2021-2022 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could a current student or someone else clarify if M. State is a true pass/fail institution? MSAR says preclinical pass/fail with no internal rankings however they do have AOA so is that determined by performance throughout clinicals or are you ranked by the percentages received on your pre-clinical exams?

Members don't see this ad.

Could a current student or someone else clarify if M. State is a true pass/fail institution? MSAR says preclinical pass/fail with no internal rankings however they do have AOA so is that determined by performance throughout clinicals or are you ranked by the percentages received on your pre-clinical exams?

Current M1 here - our curriculum is a true P/F with no internal rankings. We have a very collaborative culture at CHM, and all the students are very supportive of each other! :highfive: We have AOA selection for 3rd and 4th year students, and it depends on your “whole picture” including your academics (PCSE/CNSE scores, honors in clerkships, scholarships, awards), research, presentations, teaching, and service.

Reactions: 1 user
Pre-II R this morning about 9am for MD track. Best of luck to all of you!

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about that. Do you mind sharing stats and completion date?
Sure! I was complete very late, 11/16, so I was pretty surprised to hear back already. IS OORM. Not the best stats (which explains the R!): 3.0X cGPA (undergrad), 4.0 GPA (graduate), 50X MCAT, 4th quartile casper, 5000+ clinical hours, 4 pubs

Last edited:
Ok so my application has been forwarded for preliminary review since July 24, 2021, and when I checked the portal again today, it says December 2, 2021??? Does that mean I'm at the bottom of the queue again?? 4 months with no news is already agonizing enough.

Ok so my application has been forwarded for preliminary review since July 24, 2021, and when I checked the portal again today, it says December 2, 2021??? Does that mean I'm at the bottom of the queue again?? 4 months with no news is already agonizing enough.
Some of the med schools have a portal that updates itself like that- what it means is that “ as of this date, your status is xyz” and it doesn’t mean they sent you to the end of the line again. Try not to worry 😕

Some of the med schools have a portal that updates itself like that- what it means is that “ as of this date, your status is xyz” and it doesn’t mean they sent you to the end of the line again. Try not to worry 😕
So does this mean our apps are still under review? No decision yet?

So be honest with am too hopeful? I haven't heard anything back from CHM since I applied at the start of the cycle (App status is still forwarded for prelimary review) but I read this on their website (Application Process | Office of Admissions | Michigan State University) that says "It is very common for applications to be held for an interview decision, for comparison to the larger applicant pool that evolves over the year. This may significantly delay a decision to extend an invitation to interview or reject the application." and "We receive newly verified applications from AMCAS through January; therefore, most applications that are held for an interview decision will be reviewed again in January" think I have a good chance for January (I am 510/ 3.9/ ORM) but I also wonder why I wasn't II early.

At this point I don't know If I should be hopeful about CHM or start giving up on the school. Anyone have any advice?

So be honest with am too hopeful? I haven't heard anything back from CHM since I applied at the start of the cycle (App status is still forwarded for prelimary review) but I read this on their website (Application Process | Office of Admissions | Michigan State University) that says "It is very common for applications to be held for an interview decision, for comparison to the larger applicant pool that evolves over the year. This may significantly delay a decision to extend an invitation to interview or reject the application." and "We receive newly verified applications from AMCAS through January; therefore, most applications that are held for an interview decision will be reviewed again in January" think I have a good chance for January (I am 510/ 3.9/ ORM) but I also wonder why I wasn't II early.

At this point I don't know If I should be hopeful about CHM or start giving up on the school. Anyone have any advice?
Does your application status say "on hold"? Mine did and i was removed from the hold list and given an II this week

My advice would be (as blunt as this may sound) to do nothing because there’s nothing you can do to change the outcome. Worrying will change nothing too. Be patient, focus on yourself and try to forget this whole process. The time for your interview will come naturally because you have the stats so its just a matter of time!

Members don't see this ad :)
The time for your interview will come naturally because you have the stats so its just a matter of time!
I really hope you are secretly a MSUCHM adcom, that being said I appreciate your faith in me :)

Anyone who has interviewed recently: did it seem like the interviewer had reviewed your PS or parts of your application before the interview?

Anyone who has interviewed recently: did it seem like the interviewer had reviewed your PS or parts of your application before the interview?
The 1:1 did. They actually started the interview by telling me they thoroughly read through my application and secondaries. The MMI did not say anything like that.

