Drexel DPMS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did you retake the med school classes that u took during dpms or did u test out from them? I feel like it'd be better to test out if u did well on them because then u'd be focusing on fewer classes and do well on those

I tested out of the 'lower yield' classes in my opinion. But I wouldn't advise testing out of physiology or biochem which are high yield regardless how well you do. Those are core foundation classes & plus, it would be an easy honor in Med school if it really was that easy & you wouldn't have to devote that much time to them anyhow. I understand you'd want to focus on the other classes but you have to think long term-- step 1 will have high weight on understanding of physio & biochem & IMO it's better to have more exposure to them than less. And if the amount of classes is a worry then second year of med school will hit you like a wrecking ball. It's somewhat good to be exposed to chaos so you really understand what you're getting into.
Could you test out?-- yes, & that's something you'd have to think of for yourself but you have to get A's across all of them. I did, but retook physiology & biochem regardless & honored them easily in med school. I didn't feel any extra work from it.
Hope that helps. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I keep getting asked Re: the Interview. How many ppl interview you, what is it like:
One w/ faculty/professor/ or clinician- either at the med school or at the hospital. It's very easy flowing, friendly, and informal in the sense that they are not there to grill you or break you. That's not to say you should let your guard down and respond or carry yourself as if you're talking with a friend. All applicants are evaluated as they would a med school applicant w/ those core principles/qualities I've mentioned before.
Your responses should answer their questions and highlight your qualities as often as possible...even w/ questions that seem mundane or simple such as 'why do you want to come to drexel?' They've heard plenty responses about the curriculum, the location, the 2 tracks, etc...it's your responsibility to find an answer that shows greater depth to you and that will bring something unique to drexel. I've been on the admissions committee at the med school and decisions that are favorable tend to fall on the individuals that made personalized responses as opposed to generic/superficial responses.
Recall, this is not only your postbac interview, but also your med school interview. They don't ask or seek anything different in the applicants in the dpms program that they would of a typical med student applicant. They are not there to coddle you...friendly to you yes, but they are going to expect you not to have an opinion on ethical dilemmas of medicine, or an opinion on the current healthcare system and how that affects patient care, for example. They don't need you to give a 'right' answer, just an answer that shows you put some thought into it. BTW... it's ok to tell them you need a moment to compose your answer before answering their question- that shows maturity and reasoning in your response. If you feel nervous or flustered, take a moment to yourself, maybe tell them you're nervous but enthusiastic, and get back to kicking butt on your interview. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys,

I was regretfully not accepted. It seems they are dishing out decisions today. I applied to MSP as well and had the interview today so we shall see. Good luck to everyone else.

Hi Firewareagle,
How did you hear so quick? When did you complete your app? Were you called for an interview and what are your stats if you don't mind sharing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I tested out of the 'lower yield' classes in my opinion. But I wouldn't advise testing out of physiology or biochem which are high yield regardless how well you do. Those are core foundation classes & plus, it would be an easy honor in Med school if it really was that easy & you wouldn't have to devote that much time to them anyhow. I understand you'd want to focus on the other classes but you have to think long term-- step 1 will have high weight on understanding of physio & biochem & IMO it's better to have more exposure to them than less. And if the amount of classes is a worry then second year of med school will hit you like a wrecking ball. It's somewhat good to be exposed to chaos so you really understand what you're getting into.
Could you test out?-- yes, & that's something you'd have to think of for yourself but you have to get A's across all of them. I did, but retook physiology & biochem regardless & honored them easily in med school. I didn't feel any extra work from it.
Hope that helps. :)

Thank you Dracosrg, you have been very helpful!
Did you have to retake the mcat during the program? how does that work? It'd be hard because you have to prepare for mcat while taking med schools classes. And by when are you supposed to release your new mcat scores? If I do get into the program I think I have to retake it because my score in physical sciences is below of what they require

good question medimp. i was wondering how that is going to be possible

Thank you Dracosrg, you have been very helpful!
Did you have to retake the mcat during the program? how does that work? It'd be hard because you have to prepare for mcat while taking med schools classes. And by when are you supposed to release your new mcat scores? If I do get into the program I think I have to retake it because my score in physical sciences is below of what they require

During the program you will have mcat instruction. Examkrackers w/ the books given to you and sessions w/ student teachers. You'll take practice exams, etc and this is factored into your schedule. Is it tough- yes. But that is what you are here to prove and this is your chance and opportunity to prove you can do it. Now is the time to learn how to manage your time and study effectively because it will only get harder with every additional year in terms of content, the significance of your perfomance, and amount of material needed to know. Everyone is required to take their mcat prior to April so there is enough time to see if you met the cutoff or not.
Remember, it has been done in the past successfully, it will be done successfully in the future.
Myself, yes. I retook the mcat early in January (when I felt i was ready. Studied over winter break, took practice mcats and did well on them so I just got it done w/) & had a
36R (previous stats were cgpa 3.8 sgpa 3.5 & 2 previous mcats 21 & 19).

