2021-2022 Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any portal updates or emails? The only thing keeping me from wondering if I dreamt the call is a voicemail from when I missed the first one lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To admitted folk - did anyone receive a 75% tuition scholarship? I saw several note 100% tuition, but their MD aid site suggests that a 75% exists... just trying to gauge whether those of us who didn't receive 100% on call are still in the running for merit aid lol

Reactions: 1 user
To admitted folk - did anyone receive a 75% tuition scholarship? I saw several note 100% tuition, but their MD aid site suggests that a 75% exists... just trying to gauge whether those of us who didn't receive 100% on call are still in the running for merit aid lol
I was wondering this too but I read somewhere that the only time they award merit scholarships was at the time of acceptance and that they award them by phone and email. So I guess that means if the person who called you didn't say you got one, you aren't going to in the future? I hope I'm wrong

• Care
I was wondering this too but I read somewhere that the only time they award merit scholarships was at the time of acceptance and that they award them by phone and email. So I guess that means if the person who called you didn't say you got one, you aren't going to in the future? I hope I'm wrong
pain

Anyone think we'll get acceptance emails/portal updates tomorrow? I think it's unlikely that they'd send them between Christmas Eve and New Years.

For those of us without IIs here is it match set and point?
Probably. MSAR shows 633 IIs in the last cycle reported (2019-20) and their tracker shows 612 IIs this cycle. So, maybe there are ~20 IIs to go, maybe not, since they are under no obligation to hit exactly 633. Plus, they might have sent out more and not updated the tracker.

The conservative thing to do on 12/23 is write this one off and be pleasantly surprised if an II somehow finds its way into your in-box.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably. MSAR shows 633 IIs in the last cycle reported (2019-20) and their tracker shows 612 IIs this cycle. So, maybe there are ~20 IIs to go, maybe not, since they are under no obligation to hit exactly 633. Plus, they might have sent out more and not updated the tracker.

The conservative thing to do on 12/23 is write this one off and be pleasantly surprised if an II somehow finds its way into your in-box.
Last year they had about 730 II’s

Last year they had about 730 II’s
Yup. You might be onto something. They increased IIs significantly (and extended their interview season) last year in response to the surge in applications and the delays caused by the pandemic.

This cycle, while there are no significant pandemic-related application processing delays, their apps are down by less than 200, so maybe they are keeping IIs at the elevated level, even though they have issued no indication that they intend to do so.

They sent this e-mail out in November of 2020; has anyone received a similar e-mail this year?:

"To be fair to all applicants, we decided to extend our review of files into the middle of January (normally completed at the beginning of December). This will allow us to extend our interview season well into February, while we are normally complete at the end of January. We plan to interview as many of you as we can accommodate in this time frame."

I stand by my feeling that they are probably pretty much done, other than maybe sending out a few last minute IIs to cover any last minute cancellations.

Admin said they are aiming for around 650 II's this year (md + mdphd) - just adding what I heard!
Makes sense. So, either they are done and they need to update the tracker, or they have one more wave of around 40 +/- IIs left. As I said before, the healthiest thing to do is write them off and be pleasantly surprised if you somehow get a last minute II.

Any thoughts on what it means if we haven't heard back yet after interviewing ~September? Does Vandy continue sending out A's or do they notify people of a waitlist decision?

Makes sense. So, either they are done and they need to update the tracker, or they have one more wave of around 40 +/- IIs left. As I said before, the healthiest thing to do is write them off and be pleasantly surprised if you somehow get a last minute II.
The few schools that told us about how many interviews they would have this year all said they increased interviews last year, found the increase to be useless, and reverted to normal this year.

The few schools that told us about how many interviews they would have this year all said they increased interviews last year, found the increase to be useless, and reverted to normal this year.
Yup, I've also heard this from some schools as well. One school during my interview day actually said they're planning on interviewing less people this cycle than they normally interview in the past

Yup, I've also heard this from some schools as well. One school during my interview day actually said they're planning on interviewing less people this cycle than they normally interview in the past
Can you guys mention some of the schools you are referring to?

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a great Christmas holiday! I was just wondering about the interview-- mine is coming up soon. For the 30 min short interview what kind of questions should I expect and also for the 60 min one as well? Also, did you guys feel like the interviews were stressful or not? Trying to gauge what I should expect to get into. I could really use some advice-- really nervous.
Thank you!

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a great Christmas holiday! I was just wondering about the interview-- mine is coming up soon. For the 30 min short interview what kind of questions should I expect and also for the 60 min one as well? Also, did you guys feel like the interviews were stressful or not? Trying to gauge what I should expect to get into. I could really use some advice-- really nervous.
Thank you!
Congrats on getting the interview! Without getting into the specific interview questions, I'd recommend to really know your application material (both primary and secondary) very well, and be prepared to talk about / expand on your experiences in detail. My two interviewers were extremely chill and easygoing. Vandy's interview is probably one of the most comfortable and welcoming one I've had so far!
Good luck!!

Wait, so have they made decisions on November MD interviewees?

Congrats on getting the interview! Without getting into the specific interview questions, I'd recommend to really know your application material (both primary and secondary) very well, and be prepared to talk about / expand on your experiences in detail. My two interviewers were extremely chill and easygoing. Vandy's interview is probably one of the most comfortable and welcoming one I've had so far!
Good luck!!
I saw on the interview feedback page one of the interviews is open-file and one is closed-file. Is that still the case?

Has anyone who got an acceptance call seen any update in their portal or gotten an email from Vandy confirming it? I would assume I need to do something electronically to hold my spot and do not want to miss a deadline or something!

Does anyone remember what Vandy said about sending another letter of interest if they didn't get accepted in December? Also, any ideas on how would we differentiate our second LOI from the first

Does anyone remember what Vandy said about sending another letter of interest if they didn't get accepted in December? Also, any ideas on how would we differentiate our second LOI from the first
IIRC, I think they said feel free to send one in December and then another one closer to March decisions if you're not yet accepted!

IIRC, I think they said feel free to send one in December and then another one closer to March decisions if you're not yet accepted!
Wait are decisions in March or February? I also somewhat remember March, but their website says late February right now

Wait are decisions in March or February? I also somewhat remember March, but their website says late February right now
In my notes I have March but maybe they're trying to get it out earlier?

Portal update (and email) with A!
Edit: This is not a new wave of decisions (I received the call back in mid December)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Same here, got an email with a change in the portal around an hour ago!

For those who didn't receive a full-ride in their acceptance call/email, are there news of merit scholarships anywhere else?

I also got the portal update :) ! Do y'all think Second Look will be virtual or in-person? I was really hoping for in-person but it did mention it was virtual on the portal, but it also said it is still being planned, so I wasn't sure.

Any other accepted students portals not letting them log in?

Edit: Resolved

Last edited:
I'm still having trouble logging into the portal. Not an incorrect password message (and I'm 100% sure mine is correct), it just refreshes the login page when I try to log in. Did you guys have to do something?

EDIT: The reset password link also just sends me to the log in page instead of a reset page.
After logging in and allowing the page to refresh, click on the vanderbilt school of medicine logo in the upper left

Will Vandy send out official R's to all applicants not offered an II at some point, or is silence after January a pretty good indicator?

Reactions: 2 users
Will Vandy send out official R's to all applicants not offered an II at some point, or is silence after January a pretty good indicator?
Last II last year on sdn was 2/15/21 and last interview day was 2/26/21 but I know last cycle was a bit different due the pandemic. I’m pretty sure the last interview in 2020 was 1/17/20 on sdn so it’s hard to gauge whether it’s like last year or the year before in terms of the timeline ending in January or February. Their tracker now shows 619 interviews invitations sent, which is less than the 758 and 658 people they sent last year and the year before respectively. So I’m still holding out hope, but only a little.

Oh and the last IIs usually come on the day they slam everyone with R’s, which doesn’t seem to have happened yet (fingers crossed).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Last II last year on sdn was 2/15/21 and last interview day was 2/26/21 but I know last cycle was a bit different due the pandemic. I’m pretty sure the last interview in 2020 was 1/17/20 on sdn so it’s hard to gauge whether it’s like last year or the year before in terms of the timeline ending in January or February. Their tracker now shows 619 interviews invitations sent, which is less than the 758 and 658 people they sent last year and the year before respectively. So I’m still holding out hope, but only a little.

Oh and the last IIs usually come on the day they slam everyone with R’s, which doesn’t seem to have happened yet (fingers crossed).
Thank you oh wise one

They told us on interview day they're aiming for about 650 this year so I think it will look like 2 years ago

For those who interviewed, when did you get matched with your interviewers and assigned to morning/ afternoon session? Also is it all zoom or is are schedule details/ links to join/ other logistics supposed to appear in the portal? Really excited to have the opportunity to interview but want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

*PLEASE DON'T QUOTE
Mine was emailed to me 4 days prior ! It will all be in a Zoom link emailed to you. Best of luck :)

Random question, but have people who've interviewed gotten a post-interview feedback survey (like they mentioned in the final slideshow)? I never actually got an email after my interview and don't know if this means anything. 😅 (interviewed a few months ago and not accepted in the first wave)

• Dislike
Random question, but have people who've interviewed gotten a post-interview feedback survey (like they mentioned in the final slideshow)? I never actually got an email after my interview and don't know if this means anything. 😅 (interviewed a few months ago and not accepted in the first wave)
I didn't get one either but was accepted so I don't that will mean anything bad ! Hope you get accepted in the next wave !!

II just now! very surprised, had given up hope on vandy😅complete mid-july.

since it is kind of late in the game though, I was wondering if anyone knew if I'd essentially be interviewing for the WL, or does vandy not do that? thanks :)

• Love
II just now! very surprised, had given up hope on vandy😅complete mid-july.

since it is kind of late in the game though, I was wondering if anyone knew if I'd essentially be interviewing for the WL, or does vandy not do that? thanks :)
Wow, congrats on the interview! My understanding is that 'interviewing for the WL" is more of a DO thing. MD schools, especially top ones like Vandy don't play that game. You're in it to win it!

• Care
Wow, congrats on the interview! My understanding is that 'interviewing for the WL" is more of a DO thing. MD schools, especially top ones like Vandy don't play that game. You're in it to win it!
thank you so much! that's great to hear :)

thank you so much! that's great to hear :)
Im a late interview too (earlier this month) and unfortunately I think we're basically lower rated and less likely to get in. It definitely isn't an II for WL or even close, but essentially we need to have a better interview.