Drexel DPMS 2014-15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am Interviewing May 22nd Anyone interviewing on that day? Has anyone heard anything on student hostings?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything either. Neither good or bad news. I have a 3.0 gpa, 26 MCAT, and a URM. By this point I have given up on the DPMS program. I'm waiting on a rejection anytime honestly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a rejection email a couple days ago. It was kind of odd. I called the day before asking about the status of my application since I've been complete since March 11th. I got a rejection letter the next day. Not worried about it though. I got accepted to another postbacc/md program. Glad I applied broadly and to a good number of programs bc these programs are competitive.

I received a rejection email a couple days ago. It was kind of odd. I called the day before asking about the status of my application since I've been complete since March 11th. I got a rejection letter the next day. Not worried about it though. I got accepted to another postbacc/md program. Glad I applied broadly and to a good number of programs bc these programs are competitive.
Who did you speak with? I've left a couple of messages with Dr. Walker and I haven't heard anything yet. Best of luck to you!

Same here 2,95 undergraduate gpa 29 MCAT scores URM (just graduated so no graduate gpa) and haven't heard anything. nothing. In the process of applying for Biomedical Engineering jobs but would like to get an answer soon even for a no

Same here 2,95 undergraduate gpa 29 MCAT scores URM (just graduated so no graduate gpa) and haven't heard anything. nothing. In the process of applying for Biomedical Engineering jobs but would like to get an answer soon even for a no

Did u apply to other postbacc/MD programs? DPMS is really really popular. They get tons of apps. There are other programs that are similar to this one that also lead to an MD program.

I haven't heard anything back from Drexel, last I heard they had all my application materials. I have been anxiously awaiting the 'interview' email, see lots have been asked for the interview, hope that email comes soon. Haven't heard anything about rejection so there is still hope:)

Reactions: 1 user
Did u apply to other postbacc/MD programs? DPMS is really really popular. They get tons of apps. There are other programs that are similar to this one that also lead to an MD program.
No because didn't know about it and b thought I just have to take more classes and apply earlier gpa is now 3.05 aftet final grades but was told it would be pointless to send a updated transcript.

Hi everyone, I have an interview on May 28th. Does anyone else interview on that day? To those who have interviewed, what is it like? How long do we spend interviewing with faculty and how should I prepare for it? I have also heard that the program starts on June 22nd, does the summer preparation go straight into fall semester or is there a break between summer and fall?
Thank you everyone for posting.

I have an interview on May 28th as well.

Is the 3.0 GPA requirement cumulative for the entire classes? Or is the requirement a 3.0 GPA in each of the classes?

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply. The gpa requirement is that you have a 3.0 cumulative gpa by the end of spring semester. Sure you can bomb a test and then catch up on the rest of them, and you can bomb a class and get a C, as long as you have a 3.0 at the end, you're good to go. That's why I said it's really important to do well in biochem because it's 8 credits. If you get an A biochem, then you can get a C in each physiology class and still be above a 3.0. The grades for the medical school classes are determined by the final class average. The final class average is the MINIMUM score for a B. For example, physiology's class average was an 84, so everything from 80-83.9 was a B-, which is 2.67 as far as gpa. Thus, you must get or beat the med school average in order to get at least a B.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just canceled my interview for this Wednesday.. I got accepted into med school!

Reactions: 8 users
Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Just found out I was rejected from DPMS, but accepted into the IHS program. Good luck to everyone still in the running!

Where do you guys stay for accommodation a night before interview and how do you get to interview in the morning?

@DRNOLUCK The interview invite e-mail linked to a brochure with a list of bed and breakfast places. I stayed with the lady from Moving Arts Bed and Respite(215-842-1040). She is really nice, and her prices are fair. She also offers rides to the interview place for free.

So just got a call that I was invited to interview two weeks ago and asked if I was going to accept. Shocked that I never received it but going on probably the 28th due to ticket prices. If you are still haven't heard anything from drexel I would call and get a confirmation from them because you could just have never gotten the email.

Reactions: 2 users
So just got a call that I was invited to interview two weeks ago and asked if I was going to accept. Shocked that I never received it but going on probably the 28th due to ticket prices. If you are still haven't heard anything from drexel I would call and get a confirmation from them because you could just have never gotten the email.

Congrats on the interview invitation! I still haven't heard anything. Who did you speak with? Was it someone from the DPMS office or someone from the school of medicine?

