2020-2021 Dartmouth (Geisel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad.

Kind of a random question, but would you guys consider Dartmouth to be a more liberal medical school (specifically the adcoms)?

Reactions: 1 users
You mean politically liberal ? Or liberal in terms of admission criteria ? Or ?

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean politically liberal ? Or liberal in terms of admission criteria ? Or ?
politically. I'm working on their "other" secondary and wondering what their stance is on most of these kinds of issues

politically. I'm working on their "other" secondary and wondering what their stance is on most of these kinds of issues
I would go with your personal beliefs. You would want to find a good fit for your education and you can't do that if you aren't honest on your applications. Also, med schools do not alter their approach based on 'politics'. I am not sure what you would be saying in an essay that would be extremely controversial. I have yet to see a med school have any stated political leanings at all, they are there to teach medicine.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I have a question for a current student. I am thinking that it will be easier for my SO to find work in Boston. Would I have time to see him on weekends, either here or there?

Last edited:
i should have been clearer - will I be too busy to see him?
is a 4hr drive or long bus/train ride. I have left Boston in the AM for NYC and return the same day but is a killing day. It will be more your SO will have to visit you than the other way around and you will not have much time for it when it does visit. if possible best if SO finds a job in NYC or NJ or LI, that said Boston is difficult but doable. Can the SO find a job in CT?

Reactions: 1 user
is a 4hr drive or long bus/train ride. I have left Boston in the AM for NYC and return the same day but is a killing day. It will be more your SO will have to visit you than the other way around and you will not have much time for it when it does visit. if possible best if SO finds a job in NYC or NJ or LI, that said Boston is difficult but doable. Can the SO find a job in CT?
I think Dartmouth to Boston is about 2 hours. Neither are in NYC

Last edited:
For the "share something about yourself" prompt, would it be inappropriate to discuss how something about yourself makes you believe Geisel is the right school for you? I am now realizing my essay focuses 80% on the programs at Geisel and only like 20% on the "something about yourself", but I do connect the two ideas.

For the "share something about yourself" prompt, would it be inappropriate to discuss how something about yourself makes you believe Geisel is the right school for you? I am now realizing my essay focuses 80% on the programs at Geisel and only like 20% on the "something about yourself", but I do connect the two ideas.
Same situation, wondering the something. Have people used it as a "Why Geisel" prompt?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same situation, wondering the something. Have people used it as a "Why Geisel" prompt?

My interpretation is to tell them something unique about yourself, an interest or hobby. You could definitely tie it to the school in some way but I wouldn't make it a "Why Giesel" essay because it doesn't seem to fit the prompt.

I also interpreted it as a way to share a unique interest or hobby. If you have the space to mention Dartmouth do it, but I didn't

I also interpreted it as a way to share a unique interest or hobby. If you have the space to mention Dartmouth do it, but I didn't
Just commenting to say WOW I'm very impressed by 50 primaries. I have about the same LizzyM and prewriting 35 secondaries has been crazy. How's it going for you?

Just commenting to say WOW I'm very impressed by 50 primaries. I have about the same LizzyM and prewriting 35 secondaries has been crazy. How's it going for you?

Lmao thanks. Might have been a mistake (can't tell yet) because I assume there's a point of diminishing returns when writing secondaries, but yea prewriting sucked. Just finished yesterday!

Secondary received (in my promotions), OOS

Received, OOS. Prompts:

1. Please indicate your plans for the upcoming year. (No indicated word count)
2. Please share something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application that you feel might be helpful to our Admissions committee. (No indicated word count)
3. Geisel School of Medicine values social justice and diversity in all its forms. Reflect on a situation where you were the “other”. (250 words)

There's also a fill-in section for prerequisites, then the $130(!!!) fee, and an optional photo upload.

Reactions: 6 users
With the first two prompts having no word count, would it be better to go into depth or keep it succinct? For example, when talking about gap year activities, do you think they'd prefer for me to talk about lessons learned, how it'll prepare me to be a better doctor, etc. or just describe my current and planned activities?

