2020-2021 UT Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, does anyone know if they allow AP credits to satisfy pre-reqs? As i was about to submit my secondary, I decided to verify that I had all coursework requirements done. I have English and rhetoric AP credit to fulfill the English requirement, but I can't find anywhere whether they accept it.
MSAR says they accept AP credit, but nothing on the website. I would contact admissions directly if this is particularly concerning for you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, does anyone know if they allow AP credits to satisfy pre-reqs? As i was about to submit my secondary, I decided to verify that I had all coursework requirements done. I have English and rhetoric AP credit to fulfill the English requirement, but I can't find anywhere whether they accept it.

@shuning26 you are good at UTMB with AP English credits.

UTSW is the only TMDSAS school which specifies anything about English AP credits and they say "Case by case basis" so if you are also applying there, ask by email if your AP courses will suffice.

Everyone, MOST TX schools disallow AP credits for the science pre-requisites & possibly math pre-requisites, so be careful there.

Reactions: 2 users
@shuning26 you are good at UTMB with AP English credits.

UTSW is the only TMDSAS school which specifies anything about English AP credits and they say "Case by case basis" so if you are also applying there, ask by email if your AP courses will suffice.

Everyone, MOST TX schools disallow AP credits for the science pre-requisites & possibly math pre-requisites, so be careful there.

I think most school's website say AP credit for the prerequisite will be accepted if it is listed on the official copy of the transcript?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think most school's website say AP credit for the prerequisite will be accepted if it is listed on the official copy of the transcript?
Not true for med school apps, depending on what the school states on its website.
For instance AP bio credits are NOT accepted for prerequisites by Baylor, A&M, Lubbock, or UTSW. You have to take the bio courses in college.
Lubbock and UTSW don't accept AP math or statistics ** UTSW now accepts AP stats IF your college lists it as credit, with a course number, on your transcript.
3 schools won't accept AP Organic chem.

You have to check all the school sites carefully.

Last edited:
I just checked UTSW's admissions website and couldn't find anything about them not accepting AP statistics. Is this a new addition?

I just checked UTSW's admissions website and couldn't find anything about them not accepting AP statistics. Is this a new addition?
you are right, this is a change from last year when they said no AP for math.
This year they said you can use it if your college listed it specifically as a math credit on your transcript:
  • Advanced placement credit is acceptable, if the school granting the credit lists the specific course(s) and number of units granted per course on the official transcript.

Interview invite received!

Reactions: 9 users
Also received an interview this morning via email.

Reactions: 4 users
When were yall complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing for me [yet]. Guessing it’s my lack of non-healthcare-related community service. I sent some hours in an update, but... Hopefully, as the cycle continues, things’ll change.

#PreMedPanic

Last edited:
Nothing for me. Guessing it’s my lack of non-healthcare community service. I sent some hours in an update, but...

It's literally the first day they've sent out interview invites! I wouldn't worry yet lol

Also you've already sent an update??

I attended an institution on the quarter system, so I hadn’t graduated by the time my application was submitted. I updated with awards, etc. from my final term and with my plans for the summer.

Plus, as you can probably surmise, this whole process has me on edge.

Last edited:
For those who receieved II, did yall think that you ace the Casper? I heard UTMB screens that really seriously

For those who receieved II, did yall think that you ace the Casper? I heard UTMB screens that really seriously
I felt good about it but I have no idea if I aced it. I doubt I aced it honestly. CASPer is just one part of the holistic process though, so don't sweat it if you feel it might hinder you!! Besides, there are a TON more invites from UTMB to come so don't sweat it :) Schools have a unique way of reviewing apps that is not always based on submission dates!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and was hoping to receive a lil advice on an email I received from UTMB 12 days after my primary was processed:

"Thank you for submitting your TMDSAS primary application. To date, we have not received your secondary application. Please know that in order for your application to be considered for an interview, we must receive the supplemental application as well as a CASPer score.

Please submit these items as soon as possible so we can move forward with the processing of your application."

I thought it was a bit bizarre considering it hadn't been the full two weeks yet, so I was wondering if anyone else had received this email? I assume that it was an automatic and not personalized message, but should I reply saying that I have now completed the secondary and explain the circumstances (was sick and in process of moving residencies, didn't want to sacrifice quality).

Thanks so much!

I think they have this email set to go out on certain dates because I received this exact same email after receiving my secondary only an hour earlier in the day. So I wouldn’t read into it too much because it’s likely just a random reminder and no one really is recognizing you in particular for not submitting by a certain point. Just submit as soon as you can and it will all work out. :)

Last edited:
I knew I would be fighting an uphill battle with my cGPA (3.65), but it's still a little demoralizing to see IIs go out and not get one. What do you think my chances are if I haven't received an II during this first round?

I knew I would be fighting an uphill battle with my cGPA (3.65), but it's still a little demoralizing to see IIs go out and not get one. What do you think my chances are if I haven't received an II during this first round?
interviews go on through December (probably through January, this year) so it doesn't matter when you interview :)

It's only the beginning of the cycle and the first wave of interview invites. Hold on there mate

At the end of the day, it's not about getting the first interview, or pre-matching on Oct 15th. It's about getting in. Just do the best with what you can do right now (ex. interview prep for when those interview invites will inevitably come), and in addition find some other things to keep yourself busy with. It's going to be a long few months.

And congrats to those who got an II!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
II this morning!!!! OOS applicant.

Just got II!! Did yall get a link to sign up? The email I received only said congratulations for the interview

8/7, Just got an II. Pretty unexpected, since I completed my application on 8/5. LM 75. ORM. TX Born and Raised

II received! App complete 6/25

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
II received, LM 72, IS complete 6/22

Are they sending IIs throughout the day or were they only sent in the morning?

Nothing for me [yet]. Guessing it’s my lack of non-healthcare-related community service. I sent some hours in an update, but... Hopefully, as the cycle continues, things’ll change.

#PreMedPanic

don’t worry, utmb are suckers for 3.9-4.0 GPA regardless of MCAT score above like 507

don’t worry, utmb are suckers for 3.9-4.0 GPA regardless of MCAT score above like 507

There’s an exception to every rule I guess I have a pretty mediocre GPA but a 518 and got the II today

Just received an II. IS, mediocre MCAT but high GPA.

Should you worry if you do not get an interview invite today? My mcat is 512 and GPA is 3.79