A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete since mid July and nothing yet :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure I'll be declining my interview invite here. I hope one of you gets it!

Reactions: 1 user
II! sGPA: 3.6 cGPA: 3.8 MCAT: 507

Reactions: 3 users
I am a first year student here at KCOM and can try to answer any questions you have if you pm me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got an email saying they'll extend an interview invite if I get 50 more shadowing hours, has anyone else received an email like this? I already have 7 II's so I can't imagine my experiences are THAT weak.

Just got an email saying they'll extend an interview invite if I get 50 more shadowing hours, has anyone else received an email like this? I already have 7 II's so I can't imagine my experiences are THAT weak.
Wow, when were you complete and how many shadowing hours do you currently have?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wut? I can understand waiting for grades or something else that's important..... but shadowing?

Reactions: 1 users
Who knows maybe it's a test to see if you really want to go there, maybe they think you won't? :shrug:

Who knows maybe it's a test to see if you really want to go there, maybe they think you won't? :shrug:

Yeah but organizing 50 shadowing hours is a pain in the ***, especially during interview season and the start of the academic year.

Yeah but organizing 50 shadowing hours is a pain in the ***, especially during interview season and the start of the academic year.

I know, I personally think shadowing in general is absolutely pointless. With one doc we saw 3 patients in 4 hours and I mostly sat in his office watching him set up his video chat program for his pc. I didn't even put it on my app it was so useless.

I know, I personally think shadowing in general is absolutely pointless. With one doc we saw 3 patients in 4 hours and I mostly sat in his office watching him set up his video chat program for his pc. I didn't even put it on my app it was so useless.

Well it doesn't matter what we think, the ADCOMS have spoken!!! I would be grateful for ANY communication from them right now lol.

That's honestly absurd about the shadowing hours. An extra 50 hours would honestly do NOTHING for me at this point lol.

Rejected...
Sorry to hear that my friend... did this just happen? I hope that you have other opportunities and that they go better. Don't give up!

Sorry to hear that my friend... did this just happen? I hope that you have other opportunities and that they go better. Don't give up!
Just got the email today....I've got 10 more schools I haven't heard from so I'm still optimistic

Just got the email today....I've got 10 more schools I haven't heard from so I'm still optimistic
Good. What were your stats, and do you remember when you were complete?

Withdrew my application. There is now an open interview spot on October 14th. I have already been accepted to some schools that I would be happy to go to, and can't afford the trip given the situation. Good luck everyone, I've only heard positives about this school.

They told me the same thing before my interview. I'd worked in an ER for 4 years and volunteered for 3 or 4 and essentially "shadowed" but had no true shadowing hours. I found a doc, got the hours in, and was accepted. I think it's really just about them checking boxes. It probably matters when you're right on the edge for them. I know it seems like a hassle, but seeing more can never hurt!

Interviewed here yesterday, and holy crow, I loved the school. The town is small but not too small, and the school itself has a great community feel. Plus, the attached museum is AWESOME!

Interviewed here yesterday, and holy crow, I loved the school. The town is small but not too small, and the school itself has a great community feel. Plus, the attached museum is AWESOME!

Happy to hear it! How was the interview itself?

Happy to hear it! How was the interview itself?

So there were three interviews--one with science faculty, one with admissions, and one with a physician. It was super conversational and actually kind of fun, although I totally felt like I ran a marathon after 1.5 hours of interviewing, haha.

What kind of questions should I expect?

So there were three interviews--one with science faculty, one with admissions, and one with a physician. It was super conversational and actually kind of fun, although I totally felt like I ran a marathon after 1.5 hours of interviewing, haha.

Thank you for this info! Best of luck to you.

What kind of questions should I expect?

As was mentioned, the interviews are very conversational in nature. It's obvious, but some really good questions to have concrete answers to are why you want to be a "osteopathic physician", what you offer the school, and why you want to go to the school. These are very important questions and you need to have a good answer. You will likely be asked these questions. Think about why you would fit into Kirksville well and how you can relate. If you are from a small town and you fit in best in that kind of environment/want to practice in a small town, bring that up. If you have family that went there, bring that up. You get the idea. I can't stress enough how important the "fit" is. Grades/MCAT are obviously important, but you could potentially be in Kirksville for 4 years if you do your rotations there too. Make sure this is what you want and make that clear to the interviewer. The rest of the interview is chill. You just shoot the ****. If you can communicate with another human being, you will be fine. But, remember to have thought out the questions I mentioned above. Don't wing it.

Reactions: 2 users
Interview here yesterday was super relaxed! Very conversational. For those interviewing just know your app and how to reflect on the activities you did. The faculty and staff were super nice, and holy crap the osteopathic med museum was awesome too! They said we should here back in 2-3 weeks.

II today, completed 8/16. Scheduled for Oct 14.

Accepted!!!!! So freaking excited! I'm not kidding I had just called my bank and let them know I'm about to put a $1500 deposit down on another school I was accepted to and they called just before I was about to pay! So lucky haha.

Interviewed 10/3. LM= 63-64

Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED via phone call!!! ECSTATIC!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users