Drexel DPMS 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... did anybody else apply to this program?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I did. But I don't think we'll hear back from them until late April when the deadline is passed.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not anti-DPMS or anything but do not go the DPMS route if a DIY postbac or anot MCAT retake is enough to make you a competitive applicant.

Anyone that submitted an AMCAS application this cycle and got no love should contact Ohio State about their medpath program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not anti-DPMS or anything but do not go the DPMS route if a DIY postbac or anot MCAT retake is enough to make you a competitive applicant.

Anyone that submitted an AMCAS application this cycle and got no love should contact Ohio State about their medpath program.

Hey 4444,
I'm not discounting your claims, but is there any way that you could explain on this further? Are you currently a DPMS student, or know someone who was? I thought the requirement for matriculation was pretty clear cut: 125 at least in each section and a 3.2 GPA or higher in the program

Hey 4444,
I'm not discounting your claims, but is there any way that you could explain on this further? Are you currently a DPMS student, or know someone who was? I thought the requirement for matriculation was pretty clear cut: 125 at least in each section and a 3.2 GPA or higher in the program

DPMS is fine but there are just cheaper alternatives than DPMS and Drexel for many students. If your GPA is low a DIY postbac at a community college or state school is a better option than DPMS. DPMS is really only ideal for someone with a lower than average GPA and low MCAT score (after taking the MCAT more than once).

The rate of matriculation from DPMS into Drexel is 50%. A 3.2 GPA is not unrealistic but I was told students had trouble achieving the B+ requirement in biochemistry two years ago. For those that do not fulfill the entrance requirement they would have wasted $40k-$50k on a program that does not improve their chances if they opt to reapply to other schools.

Also, look up the cost of attendance at Drexel. Think long term, do more research on what you really need to do to increase your chances at as many medical schools as possible. DPMS is a fine choice after you've exhausted other avenues.

DPMS is fine but there are just cheaper alternatives than DPMS and Drexel for many students. If your GPA is low a DIY postbac at a community college or state school is a better option than DPMS. DPMS is really only ideal for someone with a lower than average GPA and low MCAT score (after taking the MCAT more than once).

The rate of matriculation from DPMS into Drexel is 50%. A 3.2 GPA is not unrealistic but I was told students had trouble achieving the B+ requirement in biochemistry two years ago. For those that do not fulfill the entrance requirement they would have wasted $40k-$50k on a program that does not improve their chances if they opt to reapply to other schools.

Also, look up the cost of attendance at Drexel. Think long term, do more research on what you really need to do to increase your chances at as many medical schools as possible. DPMS is a fine choice after you've exhausted other avenues.

Ah I see! And biochemistry is a B-word. Human Phys and Cell Bio are more my forté. Still, this is all information I've recovered from past threads. I totally understand where you're coming from though. I'll keep your advice into consideration, but my app is already submitted.

Few questions:

1. Can we send more than 3 letters of recommendation?
2. How long should the DPMS essay be?
3. Where did you put your extra curricular activities?

Few questions:

1) I believe three is the max

2) Quality is better than quantity, just get your point across with 1-2 pages

3) There is no field to enter each EC individually however, you can include them in your resume

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do you guys know when we hear back from them for the interviews?

Few questions:

Lol I submitted my application in December, so I have no idea what I wrote! I'm kind of worried that I rushed, but I won't sweat it. I def do NOT want to bald before my thirties

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol looks like all of 5 people are applying, so go ahead!!

I applied to DPMS as well! Also sent an application to IMS (as per their suggestion) and just got accepted to IMS. Anyone else do both?

I got accepted to MBS and I applied to DPMS as well

Hi everyone!

Was curious as if there are any current students out there to answer some questions:

1) Can anyone confirm what the matriculation percent is of DPMS into the Med Class
2) Does anyone know the conditional acceptance requirements for gpa and mcat in order to be guaranteed a spot for this cycle? I heard they might have changed since last year.
3) Is the matriculation cycle the immediate cycle after the program or one more year after? For example, for those of us starting the program this August, would the conditional matriculation be for Fall 2018? or Fall 2019?
4) What's the class size of the program?

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi everyone!