With the first two prompts having no word count, would it be better to go into depth or keep it succinct? For example, when talking about gap year activities, do you think they'd prefer for me to talk about lessons learned, how it'll prepare me to be a better doctor, etc. or just describe my current and planned activities?

I think it's deliberately left open. Go with your gut.
For reference, my responses are 2555 and 4218 characters, respectively.

How does everyone feel about the tuition and fees for this school?

Anyone thinking of writing about how COVID affected them for the "sharing something not addressed in the primary" question?

would it be weird to add a personal challenge essay for "sharing something not addressed in the application?" otherwise would a "why dartmouth" be better?

would it be weird to add a personal challenge essay for "sharing something not addressed in the application?" otherwise would a "why dartmouth" be better?
As long as you haven't talked about it anywhere else in your application, I think anything is fair game!

I did personal challenge for that one, and I added a little bit about covid changing my plans in the first question.

I only took 4 quarters of hours of Biochemistry which is not technically the semester requirement. Should I bother applying? or maybe just contact the office of admissions to see if they will accept that?

Does anyone know how the prereq requirements list works? How do I see/edit classes once I add them?

For my additional comments essay, I am having trouble deciding between two options: a 400 word challenge essay that I think is one of my more interesting essays and a 200 word positive spin on some of my academic disadvantages. Both make a case to be included. Since the questions is open ended, is it a bad idea to include both, even thought they're not related?

For my additional comments essay, I am having trouble deciding between two options: a 400 word challenge essay that I think is one of my more interesting essays and a 200 word positive spin on some of my academic disadvantages. Both make a case to be included. Since the questions is open ended, is it a bad idea to include both, even thought they're not related?
I feel like the 400 word challenge essay is more interesting - I try not to shed light on a more negative part of my application and rather focus on the good parts unless you really feel the next to explain some of the academic disadvantages and think it will help

If there are any current students lurking, I would appreciate some insight into Dartmouth!

1. Can you expound a bit on the preclinical curriculum? What is the typical weekly schedule like? What is the division between PBL & lecture? How many mandatory sessions / hours are there per week?

2. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals?

3. How is Hanover? What are some misconceptions about it? What are some of the negative aspects about it? How do you deal with the isolation / rurality?

4. What is research like there? More clinical or basic emphasized? Competitive?

Still waiting on a secondary but I also don't have an MCAT score yet

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the secondary? I keep getting this message: " PayPal Error: 1 - User authentication failed" when clicking on "Proceed to Payment."

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else having trouble submitting the secondary? I keep getting this message: " PayPal Error: 1 - User authentication failed" when clicking on "Proceed to Payment."
Me too

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

Does this secondary allow for an optional text box for IAs or allow for updates after submission? To make a long story short, I have pre-written all my secondaries but still waiting for my primary to be reviewed (hopefully in a few more days!), but when I submitted my primary I indicated I had no IAs because what I thought were not violations actually were. After talking to a few admissions departments I have learned my best bet is to 1)email the admissions office and dean of admissions, 2) explain in the optional text box why I did not report it on my primary, and 3)update my application with the details if allowed.

Therefore, does this secondary have an optional text box or allow for resubmission where I would have the opportunity to explain this situation?

There's a "Document Upload" tab. You can submit additional application materials there, but I'd suggest e-mailing Geisel admissions and asking what they'd like you to do.

There's a "Document Upload" tab. You can submit additional application materials there, but I'd suggest e-mailing Geisel admissions and asking what they'd like you to do.
Thank you! I am sending out mass emails tomorrow. Hopefully I can make all my final adjustments by the end of the weekend!

Thank you! I am sending out mass emails tomorrow. Hopefully I can make all my final adjustments by the end of the weekend!

Good luck! I'm sorry you're in this situation and hope you can clear everything up soon.

My mcat date got postponed to mid-august. Does this mean I won’t receive a secondary unless I get my score back in September and its above a 503? My primary is verified.

Still having trouble with payment this morning. I'm going to send an email