Interview Invite today! Application completed at the deadline (April 26). Will be interviewing May 23.

congrats on everyone that got interviews. they are starting to send out rejection letters. i was rejected, but offered to interview for the ims program. i dont know if im going to take that because the dpms prgram sounds like a guranteed spot if you succeed, and the ims is not like that

I got an interview invite too. Submitted 4/23, interview May 23rd.

Interview Invite today! Application completed at the deadline (April 26). Will be interviewing May 23.
hey i submitted my application at the deadline also, did you get confirmation from Drexel of application receipt?

congrats on everyone that got interviews. they are starting to send out rejection letters. i was rejected, but offered to interview for the ims program. i dont know if im going to take that because the dpms prgram sounds like a guranteed spot if you succeed, and the ims is not like that

Correct. IMS does not have the conditional acceptance. It does have the guarantee interview if you meet the criteria, and you still do take the med school courses-- actually a few more than the track 1 dpms. Performing well (med school average or better) in them and having an mcat that is 28+ would allow you to be a competive applicant for the following year, and you can apply to other med schools besides drexel as well. It's a different commitment to consider. Decide what is best for your goals and I hope it all comes to fruition in your future. All the best!

congrats on everyone that got interviews. they are starting to send out rejection letters. i was rejected, but offered to interview for the ims program. i dont know if im going to take that because the dpms prgram sounds like a guranteed spot if you succeed, and the ims is not like that[/QUOTE

Me too :(
im not giving up though

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEMQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fthepittpulse.com%2Fpdf%2FFebruaryFinal.pdf&ei=I9qJUZ-TO8iN0QGVsoHQCA&usg=AFQjCNEPp1_ZBUHZqZT9M5wzKb5at703nw&sig2=giD85Pmz3_KKMh6P3MDp-w&bvm=bv.46226182,d.dmQ

Not sure if that link will be viewable but if it is check out p7. Has a little information on drexel, interview day, what they look for, and it's from the director of admissions. Your day will be a little different- you won't have an interview w/ a med student, but you will likely have lunch w/ a previous dpms student if they're around. The questions they ask are no less important, the questions can still be anything of topic, they are not there to coddle you, they are there to assess you objectively and do it in the limited time you present yourself. Dress professionally, not casually-- suits w/ ties (no ties for girls), skirts w/ blazers; this is your med school interview so treat it as such. Dress the part now of what you want to be and where you see yourself.

I got an interview!! :) My application was submitted April 26, and my interview date is May 29. Is anyone willing to do a mock interview with me?

I got an interview!! :) My application was submitted April 26, and my interview date is May 29. Is anyone willing to do a mock interview with me?

That's fantastic!!! congrats! Ive PM'd you w/ my contact info. Feel free to get in touch and we'll talk about the interview and how to prep, advice, and I'll critique your interview responses and suggest improvements to get their attention and hopefully their recommendation for the program. Congrats again!!!

hey i submitted my application at the deadline also, did you get confirmation from Drexel of application receipt?

I did not get a confirmation that my application was complete. I did call and e-mail quite a few times to make sure that everything was in. They should get back to you in about a day or two via e-mail. [email protected]. Good Luck!

I received an interview invite yesterday as well!!! :) :) Super excited! My application was submitted April 24th. I will be going in for my interview May 16th! Im seeking to know more about how the interview process is and what type of questions I could look forward to if possible!!! Im also curious to know how many students get accepted into the DPMS program?

I received an interview invite yesterday as well!!! :) :) Super excited! My application was submitted April 24th. I will be going in for my interview May 16th! Im seeking to know more about how the interview process is and what type of questions I could look forward to if possible!!! Im also curious to know how many students get accepted into the DPMS program?