Good luck with your interview!

so DPMS sent my app to IMS, and I got accepted. anyone know about this program?
PM me. I know about it. II'll post info on here as well. In gist. It's a great program. Upwards of 90% that do 2 year masters(IMS 1st Yr + MMS 2nd Yr) go on to med school. Its for strong applicants. Take more med classes than DPMS and no MCAT prep. No conditional acceptance.

Wow you are very lucky. I called and they told me that my application is complete and that they haven't reached a decision yet. Once they have a decision, they will contact me. Seems by now most people have either been interviewed, setup an interview date, or have been rejected. I have heard nothing. When you call, do you call the dpms office or the medical school?

Wow you are very lucky. I called and they told me that my application is complete and that they haven't reached a decision yet. Once they have a decision, they will contact me. Seems by now most people have either been interviewed, setup an interview date, or have been rejected. I have heard nothing. When you call, do you call the dpms office or the medical school?

You deal strictly w/ the DPMS/POSTBAC office. Do not call the medical school.

Hi, everyone! Just came across this forum. Thanks to all of you who have posted such helpful information. My application was marked complete the week of the deadline and haven't heard anything back yet. I called the DPMS office and was told I should receive a decision by the end of the week. (Not sure if that's a good or bad thing..)
Good luck to those interviewing this week!

Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply. The gpa requirement is that you have a 3.0 cumulative gpa by the end of spring semester. Sure you can bomb a test and then catch up on the rest of them, and you can bomb a class and get a C, as long as you have a 3.0 at the end, you're good to go. That's why I said it's really important to do well in biochem because it's 8 credits. If you get an A biochem, then you can get a C in each physiology class and still be above a 3.0. The grades for the medical school classes are determined by the final class average. The final class average is the MINIMUM score for a B. For example, physiology's class average was an 84, so everything from 80-83.9 was a B-, which is 2.67 as far as gpa. Thus, you must get or beat the med school average in order to get at least a B.
Thank you so much, do you have any advice on how to do well on the interview? Also I noticed that you did mock interviews last year do you still do them?

Thank you so much, do you have any advice on how to do well on the interview? Also I noticed that you did mock interviews last year do you still do them?

I strongly suggest reading back posts I've posted and others have posted on their interview experiences. I've put up various posts on the interview, how to prep, and a series of questions that you should familiarize yourself with via a link.
I'm reposting this response from before as well w/ a few additions-- just ONE of many postings regarding the interview prep:

If you haven't familiarized yourself w/ DUCOM then I'd start there. Questions you ask regarding the ifm vs pil curriculum are a moot point for you at this point since you'll strictly be in ifm. I wouldn't waste time asking about the curriculum. I also wouldn't waste time asking your interviewer regarding the dpms program-- most won't know the specifics of it, just that you're applying to the postbac program. Questions you could ask could be due to their field, interests, mentorships, research opportunities for ducom students that they know of, etc. I understand you (all) want to do well, but I also don't want to allude to too much otherwise it will be my specific questions coming through that I know they will be responsive to. I want you (all) to be able to represent yourselves as much as possible. I'm here to give guidance instead of an algorithm which would make you shine. Instead, I would advise as you're talking to them that you consider why they're interviewing you (they volunteer to do it, it's not required of them, so why do they do it? Why would you do it?), what would you want to know about students if your were in their position, what besides your interview are your concerned about (don't ask about tuition, scholarships, etc to your interviewer...not the time or place and they won't know that). Give it some thought and there are some good articles on the topic.
To get another perspective, look up what program directors (deans of admissions committees) say regarding what they look for in students- some have been interviewed by sdn or other groups. That may open up numerous other possible questions that you may ask. Something NOT to ask is why ducom is a good place to learn, why you should go there, adjectives that describe the program. All those, to be frank, sound douchey b/c you (all) at this point don't have the luxury to be choosey...this is your opportunity so don't interview the interviewer or come across as needing reasons to go to drexel. You're fortunate to have received an invite- now is NOT the time to be presenting yourself as having an ego regarding where you want to go (even if it wasn't your intentions).

Try summarizing yourself in bullet points w/ open ended questions. Stay on point and answer the questions at hand- no more no less. If you don't know something then mention it. The interview assesses you in various ways even IF YOU ARE NOT ASKED DIRECTLY (it looks at your maturity, your reasoning, exposure and understanding of the medical field, professionalism, communication abilities, understanding, ability to work w/ others, potential to succeed). How you answer questions and how you elucidate or fail to elucidate all speak about those qualities...ie, just because you're socioeconomic disadvantaged doesn't equate to you being able to relate to all people that are socioeconomically disadvantaged; just b/c you're a minority doesn't make it automatically easier for you to communicate w/ other minorities....comment's like that in your PS or in your interview especially comes off as being naive/immature in your experiences and knowledge of the medical field. Also, general/cliche statements are not good. Follow them up w/ reasoning or explanations if you do use such statements.

