A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Our facebook group has about 80 people so far... but then again, in the group there are some faculty, upperclassmen, and etc.

goodluck!

80 (-10 or so for upperclassmen and faculty) = 70
110 (total class size, if im not mistaken) - 70 = 40 more spots?! (plus or minus).
Good Luck! There is still plenty of time, its only February!

Members don't see this ad.

Haha Thanks! I am crossing my fingers and hope to get an invite to interview soon. Seems like my type of crowd as well.

I interviewed in February, and a lot of my classmates did too. There were plenty who interviewed later too. Your socindary may sail through since it's so late, I doubt they have many to look at by this point

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just sent in my secondary and hope I have a shot. I really didn't hear about this school and its curriculum until a month ago. Sounds super exciting and perfect for my atypical learning style. Sounds like they are just about full though. I hope they can squeeze in an other individual that is really excited about the program.

Good luck! I was complete on 1/23 and I'm still waiting. I'll post here when I hear something. :)

Good luck! I was complete on 1/23 and I'm still waiting. I'll post here when I hear something. :)

Hey, I don't know if you were wondering but I know I was when I was complete and waiting. It took me exactly 6 weeks to hear back. Advice to the both of you when you do hear back, inquire about an earlier interview date, ask and you shall receive :) best of luck!

Hey, I don't know if you were wondering but I know I was when I was complete and waiting. It took me exactly 6 weeks to hear back. Advice to the both of you when you do hear back, inquire about an earlier interview date, ask and you shall receive :) best of luck!

Awesome - thanks for the info!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using SDN Mobile

Got offered a DC spot today. Anyone in Seattle/Portland CHCs who wants to go the east coast, PM me! Let's make a deal. =)

Thanks for the info Amistret! Brakks keep me posted on your process. Maybe we will both be seeing each other come Summer.

Hey all, I also am a late applicant. Secondary in 2/5, and I am also curious about what my chances might be GPA 3.4 MCAT 32. Thanks.

cincinnatus19, If you have shown interest in your PS/sedondary essays regarding rural/underserved medicine and if have had clinical/non clinical experiences working in the community then I think you are golden!

Maybe we will both be seeing each other come Summer.

:thumbup:

Hey all, I also am a late applicant. Secondary in 2/5, and I am also curious about what my chances might be GPA 3.4 MCAT 32. Thanks.

I'm almost the same - 3.35/32. It'll be interesting to see how we do with a late app!

:thumbup:

I'm almost the same - 3.35/32. It'll be interesting to see how we do with a late app!

I felt that this school heavily waited your passion and experience. Just some advice, let your personality shine, unless your a goof, then good luck ;-) just kidding!

Members don't see this ad :)
cincinnatus19, If you have shown interest in your PS/sedondary essays regarding rural/underserved medicine and if have had clinical/non clinical experiences working in the community then I think you are golden!

Thanks, I actually am working in a doctors office in an underserved community, amongst other things. I appreciate your reply.

It is my opinion that your grades mean nothing when you apply to ATSU - SOMA. Yeah your 32 MCAT looks great, but if your professional goals do not align with the mission of our school, it wont lead to an acceptance offer. What it will come down to is much much more than your GPA/MCAT.

The one thing to understand is that there will be MCAT scores varying from 21-34 in our program, but what our school looks for are compassionate, personable individuals interested in primary care. So if you come in talking about Derm and how strong of an applicant you are, that won't bode well for you. Be humble and don't talk about really competitive specialties like plastics and derm. (But if you do want to do Derm, then you are going to have to put on a show and fudge the truth, it's not like we haven't had students match into Derm)

Rejected post interview
Snail mail
Ii 1/25
Thought I had a pretty good shot here
But I guess not

FYI to all applicants, I received an ii monday that specifically said the class is full and that the interview is essentially for the waitlist.

Of course this doesn't mean to give up hope since there is a considerable amount of movement come deposit time, but I figured I'd pass this info on.

FYI to all applicants, I received an ii monday that specifically said the class is full and that the interview is essentially for the waitlist.

Of course this doesn't mean to give up hope since there is a considerable amount of movement come deposit time, but I figured I'd pass this info on.

Is this essentially the same as the wording for KCOM? I think there was a letter to that effect sent a while ago. Thanks.

"Your application for admission to A.T. Still University School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona for the class beginning Summer 2013 has been reviewed and we are pleased to invite you to our campus for an interview. At this time we are offering interviews pending an open seat. If accepted and a seat does not open in 2013, you will be accepted for 2014..."

Thanks for the info and congrats on the ii!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using SDN Mobile

I just wanted to re-iterate the second point here.

When I was invited to interview on the last day (in May) last year, my invite stated the same thing. Between the time of the II and the interview, 16 spots had already opened up. There is a large number of current students in my class that interviewed on this day. I was accepted outright after receiving the "pending an open seat" II.

So, there s definitely HOPE!! :luck::luck: :thumbup::thumbup:

Hey, I was wondering for any current SOMA students, what are the main population demographics of the Phoenix CHC? Thanks!

Hey, I was wondering for any current SOMA students, what are the main population demographics of the Phoenix CHC? Thanks!

"Patient Profile:

89% Below 200% Federal Poverty Level

75% Below Federal Poverty Level (FPL)*

4.8% Migrant Farm workers

52% AHCCCS (Medicaid)

22% Uninsured

*current FPL is $22,350 for household of 4 persons"

This information is from the powerpoint they provided for us to choose a CHC. Not sure what other demographics you're interested in, but campuslegend is a 4th year at the Phoenix CHC so he could probably tell you more if you can get him to answer your question.

"Patient Profile:

89% Below 200% Federal Poverty Level

75% Below Federal Poverty Level (FPL)*

4.8% Migrant Farm workers

52% AHCCCS (Medicaid)

22% Uninsured

*current FPL is $22,350 for household of 4 persons"

This information is from the powerpoint they provided for us to choose a CHC. Not sure what other demographics you're interested in, but campuslegend is a 4th year at the Phoenix CHC so he could probably tell you more if you can get him to answer your question.

Thank you very much. I was searching for a document I had that told us the ethnic population at each CHC, I wasnt sure if it was in the acceptance package/interview package/SDN etc. this is great information though thank you!

Percentage grades (so letter basically), your transcript will show a number from 0-100 for each class, you need a 70 to pass.

Wow, I've never heard of a transcript with percentages on it. For residency applications, they mostly care about your rank compared to the rest of your class, right?

Wow, I've never heard of a transcript with percentages on it. For residency applications, they mostly care about your rank compared to the rest of your class, right?

For residency they mostly just care about your USMLE/COMLEX scores and your rotation grades. I'm guessing class rank is factored in there somewhere too. But if they want to scrutinize your pre-clinical grades it's not hard to see what letter grade you would have earned (70's=C's, 80's=B's, 90's=A's)

SLC

Not sure if anyone can help me out on this but I am gonna ask it anyways...for FAFSA do we need to put in parental info or just our info?

Not sure if anyone can help me out on this but I am gonna ask it anyways...for FAFSA do we need to put in parental info or just our info?

Both unless you're married or meet another eligibility requirement for being independent from your parents. The requirements are pretty strict, and being independent on your taxes does not automatically make you independent for FAFSA.

Anyone get any interview invites lately?

Ya I got an invite last week. As far as FAFSA goes,

Being considered an independent student is not merely a matter of being responsible for your own educational expenses. You must meet certain criteria to be declared an independent student for the purposes of the FAFSA:

Be 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year;
Be an orphan (both parents deceased), ward of the court, in foster care or was a ward of the court when 13 years or older;
Be a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States or serving on active duty for other than training purposes;
Be a graduate or professional student;
Be a married individual;
Have legal dependents other than a spouse;
Be an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship;
Be a homeless youth;
Be a student for whom a financial aid administrator makes a documented determination of independence by reason of other unusual circumstances.
*http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/699-fafsa-and-the-independent-student

Last edited:
Wouldn't this qualify all of us?

Yes, I think the reason that is in there is because grad/professional students no longer qualify for grants or subsidized loans, thus it doesn't really matter what your parents info is because everyone will pay full interest. We get direct unsubsidized up to $40,000 annually at 6.8%, as long as your total loan amount (including undergrad) does not exceed $224,000.

Once you exceed these limits you are pushed to a grad plus loan that is 7.9% with a bunch of rigid rules and fine print.

Yea so I called the financial aid office at ATSU and I was told to only put my info on FAFSA, however if I qualify for the perkins loan then they will ask for the parent's info...

Reactions: 1 user
Well I just got the rejection letter. Best of luck to all of you that got in. It really looks like a great program. Hopefully next year!

Sorry to hear that Landvatter :( you should definitely apply early if you reapply next cycle. Don't hesitate to ask any questions :)

Well I just got the rejection letter. Best of luck to all of you that got in. It really looks like a great program. Hopefully next year!
Really sorry to hear that. I'm sure you will have better luck in the future! Since you know how the whole process works now, you'll rock it!

I called the office and was told that I was placed on an alternate list. Too bad I would have to just prepare for the next cycle too since I won't find out until late May or June.

I called the office and was told that I was placed on an alternate list. Too bad I would have to just prepare for the next cycle too since I won't find out until late May or June.

I would keep your chin up buddy. You may hear before you know it. Good luck and good job!

I would keep your chin up buddy. You may hear before you know it. Good luck and good job!

Thanks, I very much need it because this is the only school where I wish I were attending.

brakk026, Congrats!! Hope to see you in the summer! Let us know if you got any questions :)

I'm interviewing on March 22nd. Anyone else going that day?