Drexel DPMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I interviewed Dr. Walker said the although there were 40 spots, that doesn't necessarily mean they were going to accept 40 applicants. I doubt there will be a waitlist for this program. I think whoever they have accepted at this point is who they will admit into the program. I could be wrong though(don't come for me)! Just voicing my thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When I interviewed Dr. Walker said the although there were 40 spots, that doesn't necessarily mean they were going to accept 40 applicants. I doubt there will be a waitlist for this program. I think whoever they have accepted at this point is who they will admit into the program. I could be wrong though(don't come for me)! Just voicing my thoughts.
Lol you're right tho

Guys, I think that you shouldn't read into it too much. The people who made contract did the work they were supposed to. They outlined what we needed to do and you basically need to make it happen. Some students complain about the disorganization but life won't present everything to you on a silver plate! How do you guys think medical school will be or a medical career? Don't think that sitting in the library alone will make it work. If some students spent more time studying and less time talking then maybe things would have turned out differently for them.

Some students complain about support but what do they expect Dr. Walker to do? The student is the one that got a 72 average in a class, not her. She isn't going to change grades, that doesn't do anyone a favor. This is a very busy time for the office and they are working as hard as they can.

Hopefully some of you will join us as future dragons

Members don't see this ad :)

There have been small waitlists in the past but it is difficult to accept more students because of the relatively short time period between acceptances being delivered and matriculation.

Thank God!

Officially rejected:
Thank you for applying to Drexel University. After careful consideration of your application, the Admissions Committee has determined that we are unable to offer you admission.

Now I can start mentally preparing myself for the masters program I got into.
Peace y'all!

Thank God!

Officially rejected:
Thank you for applying to Drexel University. After careful consideration of your application, the Admissions Committee has determined that we are unable to offer you admission.

Now I can start mentally preparing myself for the masters program I got into.
Peace y'all!
was it a portal or email?

Hey everyone, I thought I'd let everyone know that I withdrew my acceptance. Some of the above posts hit on my reasons why, but PM me if you would like more information that I gathered to make my decision.

Came back to see how y'all were doing. Those of you who have extra applications added to their portals, it sounds like they submitted your file for review for one of the other programs. In any case shameless plug to come join me in the IMS class for the fall! It may not be a guaranteed acceptance but the 3.5 gpa requirement for an interview to DUCOM sounds like a better deal to me than waiting around to reapply next year. Deadline is July 21st ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Guys don't be discouraged. Remember the reason why you have applied to this. If you are able to apply to medical school directly this year (with good scores) then this probably was never the path for you. If you do not have the scores and likely to take post bac to increase your scores then this is a golden opportunity. Most postbac will give you a certificate but you'll get a master's degree and a guarantee (of course if you make the contract). Stop doubting yourself. Try to believe in you. It's doable. I have a friend who was in Track I and she made it. Everyone is not the same but give yourself some credits. If I didn't apply for this, I would have waited 2 years because I wasn't ready for regular admission this year (but that's me). #My opinion #you may disagree but I wish that someone can relate to this

Has everyone heard something via email, phone or portal at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
I take that back, I now know why my portal blanked out yesterday. When I went to the portal it was still saying complete and under review, buuuuut it's because they decided to add the Master of Biomedical Science to my app. That's why it showed I applied yesterday. I noticed in the top, right corner that now there was a drop down with 2 applications. I went to the other one and now have a rejection

Attachments

• IMG_0092.PNG
    IMG_0092.PNG
    230.4 KB · Views: 96
I take that back, I now know why my portal blanked out yesterday. When I went to the portal it was still saying complete and under review, buuuuut it's because they decided to add the Master of Biomedical Science to my app. That's why it showed I applied yesterday. I noticed in the top, right corner that now there was a drop down with 2 applications. I went to the other one and now have a rejection
So they added you to a program you did not even agree to apply to and then reject you from that said program and give you a mini heart attack?

