USMLE Official 2020 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDoc22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since one hasn't been started, figured I'd start this for all us M2s and M3s taking Step this coming year.

DO student interested in EM. Estimated test date is mid June.

Goal is 230+ but I'd be happy with 225+.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks man!!! I appreciate all of the support this entire ride you were always dropping the best knowledge on this thread.
Lol I think the apprentice has become the master. Hoping we all don't get crushed on rotations. Was booted today from seeing patients on OBGYN lol. I guess residents come first.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol I think the apprentice has become the master. Hoping we all don't get crushed on rotations. Was booted today from seeing patients on OBGYN lol. I guess residents come first.
I'm getting crushed as well! I feel and look like an idiot out there on the floors. Its all normal-its only our first few weeks. See you in the Step 2 thread cheers homie!

Reactions: 1 users
The Step 1 average for this thread (from pg 45 until this post): 241.77, n=31
The Level 1 average for this thread: 628, n=11

I know everyone is entitled to feel however they feel about their score- different amounts of work, different goals. I made a judgement call on all the step 1 scores on whether or not the test taker was happy or not with their score.

209Unhappy
228Unhappy
229Unhappy
230Unhappy
230Unhappy
231Happy
232Happy
234Happy
234Happy
235Happy
239Unhappy
239Happy
241Happy
241Unhappy
244Happy
244Unhappy
245Unhappy
246Happy
246Happy
246Happy
246Unhappy
247Happy
249Happy
250Happy
251Happy
253Unhappy
253Happy
254Happy af
255Happy
255Happy
259Happy

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

I know everyone is entitled to feel however they feel about their score- different amounts of work, different goals. I made a judgement call on all the step 1 scores report except one where I couldn't tell, on whether or not the test taker was happy or not with their score.

209Unhappy
228Unhappy
229Unhappy
230Unhappy
230Unhappy
231Happy
234Happy
234Happy
235Happy
239Unhappy
239Happy
241Happy
241Unhappy
244Happy
244Unhappy
245Unhappy
246Happy
246Happy
246Happy
246Unhappy
247Happy
249Happy
250Happy
251Happy
253Unhappy
253Happy
254Happy
255Happy
255Happy
259Happy
If I am the 232 I am happy!

Reactions: 2 users

I know everyone is entitled to feel however they feel about their score- different amounts of work, different goals. I made a judgement call on all the step 1 scores report except one where I couldn't tell, on whether or not the test taker was happy or not with their score.

209Unhappy
228Unhappy
229Unhappy
230Unhappy
230Unhappy
231Happy
234Happy
234Happy
235Happy
239Unhappy
239Happy
241Happy
241Unhappy
244Happy
244Unhappy
245Unhappy
246Happy
246Happy
246Happy
246Unhappy
247Happy
249Happy
250Happy
251Happy
253Unhappy
253Happy
254Happy
255Happy
255Happy
259Happy
Thanks for workin this up cath! If im the 254 im happy af lol

• Haha

209Unhappy
228Unhappy
229Unhappy
230Unhappy
230Unhappy
231Happy
234Happy
234Happy
235Happy
239Unhappy
239Happy
241Happy
241Unhappy
244Happy
244Unhappy
245Unhappy
246Happy
246Happy
246Happy
246Unhappy
247Happy
249Happy
250Happy
251Happy
253Unhappy
253Happy
254Happy
255Happy
255Happy
259Happy
Damn. We're an impressive bunch!! So proud of everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Remember when we were all freaking out about Prometric shutting down at the end of April? We made it, fam

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Proudly pulling down the average over here lol. Super impressed by everyone. Yall earned it for sure

Hey everyone, I never post but have kept up with this thread as it has been highly informative and entertaining to see everyone's experience. I've been cancelled 3 times by Prometric, but I'm finally a week out from my step exam date.

Practice test results:
NBME19 (6/28)- 190
NBME 21 (7/11)- 214
NBME 22 (7/27)- 232
UWSA1 (8/9)- 249
UWSA2 (8/15)- 245
Free 120- TBD
UW%-71

I will report back after I receive my actual score, hoping to break 230. Good luck to any other involuntary stragglers like me!

Hey everyone, I never post but have kept up with this thread as it has been highly informative and entertaining to see everyone's experience. I've been cancelled 3 times by Prometric, but I'm finally a week out from my step exam date.

