2020-2021 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Secondary Prompt:
1. What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

2. What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

3. Please list any changes or updates to your AACOMAS application. This section may be left blank if your AACOMAS application is complete and accurate. (No word limit)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
secondary received today. I'm assuming we have to fill out a secondary for both KCOM and SOMA if applied?

Does anyone know if we copy and paste from the clinical experiences of our primary app onto the secondary? Or if they want brand new details for experiences?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we copy and paste from the clinical experiences of our primary app onto the secondary? Or if they want brand new details for experiences?
I know this is almost a month late, but for people still getting secondaries and having the same question: I asked someone in the admissions office and they said I could just copy and paste. So, I did.
found this from last year's thread!

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary received! The prompts are the same as last year, as follows:

1. What particular qualities do you feel you can bring to KCOM? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

2. What specific experience/exposure have you had with osteopathic medicine? How has this influenced your decision to become an osteopathic physician? (Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

3. Please list any changes or updates to your AACOMAS application. This section may be left blank if your AACOMAS application is complete and accurate. (No word limit)

@PapaGuava

Reactions: 1 users
straight from the admissions person:

“If you cannot access your SAT scores, you can mark the not applicable box and put in the reason why you are not entering a score. In regards to the clinical section of the KCOM secondary application, you can copy/paste from your AACOMAS application.”

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone else is not able to submit the payment right? Seems its down right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted secondary for this campus. Going to work on the other campus as well and send that in soon. Good luck guys.

Did anyone receive an email about them reviewing the app but waiting on your MCAT score?

Did anyone receive an email about them reviewing the app but waiting on your MCAT score?
YES! I emailed back asking about it because most DO schools INCLUDING KCOM are reviewing apps without MCAT scores. Now awaiting response!

YES! I emailed back asking about it because most DO schools INCLUDING KCOM are reviewing apps without MCAT scores. Now awaiting response!
Great! Let us know! I replied just saying thank you and that I’ll have my results on 7/7 but I know for sure that they should look at the App without.

Reactions: 1 user
Great! Let us know! I replied just saying thank you and that I’ll have my results on 7/7 but I know for sure that they should look at the App without.
This is from the KCOM website:
"...Review your application and extend interview invitations prior to receiving your MCAT score, by evaluating experiences, academic metrics, and attributes that you have demonstrated in your application. In some instances, our colleges will accept you without MCAT scores, but many will await required MCAT scores before extending an offer to join a class"

This is from the KCOM website:
"...Review your application and extend interview invitations prior to receiving your MCAT score, by evaluating experiences, academic metrics, and attributes that you have demonstrated in your application. In some instances, our colleges will accept you without MCAT scores, but many will await required MCAT scores before extending an offer to join a class"

Sooooo they definitely should be sending IIs without it at least.

They emailed back: "We still require a MCAT before an offer of acceptance would be made to any applicant. Since we do not start interviewing until late September/October, taking an MCAT in August wouldn't be an issue. We do have staff doing an initial review to see what applications could move forward without the MCAT score at this point."

For context, my MCAT is scheduled for August 7 (and it's a retake so I guess they're not considering my old scores which is very odd?)

They emailed back: "We still require a MCAT before an offer of acceptance would be made to any applicant. Since we do not start interviewing until late September/October, taking an MCAT in August wouldn't be an issue. We do have staff doing an initial review to see what applications could move forward without the MCAT score at this point."

For context, my MCAT is scheduled for August 7 (and it's a retake so I guess they're not considering my old scores which is very odd?)
Interesting. I just looked at an email from my ad rep I know at KCOM and she said the same thing really. They’re gonna Probably review us all and keep us on hold till then. Fortunately I just took my MCAT and will get results on 7/7.

I just got an email from them saying they’re going to wait to send an interview invite until they get my MCAT score :/

I submitted my secondary yesterday, and I just realized a HUGE error!!! I forgot to include physician shadowing in the clinical experience section. I'm thinking of emailing the admissions office and just including a document with my shadowing experience in it? I know changes can't be made once submitted, and this was a big oops. Do you guys think they'd give me a chance after that?

I submitted my secondary yesterday, and I just realized a HUGE error!!! I forgot to include physician shadowing in the clinical experience section. I'm thinking of emailing the admissions office and just including a document with my shadowing experience in it? I know changes can't be made once submitted, and this was a big oops. Do you guys think they'd give me a chance after that?
Only one way to find out. Good luck to you and let us know if they gave you mercy on your honest error.