Was curious as if there are any current students out there to answer some questions:

1) Can anyone confirm what the matriculation percent is of DPMS into the Med Class
2) Does anyone know the conditional acceptance requirements for gpa and mcat in order to be guaranteed a spot for this cycle? I heard they might have changed since last year.
3) Is the matriculation cycle the immediate cycle after the program or one more year after? For example, for those of us starting the program this August, would the conditional matriculation be for Fall 2018? or Fall 2019?
4) What's the class size of the program?

Thanks so much in advance!

I am not a current student but I can answer some of your questions

1) From previous threads it seems like the matriculation rate is around 60 percent.

2) You have to get a 3.2 gpa in the program and also have an mcat score in the 45th percentile with no subsection lower than the 45 percent

3) if you are accepted this year be ready to start Medical school right after the program is done so matriculation will be in the Fall of 2018

4) I believe the class size is about 45-50

I am not a current student but I can answer some of your questions

1) From previous threads it seems like the matriculation rate is around 60 percent.

2) You have to get a 3.2 gpa in the program and also have an mcat score in the 45th percentile with no subsection lower than the 45 percent

3) if you are accepted this year be ready to start Medical school right after the program is done so matriculation will be in the Fall of 2018

4) I believe the class size is about 45-50

Hi Arsenal!

Appreciate your help. I am curious as to why the matriculation rate is that low.... if acceptance is basically guaranteed, why isn't it higher? Are you considering applying/have you applied?

Hi Arsenal!

Appreciate your help. I am curious as to why the matriculation rate is that low.... if acceptance is basically guaranteed, why isn't it higher? Are you considering applying/have you applied?

Two things
1) if you have to take the mcat again it's hard to study for that exam and also study for your med school courses

2) From what I've read on previous threads there seems to be very poor support system in the program.

I already applied I am just waiting to hear back from them.

I am going to wait for a couple more days... I hope I get into DPMS

I feel you. It's also $500 you dont get back. I already put a deposit down at another program so I am going to wait for DPMS.

Hey guys, former DPMS student and current 3rd year medical student at DUCOM. In Summary- Program is difficult, about 60% of my class matriculated. Having said that, if you do well and barely miss out, you have a descent chance of matriculating into another medical school - Ex) my friend missed it because of low MCAT score, but he had a GPA of 3.6 at the end of DPMS, matriculated into UNC the next year. My suggestion- Apply if you feel like it's your last chance and are willing to work harder than ever before. If you are already a good applicant, do an MBA/ research or a one year Master's and then reapply to medical school.

Now, for some shameless promotion. COME NETWORK FOR FREE!!!

Hello Pre-Health Students!

The Latino Medical Student Association is proud to invite you to our 12th annual National Conference at Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine on Long Island taking place from April 7-9, 2017 (Register Now: lmsa.me/2017NC). We invite you for a conference full of information about applying and planning for medical school, networking opportunities with medical students, residents and faculty, and a multitude of medical workshops ranging from hands-on activities to seminars on health equity and policy.
Due to the overwhelming support from our sponsors, we are now offering free admission for all pre-health student to the National Conference. To receive free admission, you must register as a pre-health student with LMSA.net ($15.00, sign up here to become a lifetime pre-health member of LMSA with access to all LMSA mentorship, outreach and scholarship opportunities). This will drop your price for a ticket from $115.00 to $0.00. Upon arrival at our registration table at Hofstra, you will be reimbursed via check for your LMSA Membership making the conference and membership free for all pre-health attendees. If you have already registered as pre-health student, you will also be reimbursed for all conference and membership fees!
We have 70 different medical schools programs from across the country attending our exhibition fair that will be vying for your attention and giving out contact information!
To learn more about LMSA, how you can get involved in your community, and to register for our annual conference, visit our website, lmsa.me/2017NC. Space is filling fast so please be sure to register early. If you have any questions, contact us at [email protected].
Sincerely,

Eric Rodolfo Molina
National President | 2016-2017
Latino Medical Student Association
M.D. Candidate | Baylor College of Medicine MSTP
Ph.D. Candidate | Rice University Department of Bioengineering
B.S. Stanford University 2011
[email protected]

Hey guys, former DPMS student and current 3rd year medical student at DUCOM. In Summary- Program is difficult, about 60% of my class matriculated. Having said that, if you do well and barely miss out, you have a descent chance of matriculating into another medical school - Ex) my friend missed it because of low MCAT score, but he had a GPA of 3.6 at the end of DPMS, matriculated into UNC the next year. My suggestion- Apply if you feel like it's your last chance and are willing to work harder than ever before. If you are already a good applicant, do an MBA/ research or a one year Master's and then reapply to medical school.

