2020-2021 UT Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been in contact with admissions. Apparently there was in fact a glitch with all of the applications transmitted on June 1st. They are actively working to resolve this problem with IT.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
ahhh good to know. Sucks we worked so hard to be early and now almost a month behind:(

I have been in contact with admissions. Apparently there was in fact a glitch with all of the applications transmitted on June 1st. They are actively working to resolve this problem with IT.

I was transmitted June 1st received a secondary 6/11 marked complete 6/14

Members don't see this ad :)
You’re not a month behind because most others have delays too.
Yeah, that's true. Guess I mainly meant that we could of been complete a month earlier so its a little upsetting. But I know its insanely early in the cycle so not really stressing or anything.

I don't see the "waiver" tab in the secondary portal they talk about in the email. Is anyone else a FAP applicant?

I don't see the "waiver" tab in the secondary portal they talk about in the email. Is anyone else a FAP applicant?
TMDSAS doesn’t have FAP, but some schools may extend a fee waiver to you for the secondary if you show that You have an AMCAS fee waiver. You would have to ask, each school.
Applicants this year will be saved the considerable expense of traveling to interviews so expense of applying will be much less.

While the secondary doesn't have a question about how Covid-19 has affected us, do you think the 2nd question about hardship is a good place to discuss this?

Members don't see this ad :)
While the secondary doesn't have a question about how Covid-19 has affected us, do you think the 2nd question about hardship is a good place to discuss this?
It’s not a hardship, for you, it’s something all humanity is facing.

Reactions: 1 users
but can't a hardship still be personal as everyone is affected by it differently?
It will come across as whining that you didn’t get to do the stuff you wanted. Unless of course you had a close family member critically ill and had to quit school or work to help out.
I’m not trying to insult you I’m clueing you in.

It will come across as whining that you didn’t get to do the stuff you wanted. Unless of course you had a close family member critically ill and had to quit school or work to help out.
I’m not trying to insult you I’m clueing you in.
Ok, I see what you are saying. My situation is definitely not that severe, but would being unemployed (unable to find jobs) and financially burdened during this time be seen as whining?

Ok, I see what you are saying. My situation is definitely not that severe, but would being unemployed (unable to find jobs) and financially burdened during this time be seen as whining?
Use your own judgement.
My opinion as an experienced counselor (and a plain spoken Texan) is : your application is your chance to highlight your good points and build a picture of a capable person ready to take on the challenges of med school. Trying to say you have it worse than others in the face of layoffs and closures due to COVID-19 does not achieve this goal.

Also, see this past discussion thread: What's the difference between problem and hardship? (UCLA Secondary)

Last edited:
Use your own judgement.
My opinion as an experienced counselor (and a plain spoken Texan) is : your application is your chance to highlight your good points and build a picture of a capable person ready to take on the challenges of med school. Trying to say you have it worse than others in the face of layoffs and closures due to COVID-19 does not achieve this goal.
Would it be OK to talk about a previous hardship (my dad's illness and 2008 recession unemployment + supporting extended fam causing financial burden) or should I just leave this essay alone? Luckily, we have recovered since so it's not a current problem, but the circumstances did have a huge affect on me.
Thank you so much!

Hello! Congrats to everyone thus far! and Good Luck going forward!!
Does any know if UTMB is sending II's to applicants without their MCAT Score? I know some schools are and some aren't. I've completed everything (including a secondary) except my MCAT which is 7/23/2020. I figured I wouldn't get an II until the score is received but I'm just curious.

