Drexel DPMS 2014-15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i havent heard anything. sounds like its gonna be a silent rejections.
Just b/c the deadline closed & you haven't received an invite yet doesn't mean they reviewed everyone and are ready to make recs and such. They have a lot to go through and hope27 is right- use this time to prep just in case.

One thing to mention for whoever is reading this. Med school and a medical education is a lifelong career of learning. Don't take it as a race. If you have sincere perseverance, dedication, and use your time wisely to prepare you can make yourself competitive. DPMS is just one avenue of getting into med school and targets those who have strong potential for succeeding. It will NOT correct past deficiencies or weaknesses regardless of your desire for being a doctor-- that's entirely left up to each individual to take care of before applying to this, other post-bac programs, or med schools. If, unfortunately, this year doesn't pan out figure out how to correct shortcomings and how to improve for the following year.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi! How tough was it for you to maintain the 3.0? Were a lot of people in the program able to meet this requirement and matriculate into DUCOM (if they got the MCAT score)?

Was this meant for me directly or open discussion?
For myself it started difficult. I did track 1 so had to retake my mcat. I received a 70 on the first biochem exam--about 21 points below med school average and this was on material we had already studied during the summer session & the easy intro to biochem module. I corrected my deficiencies, modified my study habits, and improved throughout the year w/ 95-100s on exams in all courses. On top of that I was involved w/ numerous interest groups, was doing research, class rep, and on the graduate student committee. I took my mcat 1x in january during the program and did very well- I didn't want to be stressing w/ it in march/april. I ended up w/ the highest grades in my class and received a recognition for it as well. None of this is because I'm a genius- if that was the case I would have been in med school in my teens. I worked intelligently and gave myself ample time to prep for everything and looked way into the future for what I wanted, attempting to figure what steps I needed to complete to get what I desired.

Half my class continued through- the other half failed or gave up on med school at one point or another. They didn't fail b/c of their lack of desire to be doc. They failed b/c they had difficulty in attention, commitment to memory, basic vs abstract concept extrapolation, or exhaustion from the rigours of the coursework. I'll say though, dpms is quite easy compared to actual med school. You won't realize this until later. I'm an upper year med student btw.

Anyhow, it all depends on each individual and what you make of it. There's no easy way around it- it's tough and just deciding to study hours on end won't give you results. You can't cram this stuff, procrastinate, pray, or hope it'll work out (although the last 2 are comforting to do). It takes active commitment on your part to succeed and constant reassessment. I know it's tempting to want to know how others are doing while you're in the program but honestly, their success or failure will not have an impact on you. It'll be your actions, or lack there of, which will decide the end result.

Another prep many of you can be doing aside from interview prepping-- re-studying for your mcat test. Do questions, reread passages and really breakdown why you missed it, & know why the other choices are incorrect. For those that don't need to do the mcat and want an idea of what you're getting into then go ahead and start looking at step 1 FirstAid 2014- read the high yield facts or the physio/biochem/immuno sections. Think this is too much? It's not- this is somewhat of the mindset that you should start getting yourself into b/c the sooner you prep the easier it will be later. That's how I've excelled and there's nothing glamorous or magical about it. (and yes, I have had a very great social life in the program and in med school despite all the above)

Reactions: 8 users
Was this meant for me directly or open discussion?
For myself it started difficult. I did track 1 so had to retake my mcat. I received a 70 on the first biochem exam--about 21 points below med school average and this was on material we had already studied during the summer session & the easy intro to biochem module. I corrected my deficiencies, modified my study habits, and improved throughout the year w/ 95-100s on exams in all courses. On top of that I was involved w/ numerous interest groups, was doing research, class rep, and on the graduate student committee. I took my mcat 1x in january during the program and did very well- I didn't want to be stressing w/ it in march/april. I ended up w/ the highest grades in my class and received a recognition for it as well. None of this is because I'm a genius- if that was the case I would have been in med school in my teens. I worked intelligently and gave myself ample time to prep for everything and looked way into the future for what I wanted, attempting to figure what steps I needed to complete to get what I desired.

