A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No reception after (at least not in my classes case) but it is a fairly big deal. They'll have some speaker come from outside the school system, you'll enter the room and sit with your classmates sort of like a graduation procession. People will speak about what being a doctor is all about. Then, one by one you'll go on stage, receive your coat, and shake hands with the Dean. Then you all recite the oath and take a class picture.

I think it's something a parent would be disappointed about missing, so if she can make it, she won't regret it.

+1, think of it like graduation

Members don't see this ad.

Your mom should definitely come!
I am bringing my family, friends, neighbors, dogs....JK just my family lol

Members don't see this ad :)
So, has anyone heard from admissions regarding the last couple of interview cycles? I was told that the committee meets every Tuesday. It would be nice to find out if I am accepted or not so I can either cry because I'll need to take the MCAT again or celebrate because I get to move to AZ.

...It would be nice to find out if I am accepted or not so I can either cry because I'll need to take the MCAT again or cry because I have to move to AZ.

Fixed that for ya!

scorpion.jpg

Kidding, I loved it there. Can't wait to get back sometime.

So, has anyone heard from admissions regarding the last couple of interview cycles? I was told that the committee meets every Tuesday. It would be nice to find out if I am accepted or not so I can either cry because I'll need to take the MCAT again or celebrate because I get to move to AZ.

I interviewed 4/12 and was accepted seat pending on 4/17, but they told us to expect 3-5 weeks for a decision.

I interviewed 4/12 and was accepted seat pending on 4/17, but they told us to expect 3-5 weeks for a decision.

Congrats! Did they mention what your chances are of getting in this cycle if you're accepted pending an open seat? I've been accepted pending a seat since 3/26 and I'm wondering how things are looking.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using SDN Mobile

Congrats! Did they mention what your chances are of getting in this cycle if you're accepted pending an open seat? I've been accepted pending a seat since 3/26 and I'm wondering how things are looking.

I think a few seats are likely to open up after May 1, because that's when the second deposit is due so people who choose to go to another school where they have been accepted will have to make their decision by then. Good luck to you guys!

I think a few seats are likely to open up after May 1, because that's when the second deposit is due so people who choose to go to another school where they have been accepted will have to make their decision by then. Good luck to you guys!

Gotcha - thanks for the info!

It also depends on whether you ranked all the sites. I was accepted pending a seat as well and then was accepted a week later. You can also ask what number you are on the waitlist (I was at 13 when I was accepted pending but she indicated a lot of people above me did not rank all sites). Of course only rank sites you will actually go to, even though there is possibility of movement later!

I had a lot of questions regarding my site rankings and called yesterday. I was really impressed at how helpful Dr. Haynie was. She took a lot of time to answer my questions and address my concerns. There are several sites that open up more often, so if you rank them your chances of getting offered a spot are higher. If you have questions I would recommend calling. I am curious to know how many are on the accepted pending list, but I forgot to ask.

Can any first years tell me what books on the list they give us we actually need? Im not trying to buy all the books and then not end up needing half of them. Much appreciated in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any first years tell me what books on the list they give us we actually need? Im not trying to buy all the books and then not end up needing half of them. Much appreciated in advance.

I was told by a first year Physiology by Costanza and Bates for medical skills.You can get an electronic version of Rapid Interpretation of EKG. The last book that is helpful, but maybe not used much is a neuroanatomy book. So that's a start.

Hey guys, this has probably been asked before (sorry if Im repeating).

I got the Ohio site. So in that case, is there any chance for me to do rotations in specializations such as anesthesiology, orthopedic, urology, etc? I know someone mentioned "setting up your own rotations all over the country" but I dont know how this works. You can do rotations outside the assigned CHC? How? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I dont really know how the system works. Can someone please explain? Thank you. Mostly I want to know if I go to Ohio and I dont want to become a Fam Med, IM, EM or OBGYN do I have the opportunity to do other things? Thank you

Also, if all these are possible to do, then what would make a rotation site better than another? (besides climate and cost of living or whatever?)

