2020-2021 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here was the email I received for the alternate list...

"The Admissions Committee of the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine has reviewed your application and wishes to inform you that you have been selected as an Alternate to the first year class beginning Summer 2021. An acceptance may be possible should openings arise. Ranking of this list is not available. We will check in with you in late May to ask if you would like to still be considered for open seats.

In the event you are not accepted for admission this year, your Alternate status is for this year’s class only and is not to be considered as an acceptance to any future class. If additional academic coursework is completed, transcripts should be forwarded to us immediately."
Ah. The APS list is different then. It guarantees a spot for next year with no more application cycle or any other effort.

Members don't see this ad.

From an angst perspective:
I have no right to give anyone advice, but ....My personal perspective is that all the applicants need to quit worrying about stats and LM etc. In reality if you are here, you are competitive at some schools. So at this stage in the game, it’s about showing interest in schools, LOI etc., every couple of weeks. At the end of the day please don’t hesitate to show interest. No school is going to turn you away or get pissed off if you send them emails. Show interest, ask them for an update- (distinction here) you don’t have to send them updates! My best wishes to you all!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed here on 2/12 and was told that they’d reach out within 4 weeks. This is the fifth week, and I’m worried. Do you think it’s ok if I ask admissions for an update through email instead of making a whole letter in my app file? Like just something short like “I had a great time interviewing with so and so, and feel like I would be a great fit, gimme an update pls.” Something along those lines with a little more fluff and better wording haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here on 2/12 and was told that they’d reach out within 4 weeks. This is the fifth week, and I’m worried. Do you think it’s ok if I ask admissions for an update through email instead of making a whole letter in my app file? Like just something short like “I had a great time interviewing with so and so, and feel like I would be a great fit, gimme an update pls.” Something along those lines with a little more fluff and better wording haha
I would!! It shows interest and if you have updates you can slide those in too! :) Good luck!

Is there any way to know the current clinical rotation sites being offered? I saw the list online, but after learning that this isn't an accurate list, I'm a little nervous to not know what's being offered for rotation sites.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone please explain how choosing/applying/selecting clinal sites work here? Additionally, how long are you at each site, or are you only at one?

Anyone know if they are allowing on campus tours? I'm APS and would really like to visit the campus and Kirksville in general to get a feel for the area

Can anyone please explain how choosing/applying/selecting clinal sites work here? Additionally, how long are you at each site, or are you only at one?
If I remember correctly, they do like a ranked lottery system. So you rank your choices and you get selected based from that. I think sites also get to pick a certain few number of students based on background before going to the lottery system. That is about the extent of my knowledge lol

Is there any deadlines or anything in place where people from the APS should expect to maybe hear something or can someone just receive a call on any given day? Just wondering when to maybe see some movement from this list

Is there any deadlines or anything in place where people from the APS should expect to maybe hear something or can someone just receive a call on any given day? Just wondering when to maybe see some movement from this list

I am not sure about that, but accepted students need to pay a second $500 deposit by April 15th and then a third $500 by May 15th. So maybe around those times if people don’t pay those deposits and forfeit their seats, they will go to the APS list?

I am not sure about that, but accepted students need to pay a second $500 deposit by April 15th and then a third $500 by May 15th. So maybe around those times if people don’t pay those deposits and forfeit their seats, they will go to the APS list?
ohh okay that would probably make sense. I did not know payments were due on those dates so that will probably open things up im sure

Members don't see this ad :)

You pick your top 6 in order of preference. You can write a PS for your first choice only, and sites can choose up to 1/2 of remaining seats after Fellows have selected. Not all sites preselect students. You do not find out if you have been preselected before the match.

You can couples match with a friend/spouse as you choose. It can hurt or help you depending on where you want to go.

There are 3 mock matches that show how many students in your class are choosing each site. It’s not accurate, as some students don’t put their first choice on the mocks.

All matches use a lottery system. If your first choice is taken when your name is drawn, you go back into a pool for round two, etc, until all students are matched. Then, remaining students will choose a site based on remaining sites.

Your site is your base site. You can be there as much as you want. Some sites offer more. The rural sites will have you do rotations elsewhere to meet graduation requirements. You can set up audition rotations at other sites on your own as long as it is approved.