IF you get a chance to Dr. Walker, I would ask what she thinks are the top reasons why applicants fail to matriculate. It happens each year and I guarantee you no one that it occurs to ever thought it would happen to them on the onset. This question isn't to win over anyone but more for you (all) to realize from the onset the reality of your situation. Also, Dr. Walker IS NOT on the admissions committee so trying to win her over won't get you any additional points.

Smile & be enthusiastic. Good luck. Read the back posts.

congrats on your invite to ims and more importantly your pursuit of the medical field.

Yes- they will try to 'rope' you into a 2nd year(IMS--> MMS). Depending on your stats you may or may not need that second year. Are you a recent grad or been out of school already? Honestly- it's no race- the more you prep the better off you'll be. Sure, it'll cost you in school loans but it opens doors for you. Anyhow, the ims program is a strong program. You'll take more med classes than the dpms program-- biochem, physio, microanat, immuno or nutrition, plus a group discussion on ethics of some sort (quite pointless imo b/c you just hear opinions from students in the MMS program (2nd year of IMS). Anyhow- the med courses you take are challenging and doing exceptional opens lots of doors. If your mcat is decent you can apply during the IMS year and give programs updates on your progress via the postbac office. The postbac office will advise against this but I assure you people have been accepted to other md programs despite. If you opt to do the 2nd year- you gain further exposure to med school courses plus research projects and a masters degree. At that point you're extremely competitive and you're almost 100% likely of being accepted to some med school (md or do).

Just thought I share the following stats that I received from DPMS:
2014-2015 total applications: 400
Interview: 90 applicants
Will accept about 40 students

All decisions will be send out via email on June 6th.

Reactions: 2 users
Are there still people out there who haven't received an interview invite or rejection? I haven't heard a thing yet other than my application being complete on April 16th.

Are there still people out there who haven't received an interview invite or rejection? I haven't heard a thing yet other than my application being complete on April 16th.
I heard the last interview was May 28th From Dr. Walker. So I would say if you haven't gotten one by now well...

I heard the last interview was May 28th From Dr. Walker. So I would say if you haven't gotten one by now well...
I have heard the same thing. The last interview is expected to be on May 28th. However, if not enough students matriculate, then they will conduct last min interviews. Good luck to all!

Feeling a bit crushed. Felt like when I found this program, it was a godsend. Also thought the program was a perfect match for me, but apparently admissions doesn't believe so. Complete around beginning of March. Taking the next step irregardless, I know medicine is the field for me. Must stay optimistic!

Feeling a bit crushed. Felt like when I found this program, it was a godsend. Also thought the program was a perfect match for me, but apparently admissions doesn't believe so. Complete around beginning of March. Taking the next step irregardless, I know medicine is the field for me. Must stay optimistic!
That is really tough to hear but best of luck to you and your future

Did you hear from the admissions committee?

Update, I was rejected by the DPMS and accepted into the MSP program. At least I got an answer.

Same here, not accepted into DPMS, but granted admission to MSP, sounds like a sound option. Though DPMS is pretty hard to top.

Same here, not accepted into DPMS, but granted admission to MSP, sounds like a sound option. Though DPMS is pretty hard to top.
When did you hear you weren't accepted into DPMS? It seems like there's still a few of us left who haven't heard anything yet. The last time I corresponded with DPMS, they told me to call them directly if I don't hear from them by next week. Congrats on getting into their MSP program!

I got the call this past Thursday. The caller let me know that though I wasn't accepted into DPMS they wanted to grant me admission to MSP, I received a formal acceptance email shortly after.

Congratulations on your MSP program acceptances.

I also haven't heard anything back yet. Trying to stay optimistic :xf:

If your goal is for sure to get into med school, then MSP is an option IF you do the IMS track. This means you will have to do very well your first year, which includes classes like pharm, anatomy, and all the science classes (phyisics, bio, ochem, gen chem). The second year you will then take the IMS curriculum which include the med school classes: Microanatomy, Biochem, Physio 1 and 2, Nutrition, Neuroscience. And then some other non med school classes and research. So MSP is expensive, and a long road, but I know several that were just accepted to med school this year.