Congrats! What would you like to know about the interview process? Check out the link I posted previously on this page 3 re: that. Aside from not interviewing w/ a med student it follows as described. But, after reading that what else would you like to know specifically?
The questions they ask can be anything really. It's the same people that interview med school applicants so anything is fair for you too. Look at the link of 100 questions I posted--that is an idea of what MAY come up. Questions that are mostly asked of all applicants in one form or another is 'tell me about yourself, why do you need the dpms program, explain your academic performances or shortcomings, and why you think you're a disadvantaged student.' Of course there's many many many more questions they can and do ask because every interviewer is different, is looking for something in particular. You interview 1:1, 20-60mins, and that's your med school interview/dpms interview.

Students accepted 30-32, so getting the invite is a big deal. Anything else just ask but read through this forum and get an idea of what others asked and answered. Good luck and feel free to PM me w/ questions/advice.
Congrats again!

Thank you so much! Your previous post and link helped out tremendously! I now feel as though I know what to expect come the day of my interview. However, I do still have a couple of questions. With that many people accepted into the program about how many are granted interviews? Also, if placed in the Pathway where one would have to retake the MCAT if you are already scheduled to retake it in July how would that work out? Would you be able to use that score?

Hi! I got the interview invite email yesterday night as well. I was complete 4/25.

I'm going to be traveling in, and I was just wondering - should I plan on renting a car to get around? I'll be taking a bus in the night before and leaving right after the interview. I noticed some of the suggested places to stay at give a ride to the interview....is that reliable?

Thank you so much! Your previous post and link helped out tremendously! I now feel as though I know what to expect come the day of my interview. However, I do still have a couple of questions. With that many people accepted into the program about how many are granted interviews? Also, if placed in the Pathway where one would have to retake the MCAT if you are already scheduled to retake it in July how would that work out? Would you be able to use that score?

The # of interviews varies as the # of applicants to the program varies. Tends to hover around 200 applicants from what we were told in the past a quarter (because that quarter showed potential...it wasn't a set #) of those may be invited to interview...but again, sometimes more, sometimes less. What matters is YOU have an invite to interview for a CONDITIONAL acceptance into med school. THAT is very very very rare as every year is becoming more and more competitive with med schools being able to choose from a large pool of applicants overly qualified and with world experience and leadership attributes. This is a golden opportunity and you should be ecstatic it's not a larger pool that applies or receives interviews because your chances would then diminish with that larger pool.
If you feel that you are prepared for the mcat in july 2013 and you're ready to take it and meet the score requirements then all the better. Contact the office of the postbacc & talk w/ them--- you should have their email and someone else posted it here as well.. That more falls on their policies and the med schools decision really of whether or not to accept the score prior to finishing the program (the med school makes those choices but talking w/ the postbacc office at ncb via phone or email would be your best bet). I took mine early in Jan and it was accepted. July is a bit ahead of schedule but ask them to be sure. :)

I received an interview invite yesterday. I am extremely excited. Application was complete 4/25 and I am interviewing on May 14.

I received an interview invite yesterday. I am extremely excited. Application was complete 4/25 and I am interviewing on May 14.

Congrats again to everyone on their upcoming interviews!! It's a good lot of you so do your prep work and all the best to everyone!!! Get in contact w/ me if you haven't already and want a critique on your responses/mock interview so you can shine like a docstar that you'll be. :) Read the previous posts/links on what they are looking for from this forum.

Hi! I got the interview invite email yesterday night as well. I was complete 4/25.

I'm going to be traveling in, and I was just wondering - should I plan on renting a car to get around? I'll be taking a bus in the night before and leaving right after the interview. I noticed some of the suggested places to stay at give a ride to the interview....is that reliable?

I was told the b&b close to the med school on queen lane was reliable. Full of cats but they would drop you off to the med school. I wouldn't rent a car-- you should use that time to prep, relax, recoup and such. Otherwise, the hotel on city ave will use a cab service to take you to the med school. Cab fare from city to east falls areas is a bit over $20.

