Drexel DPMS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cocoxaurus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there!

Haven't seen a thread yet, anyone out there applying to Drexel DPMS 2013-2014?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
Have you submitted your application and/or heard from the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!
Have you submitted your application and/or heard from the school?

yes I am currently in application process. I have sent in MCAT score. Need to send in transcripts and letters of recommendation. How is process going so far for you?

Just sent all of my materials in! Waiting on a confirmation e-mail and hopefully an interview

yes I am currently in application process. I have sent in MCAT score. Need to send in transcripts and letters of recommendation. How is process going so far for you?
rcox51390,
I have all of my recommendations in, but I am taking the MCAT on Saturday and need to send it my essays and transcripts. I am hoping I can get everything in on time to be considered. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.
I know interviews are held in April and in May.

If you dont mind me asking what are your stats and background??
URM and immigrant. Graduated from a liberal arts college in the Northeast last May with a B.A. in Biology. cGPA 2.79, sGPA even lower. Struggled in orgo, physics but A's and B's in my upper level bio. 25Q MCAT. Currently getting a masters in Management with an eldercare administration concentration. 2 years of research experience, direct patient care experience, and additional extra-curricular activities included athletics, student gov, peer education, community service, part-time & full-time jobs through out college.

Good luck guys! I completed my app in Oct and received my interview invite yesterday ... interview's scheduled for April 10th.

Hi guys, i just took my mcat today so hopefully i can get everything in on time and get a good enough score. (the physical science section was rough). Good Luck Everyone!

Have an interview on April 11th! I Pray that it goes well!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you find out about your interviews ninsa and FirstLadiC21? Via e-mail or snail mail?

How did you find out about your interviews ninsa and FirstLadiC21? Via e-mail or snail mail?

Im african american. I graduated from a state school in Florida in December. I have a 2.7 sGPA however my transcript has about 8 F's on it from rough semesters in undergrad. I have 33M MCAT and have done a semester of research and was a student athlete. I also shadowed a physician for about 3 months. Did you apply to medical school this cycle as well?

Im african american. I graduated from a state school in Florida in December. I have a 2.7 sGPA however my transcript has about 8 F's on it from rough semesters in undergrad. I have 33M MCAT and have done a semester of research and was a student athlete. I also shadowed a physician for about 3 months. Did you apply to medical school this cycle as well?
I applied this cycle but only to 2 schools because I knew my chances were slim to none. My cGPA is 3.01, sGPA is 2.96 and MCAT 26M.

I'd like to say great going first of all to all those applying to the program, and any other postbac program out the for med school as well. It's very much well worth it.

That said, if any of you would like to know any specific information regarding the program, have a practice run through interview, get some advice, mentoring, or anything else that can come to your mind then let me know.

I'm a previous success through the program and at drexel med right now. For those who have their interviews coming up maybe I'll see you on your interview days, & congrats thus far!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if this program is also for people from medically disadvantaged backgrounds?

I'd like to say great going first of all to all those applying to the program, and any other postbac program out the for med school as well. It's very much well worth it.

That said, if any of you would like to know any specific information regarding the program, have a practice run through interview, get some advice, mentoring, or anything else that can come to your mind then let me know.

I'm a previous success through the program and at drexel med right now. For those who have their interviews coming up maybe I'll see you on your interview days, & congrats thus far!! :)

Thanks Dracosrg! I really, really want to get into this program and then start as a medical student at DUCOM! I have my interview in a few weeks and I have been scouring the internet on tips on how to prepare for a medical school interview! I have been studying my application over and over again and practicing by myself lol! But would you happen to have any extra suggestions of what I should be doing, or what I should expect? I am really nervous :scared:because I want to make a good impression because Drexel has always been my number one choice of medical schools! Any adivce that you can give would be very much appreciated! I am sorry this is so long lol! :)

Thanks Dracosrg! I really, really want to get into this program and then start as a medical student at DUCOM! I have my interview in a few weeks and I have been scouring the internet on tips on how to prepare for a medical school interview! I have been studying my application over and over again and practicing by myself lol! But would you happen to have any extra suggestions of what I should be doing, or what I should expect? I am really nervous :scared:because I want to make a good impression because Drexel has always been my number one choice of medical schools! Any adivce that you can give would be very much appreciated! I am sorry this is so long lol! :)

I'm here to help. I remember how it was for me in your shoes and had I had someone to help me out along in the process it would have mad everything that much easier.
It's great you're going over your application-- you really have to know it and especially your personal statement. In general-- knowing your strengths and weaknesses is crucial as is why you want and why you feel you would be a stellar fit to the Drexel med community.

