Creighton vs OHSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you choose?

• Creighton

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • OHSU

Votes: 27 62.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwmont

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
CoA is about the same, assuming I don't get in-state tuition for OHSU.

Members don't see this ad.

cost of attendance. go where you think you will be happier

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, the problem is that both schools have different strengths that would make me equally happy!

Portland is an awesome city, Oregon is an awesome state. Location-wise, OHSU >>> Creighton.

I hate OHSU...They are terrible go to Creighton

Wow, a lot of emotion on this thread! I actually agree somewhat with you zeus, OHSU seemed to have quite a few issues as pointed out by the medical students. It's funny that OHSU is ranked higher than Creighton, because as far as I can tell Creighton has a much better match list. So, despite the poll results I am looking more favorably upon Creighton.

You must be a real Nebraska hater; this is like the fifth thread where you've said a city is >>>>>>>>Omaha. You should grab a plane ticket and visit this summer. You might like it.

:wtf: :confused:

You are definitely reading into things. I think I've only posted in a thread regarding Omaha like twice and I have nothing against Nebraska. I'm not saying Omaha is a bad or crappy city, I'm saying I would much prefer Portland. I just can't be that far away from the water.

Wow, a lot of emotion on this thread! I actually agree somewhat with you zeus, OHSU seemed to have quite a few issues as pointed out by the medical students. It's funny that OHSU is ranked higher than Creighton, because as far as I can tell Creighton has a much better match list. So, despite the poll results I am looking more favorably upon Creighton.

Personally, I wouldn't base my decision largely on rankings or match lists. Do a search on match lists and how to interpret them. You'll realize that it's not a good idea to put too much weight on them.

It is funny. I always wanted to go to OHSU...I even moved to portland to be closer to OHSU while I applied. OHSU has a very nice looking campus, a BEAUTIFUL view of the city, and is in a WONDERFUL town.
It wasn't until I actually interviewed there and found out the type of people they let in, how CRAPPY and BEAT UP the school part of the campus is that I realized that even if I had to live in Omaha or Buffalo, it would be worth it to not have to deal with the people at OHSU.
1. I got waitlisted for OHSU. 2 of my friends have been waitlisted for OHSU as well and we ALL had equal or better MCAT or GPAs than the average there. We ALL were lifelong residents of Oregon from the more rural (although not so rural we were disadvantaged...) places. OHSU has a history of ****ting on Oregon residents, and accepting terrible applicants who have connections to the school. I know 3 different people from my college who got into OHSU with MCAT scores between 26-28 and GPAs that were between 3.5-3.65. They had poor moral character IMO, were in no way disadvantaged or a URM (2 of them were actually the sons of physicians). They charge a HUGE amount for Oregon residents to attend (to the point where EVERY school I was accepted to except 1 would have cost the same amount or less for me to attend even though they were all Private or OOS schools).
2. They say they want to train medical students who have an interest in practicing in Oregon yet they are one of the few "Public" schools who accept lots of people from OOS. (a few years ago it was even worse...they accepted more OOS than in-state students). I have a problem with this.
3. The school is becoming worse every year. I have no idea how they come up with primary care rankings, because a ton of crappy schools are very high on the list (and if my memory serves me even a couple of DO schools are in the top 10)...But the real rankings speak for themselves. OHSU has been falling down a pit the past several years, and from what I gathered living next to and working at the school, they will continue to fall every year until something is done.
4. They have the most disorganized application process of any school I applied to. Seriously! That was a clusterf**k
5. Looking back I am so happy I was not accepted there. I am now at a school where I am paying less and at a school that has just become higher ranked than OHSU...Our match this year and the past 10 or so years can rival any school in the top 10. We have one of the highest Step 1 scores from year to year...and the people are way cooler here.

Anyway I felt bad about saying that OHSU sucked without giving reasons or explaining myself...that was not right of me. If OHSU makes you happy...go there some people really like it. I was just left with an awful taste in my mouth after living on the hill for a year, working there and interviewing there.
Peace

It is funny. I always wanted to go to OHSU...I even moved to portland to be closer to OHSU while I applied. OHSU has a very nice looking campus, a BEAUTIFUL view of the city, and is in a WONDERFUL town.
It wasn't until I actually interviewed there and found out the type of people they let in, how CRAPPY and BEAT UP the school part of the campus is that I realized that even if I had to live in Omaha or Buffalo, it would be worth it to not have to deal with the people at OHSU.
1. I got waitlisted for OHSU. 2 of my friends have been waitlisted for OHSU as well and we ALL had equal or better MCAT or GPAs than the average there. We ALL were lifelong residents of Oregon from the more rural (although not so rural we were disadvantaged...) places. OHSU has a history of ****ting on Oregon residents, and accepting terrible applicants who have connections to the school. I know 3 different people from my college who got into OHSU with MCAT scores between 26-28 and GPAs that were between 3.5-3.65. They had poor moral character IMO, were in no way disadvantaged or a URM (2 of them were actually the sons of physicians). They charge a HUGE amount for Oregon residents to attend (to the point where EVERY school I was accepted to except 1 would have cost the same amount or less for me to attend even though they were all Private or OOS schools).
2. They say they want to train medical students who have an interest in practicing in Oregon yet they are one of the few "Public" schools who accept lots of people from OOS. (a few years ago it was even worse...they accepted more OOS than in-state students). I have a problem with this.
3. The school is becoming worse every year. I have no idea how they come up with primary care rankings, because a ton of crappy schools are very high on the list (and if my memory serves me even a couple of DO schools are in the top 10)...But the real rankings speak for themselves. OHSU has been falling down a pit the past several years, and from what I gathered living next to and working at the school, they will continue to fall every year until something is done.
4. They have the most disorganized application process of any school I applied to. Seriously! That was a clusterf**k
5. Looking back I am so happy I was not accepted there. I am now at a school where I am paying less and at a school that has just become higher ranked than OHSU...Our match this year and the past 10 or so years can rival any school in the top 10. We have one of the highest Step 1 scores from year to year...and the people are way cooler here.

Anyway I felt bad about saying that OHSU sucked without giving reasons or explaining myself...that was not right of me. If OHSU makes you happy...go there some people really like it. I was just left with an awful taste in my mouth after living on the hill for a year, working there and interviewing there.
Peace

You missed the long Keck vs. OHSU thread.

What do you think you want to specialize in?

I think most people would naturally choose OHSU over Creighton based merely on location, ie Portland >>>> Omaha. I'm probably biased, but I've lived in Omaha and visited Portland, and I loved Omaha, albeit, I'm not a left coast hippie...hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.