Drexel DPMS 2014-15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will not be bringing a car. My current car is too old and won't survive the travel :(
Therefore, I'm seeking suggestions for a convenient, yet quiet area. Seems like the struggle is real.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you gotten an email about paying the deposit. I haven't gotten anything from Dr.Walker or anyone besides Kelli Kennedy yet
Got the email earlier today. Supposedly, deposit is due ASAP along with a personal data form. Prob, she just hasn't gotten to you yet.

Not even a peep from Drexel, not a rejection even. Anyone on the same boat?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@POT_MED_STUDENT14 are you female because I will be bringing a car downin August unless it is to ridiculous to find parking (and pay for it) and need a roommate (has to be female)

You all will have plenty of time to find room mates. I like the ambition though! I strongly recommend to enjoy the summer, study the first 2 modules of biochem ONLY, maybe a couple hours/day, and just have fun and get to know each other the rest of the time. The better you are as a group, the better the outcome will be and the more of you will make it. Get to know people and find a good room mate that you know you'll be able to live with, you have plenty of time to find house.

Random possible stupid question. Im from Florida and haven't been in snow since moving from Chicago ten years ago. Should I wait til im in Philadelphia to buy basic winter clothes (like a coat) or will a Burlington Coat factory in Tampa be fine. (Mom wants me to have a coat way before it gets cold )

Yeah I would get a coat, weather is unpredictable plus its always best to have northeast basics and I'm sure a coat would be cheeper in florida during the summer.

Yay, I got a yes as well!!! I seriously did not expect it.. I am so thankful!

I guess I'll see everyone in two weeks.. just gave my two weeks notice at the hospital today (more like few days notice haha!) ! I can't wait to get back to school!

Also, I'm taking my car and basically everything that'll fit it in it since I'm coming from Texas! EEEEEK! It's a good thing I love road trips because this will definitely be a trek! Anyone else coming from Texas?! Where's everyone from? I'm selling all my furniture and starting over again.. I mean, why not.. anyone have any other plans on how to transport stuff that's pretty cheap? I called uhaul and other companies and they estimated 2000 and up.. It's not even worth it because I'm assuming there's no storage where we can place random furniture while we're at the dorms, right?

Anyways, yes.. someone should start a Facebook group.. I tried but it asked me to add a group member.. and I didn't have anyone to add so that didn't go too well.. I'm also not very Facebook savvy haha! Alrighty...I must go study for the MCAT.. which I take this Friday fjakljfda! Everything happening so fast but I am definitely very grateful for the opportunity and can't wait to meet anyone!

Ya'll are talking about the weather makes me cold already.. I'm seriously a lizard, don't retain heat, love warmth.. but hey, I don't care.. we've been given an opportunity that'll open the door to our dream and I'm just ecstatic.. plus it's Rocky Balboa's birthplace (p.s. huuuuge Rocky fan, I have all six of them!!!). All of us warm weather people can go on a shopping date and buy scarves, gloves, jackets, wool socks.. once we get there! I know at least in my case, I'm going to wait because I'm sure there's better and more stuff up there than down here in 110 F weather!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@POT_MED_STUDENT14 are you female because I will be bringing a car downin August unless it is to ridiculous to find parking (and pay for it) and need a roommate (has to be female)
Yes, I am a female. I intend to live alone. For sure, I will need help with rides. Willing to contribute towards gas. Excited to meet you all in 2 wks.

Hi All,

Somehow by the grace of God, I made it. Haha! Phew... Anyway, I hope you all are surviving the wait, it's definitely the hardest part. You should hear back by the end of the week. Good luck! I will happily give people rides from the airport-- sadly I have to charge since I'm poor, BUT I will only charge $25 whereas a cab will be $40-$50! Just message me if you're interested. Best of luck to you all, stay positive, I was definitely a long shot applicant.
Are you still up for airport pick up? I may be flying in on Sunday June 22nd from WI. May need your help. Will update for sure later this evening. Bringing two luggages. I believe we are staying at Race Street Residencies in West Philly.

I am so excited and looking forward to getting to know my DPMS class.

Has anyone heard or read anything about the Race street dorms we're staying in?