Half my class continued through- the other half failed or gave up on med school at one point or another. They didn't fail b/c of their lack of desire to be doc. They failed b/c they had difficulty in attention, commitment to memory, basic vs abstract concept extrapolation, or exhaustion from the rigours of the coursework. I'll say though, dpms is quite easy compared to actual med school. You won't realize this until later. I'm an upper year med student btw.

Anyhow, it all depends on each individual and what you make of it. There's no easy way around it- it's tough and just deciding to study hours on end won't give you results. You can't cram this stuff, procrastinate, pray, or hope it'll work out (although the last 2 are comforting to do). It takes active commitment on your part to succeed and constant reassessment. I know it's tempting to want to know how others are doing while you're in the program but honestly, their success or failure will not have an impact on you. It'll be your actions, or lack there of, which will decide the end result.

Another prep many of you can be doing aside from interview prepping-- re-studying for your mcat test. Do questions, reread passages and really breakdown why you missed it, & know why the other choices are incorrect. For those that don't need to do the mcat and want an idea of what you're getting into then go ahead and start looking at step 1 FirstAid 2014- read the high yield facts or the physio/biochem/immuno sections. Think this is too much? It's not- this is somewhat of the mindset that you should start getting yourself into b/c the sooner you prep the easier it will be later. That's how I've excelled and there's nothing glamorous or magical about it. (and yes, I have had a very great social life in the program and in med school despite all the above)

Very well said @Dracosrg

Members don't see this ad :)
My application is complete and I still havent heard anything about a rejection or interview....anyone else?

Reactions: 1 user
Have you checked your application status online? My status said I have been invited for an interview but I am not sure what that means.

Those who aren't sure if they have an interview offer check your emails. They send out all scheduling instructions in the emails

Have you checked your application status online? My status said I have been invited for an interview but I am not sure what that means.

you should be getting an email soon to schedule your interview. congrats!

I can't see my application on the banner website. Does anyone know why or is having the same problem?

I too am waiting to hear back. I guess no news at this point is good news. Sounds like they will hand out rejections if you so not qualify or are overqualified. Trying to stay optimistic.

Anyone know if interviews are handed out in batches? Someone recently said the committee meets every Thursday.

OK thanks! Will check now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview invite today through email, two days after the admission committee posted on the online application status saying "you have been invited for an interview".

All I see online is an uncompleted application started May 6, because I think I accidentally clicked on 'new app'. My original one has been complete since 4/25 and its not online. Its so annoying to be hung up like that, watching the last spots be handed away. given my stats (3.6/ (9/9/8), research publication in a high impact journal, great letters and tons of clinical experience. I overcame odds just the same as most of the people here. Over-qualification would be a lame reason to deny

What do you mean by the last spots handed away? You have no idea who has been accepted or not into the program b/c those decisions have not yet been made by the med school. People getting invites are just invites for INTERVIEWING. It doesn't mean they've been accepted into the dpms program.

As per stats, qualifications, clinical experience, and overcoming odds-- there's various other factors and characteristics besides #s and recognition that determines whether or not you're someone they want or fits in the program.

I'll be candid-- I've given med students, IMS, MMS, and DPMS applicants I've interviewed poor scores (below average recs) based on our conversation despite their qualifications, publications, experiences, and research. I've argued against applicants being accepted just like I've argued for students to be accepted. There were specific reasons.

If this year doesn't pan out, you and anyone else,- then strengthen yourself or broaden your application to other schools as well or to programs that look at well qualified applicants (eg Temple's ACMS postbac program). Also D.O. and M.D. are so equivalent these days so anyone dropping a DO invite for dpms or other postbac should assess their decision objectively. Ideally I strongly believe this path is about perseverance, positive growth, character, and your remembrance to help those coming behind you on your trek to becoming a physician.

And per my own experience to lend ease to those stressing- I received a late interview- 6 days before the program started.

Reactions: 5 users
First time poster, long time lurker here. Thanks for all the information you've been posting up, @Dracosrg . I also applied and have not yet heard back anything, but will consider my weaknesses and try to address them if I don't get in this round. It's helpful to hear your opinions and experiences with past applicants.