Hello! Congrats to everyone thus far! and Good Luck going forward!!
Does any know if UTMB is sending II's to applicants without their MCAT Score? I know some schools are and some aren't. I've completed everything (including a secondary) except my MCAT which is 7/23/2020. I figured I wouldn't get an II until the score is received but I'm just curious.
@thenontraditionalpremed Not only will UTMB need an MCAT score before selecting people for interviews, they and Texas Tech Paul Foster have stated they want to review CASPer results before selecting for interviews.
I hope you have both of these in the works!
Also, I know you're new on SDN but it's best not to post exactly the same question on multiple threads.
I invite you to add this to your watched threads and it's a good place for these general questions. *~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2020-2021*~*~*~*

**Edited to add Foster as a school which also wants to see the CASPer results before interview selection

Last edited:
Would it be OK to talk about a previous hardship (my dad's illness and 2008 recession unemployment + supporting extended fam causing financial burden) or should I just leave this essay alone? Luckily, we have recovered since so it's not a current problem, but the circumstances did have a huge affect on me.
Thank you so much!
That was 12 years ago, did it make a lasting effect on your education?

@thenontraditionalpremed Not only will UTMB need an MCAT score before selecting people for interviews, they and Texas Tech Paul Foster have stated they want to review CASPer results before selecting for interviews.
I hope you have both of these in the works!
Also, I know you're new on SDN but it's best not to post exactly the same question on multiple threads.
I invite you to add this to your watched threads and it's a good place for these general questions. *~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2020-2021*~*~*~*

**Edited to add Foster as a school which also wants to see the CASPer results before interview selection
Thank you so much for this info! I have sent my CASPer results already & I'm waiting on my MCAT.
I'm sorry I didn't know that :/ I will definitely read through that thread. Thanks Again!

Is anyone else having a problem with the secondary's payment? I've tried paying with 3 different cards but it keeps saying "an error occurred while processing your card. try again in a little bit"

Hello @wysdoc ! I had a quick question about the 2nd UTMB secondary prompt: If we don't have a personal hardship, should we just acknowledge that and move on? If we have 3 years of experience working with individuals with hardships (illness - and it's a unique experience that most pre-meds wouldn't have), would it be looked at negatively if I bring that up after mentioned that I don't have personal hardships of my own since the prompt is only asking about our personal experience of hardships?

Hello @wysdoc ! I had a quick question about the 2nd UTMB secondary prompt: If we don't have a personal hardship, should we just acknowledge that and move on? If we have 3 years of experience working with individuals with hardships (illness - and it's a unique experience that most pre-meds wouldn't have), would it be looked at negatively if I bring that up after mentioned that I don't have personal hardships of my own since the prompt is only asking about our personal experience of hardships?
@premed_97 yes this is a case where, since they inserted that helpful phrase "if relevant", you can just say "not applicable"or "not relevant" and move on.

@premed_97 yes this is a case where, since they inserted that helpful phrase "if relevant", you can just say "not applicable"or "not relevant" and move on.
Hi! I am also in a similar boat, as I do not have a particular personal hardship. Would it be appropriate to write about my grandfather contracting COVID-19 and the strain it put on my family and me? Or are ADCOMs considering a personal hardship to be an illness I myself have endured?

Hi! I am also in a similar boat, as I do not have a particular personal hardship. Would it be appropriate to write about my grandfather contracting COVID-19 and the strain it put on my family and me? Or are ADCOMs considering a personal hardship to be an illness I myself have endured?
I think COVID-19 is a hardship for us all and not specifically for one. This would be another “not relevant” vote.

Texas Health Education Service has been taping interviews with med school admissions deans, one by one. They call this series "Courage Sessions".

Tune in at 1:00 pm Wednesday July 8 for a live session with the admissions dean of UTMB. https://www.facebook.com/txhes

If you watch it live, you might even be able to type in a question relevant to that school. If you can't watch it then, the sessions are all archived. Find them on Facebook.

EDIT:
These are my takeaways from watching the UTMB Courage Session. I think it's worth watching if you haven't, you get to see the "real deal" admissions deans and know that they are helpful.

1. If you have an upcoming "repeat" MCAT date, they will read your app now then set it aside for a second look when your new score comes in. If you have no MCAT scores yet they will wait to read your app.
2. Your secondaries must also be submitted before eligible for interview.
3. They will not invite you for an interview without seeing your CASPer test. If your CASPer test shows you in an unfavorable light, they may pass you by. Of course no school interviews everyone who applies, but UTMB is using this as one of their screens for interviews.
4. They do not expect all your letters to be in by the time they make interview invites, but must read them by the time they are making admission offer decisions.
5. Interviews will be "remote" and the first interview date is August 19.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Has UTMB started extending interview invites?