Same, we're both under consideration for their biomedical sciences program:

"Students who take the full biomedical studies curriculum and meet certain GPA and MCAT requirements will be offered the opportunity to interview for admission into Drexel's MD program"

Goddamn it Drexel. Stop it. Just stop it.
Enough with these promises FFS

So they added you to a program you did not even agree to apply to and then reject you from that said program and give you a mini heart attack?
They rejected me from DPMS, applied me to the Master of Biomedical Science program

Why haven't some of us heard back yet? Its June 7...

Why haven't some of us heard back yet? Its June 7...

4 letters my friend: DGAF
On that note, can someone tell me how i may withdraw my application if I have not heard back yet. Do I email the committee like with the accepted students (although I have heard even that doesn't work)?

Also, when Ms. Walker finally decides to answer her phone, i'll be having a few words with her. The way that applicants have been treated this cycle is absolutely disgusting, and I really do NOT want to hear from people who have been accepted both this year and last. Ya'll haven't been put in this deplorable situation. We have! And it is ultimately "we" who have been stuck in limbo waiting for a yay or nay.

Ok I'm done o_O:rolleyes:
Had to get that off my chest

Reactions: 3 users
On that note, can someone tell me how i may withdraw my application if I have not heard back yet. Do I email the committee like with the accepted students (although I have heard even that doesn't work)?

Also, when Ms. Walker finally decides to answer her phone, i'll be having a few words with her. The way that applicants have been treated this cycle is absolutely disgusting, and I really do NOT want to hear from people who have been accepted both this year and last. Ya'll haven't been put in this deplorable situation. We have! And it is ultimately "we" who have been stuck in limbo waiting for a yay or nay.

you took that right out of my mouth!!! Had to be said . Ive called walker atleast five times and she has not answered. I dont even know who to contact at this point!

I want my application fee back!!

Reactions: 2 users
Its almost 1600 so I guess another day has come and gone and no word. I wonder how they sleep at night knowing there's applicants out there waiting with bated breath for the verdict!

Reactions: 1 users
Lol I almost developed an anxiety disorder waiting to hear back until I did. Believe me guys, I know what it feels like. I too think that they treated the applicants poorly this year. I literally had to put everything on hold for this. I honestly hope that you all get some good news.

I just spoke with some lady who helps Dr. Walker and she confirmed that the College of medicine has already sent out all the acceptances for this year. Its just a shame we had to wait this long to find this out. Such bs..

I just spoke with some lady who helps Dr. Walker and she confirmed that the College of medicine has already sent out all the acceptances for this year. Its just a shame we had to wait this long to find this out. Such bs..

Which number did you call?

What number did you call?

represent!

After a lot of thinking, I finally withdrew my acceptance to DPMS and will instead be participating in the UC Consortium.
Good luck to everyone and to whoever takes my spot!

So guys I've been accepted to both the Drexel DPMS and VCOM post bacs. Give me some advice

Drexel:
MD school*
match/residency opportunities *
No mandatory lecture
No Dress code
Philly

Cons:
Have to retake MCAT *
More expensive (70k) *
Less Postbac to Med school Matriculation rates *
New Med school curriculum
Higher living costs

VCOM:
High matriculation rate 75%+ avg *
Cheaper living/tuition
Very supportive faculty/upperclass
Don't have to retake MCAT *

Cons:
DO school*
Mandatory lecture
Dress code*
OMM*
Match/residency opportunities*
Need consigner for personal loan since no federal provided for program *

I'm still leaning towards Drexel but idk feel like VCOM has some really nice high matriculation rates and I wouldn't have to retake mcat. All I have to worry about is the course grade. That sounds really tempting

Only issue is i don't know what I want to do as a speciality and don't want to limit myself in the future, especially considering the 2020 residencies merge.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

After all the BS, I would honestly go with VCOM but I would switch it up. One of the annoying things about DPMS, is that you can't apply to other medical schools. I'm assuming VCOM won't have that same stipulation. So perhaps you could go to VCOM, and then apply to URM, low tier, and your state MD schools as back-up (should be >10 MD schools). Not sure if that's appealing, but that's definitely what I would do.