May I just ask -- you hadn't even heard back from Drexel until late June? That's kind of terrifying! :scared:

First time poster, long time lurker here. Thanks for all the information you've been posting up, @Dracosrg . I also applied and have not yet heard back anything, but will consider my weaknesses and try to address them if I don't get in this round. It's helpful to hear your opinions and experiences with past applicants.

May I just ask -- you hadn't even heard back from Drexel until late June? That's kind of terrifying! :scared:

Correct. I submitted my app 1 day before deadline, was notified of complete app ~3wks later and didn't hear anything until the week prior to the program (Monday). I interviewed on a Tuesday (the day after my call and yes my flight to Philly was expensive at $800+), was told I was accepted Friday that same week, and submitted my $500 deposit that same day. I drove 28hrs that weekend, arrived Sunday, & started on Monday. Stressful, choatic, hurried, and unexpected. Stats sgpa 3.85, cgpa 3.9, 21 mcat 8/5/8 extensive clinical experiences, bench research, leadership roles, & my own struggles. I excelled in the program after initially struggling, #1 in class & 36mcat 13/10/13 retake in jan.

Reactions: 6 users
Correct. I submitted my app 1 day before deadline, was notified of complete app ~3wks later and didn't hear anything until the week prior to the program (Monday). I interviewed on a Tuesday (the day after my call and yes my flight to Philly was expensive at $800+), was told I was accepted Friday that same week, and submitted my $500 deposit that same day. I drove 28hrs that weekend, arrived Sunday, & started on Monday. Stressful, choatic, hurried, and unexpected. Stats sgpa 3.85, cgpa 3.9, 21 mcat 8/5/8 extensive clinical experiences, bench research, leadership roles, & my own struggles. I excelled in the program after initially struggling, #1 in class & 36mcat 13/10/13 retake in jan.
Wow that is truly amazing.

I have been invited for an interview and was wondering if someone can help answer the following questions.

1. Will the program provide housing for the summer?
2. What is the exact date that the program will start this year?
3. Is there a deposit?
4. How long will it take for the committee to make a decision. The week before the program starts?

Thank you.

Also, with the new change for the 2015 MCAT, will there be a different expectation for DPMS students?

That is truly amazing and will allieve some of my panic. Question is are tgey usually fast abiut replying that you aren't in consideration for an interview due to status . Or is it a long drawn out process. Because I really don't want to wait, miss out on taking summer a courses and then be told you're not getting in due to you not being qualified

Does it make a difference in the eyes of committee if scheduled for earlier or later interviews?

I have been invited for an interview and was wondering if someone can help answer the following questions.

1. Will the program provide housing for the summer?
2. What is the exact date that the program will start this year?
3. Is there a deposit?
4. How long will it take for the committee to make a decision. The week before the program starts?

Thank you.

1. yes. and you will have every friday off to look for places (my class didn't have this luxury, but we complained enough that it was then put into action for classes after)
2..first monday of the 3rd week in june typically (someone from this year dpms any help or those that interviewed already and were told chime in)
3. yes $500
4. committee meets and it's up to their discretion. they can accept those that they're sure about in 2-3wks, or wait until they get through half before sending out some responses which is more typical. Really, b/c the program starts in june many people will hear about the same time. No concrete answer for this.

I've gotten numerous PMs re: questions to ask and advice on interviews and such. I'll repost what I've responded & of course this is MY OPINION. You can choose to do whatever you want or whatever feels right for you inline or not w/ below:

If you haven't familiarized yourself w/ DUCOM then I'd start there. Questions regarding the ifm vs pil curriculum are a moot point for you at this point since you'll strictly be in ifm. I wouldn't waste time asking about the curriculum. I also wouldn't waste time asking your interviewer regarding the dpms program-- most won't know the specifics of it, just that you're applying to the postbac program. Questions you could ask could be due to their field, interests, mentorships, research opportunities for ducom students that they know of, etc. I understand you (all) want to do well, but I also don't want to allude to too much otherwise it will be my specific questions coming through that I know they will be responsive to. I want you (all) to be able to represent yourselves as much as possible. I'm here to give guidance instead of an algorithm which would make you shine. Instead, I would advise as you're talking to them that you consider why their interviewing you (they volunteer to do it, it's not required of them, so why do they do it? Why would you do it?), what would you want to know about students if your were in their position, what besides your interview are your concerned about (don't ask about tuition, scholarships, etc to your interviewer...not the time or place and they won't know that). Give it some thought and there are some good articles on the topic.

To get another perspective, look up what program directors (deans of admissions committees) say regarding what they look for in students- some have been interviewed by sdn or other groups. That may open up numerous other possible questions that you may ask. Something NOT to ask is why ducom is a good place to learn, why you should go there. You're fortunate to have received an invite- now is NOT the time to be presenting yourself as having an ego regarding where you want to go (even if it wasn't your intentions).

IF you get a chance to Dr. Walker, I would ask what she thinks are the top reasons why applicants fail to matriculate. It happens each year and I guarantee you no one that it occurs to ever thought it would happen to them on the onset. This question isn't to win over anyone but more for you (all) to realize from the onset the reality of your situation.

Good luck in your upcoming interview!!!!

1. yes. and you will have every friday off to look for places (my class didn't have this luxury, but we complained enough that it was then put into action for classes after)
2..first monday of the 3rd week in june typically (someone from this year dpms any help or those that interviewed already and were told chime in)
3. yes $500
4. committee meets and it's up to their discretion. they can accept those that they're sure about in 2-3wks, or wait until they get through half before sending out some responses which is more typical. Really, b/c the program starts in june many people will hear about the same time. No concrete answer for this.
I was told the program will start on June 22 at my interview.

3. yes $500
2. June 22

Where did those of you who have already interviewed stay? At some of the B&Bs from the interview visit "brochure"?

Thanks a lot for this @Dracosrg ! I'm not sure I'll have the same luck because your stats are incredible, but I'm glad it worked out this way for you :)

Loretta said I wasn't considered because other people were more desperate than I was.

What does that mean, "more desperate"? You called to ask about your status, or did you get an e-mail? :( I'm sorry to hear that though, best of luck to you.

I called Loretta. I was passed over.

It doesn't end for me here tho. It was sort of hard hearing that I didn't qualify, because I guess I didn't adequately address my 'need' in my essay. Retaking the MCAT on June 21 and reapplying through the regular apps. Its tiring and I wanted this so that I could just get in already, esp with applying last year and being disappointed.

But I guess its teaching me to get back up. If I keep working at it, it'll happen at some point.
People like dracosrg are an inspiration, good luck to all of you. We'll get there, maybe not when we wanted, or how we wanted, but hard work will pay off

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Well said, med candidate.

I was rejected from DPMS several weeks ago and I was EXTREMELY upset because I really, really wanted to get accepted. But I put all of my focus into studying and re-taking the MCAT and taking upper level bio courses to make myself more competitive. It takes a lot of strength and courage to keep going..especially because this process is so difficult and tiring. Good luck to everyone here! I firmly believe we'll all end up where we're meant to be :)

Also, big thanks to dracosrg. He's a huge inspiration and was very helpful with answering my questions and giving advice.

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone interviewing on May 28th?

Where is a good place to stay a night before interview? any suggestions would help.

I got a call from the office this morning and it turns out I was rejected from DPMS as well - but they accepted me into their IHS program after our phone interview. Need to find out more about the program as well but I'm disappointed as well, DPMS was my top choice. Good luck to everyone else applying though - hope you guys make it!

Good Luck to everyone! Still waiting. I havent heard a thing. When should i become worried?

Reactions: 1 users
I got a call clarifing my application for this year seeing that I had accidentally started a second one (oops) they said we should hear something back from either them as a rejection or from the med school as an interview invite in the next two weeks. I just worried since hearing a May 28 interview and the program start on June 22

Hi everyone, new to the thread! I interviewed on May 7th and was told we would be notified about decisions after Memorial Day. I really hope that means the day after Memorial Day because a California program I got accepted into wants a final answer around that same time. Good luck to everyone still interviewing, I found that it was fairly easy going and relaxed. And for anyone choosing accommodations the SEPTA train line has trains that leave from 30th Street Station (the main train station in the Philadelphia city center) to the Queen Lane station (directly next to campus) in case that's helpful.

Hi everyone, I have an interview on May 28th. Does anyone else interview on that day? To those who have interviewed, what is it like? How long do we spend interviewing with faculty and how should I prepare for it? I have also heard that the program starts on June 22nd, does the summer preparation go straight into fall semester or is there a break between summer and fall?
Thank you everyone for posting.

Hey all!

I'm glad to see you are interested in DPMS. I'm a current DPMS student and am almost set to matriculate to the school next year-- if I can pull Bs in Anatomy and Physiology this semester (fingers crossed)! For your reference, my stats were 2.9 cum and 2.9 sci, V 6 PS 8 B 8. I know some people in the program who had lower gpa and MCAT than is stated in the application so it's true they really do look at the whole picture so don't hesitate to apply. If anyone is unclear, this program is a GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to get into to medical school. It is geared toward providing an opportunity for URMs OR Economically/Socially disadvantaged students to prove that they can handle a medical curriculum. But we have students from all different backgrounds, all different stories, and all different races (black, white, hispanic, asian etc.) Depending on what track you end up in, you need to get a 3.0 overal gpa in the following classes:

Fall Semester-
Medical Biochemistry
Medical Physiology I
Graduate Pharmacology

Spring Semester-
Medical Physiology II
Anatomy
Medicine and Society

And then for Track 1 students you must get an MCAT of:
Verbal 7
Physical Sciences 8
Biology 8

For track 2 students you must take Medical Immunology in the Fall and Spring and PASS the class, or attain a 70%. Immuno doesn't count toward gpa, it's a pass fail for DPMS.

You do those things and you are in medical school! It's a doable program but it's much more difficult than it sounds. Put in the work and you're good to go.

To answer a couple questions so far:

@ Drexel.chla

Yes go ahead and apply. It's really all about how you tell your story on the application and how you present yourself in the interview.

If you have any questions especially during interview time, don't hesitate to PM me or post questions on this forum and I'll answer them when I can!

Good Luck
Is the 3.0 GPA requirement cumulative for the entire classes? Or is the requirement a 3.0 GPA in each of the classes?

Is the 3.0 GPA requirement cumulative for the entire classes? Or is the requirement a 3.0 GPA in each of the classes?
A previous post by Dascosrg said each. In all of you classes you have to be at or above the medical school average.

I got a call from the office this morning and it turns out I was rejected from DPMS as well - but they accepted me into their IHS program after our phone interview. Need to find out more about the program as well but I'm disappointed as well, DPMS was my top choice. Good luck to everyone else applying though - hope you guys make it!

It's more of an exposure to various 'medical' fields- vet, medical, pharm, some others. It's fairly broad ,and honestly unless you're unsure about the different professions I would suggest against it b/c it's pricey just the same. You'll take some grad level courses but 1 year of it will not provide you with much strength in your file. It's meant to be a 2 year program. The second year you finally take classed that are more akin to the med school level classes.
Did you read these? http://catalog.drexel.edu/graduate/schoolofbiomedicalsciences/interdisciplinaryhealthscience/
http://catalog.drexel.edu/graduate/collegeofmedicine/interdisciplinaryhealthsciencecert/ Did the office indicate a reason--low mcat, low gpa? If it's the mcat...retake and get a higher score and reapply to dpms and/or other programs. If it's the gpa look for programs that give high grad level courses that are equivalent to med courses.
I understand this is easier said than done, but all truth and reality is that you will always be competing with other qualified candidates (either stats, life experiences, background, needs, etc) and your greatest asset of success is yourself-- showing great improvement by your own means speaks loudly.

As far as the essay they give you at the beginning of the interview can you give me a general scope of what topic may be asked. I know they cant ask about abortion and such but could the essay be about the human genome project? What stigmas come with primary care? that sort of thing.

Hi,

Would anyone mind sharing how the interview process is conducted? Is there a writing portion? I understand we will be interview by one medical school faculty and a current student.

Does anyone know when the last interview dates are