2021-2022 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an acceptance call today that said they filled the class, but there is a spot for me when other people's deposit deadlines pass... so I guess a waitlist that moves quickly? I'm happy to know they like me either way, and I like them too. It is one of my top choices. Interviewed 10/15
I'm so confused by this because I got an invite from them 11/10. Why would they send out invites if they're full ?? Also I'm so sorry they said that in the call. I just feel that it's so strange to say you're accepted but the class is full so you have to wait? I'm so confused cuz is that technically not an acceptance??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so confused by this because I got an invite from them 11/10. Why would they send out invites if they're full ?? Also I'm so sorry they said that in the call. I just feel that it's so strange to say you're accepted but the class is full so you have to wait? I'm so confused cuz is that technically not an acceptance??
thats how it works. Basically class is full but everyone who got in wont attend. People will withdraw their acceptance. The deadline to accept the offer and pay the deposit is sometime in December. So all the people who got accepted are waiting to get other acceptances before they make their final choice. So if like 50% of the people take another acceptance and withdraw from ATSOMA then ATSOMA won't have any students left, hence they why they interview and waitlist people.

Reactions: 1 users
thats how it works. Basically class is full but everyone who got in wont attend. People will withdraw their acceptance. The deadline to accept the offer and pay the deposit is sometime in December. So all the people who got accepted are waiting to get other acceptances before they make their final choice. So if like 50% of the people take another acceptance and withdraw from ATSOMA then ATSOMA won't have any students left, hence they why they interview and waitlist people.
Wow ok I never knew that ! Is this a common thing among med schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha
I appreciate you answering my questions, thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Just received a post-II R here. Kinda stings, but gotta move on, haha. Good luck to everyone else! :)

I also got an interview scheduled for Dec 1 but I am kinda bummed about the class being filled. Should I still attend the interview? I am from SO CAL and would want to get a rotation site in CA but I think my odds are slim at this point in the cycle.

Any advice?

Interviewed on Friday. Just wanted to say that my experience was very positive and void of stress. I felt like I was having unforced conversations with everybody that I interacted with.

I also got an interview scheduled for Dec 1 but I am kinda bummed about the class being filled. Should I still attend the interview? I am from SO CAL and would want to get a rotation site in CA but I think my odds are slim at this point in the cycle.

Any advice?
From what I’ve heard, the CA sites are all filled as of right now and if you got in you would have to be on the waitlist for that site. However, after talking to admissions and hearing from people who applied last cycle, they are constantly moving people and admit people as late as June into the class or even a couple weeks before classes start. So I would say you still have a chance! I hope that helps :)

Quick question on rotations.. Does anyone know if the school assists with housing by the assigned CHC? I couldn’t find anything on the website. I wondering if you have to scramble to find a place to live after first year..?

Quick question on rotations.. Does anyone know if the school assists with housing by the assigned CHC? I couldn’t find anything on the website. I wondering if you have to scramble to find a place to live after first year..?
You have to find housing on your own

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! Just wanted to let you all know that I received an email yesterday notifying me that I am an "Alternate" for 2022 summer class.

Ill keep you posted. Good luck everyone! 👍

Hello everyone! Just wanted to let you all know that I received an email yesterday notifying me that I am an "Alternate" for 2022 summer class.

Ill keep you posted. Good luck everyone! 👍
what is an alternate? is that similar to waitlist?

I just had my interview today. It was a really pleasant experience. They are very nice and welcoming.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd assume nearly every DO school does this. They give out a ton of A's early that will just expire when students who early interviewed don't pay the deposit. So it's"full" in a sense that they've given enough A's to fill the class, but admissions staff has an idea of the percent of those kids who will not matriculate, hence why theyre offering A's still even though the class is "full". December will remove a lot of kids from the acceptance pool.

What does the “audit process” mean? I’m trying to complete my checklist but the Admission person said they’ll do an audit later on in the spring.

just got an II here but I will be declining as I already got an A from one of my top choices. Hope it goes to one of y'all. Good Luck!

just got an II here but I will be declining as I already got an A from one of my top choices. Hope it goes to one of y'all. Good Luck!
Stats? complete date?

thanks for declining it btw. I'm sitting at 0II. Hoping it goes to me :'(

Has anyone who interviewed at the ending of October hear back yet?

Any tips/advice for their interview that anyone can give? Super nervous for mine

Had my interview today. SUCH an incredible school and program. Was very impressed by the staff/faculty.