Practice test results:
NBME19 (6/28)- 190
NBME 21 (7/11)- 214
NBME 22 (7/27)- 232
UWSA1 (8/9)- 249
UWSA2 (8/15)- 245
Free 120- TBD
UW%-71

I will report back after I receive my actual score, hoping to break 230. Good luck to any other involuntary stragglers like me!
Woow

Practice test results:
NBME19 (6/28)- 190
NBME 21 (7/11)- 214
NBME 22 (7/27)- 232
UWSA1 (8/9)- 249
UWSA2 (8/15)- 245
Free 120- TBD
UW%-71

Wooow huge jump between 21 and 22 what did u do ???
And good luck !!

So 21 was my outlier in terms of %correct, combination of an off-day and the form not playing to my strengths. The others followed a general upward trend. Thank you!

I don't know if your first question was directed at me or not, but my "dedicated" was all messed up with the cancellations and now rotations. I haven't been able to do 2 UW blocks per day this month but did previously. I did most of my pure content review before starting UW (and was using Rx as a secondary qbank). Otherwise my content review now is while I'm reviewing my blocks.

so I'm taking Step 1 in 4 days... finally started doing question blocks with a mask on.... but my glasses keep fogging up every time I exhale. How did people deal with this?

1. place the top edge of the mask under the bottom edge of your glasses.
2. wear contacts if you have them
3. get a mask with the wire across the bridge so you can get a better seal
4. try the “tissue trick”.

Not taking Step but I wear glasses and have to wear a mask to all our mandatory school stuff, so I feel your pain.

1. place the top edge of the mask under the bottom edge of your glasses.
2. wear contacts if you have them
3. get a mask with the wire across the bridge so you can get a better seal
4. try the “tissue trick”.

Not taking Step but I wear glasses and have to wear a mask to all our mandatory school stuff, so I feel your pain.

Thank you! The tissue trick looks like its trying to recreate my favorite surgical mask type-- the anti-fog foam.
(but this was back in pre-COVID-19 days when I was on surgery rotations, and don't have access to one now. They were definitely the best though!)

Thank you! The tissue trick looks like its trying to recreate my favorite surgical mask type-- the anti-fog foam.
(but this was back in pre-COVID-19 days when I was on surgery rotations, and don't have access to one now. They were definitely the best though!)
If you take scotch tape and tape the nose bridge (so non stick end adheres to your face) and extend it out bilaterally it creates an anti-fog layer

not sure how this works but it does: it was circulating at my residency and I tried it: voila

so I'm taking Step 1 in 4 days... finally started doing question blocks with a mask on.... but my glasses keep fogging up every time I exhale. How did people deal with this?

someone who isnt me....used the mask as a chin protector

• Haha
Eek!! Right after I finished Free120 I got the Prometric appointment reminder for Saturday!!! It's getting real!

PS not only am I a straggler compared to everyone else's test date on this thread, but I'm also a class of 2021 straggler taking it after M3.

Don't even want to give my practice scores yet because while they're very average I don't even believe that I'll do that well. I'll post either way when it's all said and done and I have my score report back.

Reactions: 6 users
Eek!! Right after I finished Free120 I got the Prometric appointment reminder for Saturday!!! It's getting real!

PS not only am I a straggler compared to everyone else's test date on this thread, but I'm also a class of 2021 straggler taking it after M3.

Don't even want to give my practice scores yet because while they're very average I don't even believe that I'll do that well. I'll post either way when it's all said and done and I have my score report back.
Best of luck!! I hope M3 has helped. Schools that have their students take step 1 after M3 have higher averages, from what I recall.

• Love
Good afternoon everyone, I hope you all are doing well and healthy.

I posted my own thread, before i realized this one exists. STEP1 is in 3 days for me (3 cancellations later) and I wanted to come on here and ask for any advice related to the exam and what to do for the next 3 days?

I also did the following exams:

UWSA1- 243 (2 weeks ago)
UWSA2- 245 (1 week ago)
Free 120: 81% (just now)
UW 1st pass: 72% (timed and ~98% random)
NBME 13 (9 weeks ago): 223 [i feel like this was the hardest exam, mainly because I had only one other experience with NBMEs and it was extremely different from what I was accustomed to on UW- aka overthinking the simple stuff]
Edit** NBME 17 8/23: 236
has anyone with similar scores gotten 240 or up? I would really like to hit 240.:(

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
So... that was a nightmare. I went from being confident I would pass and hopeful for doing well possibly, to being pretty sure I won’t be releasing my USMLE score report after taking it.

don’t know why I put myself and my husband through all this misery for nothing. I would have been better off not even taking it. All that blood, sweat, and tears just to fail.