Now, for some shameless promotion. COME NETWORK FOR FREE!!!

Hello Pre-Health Students!

The Latino Medical Student Association is proud to invite you to our 12th annual National Conference at Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine on Long Island taking place from April 7-9, 2017 (Register Now: lmsa.me/2017NC). We invite you for a conference full of information about applying and planning for medical school, networking opportunities with medical students, residents and faculty, and a multitude of medical workshops ranging from hands-on activities to seminars on health equity and policy.
Due to the overwhelming support from our sponsors, we are now offering free admission for all pre-health student to the National Conference. To receive free admission, you must register as a pre-health student with LMSA.net ($15.00, sign up here to become a lifetime pre-health member of LMSA with access to all LMSA mentorship, outreach and scholarship opportunities). This will drop your price for a ticket from $115.00 to $0.00. Upon arrival at our registration table at Hofstra, you will be reimbursed via check for your LMSA Membership making the conference and membership free for all pre-health attendees. If you have already registered as pre-health student, you will also be reimbursed for all conference and membership fees!
We have 70 different medical schools programs from across the country attending our exhibition fair that will be vying for your attention and giving out contact information!
To learn more about LMSA, how you can get involved in your community, and to register for our annual conference, visit our website, lmsa.me/2017NC. Space is filling fast so please be sure to register early. If you have any questions, contact us at [email protected].
Sincerely,

Eric Rodolfo Molina
National President | 2016-2017
Latino Medical Student Association
M.D. Candidate | Baylor College of Medicine MSTP
Ph.D. Candidate | Rice University Department of Bioengineering
B.S. Stanford University 2011
[email protected]

Hey thanks for posting. From your point of view What exactly makes the program difficult? And also say if someone missed the mcat requirement by a point is that still a rejection? Thanks!

The main reason is as always...the MCAT. Example, I was lucky enough to be in the group who did not have to retake the MCAT, there was a total of 13 of us- only 1 did not make it (he got a B minus in Biochem and it sunk him), out of the other 23 or so that were in the MCAT group, half or so did not make the cutoff score. Out of those 10, they took in about 2 or 3 students that were in the "bubble" and missed the score by maybe 1 point. Obviously these students had destroyed the medical school courses. BTW, These numbers do not take into consideration the 5 or so students who had dropped before the 1st semester was even over.

I firmly believe any one of us can destroy the MCAT- even verbal can be mastered with enough work. The problem is that you are trying to do both, do well in your medical school classes which are all super hard, and at the same time do better on an exam that you have already proven to be bad at. It obviously can be done, but the program gets more and more competitive every year and they keep raising the cutoffs. I believe this is strategic by the school because they cannot afford to bring in students that are not performing well ( DPMS student apparently score worse than the general students during their STEP 1 boards, but I haven't seen the numbers to prove it.)

Regardless, come to conference and bring your friends. I've had the pleasure of seeing students at conferences as premed students who have become my peers the following year- Like I like to say. "You want to be a bum, go hang out with bums. You want to be a doctor, go hang out with doctors."

MSB is an ok program for premeds who were not science majors. I would not recommended it to science majors who are now premeds- instead I would recommend a real Master's program and good basic science and or clinical research. At Drexel, very few MSP-MBS students have been accepted after they complete their year or two. IMS on the other hand is a much more competitive program that if successfuly accomplished with good scores will get you in at Drexel or somewhere even better.

The main reason is as always...the MCAT. Example, I was lucky enough to be in the group who did not have to retake the MCAT, there was a total of 13 of us- only 1 did not make it (he got a B minus in Biochem and it sunk him), out of the other 23 or so that were in the MCAT group, half or so did not make the cutoff score. Out of those 10, they took in about 2 or 3 students that were in the "bubble" and missed the score by maybe 1 point. Obviously these students had destroyed the medical school courses. BTW, These numbers do not take into consideration the 5 or so students who had dropped before the 1st semester was even over.