Also, if you're worried about financing your application: apply for the AAMC Fee Assistance Program

So my two cents. I got my acceptance sunday. Just found out 5 mins ago I'm track 2 (thank you jesus).

I was living in LA until may 15. I moved to ny on may 16. Attended the interview on may 18. Since Drexel took so long to interview me for DPMS I had already put down a deposit for a 2 Year MBS there. As back up. Started a tutoring job on may 24 In NYC, my plan was to work there until August when mbs started but I had to quit Monday. Last day was yesterday. Today, Wednesday I went to Philly to look at apartments. All this while staying in my friends basement with my dog who has cancer. Yes Its hectic af but when you really want something. ..

And some of us understand the program limitations from the beginning. I have been rejected from medical school for two cycles now. I'm EVERY minority I just don't have the grades. That BS that POC get in from affirmative action is a LIE. I would much rather bust my ass for DPMS and put up with administration and burocratic nonsense that reapply through regular admission. That process is excruciating, expensive, cruel, disgusting, exploitative...don't get me going.

Please, if you're still thinking about it WITHDRAW so others can have your spot.

The people waiting: I love you all stay strong and if you end up on a back up program, I'll be your friend still. Call email knock all the doors.

Reactions: 6 users
I got my acceptance today at 6:30pm via email. Don't lose hope if you haven't heard. I interviewed on May 4th.

So I just got information that I'm track one even though I scored a 506. I bombed verbal but all my other sections were fine.

I quit my job on Monday and now I don't know what to do. Track I or II determined whether I would participate but no one responded to my phone calls and I had to give notice. I don't know if I want to do this program but now I'm unemployed.

Last edited:
So I just got information that I'm track one even though I scored a 506. I bombed by verbal but all my other sections were fine.

I quit my job on Monday and now I don't know what to do. Track I or II determined whether I would participate but no one responded to my phone calls and I had to give notice. I don't know if I want to do this program but now I'm unemployed.
Wow.. with such score? Verbal sucks it was my downfall too. There lots of job during summer season, I'm sure you'll find something if you don't want to attend. Goodluck!

Wow.. with such score? Verbal sucks it was my downfall too. There lots of job during summer season, I'm sure you'll find something if you don't want to attend. Goodluck!

I just got promoted and started making six figures. I can't just find another job. I actually had a career. I'm really stuck due to the disorganization of this program. I studied for the MCAT for 8 months while working full time. I wish someone would've told me the track before I interviewed or when I got accepted. I spoke with several admission counselors and they told me not to retake the MCAT bc I scored fine on verbal on the old mcat.

I could've taken months off work to study for the mcat instead of paying $50k for this program.

I'm hysterically crying right now.

Google Maps

Last edited:
I just got promoted and started making six figures. I can't just find another job. I actually had a career. I'm really stuck due to the disorganization of this program. I studied for the MCAT for 8 months while working full time. I wish someone would've told me the track before I interviewed or when I got accepted. I spoke with several admission counselors and they told me not to retake the MCAT bc I scored fine on verbal on the old mcat.

I could've taken months off work to study for the mcat instead of paying $50k for this program.

Google Maps
That's unfortunate :/

Google Maps
Can you speak to your old boss? Perhaps they'd understand where you're coming from

I haven't received an email or a portal update at all. Perhaps I was waitlisted?

So I just got information that I'm track one even though I scored a 506. I bombed verbal but all my other sections were fine.

I am so sorry you are in this situation. What a horrible place to be. I agree with the person who said to speak to your boss. It's embarrasing but it will KEEP you the job.

May I ask why you don't want to attend Track 1?

I am so sorry you are in this situation. What a horrible place to be. I agree with the person who said to speak to your boss. It's embarrasing but it will KEEP you the job.

Last edited: