2022-2023 Midwestern University (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those of you who still use Facebook, there is a fake AZCOM '27 page up. It's the one called "AZCOM Midwestern DO Class of 2027 Accepted Students" and has Mcat Bros & Rajesh Singh as admins.

It's run by that MCAT Bros clown (he dropped out of LECOM and spends his time hawking tutoring services to premeds & harassing people online). So yeah, he's definitely not an AZCOM student or alumnus.

The Discord I set up for you guys (and will be having some more 2026 people join in once our quarter ends) is here: Join the AZCOM Class of 2027 Discord Server!

There is a legitimate Facebook page for housing and such as well, it is here: Midwestern University Glendale AZ Housing, Sublets, & Roommates | Facebook

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
R after interview- just got the decision in the mail today.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone interviewing 3/23? Does anyone know if interviews are just for the waitlist at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!

Is AZCOM a better program than WVSOM?

Define "better" ? I don't know anything about WVSOM.

Personally I think it boils down to if you want to go into anything competitive or not.

If you think you'll probably end up in FM/IM/EM/Peds, I do not think the tuition at AZCOM + COL in Phoenix (it's gone bonkers since COVID) is worth it, if WVSOM is significantly cheaper. If WVSOM is P/F, that's another big plus if you're not trying for a competitive residency.

If you want something competitive and are ok with an insane testing schedule + letter grades & class rank, AZCOM may be the better choice. There were only 3 DO neurosurgery matches this year & we had one of them, along with urology, ENT, ortho, gen surg, derm, gas, DR, IR. There's a lot of on-campus research opportunities and the school, quite frankly, cares a lot about their reputation, so they are happy to help you figure out what you need to do to make yourself (and thus, them) look good.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard back after their interviews in March? I imagine decisions will go out sometime this week / early next but just wondering

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back after their interviews in March? I imagine decisions will go out sometime this week / early next but just wondering
Nothing yet, but we will probably hear back sometime next week

Congrats!

Define "better" ? I don't know anything about WVSOM.

Personally I think it boils down to if you want to go into anything competitive or not.

If you think you'll probably end up in FM/IM/EM/Peds, I do not think the tuition at AZCOM + COL in Phoenix (it's gone bonkers since COVID) is worth it, if WVSOM is significantly cheaper. If WVSOM is P/F, that's another big plus if you're not trying for a competitive residency.

If you want something competitive and are ok with an insane testing schedule + letter grades & class rank, AZCOM may be the better choice. There were only 3 DO neurosurgery matches this year & we had one of them, along with urology, ENT, ortho, gen surg, derm, gas, DR, IR. There's a lot of on-campus research opportunities and the school, quite frankly, cares a lot about their reputation, so they are happy to help you figure out what you need to do to make yourself (and thus, them) look good.
For someone that wants to sub-specialize in something competitive like cardiology and GI from internal medicine, does the med school matter?

For someone that wants to sub-specialize in something competitive like cardiology and GI from internal medicine, does the med school matter?

Homie, I'm an M1, I honestly don't know.

From my massive amounts of time on the internet, I would guess no. Also from logical thought about it, by fellowship time you're a few years removed from med school. At that point they're probably more interested in whether you were a competent resident & did any research pertaining to the fellowship field.

Reactions: 2 users
Homie, I'm an M1, I honestly don't know.

From my massive amounts of time on the internet, I would guess no. Also from logical thought about it, by fellowship time you're a few years removed from med school. At that point they're probably more interested in whether you were a competent resident & did any research pertaining to the fellowship field.
Lol, no worries. I appreciate your insight.

Just got an II off the Pre-II waitlist. They still accepting or just for WL?

• Wow
Just got an II off the Pre-II waitlist. They still accepting or just for WL?
When were you added to the wait list? I talked to one of the counsellor and they said they do interviews through May so hopefully not just for WL

When were you added to the wait list? I talked to one of the counsellor and they said they do interviews through May so hopefully not just for WL
A while back— dating to the prehistoric times of 10/11/22

Could we possibly hear back this week? Interviewed 3/16, still waiting

Recently withdrew from II. Best of luck to the many deserving applicants to get further II.

It all depends on when the Admissions Committee is able to meet regarding your application. I would be patient but you can try calling them to see when they'll meet. Also, check your portal bc it gets updated before you get an email decision.

It all depends on when the Admissions Committee is able to meet regarding your application. I would be patient but you can try calling them to see when they'll meet. Also, check your portal bc it gets updated before you get an email decision.
Definitely makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion, I would check the portal and if there's no update, I will call them soon. It does look like other people haven't heard back on here either.

Interviewed yesterday, and they phrased it as— within the next 1-2 weeks they will meet and review over all the applicants that interviewed from early March up until the end of this week.

Interviewed yesterday, and they phrased it as— within the next 1-2 weeks they will meet and review over all the applicants that interviewed from early March up until the end of this week.
Thanks for the update, appreciate it! Didn’t expect them to take this long lol. Did they say when you would hear from them about the decisions?

Got the A on the portal!!! I’m excited to matriculate here 😄

Reactions: 2 users
Can any student touch on why they chose to go here over CCOM if they had acceptances to both? Is one better than the other? Is the education the same? I am from Downers Grove where CCOM is located and am not sure if I want to stay home or finally try something new.

Interview invite received on 5/4/23. They have interview dates listed until 5/17!

If there are still interview dates until 5/17, when could we see some alternate list movement?? If they keep interviewing it means they still have open spots?

Withdrew my A from here I am rooting for you all

If there are still interview dates until 5/17, when could we see some alternate list movement?? If they keep interviewing it means they still have open spots?

There was a lot of WL movement in late May last year. It seems like they tend to WL a lot of people to begin with since their interview season runs so long, they probably want to see everyone before issuing final decisions.

Also, depends on AMCAS/AACOMAS traffic rules about holding multiple As. AZCOM has a dirt cheap deposit so likely plenty of people pay it just to hold onto a seat. Past the deadline to commit to 1 school you will probably see a lot of WL movement.

My interview is tomorrow, does anyone have any tips?
Just be yourself. The interview at this school was the least stressful thing I've ever done. The interviewers are just there to get to know you and they're very friendly. Practice the typical interview questions (e.g. why medicine, tell me about yourself, etc.)

Any idea on when we will start seeing some WL movement? I feel like the last interview date has passed already

I know someone who interviewed today
Today was the last interview day I believe. I've been watching on here because I have to wait til after the cycle for my decision. I interviewed in jan, the wait is killing me!

Any idea on when we will start seeing some WL movement? I feel like the last interview date has passed already

Still waiting for my decision after a 5/9 interview! I hope that’s coming soon and hope that waitlist movement can happen shortly after for u!