I firmly believe any one of us can destroy the MCAT- even verbal can be mastered with enough work. The problem is that you are trying to do both, do well in your medical school classes which are all super hard, and at the same time do better on an exam that you have already proven to be bad at. It obviously can be done, but the program gets more and more competitive every year and they keep raising the cutoffs. I believe this is strategic by the school because they cannot afford to bring in students that are not performing well ( DPMS student apparently score worse than the general students during their STEP 1 boards, but I haven't seen the numbers to prove it.)

Regardless, come to conference and bring your friends. I've had the pleasure of seeing students at conferences as premed students who have become my peers the following year- Like I like to say. "You want to be a bum, go hang out with bums. You want to be a doctor, go hang out with doctors."

I see. Thanks for your honest answers this gives me a lot to think about regarding the program

Dear current students or Alumni of DPMS or any of the masters program at Drexel, How is the financial aid here? are scholarships or grants available?

MSB is an ok program for premeds who were not science majors. I would not recommended it to science majors who are now premeds- instead I would recommend a real Master's program and good basic science and or clinical research. At Drexel, very few MSP-MBS students have been accepted after they complete their year or two. IMS on the other hand is a much more competitive program that if successfuly accomplished with good scores will get you in at Drexel or somewhere even better.

Hi,

Thank you for the honest review of the DPMS program. Would you recommend a "real" masters program such as the one year Johns Hopkins University Masters in Biotechnology program, with no linkage/guaranteed admission to the school of medicine over the DPMS program?

Here is a link to the program for your reference: Biotechnology | Advanced Academic Programs | Johns Hopkins University

Please let me know! Im interested in your thoughts.

I'm not familiar with the field of biotechnology. I am always hesitant of online courses, even from a school like Hopkins. I do want to clarify what I mean with a "real" masters program. Any masters program can help you get into medical school if you do well and become a better applicant. However, I would ask myself, "If I complete this masters program and I do not get into medical school, can I still have a fulfilling and well paying job?" If the answer is no, Run... If the answer is yes, than the program is worth it because at the very least you have something to fall back on. Personal example, when I graduated with a BS in Biology and Minors in biochemistry and math- The only job I found was as a nursing aid! I was better educated then the RN's in my hospital but I made $12 an hour. I chose DPMS- But if I had been smarter I would have taken a safer route. I was anxious and didn't want to start a 2 year program at the age of 23 followed by 10 years of medical school and residency- so I took a chance.

If you choose to do a masters, it better either guarantee you a well paying job or admission into medical school. I would talk to alumni of any program (including those that did not get into medical school) to see what they were able to do with their degree. Trust me when I tell you this, there are plenty of people in this country with a Masters and even PhD's who work at restaurants... Do not put yourself in that position.

My last story- I have a medicine shelf exam tomorrow

We know of a person who failed the DPMS program back in 2008 or so, who is currently trying to raise $2000 via go-fund me for her step2 examinations. She is currently at one of the Caribbean medical schools. Think about that, she failed the program and her only choice was a caribbean medical school that will at best get her into an unwanted residency program. She failed the DPMS program in 2008 but chose to keep trying, however this person is still not even an intern! and probably in so much debt...

At the same time, I just witnessed the class of DPMS students who are current 4th years at DUCOM who just matched last week into their residencies- a couple Surgery, lots of emergency medicine, a couple anesthesia etc..

It is a dangerous path- You need to decided on either a safe but potentially much slower path into medical school, or a more dangerous road that may get you there quicker-or not. The choice is yours.

That was a sad post I just wrote, but I want to be honest because I am passionate about minorities in medicine, and some of these programs only want your money. FYI, my girlfriend and I ask each other all the time, "why didn't we become physician assistants..."

17436120_1312116582203927_7335846362602974839_o.jpg
14707989_1158813484200905_8386019855776017975_o.jpg

Come to conference for free!!!

