and had p53 leave.

of course, he could always register another nick. But i'm pretty sure you'd do some people a favor.

komodor said:
Yeah “I lied” because I asked you to stop making random accusations about people you don’t know.

Just wondering if anyone else finds it ironic that this joker (p53) is asking people to SCAN copies of their scores when he hasn’t even posted what he got.

Hey why don’t you do everyone a favor and scan YOUR OWN score and leave SDN forever; better yet don’t bother with the scan just leave (I personally could care less what you made). :thumbup:

Your are a complete, and utter idiot. A dolt that doesn't even know what "ironic" means. Didn't you learn the definition of this word in High School like the rest of us?

Smart move changing your previous posts.

One question, what does it feel like to be the first person to receive one's score from the FRED Step 1 examination, a full one week before everyone else received their score? You received your Step 1 scores on July 13th, and the rest of America received their scores on July 20th. Hmmmm

Komodor, you are a complete dope. Everyone knows your story doesn't add up. You are pathetic for fighting a lie. Now go back to your sorry life and hang your head high with your artificial 268. Quite frankly, that is all you have that defines you.

/me in one slash removes both p53 and Komodor's heads from their bodies.

Here is my score report with all the usual test correlations.

ACT: 30
MCAT: 31 (11 VR, 10 PS, 10 BS)
Class Rank: bottom quartile
CBSSE: 69 (198)
CBSSA Form 2: 460 (209)
CBSSA Form 1: 480 (214)
USMLE Step 1: 219

Kaplan Q Bank average was around 58% at 500 questions (random), and I just got tired of it and quit.

I'm pretty happy with my score, I think I got out of it what I put in to it my first two years of medical school.

MCAT: 33
Class Rank: top quartile
Qbank: 75%, completed all of it
CBSSA Form 2: 630 (245) 2 weeks before
CBSSA Form 1: 650 (248) 3 days before
USMLE Step 1: 248

The NBME practice test were right on the money.

Jalby said:
/me in one slash removes both p53 and Komodor's heads from their bodies.

Whatever floats your boat buddy. Just don't PULL out your "HUGE" LIGHT SABER on me. I don't play for the New York Yankees. Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)

p53 said:
Whatever floats your boat buddy. Just don't PULL out your "HUGE" LIGHT SABER on me. I don't play for the New York Yankees. Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)

Tool.

p53 you my friend are the fly on SDN’s testicles. Everyone keeps trying to scratch you off but you are holding on for dear life. :D

Like I said before why don't you just leave. ;)

I thought I would contribute my scores...

NBME exam-360 (180) 10 days prior to exam

Score on Step I- 198....was aiming for 200+ but I'll live! :)

p53 said:
One question, what does it feel like to be the first person to receive one's score from the FRED Step 1 examination, a full one week before everyone else received their score? You received your Step 1 scores on July 13th, and the rest of America received their scores on July 20th. Hmmmm

SO right on this one...p53 has a good point.

komodor said:
p53 you my friend are the fly on SDN’s testicles. Everyone keeps trying to scratch you off but you are holding on for dear life. :D

Like I said before why don't you just leave. ;)

Since we have established that you want me to leave, I've given you the power. It's funny how you fell right into that trap, and NOW you only have one choice to support your credibility. :thumbup:

All my enemies are pulling for you but I'm calling your bluff.

Show us the score, OR SHUT THE HELL UP.

You only have one option baby and you don't have the ACE on 5th Street. Say goodbye Komodor, your credibility is shot. :laugh:

Guys, let p53 have his fun. You know in class he's that strange guy that sits in the corner that no one talks to.

ClandestineOne said:
Guys, let p53 have his fun. You know in class he's that strange guy that sits in the corner that no one talks to.

Or the one that never comes to anything but sends strange e-mails to the class every couple of months.

Pox in a box said:
Or the one that never comes to anything but sends strange e-mails to the class every couple of months.

Why is it that you guys manage to turn all of these posts into your own personal war zones?? :rolleyes: ;)

bluebirdie said:
Why is it that you guys manage to turn all of these posts into your own personal war zones?? :rolleyes: ;)
Yeah it happened with the results thread from last year too with big frank and skip intro. But this year it's p53 and almost everybody, all we need is ramroay in the mix and it should get entertaining.

Long Dong said:
Yeah it happened with the results thread from last year too with big frank and skip intro. But this year it's p53 and almost everybody, all we need is ramroay in the mix and it should get entertaining.
Here's the difference: Skip Intro called BS on my score, challenged me, and I came up with the goods. Big difference. ;)

bigfrank said:
Here's the difference: Skip Intro called BS on my score, challenged me, and I came up with the goods. Big difference. ;)

The actual difference is you folded to another tool and scanned in your score. ;)
I frankly (no pun intended) don't care if p53 believes me.

Like I said earlier he can always scan his own score if it will make him feel better; sounds like he need the attention.

bluebirdie said:

I totally agree. I think it's a guy thing... despite their brains and high board scores they can still only really think with their penises. :eek:

...back to the issue at hand. Just came in the mail: 240/98. I should be happy, although given the selection bias of the SDN universe, this score makes me borderline ******ed :p

Pox in a box said:

Am I the only one that is wondering about Pox's score and Step 1 experience? :D

Long Dong said:

You are talking between your legs, long dong.

Name one person from this year's Step 1 examination besides Komodor that I attacked as being artificial. Sure I have attacked BigFrank's credibility. But neither had the highest Step 1 score for their respective years. Sure, I might be wrong about BigFrank because his posts show isolated moments of substance, but Komodor is mentally a lilliputian.

Exhibit A

komodor said:
Like I said earlier he can always scan his own score if it will make him feel better; sounds like he need the attention.

He NEED a 268. :laugh: