Georgetown v. Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

synesthete

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to Creighton and Gtown for class of '15... Any insights/advice to make this decision easier would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Georgetown's facilities are super ghetto and run-down, while Creighton has very nice facilities but is located in Omaha. I don't think one school is significantly better than the other, so which do you value more: facilities that aren't on the verge of falling down, or living in a city that actually has things to do outside of med school?

Georgetown and D.C. is also much more expensive than Creighton and Omaha so cost is also another thing to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at both and I really think it comes down to what kind of environment you would like. Omaha is actually kind of sweet. It's just that outside of Omaha is pretty lame. Georgetown on the other hand is pure city through and through, no getting around that. I know in my case I had a pretty strong reaction to both and it was extremely obvious which school I would feel more comfortable attending.

i got to say that the people at Creighton were also much more welcoming and I got the feeling they support their students more so than any other school I've been to.

yeah, forgot about cost. My fiance and I live in Georgetown right now and we pay $2200 for a one bedroom apartment. By comparison, we lived previously in a two bedroom house on the beach in San Diego for $1300/month. Georgetown is the most absurd cost of living that I have seen yet...for $2200 I wish I either had the ocean or a chairlift to sick skiing off of my backporch!

yeah, forgot about cost. My fiance and I live in Georgetown right now and we pay $2200 for a one bedroom apartment. By comparison, we lived previously in a two bedroom house on the beach in San Diego for $1300/month. Georgetown is the most absurd cost of living that I have seen yet...for $2200 I wish I either had the ocean or a chairlift to sick skiing off of my backporch!

You can easily buy an apartment in either Montgomery County ( Maryland) or Nova ( North Virgina) for around 1000-1400 a month right next to the metro ( Red Line) and be at GTown within 40 minutes.

True, but who wants to commute 40 min to school everyday?

You can easily buy an apartment in either Montgomery County ( Maryland) or Nova ( North Virgina) for around 1000-1400 a month right next to the metro ( Red Line) and be at GTown within 40 minutes.

Umm, there is no metro stop in Georgetown, red line or otherwise.

No direct metro stop but Georgetown does have a shuttle called the GUTS that goes to several local metro stations (Rosslyn, Wisconsin, DuPont) and drops students off around campus.

No direct metro stop but Georgetown does have a shuttle called the GUTS that goes to several local metro stations (Rosslyn, Wisconsin, DuPont) and drops students off around campus.

Get to the metro, take the metro, take a shuttle?? Sounds annoying to me.

If Creighton is pass/fail, I'd go there. Makes first 2 years manageable. Can't imagine the horror of grades on top of everything else.

Georgetown claims to be pass/fail, but it is fail, low pass, pass, high pass, and honors. This is a five point grading scale (just like a-f); a bit misleading if you ask me. IMHO, the grading scale really messes up the environment at Georgetown.

I think Creighton is Honors/Pass/Fail. Also, Georgetown grades are also based on a curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.