Had my interview today. SUCH an incredible school and program. Was very impressed by the staff/faculty.
I also enjoyed it. One of my more positive interviews. Cool they have the Dean present to talk and answer questions.

Has anyone heard any updated info on the curriculum change? I can't seem to find any information online about it and emailed admissions to no avail.

Has anyone heard any updated info on the curriculum change? I can't seem to find any information online about it and emailed admissions to no avail.
What kind of update do you mean? The OP has included a link in the initial post in this thread with a lot of detail on the PBL if that helps

What kind of update do you mean? The OP has included a link in the initial post in this thread with a lot of detail on the PBL if that helps
The document that was included is from April and was supposed to be implemented this academic year (2021-2022), but to my understanding it was not. So I wanted to see if anything has changed from that proposed curriculum for next academic year (2022-2023). It is also a transcription of a meeting/Q&A so I was wondering if there was any more substantial information that has been put out since. They also named a new dean over the summer so I wasn't sure if that would impact anything. Lastly, during the interview I had, it was still phrased as a proposed, not confirmed, curriculum change.

Have an interview on Dec 10. So basically if I do get accepted. I'm going to get waitlisted.. No fun for my anxiety!

Confused Thinking GIF

When is the last day for the deposits? Is it the same for all DO schools?
Just curious because I'm wondering if after that day, II and WL movement will increase.

Has anyone who interviewed on 10/20 hear back yet? It’s been 6 weeks and I’m getting a little nervous.

Has anyone who interviewed on 10/20 hear back yet? It’s been 6 weeks and I’m getting a little nervous.
This school doesn't do silent rejections. If you haven't heard back that means you're still being considered.

Source? I've heard that a few times but just wanted to make sure it's accurate!
Source = me (current OMS-2) and I've sifted through many past school threads

The admissions staff I spoke with on the phone yesterday said that there is no "ghosting" and that if you have not received a hard rejection email, then you are still under review and being considered. I understand the anxiety of this waiting period... I'm in it right now too. But it is still too early to jump to conclusions about the end result of this cycle.

This school doesn't do silent rejections. If you haven't heard back that means you're still being considered.
Would this be the same for pre II? They emailed me a while back that seemed personal about a particular LoR and I still haven't heard back after it was sorted

The document that was included is from April and was supposed to be implemented this academic year (2021-2022), but to my understanding it was not. So I wanted to see if anything has changed from that proposed curriculum for next academic year (2022-2023). It is also a transcription of a meeting/Q&A so I was wondering if there was any more substantial information that has been put out since. They also named a new dean over the summer so I wasn't sure if that would impact anything. Lastly, during the interview I had, it was still phrased as a proposed, not confirmed, curriculum change.
Does anyone know if this proposed PBL curriculum change has been confirmed for next academic year (2022-2023) or not? This is a VERY big issue that incoming students should be fully aware of. Some students avoid applying to schools that use PBL, so an official announcement or timeline of when to receive confirmation on this issue would be helpful. The fact that there is nothing public or official about this at this point other than rumors and the document at the beginning of this SDN thread is not good.

Does anyone know if this proposed PBL curriculum change has been confirmed for next academic year (2022-2023) or not? This is a VERY big issue that incoming students should be fully aware of. Some students avoid applying to schools that use PBL, so an official announcement or timeline of when to receive confirmation on this issue would be helpful. The fact that there is nothing public or official about this at this point other than rumors and the document at the beginning of this SDN thread is not good.
Yes, they have been confirmed. I know one of the clinical professors and says they have meetings every week to discuss the implementation of the PBL curriculum. They have started to implement it on current students.

Yes, they have been confirmed. I know one of the clinical professors and says they have meetings every week to discuss the implementation of the PBL curriculum. They have started to implement it on current students.
Sorry! my first time using SDN, he also said the curriculum is a bit of a disaster given all the new changes. Not to deter anyone from atsu-soma. He also said that the professors cannot seem to agree on much as they are pushing the implementation of the new PBL curriculum.

What is the con with a PBL curriculum? Is it going to change their clinical presentation model of teaching?

I see a lot of people asking questions that are pretty clearly outlined in the minutes listed at the beginning of this thread. Check it out!

At this stage in the cycle, do people think "accepted pending a spot" is a strong enough position to turn down other acceptance offers, if this is our top choice? From what I am reading it seems like it is, but if anybody thinks contrary I would be interested to hear

Since the class is full, are they going to stop giving out interviews?
I have been complete since early to mid July and hear nothing at all. :/