2021-2022 Dartmouth (Geisel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jokes on them, I just found a typo in another essay they’ll never know about
I would advise against changing your other essays, you never know when their IT department may flag you for cheating!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I would advise against changing your other essays, you never know when their IT department may flag you for cheating!
Okay in all seriousness, what if my diversity essay WAS my additional essay? Am I not allowed to change it?

Reactions: 1 users
Okay in all seriousness, what if my diversity essay WAS my additional essay? Am I not allowed to change it?
I think if you couldn't change the other essays, they would have said that or like shut off the other two questions. Would be ridiculous if you can't change the others. Also did anyone else's submitted date change? Mine now says 7/19 submitted lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you couldn't change the other essays, they would have said that or like shut off the other two questions. Would be ridiculous if you can't change the others. Also did anyone else's submitted date change? Mine now says 7/19 submitted lol
If you're expecting them to be able to handle this in a competent fashion, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Reactions: 1 user
I also used a diversity essay as my additional essay. My diversity essay focused on two components. I kept the additional essay focusing on one component and expanded on it, and I used the other component for the new prompt. Given it is their mistake, I really don't think they can expect people to not have to change things around.

I also used a diversity essay as my additional essay. My diversity essay focused on two components. I kept the additional essay focusing on one component and expanded on it, and I used the other component for the new prompt. Given it is their mistake, I really don't think they can expect people to not have to change things around.
While normally I would agree, before this email I would have said "Given it is their mistake, I don't really think they can expect us to write the third essay" but here we are.

Reactions: 2 users
Email them.

While normally I would agree, before this email I would have said "Given it is their mistake, I don't really think they can expect us to write the third essay" but here we are.
Fair lol. I do think they would have locked the other essays if they did not allow edits. My submission date remained the same at least.

Fair lol. I do think they would have locked the other essays if they did not allow edits. My submission date remained the same at least.
I just don't think they have the IT capabilities to only lock 1 essay. My friend last year had her portal unlocked for one section mistake and all the fields became editable.

Well, just goes to show they don't give a **** and that they are setting us up for abuse in the future. Just read the residency programs that regularly violate the 80 hr work rule.

also, my submission date changed to 7/19.
are you going to email? mine also changed

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't receive anything, resubmitted but a little worried that the previous email posted here was fake.....
Yup, just a gunner trying to sabotage a thousand other applicants. That is PEAK gunning opportunity right there. Throwing this many people under the bus comes but once in a generation. I saw the opportunity and went for it. But now that you have foiled my plan I am weighted with guilt. The actual email said that if you were affected, as repayment they are automatically interviewing everyone submitted before 7/14/2021. It’s a Christmas-In-July-Miracle!!

Edit just to clarify since there are reactions other than laughter: This is sarcasm.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
Yup, just a gunner trying to sabotage a thousand other applicants. That is PEAK gunning opportunity right there. Throwing this many people under the bus comes but once in a generation. I saw the opportunity and went for it. But now that you have foiled my plan I am weighted with guilt. The actual email said that if you were affected, as repayment they are automatically interviewing everyone submitted before 7/14/2021. It’s a Christmas-In-July-Miracle!!
1626734249223.png

Reactions: 7 users
I wrote a "Why Dartmouth" essay for part of my second Q, before realizing it didn't really work and I changed it to something else. Would it be a weird move to upload a Why Dartmouth essay in the document upload?
Yes

So... do they just assume I'm on premed social media? Like, they're correct, but what if they weren't?
You are over thinking it, man. They are not going to cross reference lists of people who submitted and who they submitted emails too. They can’t even double check their own students online activity, why would we matter?

No, I mean that I heard about the resubmission through you all and reddit. But let's assume that I wasn't on either, I would be blind to this and wouldn't know to do anything unless they tell me
Or you checked the portal, didn’t think anything of it and thought you just didn’t submit yet, and pressed submit because you were none the wiser.

devil’s advocate/plausible deniability and all that jazz

And then my application gets launched into the sun and they don't tell me about it until March
No, you are absolutely fine. Either you submit it now, or you wait for an email that may not come. Only submitting will lead to complete

For those who had submission dates change, did you just add the new essay or also edit the others?

Damn you guys already rewrote and submitted? I haven't written the other essay for any other school so I have to prepare one, probably wont resubmit for a day or two.

Damn you guys already rewrote and submitted? I haven't written the other essay for any other school so I have to prepare one, probably wont resubmit for a day or two.
Same, this essay is hard for me for some reason.

Luckily pre-wrote these based on last year's essay prompts and also had a different school ask a similar question, just had to cut some words down

Reactions: 4 users
I haven’t been able but will have one ready tonight. I think Hopkins has it? Idk I have written it beforw

Last edited:
So is the consensus that we edit and submit the new essay even if we have not received an email from the school?

Just want to clarify what everyone else is doing. I haven't gotten an email yet and I don't want to mess with my submission date (7/7) if I haven't received communication from Geisel.

So is the consensus that we edit and submit the new essay even if we have not received an email from the school?

Just want to clarify what everyone else is doing. I haven't gotten an email yet and I don't want to mess with my submission date (7/7) if I haven't received communication from Geisel.
As a reapplicant, last cycle all the emails were not given to everyone at the same time. I got an email other applicants got a day later. Not sure why it does that but go ahead and submit I would say.

I haven't gotten the email, but I resubmitted. My application submission date changed, but my fee date didn't so I am hoping they can go off of that? Not sure. I emailed over the weekend and if I do not receive the email soon I will probably send something again just to confirm exactly what they want / how they're going about all of this but I doubt we'll get much clarity

I have an idea but I'm worried about it not hitting on the social justice aspect of it, so I might need to revamp.
I don't think social justice needs to be present within the story technically. i used a diversity essay and then expanded at the end about why my experiences lead me to seek equity blah blah blah

Just an FYI, I reached out to them about the submit date changing and they confirmed that the complete date did not change on their end:

484FDC22-69C6-4A23-9021-40D0D1BDBE63.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users
This is so frustrating.. removing the third prompt informed what I wrote for the additional comments essay. Now I have to write another essay ugh

I just got an email that my account at Dartmouth was just created again......? Anyone else get this....?

• Haha
Did you apply MSTP to Dartmouth? Just curious
Nah, Dartmouth is MD only for me. Their MD/PhD program is too small/doesn’t have my interests/requires you pay back M1 and M2 tuition and stipend if for whatever reason you drop the PhD. 99% chance I won’t, but that turned me off.

Holy crap some of you guys are so neurotic it’s crazy lol. Stop freaking out over the smallest things!