2021-2022 Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone actually end up receiving an email to check the portal at any point? I never actually did. I did receive the email for financial aid and then the confirmation email when I filled out the Admission Data Form, but I never got a portal update email and I'm curious if others did
I didn’t!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn’t!
I didn't either. I thought they had said they'd send updates regardless, but I never received a message, just checked my portal and saw I was on the waitlist. I had already sent an update per the instructions on my interview day, any guidance on LOIs for waitlisted? I've been accepted elsewhere but Pitt is my first choice.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would y'all recommend addressing a LOI to the admissions committee or to the dean of admissions?

Previous years, there was waitlist movement at the end of February.
I was curious about this bc on the portal for the waitlist decision it says "In the spring, the Committee will be giving your application further consideration and begin offering admission to the applicants on the wait list," so does that mean we might be waiting till march? or have they always said "in the spring" when they started the waitlist movement in February?

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone curious I had my non premed friend call lmao. They won't share how many people are on the wl/were already accepted. They also won't comment on if the 65 predicted acceptances from the waitlist on msar is accurate. The only thing they did answer was that the list is completely unranked, the order is not already predetermined. Who they accept off the wl is also partially determined by the profiles of the people that end up declining their offers.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
For anyone curious I had my non premed friend call lmao. They won't share how many people are on the wl/were already accepted. They also won't comment on if the 65 predicted acceptances from the waitlist on msar is accurate. The only thing they did answer was that the list is completely unranked, the order is not already predetermined. Who they accept off the wl is also partially determined by the profiles of the people that end up declining their offers.
Haha love this

• Haha
just checked my mailbox and there was a physical letter from pitt telling me i'm on the WL again lmao. surprised they sent out a letter and not an email

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
for anyone that submitted a letter of interest or intent, did it appear in your portal?

Any current students that I could DM that wouldn’t mind answering a few questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Previous years, there was waitlist movement at the end of February.
Makes sense bc the aamc tool opens up typically end of Feb. Schools get to see how the # of students who indicate their school as top choice I believe. They can't see who but that may give schools additional information about their expected yield.

How receptive is Pittsburgh to letters of interests? I was thinking of sending one next week.

How receptive is Pittsburgh to letters of interests? I was thinking of sending one next week.
if you do I wouldn’t delay because there’s a good chance the committee meets for first WL movement around the first week of march

if you do I wouldn’t delay because there’s a good chance the committee meets for first WL movement around the first week of march
Why do you believe first week of march? Just curious, I expected it to be later. Although Pitt is different since they are not rolling admissions based.

Why do you believe first week of march? Just curious, I expected it to be later. Although Pitt is different since they are not rolling admissions based.
I actually think the first WL movement might be earlier than the first week of march. In 2019 they released decisions on Jan 29th and first WL movement was Feb 27th

so uhhh anyone plan on withdrawing

IMG_2564.JPG

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 16 users
Does anyone else on the waitlist not have pitt as an option on your choose your medical school tool? My other waitlists are still on there under "alternate list"

Does anyone else on the waitlist not have pitt as an option on your choose your medical school tool? My other waitlists are still on there under "alternate list"
+1 also don't have them. They're my only WL though so I can't confirm the other part of it

+1 also don't have them. They're my only WL though so I can't confirm the other part of it
Doc32,

There is a difference between the two. I know this because I have been on both. The waitlist is applied once you have interviewed and they do not want to make a decision on your case. Most schools will place you on the waitlist after an interview if they think that they may be interested in you after they have interviewed a certain percentage of the applicants. In other words, you are neither rejected or accepted. I was placed on the waitlist to Marshall University in October and still have yet to hear from them.

The alternate list is a list of ranked, or in some cases unranked individuals, that did not get a spot in the class outright. The create alternate lists in case one of the people they accepted decides to pull their acceptance late in the game. This is how they insure that their class will be filled at the time of matriculation. I was placed on the alternate list two years ago at WVSOM and found out the day before their classes started that I had not been moved from the list and therefore did not get accepted.

Both are good things to be on, because they signify no rejected applications. I have known several people who got accepted in August for the upcoming school year because they were on the alternate list. Dont give up, even though you constantly check your mail and phone machine to see if you have heard. Most of the time, no news is good news. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with any additional questions.

Aaron
Perhaps bc waitlist and alternate are separate things? Idk

I just updated my CYMS and Pitt showed up, it might be that they're processing things as we speak.

Reactions: 2 users
What's the difference between being on the alternate list vs waitlist?
They're the same thing. Alternate list is the AAMC's language but most school's prefer to call it the waitlist cause that's the phrase that's most commonly known.

Do my fellow WL peeps think we will see any movement today or tomorrow?

that makes sense but is it going to stop me from refreshing and checking the portal to see for any changes? no 😭
This is exactly why I asked lmaooo. Time spent refreshing this thread and the portal this week is unhealthy

This is exactly why I asked lmaooo. Time spent refreshing this thread and the portal this week is unhealthy
Oh same, I have not stopped redrafting my letter to them and refreshing here, the portal and now CYMS since decisions first came out

If we are waitlisted, are we supposed to go on the CYMS tool and select anything? I have no acceptances (only WLs) so I can't access the tool.

If we are waitlisted, are we supposed to go on the CYMS tool and select anything? I have no acceptances (only WLs) so I can't access the tool.
You can only PTE (Plan To Enroll) if you have at least one acceptance and I don't believe you can mark PTE at a school where you are on an alternate or wait list.

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from PSTP? When are they releasing decisions? I thought we would def know by now??

Any updates?
Based on historical trends, it will probably be on a Friday since committees seem to meet on Thursday. With no movement yet, they may be waiting for the remaining schools with mid-March releases to send out decisions to see if it leads to changes in CYMS and/or withdrawals. The uncertainty and waiting sure does suck though :(

Yeah :(( Hopefully we hear back soon!
I hope, but I also think last cycle part of the problem was they sent too many acceptances off the waitlist in March which led to overenrollment. I have a feeling they will release fewer acceptances during the first wave and will wait until April/May for withdrawals rather then placing too much faith in CYMS

• Wow
Is anyone else waiting to hear back from PSTP? When are they releasing decisions? I thought we would def know by now??
I thought they said we should hear early mid-mid March?

also, did anyone get off of the regular MD waitlist?

i hate to be that crazy person, but right now.... i am that crazy person... can't stop refreshing portal.... can't stop checking sdn

• Care
Reactions: 4 users