2022-2023 Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @runner31 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Emory Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year. (200 word max)

2. Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences. (200 word max)

3. Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected. (200 word max)

4. What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community? (200 word max)

5. If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below. (200 word max)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@chilly_md

OOS secondary received.

1. List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year. (200 word max)

2. Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences. (200 word max)

3. Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected. (200 word max)

4. What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community? (200 word max)

5. If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below. (200 word max)

If anyone else is applying to the MD/MPH program could you tell us if their prompt is also the same as last year's?

Members don't see this ad :)
In the secondary in the course requirements section when it says to list the course number only does it literally mean only course number or course prefix and number?? In some sections two of my courses have the same course number and I want to make sure I am designating them correctly.

In the secondary in the course requirements section when it says to list the course number only does it literally mean only course number or course prefix and number?? In some sections two of my courses have the same course number and I want to make sure I am designating them correctly.
I did course prefix and number to avoid any confusion. That is how it was on the primary as well iirc.

I am confused. On the Program Select Section, If I am only applying to MD ONLY, do I still need to complete the MD/MPH and MD/MA in Bioethics essay prompts?

I am confused. On the Program Select Section, If I am only applying to MD ONLY, do I still need to complete the MD/MPH and MD/MA in Bioethics essay prompts?
You shouldn't have to. I selected "MD Only" and did not have any additional prompts displayed. If yours are displaying even if you checked that, are you on mobile? Seems that was an issue with last cycle's applications. If that is the case, try doing it on a computer and see if that fixes the prompts being displayed.

It seems like this problem only happens on Safari on Mac. I switched to Google Chrome and that seemed to resolve the issue.

Reactions: 1 user
For the prompt asking about our entire curriculum plan, do you think we should just list the courses we're taking in Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 and leave it at that?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I mention a new gap year experience I started since submitting the primary in #1, do I need to repeat it in #5? How are most people using the space in #5? Could it be for an adversity or diversity essay?

If I mention a new gap year experience I started since submitting the primary in #1, do I need to repeat it in #5? How are most people using the space in #5? Could it be for an adversity or diversity essay?
I would probably not use it as such because it is only asking for updates or new information. I'm currently one year into my two planned gap years and I'm just continuing all the same activities I described in #1, so I didn't answer #5 at all.

For MD-PhDs, how much detail are you including for the research experience question? They give us 2000 words, but this seems to be the exact same content as the significant research essay.

For MD-PhDs, how much detail are you including for the research experience question? They give us 2000 words, but this seems to be the exact same content as the significant research essay.

Can you post the MD-PhD prompt(s)?

Can you post the MD-PhD prompt(s)?
Refer to the websites below to identify FIVE current Emory faculty you would like to meet if you are selected for an interview. It is important that you include the following information for each of the faculty you select:

• Full name and department
  • How does their research relate to your interests and goals as a physician-scientist
  • If applicable, let us know if you have worked in their lab or if they have written a letter of recommendation for you
  • 2000 words

The MD/PhD Admissions Committee requires information about all of your significant research experience. We understand that the pandemic has interrupted research plans for many, so please include any mentored research-focused activities you participated in starting Spring 2020 to the present, regardless of length. This would include virtual/remote projects. Please list below, IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, all of your significant research projects. Be sure to include each of the following items for each experience:

Dates (month/yyyy – month/yyyy)
Hours/week
Supervisor (PI) Name and Title
Organization Name
City, State or Country
Poster/Presentation Title
Description of Project and Your Role
2000 words

Please enter ALL publications in CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, with the most recent publications first, using citation format. (This should include materials that you reported on your AMCAS application and any new publications since that time.) 1000 words

What should we include in health-related experiences? Is it just clinical activities or does it involve research etc?

Does anyone know how receptive Emory is to reapplicants? I interviewed here last here and didn't get in. I made some improvements to my secondary, though some sentences stayed the same so I was wondering if I could keep my hopes up for this school. Any data/anecdotal evidence would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 2 users
For Emory's humanities/social sciences requirement, do foreign languages count? I took a **** ton of language classes so hoping I could include those into the hefty 18 hour requirement they have

For Emory's humanities/social sciences requirement, do foreign languages count? I took a **** ton of language classes so hoping I could include those into the hefty 18 hour requirement they have
I assumed so and used mine. I also did a ton of language class as my humanities...

Hey did anyone get a secondary whos mcat score was released today?

same question, any insight anyone?

I would probably use 5 to give an AMCAS W/A description - hours, responsibilities, etc
what if I gave a description in the first question? Would it be a bad idea to go an entirely different route and put a diversity essay in there?

Do I need to wear a suit and tie for the profile picture? Can anyone comment

Would it be okay to list healthcare experiences with dates and a brief description? Or would I be better off trying to fit everything in an essay form?

Would it be okay to list healthcare experiences with dates and a brief description? Or would I be better off trying to fit everything in an essay form?
I went ahead and wrote it essay style. A list might seem a bit too simple and lack insight.

How long after being complete did it take for y'all to get a complete email?

Still havent received a complete email after a week. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited:
instantly
when did you submit? i submitted literally 7/19 and i still haven't gotten a complete email. should probably contact them on Monday.....

edit: the portal did say application complete as soon as i finished tho so maybe it’s on their end?

Last edited: