2022-2023 Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why does howard med ask for SAT Scores?
Likely because they have an BS-MD program, so it's asking for those particular prospective students

Members don't see this ad.

YOOOO i messed up and put the same essay on two prompts!! Is there anyway the admissions would let me go back and edit?

Members don't see this ad :)
I find it extremely odd that a school that proclaims they want underserved and disadvantaged students is one of the only schools in the United States that does not accept FAP. What? They need money that bad bro??! This is actually disgusting ngl I don't even know if I want to submit for them anymore.
As a student here, I can tell you that the school goes further out of its way to serve the underserved and provide opportunities to disadvantaged students more than you know. Howard already receives more applications per dollar of funding than almost any other CoM. That is because there are so many disadvantaged students who want to shoot their shot and come here.

I was a FAP student and very poor. However, I had scores to go anywhere. I applied to a lot of places and got in some other places, but I borrowed the money to pay the application fee at Howard and have seen firsthand how much they really do work to serve a community that no one else gives the time of day. No one is getting rich off your application fee, but it does help to pay for staff to show you that you matter when you interview here. Why did I accept here rather than somewhere else?- because they made me feel like they wanted me here, like I mattered. Other schools have the money to offset the FAP waivers. For the volume of FAP students that apply here (like me), we don’t.

EDIT: I just wanted to say that I'm not trying to slam you. I was just as frustrated about paying the application fee as you are. With all the costs associated with flying around the world to interview, the last thing I needed was to feel like the school looking out for disadvantaged folks was taking my lunch money. But with some time and perspective, the reason it was necessary became readily apparent. Focus on getting yourself on this side of the looking glass and don't sweat the small stuff. Good luck with your applications!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
As a student here, I can tell you that the school goes further out of its way to serve the underserved and provide opportunities to disadvantaged students more than you know. Howard already receives more applications per dollar of funding than almost any other CoM. That is because there are so many disadvantaged students who want to shoot their shot and come here.

I was a FAP student and very poor. However, I had scores to go anywhere. I applied to a lot of places and got in some other places, but I borrowed the money to pay the application fee at Howard and have seen firsthand how much they really do work to serve a community that no one else gives the time of day. No one is getting rich off your application fee, but it does help to pay for staff to show you that you matter when you interview here. Why did I accept here rather than somewhere else?- because they made me feel like they wanted me here, like I mattered. Other schools have the money to offset the FAP waivers. For the volume of FAP students that apply here (like me), we don’t.

EDIT: I just wanted to say that I'm not trying to slam you. I was just as frustrated about paying the application fee as you are. With all the costs associated with flying around the world to interview, the last thing I needed was to feel like the school looking out for disadvantaged folks was taking my lunch money. But with some time and perspective, the reason it was necessary became readily apparent. Focus on getting yourself on this side of the looking glass and don't sweat the small stuff. Good luck with your applications!
Thank you for sharing that! I got heated at that moment and used stronger words than I probably should have considering I still submitted my application the next day lol. Their secondary fee is the lowest of them all, and frankly, I'd love to attend Howard given the chance. I feel like Howard is one of the schools really dedicated to its mission. I grew up in a third-world country so I am particularly sensitive to the needs of the underserved. Hopefully, I get to see you on the other side :)

Reactions: 3 users
I signed up for the August First Friday, but I have not received a zoom link yet. Has this happened to anyone else?

Reactions: 1 user
I signed up for the August First Friday, but I have not received a zoom link yet. Has this happened to anyone else?
Honestly, don't be surprised if you get the link morning of. Lol I love my alma mater but they tend run on CP time😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
How did you sign up for this? I cannot find the link/page?

Hey yall I submitted my app on the 29th and had my app waived because of FAP. But i know you need to pay the 75 in order to have your app complete wheter or not you have FAP. However, I havent recieved the email after submitting my secondary anybody else is in dilenma.

Hey yall I submitted my app on the 29th and had my app waived because of FAP. But i know you need to pay the 75 in order to have your app complete wheter or not you have FAP. However, I havent recieved the email after submitting my secondary anybody else is in dilenma.
Same

Members don't see this ad :)
I cant wait for the next 2-3 weeks when interviews start coming out.

Still waiting to for my app to be reviewed from AMCAS 🙃 I submitted a little late as I just finished a masters program in May so I was jumbled

Was anything important said in First Friday?

Reactions: 1 users
Was anything important said in First Friday?
It was very informative and helpful! Interview screening is a 494, CASPER is used during the process but more for data purposes, so it won't hurt if you score in a low quartile. They also stated they already have about 5,000 applications already, and I believe they stated they would offer about 450 interviews. I would definitely recommend joining the next one if possible. They had current med students answer questions as well.

Reactions: 2 users
The secondary receipt email says II do not go out until September. Quoting it from the email: "Invitations will be issued between September until early April. Most interviews will be completed by the end of April."
Sorry im going through this thread again and my email says interviews will go out in late August instead of september

Sorry im going through this thread again and my email says interviews will go out in late August instead of september
Hmm that's weird, the only thing I can think of is that they updated the email later. I checked mine again just now and I stand by what I said but if that is what you just got then maybe they updated it to start sooner.

did anyone else get an email saying that their amcas and secondary app has been reviewed??

When we’re tall verified for those who received the email there app has been reviewed.

I don’t think it will lead to more apps

I feel like the better question is will that cause current students to switch their interest to sports medicine

I feel like the better question is will that cause current students to switch their interest to sports medicine
I think it might peak an interest but they'll quickly realize whether it's really for them or not.

Has anyone had any issues accessing the gateway? It keeps telling me its timing out...

Hey y’all how is Casper used for admission purposes? Is it weighed heavily I got 2nd quartile so I don’t know

A friend told me that DMV residents (that aren’t in DC specifically) are considered in-state for Howard.. is that true?

A friend told me that DMV residents (that aren’t in DC specifically) are considered in-state for Howard.. is that true?
Howard undergrad here. Howard is a private institution so it doesn't matter.