I got the Ohio site. So in that case, is there any chance for me to do rotations in specializations such as anesthesiology, orthopedic, urology, etc? I know someone mentioned "setting up your own rotations all over the country" but I dont know how this works. You can do rotations outside the assigned CHC? How? I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I dont really know how the system works. Can someone please explain? Thank you. Mostly I want to know if I go to Ohio and I dont want to become a Fam Med, IM, EM or OBGYN do I have the opportunity to do other things? Thank you

Also, if all these are possible to do, then what would make a rotation site better than another? (besides climate and cost of living or whatever?)

You'll be close to Cincinnati, I'd suspect that you'll have access to some rotations in just about every area of medicine there. If the options are not exactly what/where you want, you set up your own either back home with connections you have yourself, or in the area by contacting hospitals/physicians and getting clearance.

Don't worry you'll be able to do what you want regardless of which site you go to. SOMA doesn't choose a CHC to sent students to unless the full range of opportunities are present in the area.

I really think all the CHC sites have everything you would want to do. In my opinion there really isn't a difference between the sites besides location which includes the type of patients you will serve as well as things such as cost of living and climate.

When is your deadline for picking a school? I saw you had multiple options.

Someone might have touched on this, but are there any research opportunities at AT Still?

I think this may have been discussed earlier, but does ATSU have an attendance policy? I know all the lectures are recorded, but I wasn't sure if being in class was required. Also, are there pre-written lecture notes? I know an earlier poster said it varied a little from class to class, just wondering what the overall trend was!

Any current students want to weigh in? It's very much appreciated!

Hey everyone,

I am already accepted at Michigan State Univ College of Osteopathic Medicine at East Lansing (MSUCOM) for the DO program.

However I am interviewing at Touro Univ College of Osteopathic Medicine at Vallejo, California (TUCOM-CA) on April 30th and AT Still Univ School of Osteopathic Medicine at Mesa, Arizona (ATSU SOMA) on May 3rd.

Can anyone, interview candidates or current students at MSUCOM, ATSU, and TUCOM give me any guidance as to which osteopathic medical school is the best and why?

Also, if anyone is also interviewing at ATSU SOMA on May3rd, it would be great to get in touch and meet up before our interview. Let me know - I will be at ATSU SOMA from May 1-May 4 and would love to get together in person to explore ATSU SOMA and the vicinity. I can share my name, cell phone and email contact info if you respond to me.

If there is any current ATSU SOMA student available to meet up with me on May 1-4 to show me around and/or let me shadow them on a typical day at ATSU SOMA I would really appreciate it. Let me know and I can share my name, cell phone and email contact information.

Looking forward to a response!

I think this may have been discussed earlier, but does ATSU have an attendance policy? I know all the lectures are recorded, but I wasn't sure if being in class was required. Also, are there pre-written lecture notes? I know an earlier poster said it varied a little from class to class, just wondering what the overall trend was!

Any current students want to weigh in? It's very much appreciated!

1st year attendance is required for OMM/Medskills which occur on the same day each week. Attendance is also required for small group which is a couple hours each week usually in the afternoon. I heard anatomy may have required dissection now too so that may also be the case.

Attendance to large group lectures (85% of what you learn) is optional; with each lecture recorded, and no Pre-written notes available.

2nd year you have similar attendance requirements with the main difference being that there are no live lectures, so attendance to large group is not optional (it's not even possible).

Hey everyone,

I am already accepted at Michigan State Univ College of Osteopathic Medicine at East Lansing (MSUCOM) for the DO program.

However I am interviewing at Touro Univ College of Osteopathic Medicine at Vallejo, California (TUCOM-CA) on April 30th and AT Still Univ School of Osteopathic Medicine at Mesa, Arizona (ATSU SOMA) on May 3rd.

Can anyone, interview candidates or current students at MSUCOM, ATSU, and TUCOM give me any guidance as to which osteopathic medical school is the best and why?

I can comment on TUCOM-CA. In short, don't even go to their interview, it will be a waste of time and money if you are already accepted at MSUCOM. I got a really bad vibe, it seemed that they cared more about recruiting more new students to their various programs than anything else. All they did during interview was trying to sell us the MPH program, and kept emphasizing how wonderful that their campus was in the Bay Area. But, keep in mind, the Vallejo/Mare Island area, while in the Bay Area, is nothing like SF, it looks like biohazard wasteland there.

