2022-2023 UT Rio Grande Valley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What if I qualify for everything except for the MCAT? I did not do well on my mcat and will be retaking in August, but I'm unsure if they'll wait until my second score comes in before hopefully sending a secondary or send me a secondary but not an interview invite if I don't do well again.
In your case, it may be worth contacting them depending upon what you'd like them to do/not do. Some schools will wait to review your application until your new MCAT scores are in if you included that MCAT date on your primary app unless you ask them to do otherwise. UTRGV does perform a holistic screen for those who don't meet the stats screen, so if you are a good mission fit for them, they may go ahead and send you a secondary invitation regardless. However, probably a good idea to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

In your case, it may be worth contacting them depending upon what you'd like them to do/not do. Some schools will wait to review your application until your new MCAT scores are in if you included that MCAT date on your primary app unless you ask them to do otherwise. UTRGV does perform a holistic screen for those who don't meet the stats screen, so if you are a good mission fit for them, they may go ahead and send you a secondary invitation regardless. However, probably a good idea to ask.
Thank you so much for your feedback! I'll take it into consideration, and good luck with your applications!!

Reactions: 1 user
I received their secondary last cycle but have not yet received it this cycle (IS, transmitted 6/23). Worth sending an email, or just be patient? My stats should not have changed..

Members don't see this ad :)
I received their secondary last cycle but have not yet received it this cycle (IS, transmitted 6/23). Worth sending an email, or just be patient? My stats should not have changed..
I'm in a similar boat, but my stats are actually better this cycle. I'm trying to be patient for now, but please let me know if you end up emailing them.

Secondary received this morning with an initial transmission date on July 5th.

Their email gave an update on their timeline and that they will begin interviews soon (I assume with priority for the ED program). Additionally, they have added some notes in their secondary to disregard all of the additional instructions on the video upload page and to just answer one of the two questions as instructed.

Got an "invite-only secondary" lol. For this school, is this a big deal? wasn't expecting it with my subpar 500 mcat score.
+1 !! My science GPA is below the 3.2 screen so I wasn't expecting a secondary from UTRGV haha. So grateful to have received one today ! It was to my understanding that people who do not meet the initial stats screen are screened for mission fit so I feel like receiving a secondary despite not meeting the stats screen is a good sign that you're a good fit for the school :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Any type of applicant breakdown for this school? Like what % of secondary invites get Interview invites?
MSAR will have information about how many total interview invites are sent out - unsure of whether it will include how many secondary apps they send. I would check myself, but my subscription expired and I didn't renew because it just made me more neurotic

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
maybe I shouldnt get too excited. Their class size each year is roughly 60 students. wtf.
brutal. I believe that is the same as TCU, UH, and one other TX school. forgot which one

I’ve heard the class is 2/3 students from the valley region.
There is a pretty big physician shortage in the valley, so they are likely trying to train physicians that want to stay in the area.

Secondary received today 7/28. Primary transmitted 5/27. IS.

Secondary received 7/28, primary transmitted 7/1. IS.

+1 !! My science GPA is below the 3.2 screen so I wasn't expecting a secondary from UTRGV haha. So grateful to have received one today ! It was to my understanding that people who do not meet the initial stats screen are screened for mission fit so I feel like receiving a secondary despite not meeting the stats screen is a good sign that you're a good fit for the school :)
I was in your shoes last cycle! Ended up not getting an II but still was very happy to have received the secondary. Best of luck!

Any type of applicant breakdown for this school? Like what % of secondary invites get Interview invites?
I have MSAR, looks like 10.8% (475/5398) IS verified applications received interviews and 3% (35/962) OOS verified applications received interviews.

I have MSAR, looks like 10.8% (475/5398) IS verified applications received interviews and 3% (35/962) OOS verified applications received interviews.
Does a verified applicant mean that there was a completed secondary? Or just a transmitted primary.

Hi all!

Can anyone explain what this secondary question means? I'm having a hard time interpreting:

Describe a time when the awareness of your own limitations resulted in a favorable outcome for you or someone close to you. (350 words or less)

Hi all!

Can anyone explain what this secondary question means? I'm having a hard time interpreting:

Describe a time when the awareness of your own limitations resulted in a favorable outcome for you or someone close to you. (350 words or less)
Here's how I would interpret that one: Can you think of a time when you tried to handle something on your own, then realized you didn't know enough? ...then went to someone more experienced or knowledgeable for help and their expertise made a difference or helped solve the problem

Reactions: 3 users
Here's how I would interpret that one: Can you think of a time when you tried to handle something on your own, then realized you didn't know enough? ...then went to someone more experienced or knowledgeable for help and their expertise made a difference or helped solve the problem
The question reminds me of deep thoughts with Jack Handey on SNL. :)

AHH! Thanks! that makes a lot of sense!

+1 with stats below their screen posted on their website, but I am a strong mission fit!

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to upload the file for the video? In previous years we send a youtube link, but this year there are no instructions.....I tried to upload the file as a .mov and it says the file type was incorrect. What file type is it supposed to be? Thanks in advance!

*****Nevermind, I figured it out. I just uploaded my video on YouTube first and downloaded my video from YouTube as a MP4 file.
hey! so I recorded my video on my phone and it is 2 minutes, but it is way more than 30 MB. Should I upload to youtube and download as a MP4 file?

you were right! I converted my MOV. to MP4 through downloading from youtube and it worked! Thank you so much!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's somewhat reassuring that no one has received an II yet, so we're all still in the running!

Reactions: 2 users
They have just over a month to pick the ED interviews, schedule interviews, carry them out, and then pick their first batch of students. I think I'd be a great mission fit here as I can procrastinate too.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
They have just over a month to pick the ED interviews, schedule interviews, carry them out, and then pick their first batch of students. I think I'd be a great mission fit here as I can procrastinate too.
They also take daily siestas. :) We need @wysdoc to go personally to check why they have not issued any IIs until last week of August.

They also take daily siestas. :) We need @wysdoc to go personally to check why they have not issued any IIs until last week of August.
Quite strange, and the fact that their secondary is one of the more involved ones will not make it any easier...

68FAFB98-C1A7-4B9F-90F5-209EF175313C.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Maybe they are taking a break on their medical program this year to focus on their new podiatric medical school.

• Haha