2022-2023 Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you been able to schedule? The AMP Portal isn't loading for me
Yeah, I was able to schedule mine. They had 3 dates when I looked at it this morning from the end of January to early February!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II received earlier today and was complete 10/16. This is my dream school and an II here was an absolute surprise!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else complete early August not have a decision yet? It’s the hope that kills you….

Reactions: 5 users
II yesterday 12/15, complete 10/24 :) Super grateful!

A lot of us are complete in July with no decision. Just assuming it's over.
As a serial R-wave dodger, I assume it works like this. Bear with me, on a 24 hour shift and just downed a monster energy drink. Philosophizing about how schools decide who to send II’s to and why certain candidates get left in purgatory.

Assuming medical school’s directive is to get the highest quality candidates possible, initial review corresponds with a numerical scaling of our application. Below a certain threshold means rejection. Above that threshold means we get placed on the “potential II” list which is ranked according to our assigned numerical value (like a WARs score individualized to each school). Obviously, in the first few II waves, they take from the highest numbers (the superstars that fit Stanford’s mission the best). Then, they wait and discuss. Later applicants roll in and are ranked in that potential II list, pushing down July submitters. Then, when admissions notices they still have spots in the class, they select a certain amount from the top of that potential II list again. Repeat until class is full. There are going to be categories that stratify this. For example, if the admissions team thinks they need more French acrobats or URM samurai they can filter out the potential II list for those factors.

Essentially, to summarize, if you’re a stellar applicant, applying later won’t hurt you since you can push other candidates around. For July submitters, it means we languish in the forgotten archives with the graves of the fallen (Pre-II rejected) below us. Candidates with higher ratings stand on our shoulders waiting for the sweet salvation of a cancellation or another II drop. We exist in purgatory, my friend. Never to descend to the rejected pool nor ascend to the holy graces of an MMI.

So, yeah, pray for salvation for your derelict soul.

But know that it is unlikely to come.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 19 users
As a serial R-wave dodger, I assume it works like this. Bear with me, on a 24 hour shift and just downed a monster energy drink. Philosophizing about how schools decide who to send II’s to and why certain candidates get left in purgatory.

Assuming medical school’s directive is to get the highest quality candidates possible, initial review corresponds with a numerical scaling of our application. Below a certain threshold means rejection. Above that threshold means we get placed on the “potential II” list which is ranked according to our assigned numerical value (like a WARs score individualized to each school). Obviously, in the first few II waves, they take from the highest numbers (the superstars that fit Stanford’s mission the best). Then, they wait and discuss. Later applicants roll in and are ranked in that potential II list, pushing down July submitters. Then, when admissions notices they still have spots in the class, they select a certain amount from the top of that potential II list again. Repeat until class is full. There are going to be categories that stratify this. For example, if the admissions team thinks they need more French acrobats or URM samurai they can filter out the potential II list for those factors.

Essentially, to summarize, if you’re a stellar applicant, applying later won’t hurt you since you can push other candidates around. For July submitters, it means we languish in the forgotten archives with the graves of the fallen (Pre-II rejected) below us. Candidates with higher ratings stand on our shoulders waiting for the sweet salvation of a cancellation or another II drop. We exist in purgatory, my friend. Never to descend to the rejected pool nor ascend to the holy graces of an MMI.

So, yeah, pray for salvation for your derelict soul.

But know that it is unlikely to come.
Makes a lot of sense. Would follow that they leave a lot of us in purgatory so that they can look at the class they have currently assembled and see what type of people they need to round out the class with the few remaining spots.

Reactions: 2 users
I am a bit confused about Stanfords interview- on the portal it seemed to suggest it’s MMI stations plus traditional station, but the emails I‘ve received seem to suggest it’s all a computer administered interview by Kira Talent. Anyone able to clarify?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a bit confused about Stanfords interview- on the portal it seemed to suggest it’s MMI stations plus traditional station, but the emails I‘ve received seem to suggest it’s all a computer administered interview by Kira Talent. Anyone able to clarify?

I was confused too, but it was really organized. Its just as you said, mix of mmi and a traditional that takes the spot of two mmi stations. Instead of being on zoom, it’s on Kira’s platform that automatically sends you to the correct room when it’s time. All of it is seamless and you just wait to be transferred. You start on zoom and they will guide everyone to kira together.

Reactions: 3 users
any one know around when will the first wave of decision be released ? I am hoping for Jan-20 but on msar it says Jan-16 and the past year dates are all so random.

any one know around when will the first wave of decision be released ? I am hoping for Jan-20 but on msar it says Jan-16 and the past year dates are all so random.
They said Jan 16th on my interview day. Then again, that's MLK Jr. Day, so I'm guessing Jan 17th is more likely.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
They said Jan 16th on my interview day. Then again, that's MLK Jr. Day, so I'm guessing Jan 17th is more likely.
holy crap that's soon idk if im ready for that lol
lowkey was hoping it would be later so we could postpone the inevitable :sleep:

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
holy crap that's soon idk if im ready for that lol
lowkey was hoping it would be later so we could postpone the inevitable :sleep:
Lolll. They definitely emphasized that it was just the first wave, so don't worry - we could still have months to wait.

Question for PSTP interviewers...have you already received your Zoom links? Also, are you including talk solely about your research project in those 5 minutes, or are you also including how it affected you/your goals/what you learned from it?