If you can get an interviewing partner that would be great (sometimes we don't notice the fillers we say when we are alone-- the 'ums' 'uhs' 'mms' 'oks') practice. If you'd like I can be your mock interviewer. I've done plenty of student interviews, have a good sense for whatbdrexel desires in student applicants and can give you more focused advice on your particular responses or experiences.
If that's something you, or anyone else here would like to do just PM me and I'll give you my # or we can Skype or vid chat via gmail and practice it out.
Sorry for the lengthy response in return!

I'm here to help. I remember how it was for me in your shoes and had I had someone to help me out along in the process it would have mad everything that much easier.
It's great you're going over your application-- you really have to know it and especially your personal statement. In general-- knowing your strengths and weaknesses is crucial as is why you want and why you feel you would be a stellar fit to the Drexel med community.

If you can get an interviewing partner that would be great (sometimes we don't notice the fillers we say when we are alone-- the 'ums' 'uhs' 'mms' 'oks') practice. If you'd like I can be your mock interviewer. I've done plenty of student interviews, have a good sense for whatbdrexel desires in student applicants and can give you more focused advice on your particular responses or experiences.
If that's something you, or anyone else here would like to do just PM me and I'll give you my # or we can Skype or vid chat via gmail and practice it out.
Sorry for the lengthy response in return!

Hi, Draco. I was just recently invited to Interview for DPMS on 3/21/2013. I am new to SDN, and I am so glad to find this thread. I would like to meet you. Please send me your number. My email is [email protected]. I am planning to go on either 4/10, 4/11 or 4/17.

Hi, Joel. Meeting up with you wouldn't be a problem. Just need to figure out when. I take it you're in the Philly area? I'm close to the med school in east falls and drive everywhere so it won't be an issue for me.
I'll email you with my #. That's absolutely fantastic news on your upcoming interview-- congratulations!! It's just one in a series of steps on becoming a doc :)

Hi everyone, I'm a current DPMSer, so feel free to ask any questions!

My housemate and I are hosting one female candidate per Interview! You'll have your own room, cheaper than any bed&breakfast and literally across the street from DUCOM. Plus, we'll help with your interview prep.

If you're interested in staying with us, pm or email me ([email protected]) with your Contact info, Interview date and how you'll be getting to Philly.

Good luck guys!

Last edited:
Did anyone receive a confirmation email or anything after they submitted their application? I just can't find anywhere to check the status of my application or the materials they received. I haven't heard anything at all.

Did anyone receive a confirmatl or anything after they submitted their application? I just can't find anywhere to check the status of my application or the materials they received. I haven't heard anything at all.

Depending on when you sent it will take a bit of time to process it. They have assistance in the office that checks the material completion by hand. If too much time has elapsed I'd give the office a call to ensure they received your application and submissions. Theyll at least have that information. It's all time sensitive so I'd choose to call and be informed rather than not. When I went through the process I received verbal confirmation and that it would be reviewed shortly.
If any questions pop up in the meantime ask away or if you desire some insight into what they're likely to ask and look for in their applicants. Myself--current med student who successfully went through the program and is here to help you all out :)
All the best in your pursuits!!

Did anyone receive a confirmation email or anything after they submitted their application? I just can't find anywhere to check the status of my application or the materials they received. I haven't heard anything at all.

I understand your worries! I completed my application in early November but did not get a message until December! Just hang in there, they are probably really busy over there but I am sure they will get to you soon! :)

I'm completing the application now.
the personal statement is the most difficult part. :/

Good luck everyone!

Does anyone know if there is a disadvantage in applying later? I know that it is rolling admissions, but based on last years forum people got acceptances as late as two weeks before the start of class.

Does anyone know if there is a disadvantage in applying later? I know that it. s rolling admissions, but based on last years forum peopwa
le got acceptances as late as two weeks before the start of class.

As far as being looked at in a disfavorable manner? I would say no based on my own personal account. They have set interview date limits for the program. I was accepted 1 week prior to the beginning of the summer session. It was more stressful for me I'll say not knowing so close . Also, on the off chance they meet their limit for the program early on you'd have list the chance to interview. If you can get it done sooner go with that.

Does anyone know if there is a disadvantage in applying later? I know that it is rolling admissions, but based on last years forum people got acceptances as late as two weeks before the start of class.
It is not rolling admissions. Acceptance decisions are sent out at the same time for everyone, which has generally been about two weeks prior to the start of summer session. The committee actually meets and does a final review of all the interviewed candidates. That said, you obviously shouldn't wait until the absolute deadline, in case you have to resend or verify documents, then don't end up getting an interview invite, which is a rolling process.

Hope that helps.

I understand your worries! I completed my application in early November but did not get a message until December! Just hang in there, they are probably really busy over there but I am sure they will get to you soon! :)
Received application complete email yesterday....

Received application complete email yesterday....

How long did it take you to get the email after you sent your transcripts and MCAT scores? I sent mine two weeks ago and they still don't have them.

How long did it take you to get the email after you sent your transcripts and MCAT scores? I sent mine two weeks ago and they still don't have them.
Maybe two weeks.

Hey Guys,

I was regretfully not accepted. It seems they are dishing out decisions today. I applied to MSP as well and had the interview today so we shall see. Good luck to everyone else.

Hey Guys,

I was regretfully not accepted. It seems they are dishing out decisions today. I applied to MSP as well and had the interview today so we shall see. Good luck to everyone else.

Can I ask what your stats are? My stats are low so I want to see where I match up.

Hey I saw you ask someone there stats..if you dont mind me asking what are yours?

Do they combine mcat scores to determine if you meet the mcat requirement?

Do the recommenders mail the letters? Also, what is the address?
Or is there some way they can submit their letters online?
Thanks!

MIne are pretty low as well, could you share your stats please?

Thanks

Do the recommenders mail the letters? Also, what is the address?
Or is there some way they can submit their letters online?
Thanks!

You or the recommenders can mail the letters in. If you decide to mail the recomm letters in make sure it contains a letter head, original signature, and sealed.
The Address:
Office of Professional Studies in the Health Sciences
Drexel University College of Medicine
New College Building, Room 4104
245 North 15th Street, Mail Stop 344
Philadelphia, PA 19102

hey Dracosrg...I have a question for you. Would you say that the workload is overall doable, or was it tough to maintain the required GPA for the program. Also did a good amount of people in your class get accepted into drexel the following year?

Last edited:
Workload is definitely doable. It may be overwhelming at first but everyone's experience is a little different.
For myself, biochem was the most time intensive. Things just didn't seem to click with me and biochem, but wouldnt you know it, after the summer session and first test of the academic year me and biochem came into an understanding that I was holding the reigns :) I honored that class and my others except for biostats.

Overall--80% matriculation from my class (went onto med school after dpms program). Others, decided to do something else after not succeeding in the program & others just drifted away without me knowing what happened to them.

The workload is doable b/c you are doing only 3 main classes really of the med school curriculum. The two high time requiring classes will be biochem and physio. The other classes are more of pure memorization & less critical thinking in my opinion. Good thing is, the summer session gives you the opportunity to fine tune your study and time management habbits and you get to see about 2 exams worth of material in that short time. So, come the true academic year when grades really matter--- you're ahead of the curb in already having seen the information (kinda like knowing the answers to a jepeordy rerun b/c you watched the original previously).

Any other Qs about the program, interview, social life, etc etc.... just keep on asking!! :)

hey Dracosrg...I have a question for you. Would you say that the workload is overall doable, or was it tough to maintain the required GPA for the program. Also did a good amount of people in your class get accepted into drexel the following year?
Forgot to quote your Q in my previous reply.
Maintaining the GPA throughout the year...most times the class is right at the curve of the med student average (you have to be at or above the med student average to succeed)...so that would mean that most individuals will be above the curve of the med students on exams. You'll get better and better with each round at test taking and understanding the material.
I'll admit, my first biochem test was a failure in my mind (72% w/ average of 89% of the med students)... I thought I was done and this was after the summer session. But, I tweaked my studying, and did fantastic all the way through.