A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys!

I received a pending approved seat but as of right now I'm not sure if I will be able to attend this year (if I was to be given a seat for this year). Does anyone know the policy at KCOM for deferring a year? Not sure if I should email the admissions committee and ask to defer until next year? I've read online that KCOM doesn't allow deferring for a year and other sources say they do. However, it may be that the people in the scholars program cannot defer but general admissions can. If anyone can provide some advice that would be great! Thanks :)
I think it depends on the situation. I would definitely email the admissions department to see what the procedure for deferring is. We had a student from our class start and end up having to defer a year because of military obligations and another student had major surgery at the beginning of the year and will also be starting this year. I think they look at it on a case by case basis so depending on your situation it might be possible. The admissions staff is extremely helpful and will be able to tell you what they require for deferral

Members don't see this ad.

Kind of a bummer email from Donna. I had hope...:(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What news did you get? I am also on the waiting list...
"Just to give you an update…….we had very little movement with the April 15th payment which is different than the typical year. As a result, I’m not sure what to expect with the rest of the cycle. A third and final payment is due May 15th for all accepted students that have a seat in the incoming class. In general, we have little movement with that payment date."

"Just to give you an update…….we had very little movement with the April 15th payment which is different than the typical year. As a result, I’m not sure what to expect with the rest of the cycle. A third and final payment is due May 15th for all accepted students that have a seat in the incoming class. In general, we have little movement with that payment date."
I received an email like this one last year. Donna told me there was way less movement than they anticipated. I was still accepted a few weeks after (first week of May) and people were given seats up until a week before school started. At this point, I'd start considering what you may do in this upcoming year, but know that there is still a decent chance that spots open up. Unfortunately, there's no way to know how high up on the list you are.

Reactions: 3 users
Emailed to be taken off the pending seat list (it is getting a bit late for me and with other acceptances I am going ahead with those). Good luck everyone still waiting!

Have any current students been in a situation where you needed to take a day or two off for a family emergency, wedding, etc.? Does KCOM work with you and help you, and were you able to catch up on what you missed?

Have any current students been in a situation where you needed to take a day or two off for a family emergency, wedding, etc.? Does KCOM work with you and help you, and were you able to catch up on what you missed?
family emergencies they definitely will help work around. They will ask for documentation and then will work with you to get excused absences so you can make up your work. Family events are not family emergencies so weddings would not count. You get a personal day but that will not allow you to make up some of your work. This is a new policy many of us are not a fan of so who knows if it will change next year but for right now it has to be an actual emergency or personal medical issue in order to get an excused absence. That saying if your event is on a day where there is no required event then you dont even need to tell them you are going. First semester there are a ton of anatomy labs which are all required but second semester is much better.

Withdrew my seat here today, hope it goes to one of you guys!

Withdrew my seat also. Goodluck to everyone!

Just got an email that the class was full. Good luck to everybody!

what did your email say?

I just got another one today asking if I'm still interested in staying on the pending seat list. Not that the class was full....their last payment date is May 15th. Hoping to know more after that!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got another one today asking if I'm still interested in staying on the pending seat list. Not that the class was full....their last payment date is May 15th. Hoping to know more after that!
okay yea thats the same email i got!

I was on a Pre-II waitlist so I'm sure its just a rejection for me lol

"Thank you for submitting an application to A.T. Still University - Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine for the entering Summer 2017 class. At this time, we have finalized our enrollment for the class and wish to inform you that your application is being closed.

However, if you wish to reapply for the ATSU-KCOM entering Summer 2018 class, AACOMAS will accept applications beginning in May 2017. We encourage you to complete your application far in advance of our February 1 deadline.

Once again, thank you for considering the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine in your application process. Please visit the KCOM web site at www.atsu.edu or contact Admissions at [email protected] if we may assist you further.

Donna Sparks, M.A.
Director - Admissions Processing"

Just got the acceptance call! So pumped!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how many weeks of dedicated study KCOM gives?

View attachment 216275 View attachment 216276 Hello! I am looking for someone to sublet my duplex in a kirksville. $600/month for a 2BR 1BA. I am willing to pay the $600 security deposit for you. The property is just down the street from the school (less than 1 mile). Please reply to this post if you're interested and I will provide more pictures!
Interested.

Just got the acceptance call! So pumped!

Just got the email that I am high on the waitlist- do you know how quickly they are giving you to accept/send in the deposit? How does their acceptance process work?

Just got the email that I am high on the waitlist- do you know how quickly they are giving you to accept/send in the deposit? How does their acceptance process work?
When did you interview/get on the waitlist, if you don't mind me asking? Still in limbo here :O

When did you interview/get on the waitlist, if you don't mind me asking? Still in limbo here :O

I interviewed early January- they said the waitlist position is based on a number of factors with your application and does not take into account when you interviewed/were accepted pending a seat.

I got the call on 5/11 and she said the acceptance packet is in the mail. Haven't received it yet. She said the first deposit is due in two weeks. Other than that, I won't know a whole lot until I get the packet.

Just got accepted off of the "pending an available seat" list. Looking for a roommate to share a 2 bedroom apartment with. I'm a female, but I really wouldn't mind a male or female roommate. I believe housing is relatively inexpensive.

Reactions: 1 users
Got the email that I was in the Top 5 on 5/17 and today Donna called to offer me a seat! Good luck to everyone still on the waitlist, just know that there is definitely movement happening.

Reactions: 3 users
I got pulled off the DA list a few days ago!! Does anyone know if there is a facebook group page for our class?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got pulled off the DA list a few days ago!! Does anyone know if there is a facebook group page for our class?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Search for ATSU- KCOM class of 2021 and ask to be added by the admin of the page. They should add you probably Tuesday when they go back to work

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Have people started receiving financial aid information yet?

So cable one or at&t internet? Everyone's opinions on this seem highly variable? I'm tempted to go at&t for price.

Have people started receiving financial aid information yet?

Nope. There was an email about a financial aid shopping sheet but that was it.

So cable one or at&t internet? Everyone's opinions on this seem highly variable? I'm tempted to go at&t for price.

I love cable one! It is extremely fast and we have never had an issue. I have heard people from both sides have bad experiences. My advice would be to ask people in your area what they use and how reliable it is!

I love cable one! It is extremely fast and we have never had an issue. I have heard people from both sides have bad experiences. My advice would be to ask people in your area what they use and how reliable it is!

If I wait until I get there, will it take a long time to get set up with cable one?

If I wait until I get there, will it take a long time to get set up with cable one?

I would recommend you calling and setting an appointment now. When all the new students move in about the same time their appointments fill quickly and you don't want to be without internet.

Just an FYI, financial aid award letters should be out. I just got mine today!

Would any current students be able to comment on any community outreach programs KCOM does? My application for the next upcoming cycle really emphasizes community involvement, and I cant seem to find any such programs on their website, but Im sure they have some.

If any Current students can help me out I am currently planning on attending KCOM in the fall - however am on a waitlist at a school close to home. Trying to figure out what to do with an apartament. If I sign a lease now and have to leave I will be stuck with payments and if I wait till the last min I will not have any good places to choose from.
Any advice would be appreciated