Question for PSTP interviewers...have you already received your Zoom links? Also, are you including talk solely about your research project in those 5 minutes, or are you also including how it affected you/your goals/what you learned from it?
I received my zoom link pretty late I think, don't remember exactly when but close to the actual date. I babbled about my research for 10 min with a lot of detail for the first one and I definitely think I am boring the interviewer so for the second one I just talked about the significance and what I learned from it and I think that's better approach.

I was confused too, but it was really organized. Its just as you said, mix of mmi and a traditional that takes the spot of two mmi stations. Instead of being on zoom, it’s on Kira’s platform that automatically sends you to the correct room when it’s time. All of it is seamless and you just wait to be transferred. You start on zoom and they will guide everyone to kira together.

Thank you so much that honestly makes me feel so much better!

In that case, is the traditional interview also on Kira (just with a real person for that station), or do we have to switch to zoom and back for that one?

Thank you so much that honestly makes me feel so much better!

In that case, is the traditional interview also on Kira (just with a real person for that station), or do we have to switch to zoom and back for that one?
all interviews are done by real person in real time. Traditional interview= 2 stations, total 20 min. Everything is on kira

Anyone have an idea when they’re going to send out KH video invites?

Ahhh really? Where does it say that on the link you provided?
Oh I see it - the person who received the KHS call seems to be an econ phd applicant...curious if md video invites are maybe given out later? Has anyone here received a KHS video invite?

Ahhh really? Where does it say that on the link you provided?
Just the top / most recent post from Jan3 that says "got the call about Knight Hennessy!" - granted from an economics applicant so maybe KHS does it dept. specific or something...
Also from previous years, invites seem to go out for the next two weeks, so there's def hope for us to hold on to :X3:

Does anyone know if the traditional interview portion is open or closed file? Thank you!

MSTP applicant here – just got a KH video invite!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
The KH scholars application review only happens after the MD application is finished and if you are accepted. They said this in the KH scholars info session. So it doesn't impact your MD app at all.
Can anyone who attended one of the info sessions this year confirm or deny this statement? (OP's account is deleted) Pretty sure there was a video invitee who got waitlisted last year.

Can anyone who attended one of the info sessions this year confirm or deny this statement? (OP's account is deleted) Pretty sure there was a video invitee who got waitlisted last year.
It's a bit more nuanced than that. I attended an info session, and this is what they said (you can also find some info here: The Two Evaluation Processes):

KH application review does not happen only after the degree program (e.g., MD) application is finished and you are accepted. For reference, I have yet to receive a final MD or MSTP admissions decision. Rather, KH keeps in contact with the degree program to determine which KH applicants remain competitive for the degree program. They then use this information to determine the following:
  1. Who gets a video invite
  2. Who is named a finalist
  3. Who is named a KH scholar
Note that the second FAQ on the link above indicates that you will not be accepted by KH if you don't get into the degree program. So if KH is made aware that one of their applicants is no longer competitive on the degree program side of things, KH won't send a video invite/name them a finalist/name them a scholar (even if KH loves them). However, KH's app review criteria are distinct from that of the degree program, so it's also very possible that a KH applicant is doing amazing on the degree program side of things but is turned down by KH (in fact, this happens as per the third FAQ on the link above).

Keep in mind that the specific phrase the KH people use is remain competitive: they move forward applicants who are doing well on the degree program side of things, but this is definitely not the same as being admitted by the degree program. And not hearing back from KH is not an indication that you're no longer in the running on the degree program side of things, because as I mentioned before, KH is distinct and looks for different things than the degree program.

I attended two info sessions- they said KH does not impact your program admission, except in very rare cases it may give a little push for PhD applicants. (has happened before because KH will cover expenses which would otherwise need to be covered by the department/ program/ supervisor due to guaranteed stipend for PhD students).
KH does check in regularly with admissions to make sure the applicant is at least competitive, but the applicant does not need to be accepted into the program in order to receive an invite to interview for KH (applicant must receive degree offer of admission before KH offer of admission though)
in summary: SOM will not be swayed by KH competitiveness. But KH will be swayed by SOM competitiveness.

OOS II today around midnight. Submitted early august, BCPM 3.96, ogpa 3.90, MCAT 519, current PhD student

Are there any major Cons to stanford? Really regretting not applying and any rationalization would help lol
Stanford has not sent me an II yet. For every day they don't sent me an II, I will catfish ONE Silicon Valley tech entrepreneur.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Does KH notify of anything other than a video invite at this point? like if you didn’t get it would they send a letter now or much later?

II received yesterday 1/5/2023 and application submitted back in June!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
for my fellow mstp applicants, is the earliest date for decisions listed on MSAR (Jan 16) also applicable for us?

for my fellow mstp applicants, is the earliest date for decisions listed on MSAR (Jan 16) also applicable for us?
Yes and no. During my interview visit, they said it's likely we'll hear back from the MD program first – if accepted by the MD program, we'll get a decision letter from the MSTP later (can be weeks/month(s)). They said this is because the MSTP identifies who to accept/reject after the MD committee has made its decision

Are they done with II at this point? Submitted early August and still heard nothing :(

Can anyone who has gone through the PSTP interview shed some light on its structure. We were told to prepare a 5 minute talk about our research, but how is the remaining 25 used?