Felt like:

30% I knew and answered correctly outright
10% I knew I should know but forgot
10% I knew the right answer to the stem but couldn’t figure out what awkwardly phrased answer meant that
5% I knew the answer to the stem, and the 2nd best option, and sometimes even the 3rd, but none of them were there
8% I knew the answer to the stem (I thought) but the options were specific subsets of that answer and I didn’t know
22% I could eliminate down to 2 choices (out of 4, 6, 8, 10, whatever) but then it was a coin flip
15% I had no idea wtf they were even talking about

edited to add another category I just thought of:

The scenario points to one answer but then they throw something in that either points to something else or contradicts the rest.

Last edited:
  • Care
how long is it taking for the score to be released ? I hear for ck and step 3 its 2 weeks ..just wondering what is it for step 1 pls help ..need to lan exam

how long is it taking for the score to be released ? I hear for ck and step 3 its 2 weeks ..just wondering what is it for step 1 pls help ..need to lan exam
My friends who have already gotten their scores said 2-3 weeks the Wednesday after ur exam.

So... that was a nightmare. I went from being confident I would pass and hopeful for doing well possibly, to being pretty sure I won’t be releasing my USMLE score report after taking it.

don’t know why I put myself and my husband through all this misery for nothing. I would have been better off not even taking it. All that blood, sweat, and tears just to fail.

Felt like:

30% I knew and answered correctly outright
10% I knew I should know but forgot
10% I knew the right answer to the stem but couldn’t figure out what awkwardly phrased answer meant that
5% I knew the answer to the stem, and the 2nd best option, and sometimes even the 3rd, but none of them were there
8% I knew the answer to the stem (I thought) but the options were specific subsets of that answer and I didn’t know
22% I could eliminate down to 2 choices (out of 4, 6, 8, 10, whatever) but then it was a coin flip
15% I had no idea wtf they were even talking about

edited to add another category I just thought of:

The scenario points to one answer but then they throw something in that either points to something else or contradicts the rest.
Your 8% answer option actually made me spit out my diet dr pepper. I had a ton of those! I bet you did better than you thought.

Good afternoon everyone, I hope you all are doing well and healthy.

I posted my own thread, before i realized this one exists. STEP1 is in 3 days for me (3 cancellations later) and I wanted to come on here and ask for any advice related to the exam and what to do for the next 3 days?

I also did the following exams:

UWSA1- 243 (2 weeks ago)
UWSA2- 245 (1 week ago)
Free 120: 81% (just now)
UW 1st pass: 72% (timed and ~98% random)
NBME 13 (9 weeks ago): 223 [i feel like this was the hardest exam, mainly because I had only one other experience with NBMEs and it was extremely different from what I was accustomed to on UW- aka overthinking the simple stuff]
Edit** NBME 17 8/23: 236
has anyone with similar scores gotten 240 or up? I would really like to hit 240.:(

Thanks for all your help!
bump :(

You can hit 240, your life isn’t over if you don’t. Just take it and get it over with.
I wasn't really wondering about whether a 240 or not will ruin my life lol. I was asking if someone with scores in these ranges ended up with a 240. But thanks for your help i guess!

Just got wrecked with a 239.

I’m statistically no different to a 240 but I’ll probably still get filtered by some places because of that one point. Ah well. Onwards!

Btw, I got overpredicted by everything except for the new NBMEs.

My advice is trust nothing except your new NBMEs. UWorld 2 is not what it once was.

• Care

I’m statistically no different to a 240 but I’ll probably still get filtered by some places because of that one point. Ah well. Onwards!

My advice is trust nothing except your new NBMEs. UWorld 2 is not what it once was.
Congratulations uwsa2 overpredicted by how much ?? And which nbme is the most predictive???

How did you feel coming out of the exam?

nbme 17: 225
nbme 19:215
uwsa1 : 251
exam in 3 weeks planning on taking uwsa2 soon
P.S took ck 3 months ago scored 245
can I do it in 3 weeks?
need honest opinion kind of lost haven't read fa completely

Take the exam
I mean you could take the exam and would most likely pass it. I don’t know what your goal is here? If your goal is to pass it then yeah it definitely seems like you can. Take the UWSA2 and see how you do. And reading over FA depends on what your weaknesses are. Is the reason why you’re getting questions wrong just boil down to not knowing an obscure fact? If so, yeah going through FA is probably crucial. If it’s struggling with understanding a concept then UW questions and their explanations are probably more useful.

I mean you could take the exam and would most likely pass it. I don’t know what your goal is here? If your goal is to pass it then yeah it definitely seems like you can. Take the UWSA2 and see how you do. And reading over FA depends on what your weaknesses are. Is the reason why you’re getting questions wrong just boil down to not knowing an obscure fact? If so, yeah going through FA is probably crucial. If it’s struggling with understanding a concept then UW questions and their explanations are probably more useful.
Thanks for the reply
goal is 240. yes memory mistakes mostly.