The 1:1 did. They actually started the interview by telling me they thoroughly read through my application and secondaries. The MMI did not say anything like that.
Did it seem like they actually had? Did they ask you specific questions about experiences you wrote?

Did it seem like they actually had? Did they ask you specific questions about experiences you wrote?
They definitely did. They weren't asking to try and trick me and see if I actually had the experience. But they would mention the experience and play off of it into a question about my character traits.

My interviewer mentioned absolutely nothing about my application. They asked me 6 questions with some follow up on those questions. Then there was time at the end to ask them whatever you wanted to about the school. That’s all.

Still on the WL after interviewing back in the beginning of October. Have there been any As or Rs off the WL, or any post-II Rs?

It sounds like people who were accepted on previous decision dates got a call the night before....has anybody heard from MSU tonight?

Just got an Acceptance 2 hours ago😄.
It sounds like people who were accepted on previous decision dates got a call the night before....has anybody heard from MSU tonight?
yes. I got a call around 6:30 pm today. Interviewed 11/29.

Reactions: 2 users
Did any accepted folk get calls on a Wednesday/decision date?

Going through this thread and noticing everyone got their calls on the Tuesday night prior.

Last edited:
Did any accepted folk get calls on a Wednesday/decision date?

Going through this thread and noticing everyone got their calls on the Tuesday night prior.
From looking at last year's thread it looks like a few people got an acceptance email on notification day Wednesdays that didn't get acceptance call the night before. However, its much more likely that they hand out R/WL on those days.

Not great news 😔 but here's to hoping...

From looking at last year's thread it looks like a few people got an acceptance email on notification day Wednesdays that didn't get acceptance call the night before. However, its much more likely that they hand out R/WL on those days.

Not great news 😔 but here's to hoping...

Reaaaally hoping especially since:

1. We haven’t gotten a big A wave since acceptances were starting to be offered in October.
2. Last year on the December 15th date, it looks like they were late to offer the full batch of acceptances that day.

Last edited:
Just got the call last night! Woo Hoo, big summer blowout.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else waitlisted and super anxious? Has anyone heard back after being waitlisted and have there been cases in the past where waitlisted people hear back earlier than April?

For those accepted this week, have you received an email from admissions regarding your admission or an update in your portal yet? I haven't gotten either yet

For those accepted this week, have you received an email from admissions regarding your admission or an update in your portal yet? I haven't gotten either yet
Update: Yes, check your portal and there will be instructions to confirm your acceptance!

Last edited:
Has any Canadian applicants received an II from this school yet? Almost 5 months of "forwarded for preliminary review now," which is the longest wait so far lol.

Anyone else having trouble making their MSU ID account? It keeps saying the numbers they told me to set it up with are incorrect

Has any Canadian applicants received an II from this school yet? Almost 5 months of "forwarded for preliminary review now," which is the longest wait so far lol.
Canadian here, in the same boat :(

Reactions: 1 users
Pre-ii R IS LM 72 complete September 29. This one was kinda surprising ngl.

Pre-II R. Canadian. Very disappointed. I don't have stellar undergrad grades, but post-bac 3.8 gpa, >25 publications, 1000's of clinical research and volunteer hours.

For what it's worth, my status changed on Dec 2 like the person below. Not sure if it means anything!
I was initially forwarded to preliminary review on 7/22/2021 ... however I just checked the portal today and now it says forwarded to preliminary review on 12/02/2021 (aka today)... anyone else?

Pre-II R. Canadian. Very disappointed. I don't have stellar undergrad grades, but post-bac 3.8 gpa, >25 publications, 1000's of clinical research and volunteer hours.

For what it's worth, my status changed on Dec 2 like the person below. Not sure if it means anything!
Also just got my pre-II R. Canadian as well. Complete early july

My status also changed on December 2, Canadian but no rejection yet. I wonder if it's just a matter of time.
Crossing my fingers for you that it's just a coincidence!

I was complete 8/28/21 and forwarded for preliminary review, and haven't heard anything since. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm slightly concerned that something may have happened since my status hasn't even changed to a "pre-interview hold," as outlined in their email. IS, 509, 3.88 cGPA, 4th quartile in CASPer, with hundreds of clinical work.

I was complete 8/28/21 and forwarded for preliminary review, and haven't heard anything since. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm slightly concerned that something may have happened since my status hasn't even changed to a "pre-interview hold," as outlined in their email. IS, 509, 3.88 cGPA, 4th quartile in CASPer, with hundreds of clinical work.
Same here. Forwarded for review on 7/24 and silence since. Similar stats to you as well