The # of interviews varies as the # of applicants to the program varies. Tends to hover around 200 applicants from what we were told in the past a quarter (because that quarter showed potential...it wasn't a set #) of those may be invited to interview...but again, sometimes more, sometimes less. What matters is YOU have an invite to interview for a CONDITIONAL acceptance into med school. THAT is very very very rare as every year is becoming more and more competitive with med schools being able to choose from a large pool of applicants overly qualified and with world experience and leadership attributes. This is a golden opportunity and you should be ecstatic it's not a larger pool that applies or receives interviews because your chances would then diminish with that larger pool.
If you feel that you are prepared for the mcat in july 2013 and you're ready to take it and meet the score requirements then all the better. Contact the office of the postbacc & talk w/ them--- you should have their email and someone else posted it here as well.. That more falls on their policies and the med schools decision really of whether or not to accept the score prior to finishing the program (the med school makes those choices but talking w/ the postbacc office at ncb via phone or email would be your best bet). I took mine early in Jan and it was accepted. July is a bit ahead of schedule but ask them to be sure. :)

Thank you so much for ALL of your assistance Dracosrg!!!! :):thumbup::)

I too wish to extend much gratitude and thanks to Dracosrg for the help that has been provided. I also want to say congrats to all those who have gotten interview invites- I received mine yesterday via e-mail and my application was complete on April 26th (the deadline- had some letter of recommendation sending issues). In any case I am extremely nervous as well as excited to have the opportunity to interview. I pray everything goes well!!! Btw I am interviewing on May 21st.

never mind just saw the link

Last edited:
I emailed Kareem Johnson to schedule my interview. Should I receive a confirmation email?
I also called and he did not answer. :/

I am unsure what time you called however when I called, I was told he was not in the office today (another lady had scheduled my interview)....maybe you called when the office was closed?? - Try again tomorrow I'd say :)

I emailed Kareem Johnson to schedule my interview. Should I receive a confirmation email?
I also called and he did not answer. :/
Hi there,

Yes I emailed him my interview day and he emailed me back confirming it within a few hours. You can also log back on to your app to see if your interview has been scheduled.

Thanks and congrats everyone!
Kareem confirmed my interview date this morning. =)

I also got invited for an interview!! I will be there next week.. kind of nervous since its coming up so quick!
I had a question though does anyone know when they start making decisions on who's accepted or denied?? I heard they wait until after everyone has interviewed to make decisions, but then from some one else I was told it was on a rolling admissions setup.. any clarification to this would be great thanks

Thinkmef when did they send your invite? Is it safe to assume all interview invites have sent out by now? Or what I should ask is has anyone received any rej letter dated in the past week? Nervous

I just had my interview yesterday along with four wonderful ladies. Don't stress out! The people were all extremely nice. I will admit that some interviewers did ask more questions then others. My interview was with the head of the program, Dr. Rodriguez and he was extremely nice and informative. His interview was more of a conversation and his main question was "why did you struggle with some of your classes in undergraduate." There was no student interview but past DPMS students did come to answer our questions and give us a tour. It felt like a family environment and I really hope I get in. They send out decisions the first week of june, after having reviewed all of the applicants. Classes for DPMS start june 20th I believe and summer housing is provided free of charge. Come prepared to ask plenty of questions but do not stress out. Good luck everyone!!

Does anybody know if they are also doing phone interviews?

BTW, Congrats to everyone who has already interviewed and Good luck to those interviewing later this month. POSITIVE VIBES your way!!! :)

From my understanding they do not do any phone interviews for the DPMS program, because of the fact that this is basically also your medical school interview and that you should treat it as such. I believe the IMS program does do phone interview though.

I have a question for everyone that has already interviewed. I was just curious if anyone has been asked any questions about the health care reform, their opinion on abortions or other topics like that? Or if its more of the standard why would you like to come here, why is this program good for you, and topics along those lines? Thanks guys and best of luck to everyone!

I just had my interview yesterday along with four wonderful ladies. Don't stress out! The people were all extremely nice. I will admit that some interviewers did ask more questions then others. My interview was with the head of the program, Dr. Rodriguez and he was extremely nice and informative. His interview was more of a conversation and his main question was "why did you struggle with some of your classes in undergraduate." There was no student interview but past DPMS students did come to answer our questions and give us a tour. It felt like a family environment and I really hope I get in. They send out decisions the first week of june, after having reviewed all of the applicants. Classes for DPMS start june 20th I believe and summer housing is provided free of charge. Come prepared to ask plenty of questions but do not stress out. Good luck everyone!!

Thanks for the info!!-Although I am definitely nervous about the interview!!! Did you have a chance to look at the surrounding area of the school (the city itself)? Overall impressions?:D

I have a question for everyone that has already interviewed. I was just curious if anyone has been asked any questions about the health care reform, their opinion on abortions or other topics like that? Or if its more of the standard why would you like to come here, why is this program good for you, and topics along those lines? Thanks guys and best of luck to everyone!