Anyone know if they are allowing on campus tours? I'm APS and would really like to visit the campus and Kirksville in general to get a feel for the area

Current students aren’t even on campus outside of lab/SP encounters, so it is highly unlikely.

Is there any way to know the current clinical rotation sites being offered? I saw the list online, but after learning that this isn't an accurate list, I'm a little nervous to not know what's being offered for rotation sites.

The list changes annually. By the time you complete the mock, the current list may not even be accurate.

Was placed on pre-ii in January - I sent a LOI, I'm guessing it's thin margins on getting an interview, let alone an A after the interview?

Anyone else who interviewed at the end of February still nervously waiting for a decision?

Did you get the email saying "You should have a decision from us by the end of March at the latest"? That means tomorrow ugh im so nervous
I haven’t gotten any emails from them since my interview, this is the first I’m hearing about that. Now I’m super nervous about tomorrow! When did you get that email?

I haven’t gotten any emails from them since my interview, this is the first I’m hearing about that. Now I’m super nervous about tomorrow! When did you get that email?
got it the 22nd, and it went directly into my spam folder so i would check there!

got it the 22nd, and it went directly into my spam folder so i would check there!
Nothing there for me, sigh. I’ll just continue to wait patiently 🙃 good luck tomorrow! Hopefully good news comes to us!

• Care
Woke up to an email saying I’m on their significantly sized waitlist haha, I’m doomed

• Care
I got a call this morning for a seat off of the APS!! Interviewed in early February. I was starting to doubt that I would be offered a seat so super thankful and excited!

Reactions: 5 users
I got a call this morning for a seat off of the APS!! Interviewed in early February. I was starting to doubt that I would be offered a seat so super thankful and excited!
Congrats!! Also interviewed early February and APS, still anxiously awaiting a seat to open up this year!

Stats if you don’t mind sharing?

That’s so exciting! Congrats! Would you mind sending me your stats too? I interviewed in January and have been on APS since 1/29, so I’ve been anxiously waiting to hear back from them too!

That’s so exciting! Congrats! Would you mind sending me your stats too? I interviewed in January and have been on APS since 1/29, so I’ve been anxiously waiting to hear back from them too!
Same! I interviewed in October and have been APS since mid-January. Hoping the fact that some seats are opening up before the deposit deadlines is a good sign of movement.

Does anyone know the plan to enroll and commit to enroll dates?

Are those the days we pay the additional $500 deposits? If so, it’s April 15th and May 15th

Anyone else APS get the status about some seats possibly opening up for the april 15th deadline? I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on the type of movement we will see.. hopefully a lot!

Anyone else APS get the status about some seats possibly opening up for the april 15th deadline? I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on the type of movement we will see.. hopefully a lot!
Was this a generic email? Or did it seem personalized? I never got one, but I had emailed admissions on Friday and been given the same info, so I was hoping maybe that was why?

Last edited:
I received this email as well!

Was this a generic email? Or did it seem personalized? I never got one, but I had emailed admissions on Friday and been given the same info, so I was hoping maybe that was why?
The same happened for me. They relayed this info to me when I contacted them last week. I did not get the email today.

Yep. APS since December. Have been getting similar emails every few weeks confirming that I want to stay on this list, but now with info about the 4/15 and 5/15 payment deadlines

I checked a previous year thread and it looked like some people got called on April 15th in previous years so I'll cross my fingers for my fellow APS people!! Hopefully we get some good news!

Reactions: 2 users
Been on APS since January, just got the call 11:10 a.m. April 14th! Keep the faith y’all, looks like there’s some movement happening after all!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Just got the call as well from being APS since mid February! So excited about KCOM!

Reactions: 3 users
Offered a seat today! For those currently waiting or future students looking back at this thread, my timeline:
Interview invitation - 8/7
Interview - 10/9
Decision hold - 10/21
Accepted pending seat - 1/20
Seat offered - today (4/14)

This is a long process. Don’t lose hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to those getting the call. I’m sure more will be joining you over the next few weeks. Welcome to KCOM. 🙂

accepted from APS list earlier today! good luck to those of you waiting for that call

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
was pre-ii hold and sent updates, is it safe to assume that my journey with this program is over? Haven't heard back since the pre-ii waitlist.