2022-2023 Dartmouth (Geisel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks runner31 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Dartmouth Geisel Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2022-2023 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, please inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected]. (no word limit)

2. Please reflect on your primary application and share something not addressed elsewhere that would be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file: (no word limit)

3. Please tell us specifically why you are interested in Geisel: (no word limit)

4. Geisel School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Reflect on a situation where you were the “other”. (250 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Last year had a "Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application, and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file." prompt.

Does anyone know if you have to answer it?

Last year had a "Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application, and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file." prompt.

Does anyone know if you have to answer it?
Those prompts are typically optional.

Members don't see this ad :)
@chilly_md

OOS Secondary received.

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2022-2023 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, please inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected]. (no word limit)

2. Please reflect on your primary application and share something not addressed elsewhere that would be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file: (no word limit)

3. Please tell us specifically why you are interested in Geisel: (no word limit)

4. Geisel School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Reflect on a situation where you were the “other”. (250 characters)

Last edited:
@chilly_md

OOS Secondary received.

4. Geisel School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Reflect on a situation where you were the “other”. (250 words)

last prompt is 250 characters, surely a mistake on Dartmouth's behalf

There is no way it is 250 characters right? Every year before it has been 250 words...

Wow last year they forgot to add this same "the other" prompt and added it in later, making people who had already submitted have to submit again.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
@chilly_md any advice on what to do in this situation? Submit a 250 character essay, or wait until they update it?

It seems they updated it to "250 words" but the actual text box will not let me type more than two sentences (about 250 characters)...is anyone else having this problem?

@chilly_md any advice on what to do in this situation? Submit a 250 character essay, or wait until they update it?
I would definitely wait, should be a quick fix
It seems they updated it to "250 words" but the actual text box will not let me type more than two sentences (about 250 characters)...is anyone else having this problem?
Same thing here

Members don't see this ad :)
I recall a similar problem happening at a different school last year. It seems Dartmouth has resolved this one, but if it pops up somewhere else, you can wait a few days. It shouldn’t make a difference.

For inputting classes should I only put the ones I did well in? Like I did a postbacc where I took upper level biology courses and retook the first o-chem all for A's.

So could I use those upper level bio courses as the bio prereqs and the one ochem as the ochem, or do I need to use like the intro bio series that were associated with labs?

Is anyone having trouble paying the fee? I keep getting an error
I am having trouble as well. Were you able to figure it out? I emailed them but its a holiday weekend so I probably won't hear back soon. Will update if I do hear back!

I am having trouble as well. Were you able to figure it out? I emailed them but its a holiday weekend so I probably won't hear back soon. Will update if I do hear back!
I ended up trying it the next morning and it worked. I'm not really sure why though. I'm facing the same issue for a different school as well.

• Wow
I ended up trying it the next morning and it worked. I'm not really sure why though. I'm facing the same issue for a different school as well.
So strange. Seems like there's a lot of server problems this cycle

How fancy are people getting with the first essay (plans for the coming year)? Are you just writing a short blurb on what you're doing? Maybe I'm overthinking it but I feel like I should have more to say...

How long are you guys making the no word limit prompts? So far, mine are only 200-250 words. ik quality > quantity, but I feel like I should be writing way more.

Is anybody still waiting on a secondary?

Reactions: 2 users
How is everyone inputting courses? For department do they mean course code department (like BIOL) with 1101 in course number field?

Is anybody still waiting on a secondary?
Check your "Promotions" tab if you have one. Mine went there last year and I had literally never checked it before and ended up submitting it really late

Can any current students address how regular MD students get involved in research? Like are there any summer research programs or an opportunity to pursue research throughout your four years? Or do you need to be a MD/PhD student? TIA

Reactions: 2 users
Received OOS on 6/24/2022. Not yet submitted. When is the actual deadline for submission. Thank you!
The hard deadline is Dec 1, but it is recommended to submit within two weeks of receiving the secondary.

So… anyone still waiting on a secondary? OOS and still haven’t received. Checked spam, promotions, etc

Can I just say "nothing to add?" There's nothing that hasn't been addressed besides hobbies or maybe COVID disruptions. Diversity and challenge has been covered by essay #4.

Can I just say "nothing to add?" There's nothing that hasn't been addressed besides hobbies or maybe COVID disruptions. Diversity and challenge has been covered by essay #4.
For some, I chose to talk about my hobbies or something I personally am very passionate about (photography, in my case). It was mostly a ramble about what I appreciate about the hobby, but I feel like it gives insight into who I am as a person.

PSA: If anyone had trouble with submitting in the last few days after paying the fee, I just emailed Admissions and they expect to have the problem solved by end of the day today.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a "Publication" option on the document type dropdown menu on the upload documents tab. Should we upload full versions of pubs we listed on our primaries here, or is that overkill?

There is a "Publication" option on the document type dropdown menu on the upload documents tab. Should we upload full versions of pubs we listed on our primaries here, or is that overkill?
that's what I did. Downloaded/uploaded my publication.

part of me is like why would they have this option if they dont want that but another part of me also thinks maybe just for additional papers that have been published since primaries and not all pubs?

I paid application fee and the application portal says that I still have not paid. I received an email from them saying that they received the money but I'm not sure why the portal is updating yet.

Is this a glitch on their end, or do I have to wait for the fee to be processed?

OOS complete early July --> II on 8/3

Extremely excited!

LM: ~70 (non-traditional applicant)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
II OOS received just now! But I can only see one interview date available (August 25th)... does anybody else have this problem?

Reactions: 3 users
II OOS received just now! But I can only see one interview date available (August 25th)... does anybody else have this problem?
Congratulations! When I registered for the interview there was only one August date and one September date!