Just wanted to say they can't ask about abortion or euthanasia and your views on it during the interview. Just like they can't ask your relationship status. All questions that are not allowed.
Last week a student was asked what difficulty physicians have with healthcare in their opinion. I haven't seen them post it on here but we talked after and this applicant mentioned they were asked that. This applicant was asked about their academics and why drexel and why medicine. Hope that's semi helpful.

Hey guys,

first off i want to say congrats to everyone who has gotten interviewed already and to those who are expecting it very shortly.

i have a quick question regarding this program and i was hoping one of you guys could answer it for me. im really looking into this program and want to apply next year. im a CA resident. but im not sure if im considered a URM per se. im of asian indian ethnicity and an immigrant to this country. my family isnt the wealthiest but we've had out financial struggles when we arrived here. im not sure if you have to pass some sort of criteria for URM to apply to this program. im hoping one of you guys could give me a quick insight.

ive already gradated from a state university here in CA w/ a BA in Biology. i have a cum. 3.0 gpa and sub par 21 Mcat 7P 5V 9B. which im retaking this July.

thanks for all the help.

Hey guys,

first off i want to say congrats to everyone who has gotten interviewed already and to those who are expecting it very shortly.

i have a quick question regarding this program and i was hoping one of you guys could answer it for me. im really looking into this program and want to apply next year. im a CA resident. but im not sure if im considered a URM per se. im of asian indian ethnicity and an immigrant to this country. my family isnt the wealthiest but we've had out financial struggles when we arrived here. im not sure if you have to pass some sort of criteria for URM to apply to this program. im hoping one of you guys could give me a quick insight.

ive already gradated from a state university here in CA w/ a BA in Biology. i have a cum. 3.0 gpa and sub par 21 Mcat 7P 5V 9B. which im retaking this July.

thanks for all the help.

There's no set criteria for this program as far as applying to it. Yes it's for URM & disadvantaged students. That latter portion can encompass a broad definition to which the medical school has the discretion to choose. So I would say apply. It's better to receive a rejection and know definitively rather than let an application cycle pass and still be wondering.
All the best in your endeavors!!

There's no set criteria for this program as far as applying to it. Yes it's for URM & disadvantaged students. That latter portion can encompass a broad definition to which the medical school has the discretion to choose. So I would say apply. It's better to receive a rejection and know definitively rather than let an application cycle pass and still be wondering.
All the best in your endeavors!!

Thanks for the response! ill be applying next cycle. i unfortunately missed the deadline this year :(

another off topic question. Are there any other programs similar to this program throughout the country? maybe closer to the west coast?

Thanks for the response! ill be applying next cycle. i unfortunately missed the deadline this year :(

another off topic question. Are there any other programs similar to this program throughout the country? maybe closer to the west coast?

Closer to west coast--yes. There's at least ten that I know of but you have to dig around to find the contact and program information. they tend to be hidden and not advertised much. post bac for disadvantage students is what many are referred to like prime. search search search and contact schools directly and ask yourself...you must advocate for yourself as well and show initiative. in your year off you MUST ensure it's utilized productively and you stay invovled w/ medicine--clinical volunteering, shadowing, research plus clinic time. Otherwise some programs (or if you apply to med school next cycle) will question your commitment (not directly but there will be a big question mark as to why you weren't doing anything medically related in that year). good luck again!

https://services.aamc.org/postbac/

You can find out about all of the postbacc programs here on aamc's website. This is where I found out about the DPMS program.

Thanks for the info!!-Although I am definitely nervous about the interview!!! Did you have a chance to look at the surrounding area of the school (the city itself)? Overall impressions?:D
We did have a tour of the school itself. It is small and does not appear as impressive as the name "Drexel" implies, however, It is properly equipped with anything a medical student would need. We did visit the cadaver lab and one student even showed us the cadaver his group was working on. The tour of the city is more of an individual thing, students who came from far were planning on doing one themeselves before they left. Overall impression: This is my number one choice and that did not change after my visit. Although I've been accepeted to several masters programs, msp, and a similar one year post bac elsewhere, The dpms program will clearly prepare you for the rigors of Med school. Living in philly and graduating from Drexel will also surely make a difference when picking a residency program. Best of luck!!