As far as for SOMA goes, read SLC's post above, I personally like the way things work here. Additionally, I think you should come to the interview if you are interested about the CHC model and the early patient exposure, which can help you build your patient interaction skills.

Well my second $1000 is in! I've been messing around with the atsu portal. There are some pretty cool lectures already on itunes to download. Good luck to everyone still waiting. I truly am pulling that you get in. I know the anxiety of waiting.

Well my second $1000 is in! I've been messing around with the atsu portal. There are some pretty cool lectures already on itunes to download. Good luck to everyone still waiting. I truly am pulling that you get in. I know the anxiety of waiting.
Congrats! I'm still holding out for a spot this year. :scared: A week ago I was 6th on the list of people who had ranked all CHCs (15th overall). There has been a lot of movement lately on the CHC Google doc, so I'm hoping for something soon! :luck:

The worst part is just not knowing what I'm going to do. I don't have a problem with waiting until next year to start, but I'd just like to know so I can either start applying for jobs like a mad man or start prepping for school.

Congrats! I'm still holding out for a spot this year. :scared: A week ago I was 6th on the list of people who had ranked all CHCs (15th overall). There has been a lot of movement lately on the CHC Google doc, so I'm hoping for something soon! :luck:

The worst part is just not knowing what I'm going to do. I don't have a problem with waiting until next year to start, but I'd just like to know so I can either start applying for jobs like a mad man or start prepping for school.

I feel you. I am still waiting desperately as one of the alternate list. :(

Are you talking about the CHC google doc on the facebook group?
Please be aware that it is in no way official, that was simply made by students in the 2017 class to see where others will be going for their CHC.

Are you talking about the CHC google doc on the facebook group?
Please be aware that it is in no way official, that was simply made by students in the 2017 class to see where others will be going for their CHC.
Oh yes I know. :) I'm just speculating that when someone removes their name from the list, they have withdrawn their acceptance.

Oh yes I know. :) I'm just speculating that when someone removes their name from the list, they have withdrawn their acceptance.

Be patient my young jetti, and join me next year in the class of 2018! Yeeew!

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet?

:( Any idea what your chances are of getting in this year?

Only thing I know is that I was placed on a high alternate list, and that I might have to wait until end of May. Frustrating... I really liked the school too.

Just got the acceptance email - I'm in for c/o 2017! Super excited!

Good luck to everyone still waiting. :luck:

Just got the acceptance email - I'm in for c/o 2017! Super excited!

Good luck to everyone still waiting. :luck:

Welcome to the club brakk026!! Join the facebook group and feel free to post!! :)

Does anyone who is going to AT Still SOMA play soccer and would be interested in getting a team together?

Does anyone who is going to AT Still SOMA play soccer and would be interested in getting a team together?

SOMA has had a team for the past couple of years. The first years have carried on the tradition of the "Still Kicking" team. They play at Big League Dreams, indoor league...this year they took first!

Here is the info so you can carry on the tradition...
http://gilbert.bigleaguedreams.com/park-information

I havent played soccer since i was 10 but i run fast and i love to compete haha. Id love to play. And if anyone likes to play basketball or football im in for those as well

Does anyone have an update on the acceptances, i.e. how many pending open seats are on the list?

I just saw that one of SOMA's sites is the hospital that I was born in, and visited quite frequently in my childhood. There's a park in front of it that we always used to go to, I believe it was MLK park. Applying this year for maybe c/o 2018. Its always been my dream to go back to Sunset Park. I genuinely love Brooklyn. I'm actually tearing a little bit, imagining myself doing rotations in Lutheran hospital :')

I just saw that one of SOMA's sites is the hospital that I was born in, and visited quite frequently in my childhood. There's a park in front of it that we always used to go to, I believe it was MLK park. Applying this year for maybe c/o 2018. Its always been my dream to go back to Sunset Park. I genuinely love Brooklyn. I'm actually tearing a little bit, imagining myself doing rotations in Lutheran hospital :')

I encourage you to apply to SOMA then. It's a great program!

Hey I just had a question to any current students of the Phoenix CHC if you have a second please. I was wondering about relocating after first year, is it possible to still live in the Mesa area or do most students rent closer to the CHC after first year? Thank you.