Only one way to find out. Good luck to you and let us know if they gave you mercy on your honest error.

I'm sure they'll be fine if they explain everything and give the materials right? I'm sure its not THAT big a deal even if they don't though. Btw, awesome signature.

Thank you! They totally did. Opened up the secondary app for me, and gave me a day to make the changes. I was pleasantly surprised!

Reactions: 4 users
Just marked complete here if anyone cares or is waiting for that complete email and hoping to get one soon. I got it today after they confirmed having my letters.

Just got an email saying that they need my MCAT score from the August test that I will be taking

I didn't even include shadowing in that section as I felt it wasn't relevant to the type of activities they were asking for. Was this a mistake and should I ask to edit my application?

I didn't even include shadowing in that section as I felt it wasn't relevant to the type of activities they were asking for. Was this a mistake and should I ask to edit my application?
You can ask, but honestly I think you're good because that stuff should be in your primary as well. I would just send a polite email, asking for advice.

For the DO letter do DO schools usually want the writer to include the number of shadowing hours?

I took multiple ACT's. Do I need to include all of the scores or just the most recent?

Finally marked complete, on a Sunday, at 11:12 PM. Wacky Missouri things I guess.

+1

how long do you think it’ll take to hear back about interviews?
From my friend who submitted like July 1st of last year, was admitted with a 506 and 4.0 sGPA (wacky man), he said about 2 weeks. So soon I hope.

Reactions: 3 users
I submitted my secondary weeks ago and still have not received a complete email! I emailed them last week about it but no response :(

I submitted my secondary weeks ago and still have not received a complete email! I emailed them last week about it but no response :(

Do you have any LOR’s outstanding?
I got a complete email about a week and half after my committee letter was submitted in late June. Secondary submitted 6/23. Complete email 7/8 just for reference

Do you have any LOR’s outstanding?
I got a complete email about a week and half after my committee letter was submitted in late June
Nope no outstanding letters or anything, mcat score is sent too. There is a green check mark next to everything when I go on the portal but never got an actual email from them.

Nope no outstanding letters or anything, mcat score is sent too. There is a green check mark next to everything when I go on the portal but never got an actual email from them.
not sure if I should email them again asking for an update or if that is too pushy

Under status there is a green check next to "Completed" however there is no date next to it. I did submit it on June 17th so it has been a while, but i guess ill wait it out. Congrats on being completed guys!

Under status there is a green check next to "Completed" however there is no date next to it. I did submit it on June 17th so it has been a while, but i guess ill wait it out. Congrats on being completed guys!
I think that means your application is completed, maybe the email went to your spam folder?

I think that means your application is completed, maybe the email went to your spam folder?
I checked my spam unfortunately I did not see anything there. I assumed I was complete but once I saw that others actually got an email saying they were complete is when I started getting concerned

How did you end up writing the description for shadowing, like did you use anecdotal examples of patients you saw? I'm not sure how to start since I'm just an observer and in the essays, I spend like 500 words describing my shadowing experience with anecdotal evidence.

How did you end up writing the description for shadowing, like did you use anecdotal examples of patients you saw? I'm not sure how to start since I'm just an observer and in the essays, I spend like 500 words describing my shadowing experience with anecdotal evidence.
Hi! So I actually didn’t reflect on my shadowing, I just gave a literal description of what I did. I have a lot of healthcare experience, so most of my reflection went into that. I can’t say for sure, but I would imagine since you reflected on it in your essays, you could probably just do a literal description for the clinical experience section.

Anyone else hoping that II go out in the next week or so? That’s what it looks like on last years thread

Anyone else hoping that II go out in the next week or so? That’s what it looks like on last years thread
I’m thinking they are running a little behind considering they sent out that email recently about not emailing them regarding portal status as their amount of applicants is really high right now.
I only just got verified yesterday and I’m sure many people are in similar situations. So yes can always hope but I’d reckon many schools will be delayed this cycle with Covid and the sheer amount of applications.

I’m thinking they are running a little behind considering they sent out that email recently about not emailing them regarding portal status as their amount of applicants is really high right now.
I only just got verified yesterday and I’m sure many people are in similar situations. So yes can always hope but I’d reckon many schools will be delayed this cycle with Covid and the sheer amount of applications.
Interesting, okay! I was marked complete two-ish days after I submitted my secondary and I didn’t get that email but that makes sense.