Just that we are in suite style living with a roommate and two suite mates

i have gotten no email regarding my application. very disappointed at the administration. At this point I assume its a silent rejection. Would have been nice to at least gotten an email.

i have gotten no email regarding my application. very disappointed at the administration. At this point I assume its a silent rejection. Would have been nice to at least gotten an email.

Well most people found out on Friday but there is a good chance you will hear something on monday. Hopefully good news!

So did anyone start a Facebook group yet? I searched for it and did not find anything. If its okay with everyone and no one has made one yet, I will make one tomorrow titled:
Drexel DPMS 2014-2015

Hopefully that works. Look out for it in the upcoming day or so.

@QnnaQ I would check every email address you ever open because I found the deposit email in my aol account which I haven't used since 09

I can't find the page on Facebook. Can you post a link please

Where is the personal date link that we need to submit with our deposit. Also how is everyone doing that by mail?

Last edited:
Its on tbe orientation page first link and yes have to mail it in. I would email Dr.Walker to 4ell her it will be in a little late

Has everyone filled out a FAFSA? 24+50+50+50+50 = $224,000

Do you think I completely could not have my spot held if my payment and paperwork come in Tuesday?

I would call Dr.Walker to let her know that. Also did you email kelli Kennedy the acceptance letter

This year is 26+ Activities etc. (aka-28 plus housing)

My mistake; $226,000 on tuition alone. Roughly $250,000 when u consider living, books, and eating? All while making NO money.

Yeahhh this is expensive but worth it in the end

I mean, it is a lot of money.. but it's worth it if you get to do what love for the rest of your life. As cheesy as that sounds, it's an investment on our happiness.

Two things that I'm considering :

1) Join navy or air force.. depending on the residency you're interested in. They'll pay for your med school as long as you pay them back by working for them after residency. Example... they pay for four years of med school, you work four years at one of their hospitals. I'm highly considering this option. Recruiters will be honest with you.. there will always be a chance that you are assigned to a dangerous location.. but it is not common, especially because they just invested a quarter million dollars on you. One of the doctors I shadowed this did this and she got to jump out of helicopters...apart from practicing medicine, of course..pretty cool.

2) Apply to your state schools. I'm also doing this just in case because med schools in Texas are very inexpensive.

As part of the DPMS program isn't it required that we go the medical school at drexel and not apply to other schools?

Oh.. I guess I'll have to check with Dr. Walker before I submit my apps then!

Hey guys,

That is right— you are bound to attend Drexel. Infact, when you fill out your AMCAS later, Drexel will be the only option when you go to select school. You can't even apply anywhere else if you wanted. If you miss contract, and continue with DPMS 2 or whatever, then you'll be able to apply elsewhere once again. Kind of sucks.... And now they don't even give us IPads anymore... So mad >_<

Hey guys,

That is right— you are bound to attend Drexel. Infact, when you fill out your AMCAS later, Drexel will be the only option when you go to select school. You can't even apply anywhere else if you wanted. If you miss contract, and continue with DPMS 2 or whatever, then you'll be able to apply elsewhere once again. Kind of sucks.... And now they don't even give us IPads anymore... So mad >_<

Arghhh that really does stink!

Hello Everyone! Congrats on being accepted into the Drexel Pathway to Medical School Program! I just completed DPMS and was in Track 2. It is truly an exceptional program! I look forward to meeting all of you very soon! Let me know if you have any questions. I would also suggest joining the Facebook group! I see the link posted above!

I haven't heard a peep. Not even a lick. What is going on?

As part of the DPMS program isn't it required that we go the medical school at drexel and not apply to other schools?

Yes, as part of DPMS you have to apply to Drexel early assurance , like early decision.

Released my spot to Drexel yesterday, hope someone off the waitlist gets it! Cheers

And the office hasn't received my deposit yet mehhhh

I havent heard anything!!! I went ahead and accepted another postbac/masters program elsewhere.
What SMP/Post bacc will you be attending. Same here! Really disappointed that I didnt hear anything.

What SMP/Post bacc will you be attending. Same here! Really disappointed that I didnt hear anything.
------

I will be attending LMU-DCOM post bac. Really good program. Take classes with med students. If you do well (a or b ) in Gross anatomy + other 1 year schools, you wont have to take them 1st year! You still have time to apply! But that's only if you are interested in DO schools.

I will be attending Touro NV -- I don't believe that I will be able to waive the med school classes I take, but I'm okay with that.