Has UTMB started extending interview invites?

On their website, they say they extend IIs to applicants about a month before the interview date those applicants are assigned. I'm not certain if that's held for this cycle. On Reddit, one commenter claimed that UTMB had extended its first IIs more than a week ago, but I haven't seen confirmation of that elsewhere.

They said in the Courage Session a couple weeks ago that interviews will be virtual this year.

I suspect they’ll release the first round of IIs in the coming days and there’ll be more instructions included.

Anyone else's app say "Your application is incomplete"? All my materials were submitted, and LOR were received.

That's weird. Is your CASPer in?
I think so, but I have no idea how to check. On the CASPER website it said complete, and delivered to schools (Took it on 7/7/20). UTSW portal says CASPER scores are "complete" but I still have yet to have an official confirmation anywhere else.

I think so, but I have no idea how to check. On the CASPER website it said complete, and delivered to schools (Took it on 7/7/20). UTSW portal says CASPER scores are "complete" but I still have yet to have an official confirmation anywhere else.
I think you should give it a couple days and see if it changes. They might change it manually? Im not sure. If it doesnt change soon it doesnt hurt to contact them. For me, my portal changed instantly to complete after I completed the secondary and fee. Is your MCAT score in?

I think you should give it a couple days and see if it changes. They might change it manually? Im not sure. If it doesnt change soon it doesnt hurt to contact them. For me, my portal changed instantly to complete after I completed the secondary and fee. Is your MCAT score in?
It is. I think you're right about them having to change it manually. It is possible that they are still in process of receiving my CASPER score even though CASPER delivered it themselves.

yeah, it takes around 3-4 weeks for CASper scores to be delivered to schools.

for the hardship question, it mentions we can discuss educational disadvantage. I'm not sure if my situation would work, as i lived in rural places my entire childhood, so the schools i went to for k-12 were not that great, but i ended up going to a t10 for college. would this work for that situation?

Just got the secondary for UTMB. Transmitted in June. Is this late for this cycle? I have been hearing a lot of different things about this application cycle.

Just got the secondary for UTMB. Transmitted in June. Is this late for this cycle? I have been hearing a lot of different things about this application cycle.

I submitted my secondary a couple days ago and called to ask if it was considered late in the cycle, and I was told that it's still considered early in the cycle with late being closer to October.
However, I'm not sure if now is relatively late compared to the people who submitted way back in May? Following this thread to find out :)

Please apply (even though that makes it harder for me, lol). This is sooo not late!

I submitted my secondary a couple days ago and called to ask if it was considered late in the cycle, and I was told that it's still considered early in the cycle with late being closer to October.
However, I'm not sure if now is relatively late compared to the people who submitted way back in May? Following this thread to find out :)

No one submitted secondaries in May this cycle (other than, perhaps, to A&M). Primaries weren’t transmitted until 1 June, and it took up to another week for secondary invitations from UTMB to arrive.

No one submitted secondaries in May this cycle (other than, perhaps, to A&M). Primaries weren’t transmitted until 1 June, and it took up to another week for secondary invitations from UTMB to arrive.
Oops, I meant for people who were the first to receive the secondary app because they transmitted first :) but I'm glad it's not late atm!

Just making sure, but if it says application complete they probably received my CASPER already right? I took it over a month ago so I'm pretty confident it transferred but there doesn't seem to be a way to check

Just making sure, but if it says application complete they probably received my CASPER already right? I took it over a month ago so I'm pretty confident it transferred but there doesn't seem to be a way to check
Most likely! I would also confirm on your CASPER profile to see if they've sent it to schools.

Hi, does anyone know if they allow AP credits to satisfy pre-reqs? As i was about to submit my secondary, I decided to verify that I had all coursework requirements done. I have English and rhetoric AP credit to fulfill the English requirement, but I can't find anywhere whether they accept it.