@Dito22 I feel you on the masters. I have two aceptances to masters programs and no interviews to medical schools schools this cycle. I am hesitant to do a masters at Drexel because I am not sure if it will gurantee me employment. Another masters I was accepted to, does guarantee me employment but is significantly more money. So better job but also more debt.
It really is just a huge gamble in which you risk some you lose some and you hope for the best.

This cycle has been so rough. stay strong fellow premed

@Dito22 I feel you on the masters. I have two aceptances to masters programs and no interviews to medical schools schools this cycle. I am hesitant to do a masters at Drexel because I am not sure if it will gurantee me employment. Another masters I was accepted to, does guarantee me employment but is significantly more money. So better job but also more debt.
It really is just a huge gamble in which you risk some you lose some and you hope for the best.

This cycle has been so rough. stay strong fellow premed

Hey! So I went to the DPMS open house last week and everything @Dito22 said was accurate. Even worse, the admin informed us that in the history of DPMS, only 1 person who didn't successfully make contract was admitted to Drexel the following application cycle. I'm am a non-traditional applicant to the DPMS program and I did complete a masters which allowed me to get a good job. Just consider all options and best of luck!

Last edited:
Hey! So I went to the DPMS open house last week and everything @Dito22 said was accurate. Even worse, the admin informed that in the history of DPMS, only 1 person who didn't successfully make contract was admitted to Drexel the following application cycle. I'm am a non-traditional applicant to the DPMS program and I did complete a masters which allowed me to get a good job. Just consider all options and best of luck!

Thank you! What masters did you complete? What kind of work did you do with it?

Thank you! What masters did you complete? What kind of work did you do with it?
Ultimately I did an MPH in Global Health with concentrations in Epidemiology and Biostatistics at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in NYC. I now work as a HIV Surveillance Data Manager at a Department of Health. It's a lot of statistical programming for epidemiological research. I will also say that, I have YEARS of patient care but none in research. So when I decided to go back to school after 2.5 of being out, I stopped working as an EMT and did an internship in global health and got into NYC DOHMH health research training program. From there I got job offers from 3 health departments across 3 states so it kinda worked out. I had a pretty crappy undergrad gpa. So I did 34 pos bac credits in science & humanities BEFORE I went to do my mph. There's mixed opinions on if an MPH "benefits" your med school application but from my convo with admission folks 1) I went to a great grad school. No one can deny the quality of education and research being done at Sinai 2) some schools count epidemiology courses as part of you upper level science gpa which helps me too and 3) the concentrations that I did are all math and applied science and I graduated with a great gpa and letters of rec. At the DPMS open house the admin did say that having a prior masters didn't make one more competitive which I thought was strange but whatever. It's been a looonnnggggg road and my debt is already a crazy but I just am too determined to stop now. I'm so close to the finish line as are YOU! Keep going!

Last edited:
I am not anti-DPMS or anything but do not go the DPMS route if a DIY postbac or another MCAT retake is enough to make you a competitive applicant.

Just reposting my initial post on here again due to @Dito22's post.

DPMS should only really be considered after exhausting all options. The students that get in to DPMS with good MCAT scores would be competitive as a regular applicant by doing a DIY postbac. Students with high GPA and low MCAT will be better served spending a gap year doing something clinical on a part-time basis while studying for the MCAT.

Isn't IMS a two year program?
IMS is a one-year program with a guaranteed interview to DUCOM if you hit the 3.5 GPA. It can turn into a 2-year if you don't make it and want to continue to get a masters (I think it turns into the MBS program).

IMS is a one-year program with a guaranteed interview to DUCOM if you hit the 3.5 GPA. It can turn into a 2-year if you don't make it and want to continue to get a masters (I think it turns into the MBS program).

Hmm, I think I may apply then. But do you know the difference btw the IMS and DPMS curriculum? Thx

Hmm, I think I may apply then. But do you know the difference btw the IMS and DPMS curriculum? Thx

The IMS program only consists of 6 classes during the first year :
  • Medical Biochemistry
  • Cell Biology & Microanatomy
  • Medical Physiology
  • Medical Nutrition
  • Medical Immunology
  • Medical Neuroscience
Master of Science in Interdepartmental Medical Science Program Curriculum - College of Medicine

The DPMS program has 10 mandatory classes + 12 credits of electives spanning the summer of 2017 - may 2018
Drexel Pathway to Medical School Program Curriculum - College of Medicine

My only apprehension with applying to the IMS program is that they're looking for MCAT scores in the 75th percentile or better :-(

So I got an email saying an admission decision has been made and told me to check the portal, when I do it still says my app is under review. Has this happened to anyone yet?

