A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm interviewing on March 22nd. Anyone else going that day?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using SDN Mobile

I just got an interview invite today... Deciding between 3/16 and 3/22... this school looks pretty cool. looking forward to seeing what its all about.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an interview invite today... Deciding between 3/16 and 3/22... this school looks pretty cool. looking forward to seeing what its all about.

Yeah I opted for the 22nd because of the Thursday night social. The buzz on SDN is that the social is a pretty sweet thing to go to. :)

Honestly at this point in the game, I would definitely try to go the earliest date possible. Social is okay but not super important, I still think my interview would have been exactly the same if I had picked a Saturday date instead of Friday. You just get a presentation of the curriculum (you get this on the day of your interview also) and a tour of the building which in MY opinion isn't worth waiting a week for.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly at this point in the game, I would definitely try to go the earliest date possible. Social is okay but not super important, I still think my interview would have been exactly the same if I had picked a Saturday date instead of Friday. You just get a presentation of the curriculum (you get this on the day of your interview also) and a tour of the building which in MY opinion isn't worth waiting a week for.

I concur, go early Early EARLY! I wasn't able to make it to my social on Thursday night.. Didn't matter. Early is better!

I have seen a lot of other schools having "galas" or "balls" or some sort of formals at their schools. Is there any sort of similar thing that happens at SOMA? just wondering...

I have seen a lot of other schools having "galas" or "balls" or some sort of formals at their schools. Is there any sort of similar thing that happens at SOMA? just wondering...

We had one last year. Ask the SGA pres., he'll probably know.

I have to say, it seemed pretty lame last year. I didn't go of course, but even after the fact it seemed like it was sort of a bust.

Hi guys,

I was recently accepted to SOMA, super excited! Congratulations to those!

I'm placed in Flagstaff atm, but have been given the opportunity to switch to the California site. Would someone be able to give me a pro/con list of both of these places? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

We had one this year at the nearby country club. It was Valentine's day themed. It wasn't huge...maybe half the class went, but it was still fun. Photobooth, dancing, and a cash bar. It was a fun excuse to dress up (semi-formal) and most people headed out to the bar after as a group.

We had one this year at the nearby country club. It was Valentine's day themed. It wasn't huge...maybe half the class went, but it was still fun. Photobooth, dancing, and a cash bar. It was a fun excuse to dress up (semi-formal) and most people headed out to the bar after as a group.

Thanks Misssciencenerd! That sounds exciting! I hope the new class this year decides to do something similar :)

We had one last year. Ask the SGA pres., he'll probably know.

I have to say, it seemed pretty lame last year. I didn't go of course, but even after the fact it seemed like it was sort of a bust.

Really? This is disappointing. I was hoping we had one of these because I think it would be fun to get dressed up with everyone and their S/O's. Maybe next year it will be a huge success?

Anyone have any advice for the interviews? Could use some help prepping

hey guys! Just cancelled my interview here because of an acceptance at KCOM. Good luck to everyone! It is a great school (I'd interviewed here in the past).

Anyone have any advice for the interviews? Could use some help prepping

Research the school and figure out why this curriculum (1+3) would be perfect for you. Why should they pick you over others...? Why doctor? Why DO? So basic standard med school interview questions...but then every interviewer also has his own particular questions. For the MMI I dont think there is a particular way to prep for those, just go into each room confident and do your best.
You can also search for "med school interview" videos on youtube...some of them are pretty helpful. There are also some videos on MMI.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing on Friday and I may be a bit nervous.

Interviewing on Friday and I may be a bit nervous.

don't be. relax! Our admission standard (GPA/ MACT-wise) is not all that high, and lots of people in C/O 2016 interviewed late as well, but, make sure you do some research about our program before your interview, then you will be fine.

Anyone know what the turn around is on a decision after you interview here? I know it will probably take a while since their interview groups are so large.

Anyone know what the turn around is on a decision after you interview here? I know it will probably take a while since their interview groups are so large.

I found out about three and a half weeks after the interview, but that was early in the interview season (October). You'll probably hear back quicker than that.

I heard back in 3 days. Depends on your interviewers. Good luck!

Just an interesting (and encouraging) tidbit of info for you all!

Dean Kalousek sent an email to the student body this morning announcing that SOMA achieved a 100% match rate this year, the average for DO was ~94% this year, possibly a little higher or lower as there are a handful of schools that haven't reported their rates to AACOM yet.

Congratulations to the class of 2013 and congratulations to SOMA!

I interviewed last saturday and found out yesterday! So that's like 4 days

Interview tomorrow and I can't sleep, I'll be the dude in the suit and tie.

Right there with you bro. i napped for 2 hrs and woke up thinking i was forgetting something important lol

For those of you who are attending, how did you get your email address? I haven't gotten mine yet and I'm kind of worried that I've missed something...

For those of you who are attending, how did you get your email address? I haven't gotten mine yet and I'm kind of worried that I've missed something...

If I remember right, I logged in to my.atsu.edu and there was a link there somewhere to set up the "@atsu.edu" email. It's been awhile, but I think that's how I did it...

you should actually get an email from the ATSU tech guys about your email address.

I'm getting ready to make the move from Northeast MO to Mesa and I think I need to reevaluate my wardrobe. Anyone have any idea how strict the dress code is enforced or have any input on what students wear on a daily basis?

Do you guys know if its possible to change a CHC once its assigned or its permanent? Just out of curiosity. Also good question about the dress code! How strict is it?

Do you guys know if its possible to change a CHC once its assigned or its permanent? Just out of curiosity. Also good question about the dress code! How strict is it?

yes, you can change CHC, as long as you find someone else who is willing to do so.

the dress code is not really that strict, just make sure you have business casual for OSCEs. you may purchase scrubs from school in the beginning of the year, and you will also be allowed to wear T shirts/ hoodies with ATSU logos. But honestly, towards the end of the year, people are no long paying that much attention to wardrobes anymore, as long as you have something plain you should be fine

I was accepted pending an open seat!! Super excited!

Anyone have any idea how long you have to wait to find out? or if there is a good possibility that a seat will open this year?

I was accepted pending an open seat!! Super excited!

Anyone have any idea how long you have to wait to find out? or if there is a good possibility that a seat will open this year?

I was pending an open seat tor 4 days; sent out my chc match list on sunday nught and got accepted monday morning. So excited to be attending atsu soma- class of 2017!

Congrats, still waiting to hear back.
Good luck man - I'm rooting for you!

I was pending an open seat tor 4 days; sent out my chc match list on sunday nught and got accepted monday morning. So excited to be attending atsu soma- class of 2017!
Congrats! What CHC were you assigned to if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck man - I'm rooting for you!

Congrats! What CHC were you assigned to if you don't mind me asking?

I got matched with the South Carolina spot. I'm an ocean person, so I feel pretty lucky to get matched there. Also, I heard that academically it is the top site, so that will be a good environment for me... I pre-matched SC as my second highest pick and got it so I think they are pretty good.

I got matched with the South Carolina spot. I'm an ocean person, so I feel pretty lucky to get matched there. Also, I heard that academically it is the top site, so that will be a good environment for me... I pre-matched SC as my second highest pick and got it so I think they are pretty good.

Awesome. Congrats!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using SDN Mobile

Accepted pending an open seat. Best of luck to everyone. Keep ur heads up, good news could be around the corner

I know that this school has a great curriculum for learning how to think like a physician but does that come at the expense of learning how to answer board questions? Do students feel less prepared or have to study harder to get used to 'classroom' type questions as opposed to hospital questions?

From my understanding, SOMA usually scores right around the national average. I was told by a current fouth year that they have since added a little more basic science to their curriculum since he mitriculated. He also said that you are alloted so much from your tuition for prep materials for step 1. I don't know if this is still true.

I know that this school has a great curriculum for learning how to think like a physician but does that come at the expense of learning how to answer board questions? Do students feel less prepared or have to study harder to get used to 'classroom' type questions as opposed to hospital questions?

Someone asked this exact question on my interview day and they basically said that SOMA's teaching styles (inductive vs differential diagnosis, schemes, etc) often parallel the logic behind board questions (I assume the clinical presentation questions?), so students typically do well. They also said something about how SOMA has faculty who write for COMLEX so they are in-tune to the strategies for preparing students for the boards. My interview day is sort of a blur so I may not be reciting that 100% correctly, but that's the jist that I got from their response to that question.

Hey everyone. I haven't posted yet on this thread, but I'm a long-time accepted student. I have been waiting on some other schools and trying to weigh my options. As far as competitiveness in getting into residencies, how competitive are SOMA students? I'm still trying to decide between MD and DO and have heard it is easier to get into better residencies going the MD route. Anyone have any advice?