Hi,

Thank you for the honest review of the DPMS program. Would you recommend a "real" masters program such as the one year Johns Hopkins University Masters in Biotechnology program, with no linkage/guaranteed admission to the school of medicine over the DPMS program?

Here is a link to the program for your reference: Biotechnology | Advanced Academic Programs | Johns Hopkins University

Please let me know! Im interested in your thoughts.
I applied and got accepted to the JHU Masters in Biotechnology program in 2015. I ultimately didn't go because the program was very expensive and didn't offer any scholarships/grants. And like you said, there was no "guarantee" that I would have been accepted into medical school despite all of the time/money it required.

Depending on your applicant profile, you might not have to commit to a masters program at all. Like others have mentioned, sometimes you can repair parts of you application by taking a year off to do a DIY post bacc/upper level science classes or to prepare better for the MCAT. These routes are oftentimes cheaper and quicker than those 1-2 yr masters programs.

That being said, if you can get accepted into a program with linkages/conditional acceptances (and is free/full tuition covered), that's an entirely different story! :nod:

So I got an email saying an admission decision has been made and told me to check the portal, when I do it still says my app is under review. Has this happened to anyone yet?

Did you apply to more than one program?

The IMS program only consists of 6 classes during the first year :
  • Medical Biochemistry
  • Cell Biology & Microanatomy
  • Medical Physiology
  • Medical Nutrition
  • Medical Immunology
  • Medical Neuroscience
Master of Science in Interdepartmental Medical Science Program Curriculum - College of Medicine

The DPMS program has 10 mandatory classes + 12 credits of electives spanning the summer of 2017 - may 2018
Drexel Pathway to Medical School Program Curriculum - College of Medicine

My only apprehension with applying to the IMS program is that they're looking for MCAT scores in the 75th percentile or better :-(
Wow and there goes my application lol

Nope, sorry. And I submitted really early (Dec)

Hey guys!

I'm a bit confused. The website says to be a competitive applicant, you must score in the ~27th percentile.

Are students who score above the 27th percentile, then, required to retake the mcat?

And if you do not score within the range needed of a competitive applicant and you get accepted, are you still being asked to score above the 27th percentile or does it get higher?

Where is this info about the 45th percentile coming from?

Thanks!!

I have a 3.8 GPA but my MCAT score was a 493.

What would you suggest? Kind of desperate

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I'm a bit confused. The website says to be a competitive applicant, you must score in the ~27th percentile.

Are students who score above the 27th percentile, then, required to retake the mcat?

And if you do not score within the range needed of a competitive applicant and you get accepted, are you still being asked to score above the 27th percentile or does it get higher?

Thanks!!

I have a 3.8 GPA but my MCAT score was a 493. I'm in the closet and have family scattered all throughout the country. I'm picky about where I attend for kind of a safety reason and need all the help I can get. I'm choosing Drexel because they're outspokenly affirming.

Your mcat score satisfy the 27th percentile requirement for admission however if you do decide to attend the program after your acceptance they will require you to retake the mcat again. So in order to keep your seat in SOM you need to maintain at least a 3.2 gpa and also score in the 45th percentile or higher when you take the mcat again. No subsection can be lower than 45%!

Hey guys!

Thanks!!

I have a 3.8 GPA but my MCAT score was a 493. I'm in the closet and have family scattered all throughout the country. I'm picky about where I attend for kind of a safety reason and need all the help I can get. I'm choosing Drexel because they're outspokenly affirming.

Honestly though, if that is your only MCAT score, you're doing yourself a disservice. It sounds like you only took this test once. My advice...just retake and apply this cycle or next. This program is pretty expensive for someone who has a great chance of getting into a medical school, given the fact that they retook and scored above a 505