2020-2021 UT Houston ( McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are all applicants who didn't match here automatically added to the WL at McGovern? Or do they limit their waitlist?
I was wondering this also^

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like a lot of people got the WL....everyone I know personally who interviewed there was waitlisted, including myself haha

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does McGovern have a “2nd look” type of activity for accepted applicants?

Reactions: 1 user
Would I still need to withdraw from the TMDSAS schools that I ranked lower than the one I matched to or was that done automatically on match day?

Does McGovern have a “2nd look” type of activity for accepted applicants?
Due to ongoing COVID restrictions, we won’t have a large group 2nd look in-person event like we did back in normal times. However, we do have some other options that may be of interest:

1. In the spring/summer, we will be doing some Zoom events where you can chat with an MS1 and ask any question you have about Houston or McGovern.

2. We are putting together a packet with information on apartments, as well as places to eat/drink in the Med Center area.

3. You can try contacting the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs and see if you can arrange a brief individual tour of our facilities. FYI, I don’t know if they are always able to provide this service. But you are free to ask, and the worst that can happen is they will say no. Just be sure to introduce yourself as an incoming/accepted medical student.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone, should we get on the waitlist for UT housing? Is it difficult to get a spot in these apartments? Thanks!

Due to ongoing COVID restrictions, we won’t have a large group 2nd look in-person event like we did back in normal times. However, we do have some other options that may be of interest:

1. In the spring/summer, we will be doing some Zoom events where you can chat with an MS1 and ask any question you have about Houston or McGovern.

2. We are putting together a packet with information on apartments, as well as places to eat/drink in the Med Center area.

3. You can try contacting the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs and see if you can arrange a brief individual tour of our facilities. FYI, I don’t know if they are always able to provide this service. But you are free to ask, and the worst that can happen is they will say no. Just be sure to introduce yourself as an incoming/accepted medical student.
Thank you so much for the info!

Thank you for letting us know! Do you by any chance know when that packet will be released?

I'm not trying to be hopeful, but how soon do you think we'd start hearing about a potential waitlist A from McGovern?
Had a friend last year who got into Long from the waitlist 8 days after match day. n=1, but I think it can happen fairly quickly.

Thank you for letting us know! Do you by any chance know when that packet will be released?
Since I’m not in charge of the welcoming committee, I can’t tell you the exact date when that info will be released. What I can tell you is that we (MS1s) have finished our initial drafts, are working on final reviews/edits, and waiting on the faculty to complete the input they are working on. We are working hard on getting this out to you guys as soon as we can.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody heard back from the MSTP yet or have any idea when MSTP decisions will be released?

So have any OOS gotten an acceptance here yet? I went through this thread and didn't see any OOS that reported an A. Did we all get the WL then?

So have any OOS gotten an acceptance here yet? I went through this thread and didn't see any OOS that reported an A. Did we all get the WL then?
Haven’t heard of any, but then again there’s only 10-ish out of state spots, so it’s a small group of people to hear from

Does anyone know or have an approximate timeline of what happens to OOS applicants? I’ve searched the threads from the last few years and couldn’t find anything for OOS matriculants who did not receive an acceptance pre-match day!

Thank you!

Officially there are 10% spots which translates to 23 or so.

Ya, by law, only 24 OOS applicants can hold onto an acceptance. They can only hand out more as those students drop. In reality, some of those go elsewhere so it ends up being 10-15 a class

I’m basing it off of their previous class profiles
What usually happens is that when enough OOS students dont show up, the seats are handed over to IS WLs. They dont over admit OOS so there is not a pool of OOS admits to account for yield and also automatically roll over to OOS waitlists.

What usually happens is that when enough OOS students dont show up, the seats are handed over to IS WLs. They dont over admit OOS so there is not a pool of OOS admits to account for yield and also automatically roll over to OOS waitlists.

Do they not pull another OOS from the waitlist instead of an IS or does it depend on the applicants themselves? Is the waitlist ranked on the inside?

Maybe it’s a bit early for this but is there a deposit we need to pay yet?

Good info to know! So why do they even have an OOS waitlist?

Good info to know! So why do they even have an OOS waitlist?
I believe they drop this at some point (May 1st or 15th?) and start admitting IS because they know clearly which in state student still does not have an admission when people drop out while they dont always know about OOS students admission choices.

Does anyone know (Current MS1s) how often MS1s go to campus and for what reasons? Like are classes online? In person? I'm basically wondering how often should I expect to drive to campus for in person stuff during the first year. Despite COVID, can we go to class daily?

Does anyone know (Current MS1s) how often MS1s go to campus and for what reasons? Like are classes online? In person? I'm basically wondering how often should I expect to drive to campus for in person stuff during the first year. Despite COVID, can we go to class daily?
I think this year it was mostly virtual, I found some handbook on their website which detailed which things were remote for this past academic year but no clue for this year.

I did notice the checklist said white coat ceremony is during third year? Has McGovern always done it that time?

So has anyone decided if LOIs make an impact on your potential WL acceptance at McGovern?

During the first half of MS1 (Aug-Dec), most stuff will involve logging onto your computer in the comfort of your home. There are two major reasons you will physically have to go to campus: skills sessions and anatomy lab. Skills sessions are hour long events where you learn basic doctoring skills, such as conducting a physical or listening to someone’s heart/lungs. These are held once a month.

Anatomy lab, on the other hand, is twice a week. This where you dissect your assigned portion of a cadaver. You will be assigned an MS2 who will observe and answer questions you may have. So there’s no reason to be nervous if you don’t have previous dissection experience.

During the second half of MS1 (Jan-May), you will be done with anatomy lab, but you will begin your preceptorships, which are once a month. You will also continue your skill sessions. These will involve more advanced doctoring skills (basically picking up from where you left off the previous semester).

That covers it for most of the mandatory on-campus stuff. Of course, you will be on campus more often if you are participating in extracurriculars, such as lab research, clubs, or other activities. Since the students/staff at McGovern are vaccinated, it is easier for us to go to school daily for study sessions/hangouts. However, we are still placing limits on large groups.

Reactions: 2 users
I think this year it was mostly virtual, I found some handbook on their website which detailed which things were remote for this past academic year but no clue for this year.

I did notice the checklist said white coat ceremony is during third year? Has McGovern always done it that time?
McGovern has always done their white coat ceremony in beginning of the third year as far as I know. Y’all have to order your first white coat this summer and then pick it up at the campus book store once school starts. Once y’all get to third year, then everyone will receive new white coats during a special event. McGovern does it this way to celebrate our transition from preclinical to clinical years.

During the first half of MS1 (Aug-Dec), most stuff will involve logging onto your computer in the comfort of your home. There are two major reasons you will physically have to go to campus: skills sessions and anatomy lab. Skills sessions are hour long events where you learn basic doctoring skills, such as conducting a physical or listening to someone’s heart/lungs. These are held once a month.

Anatomy lab, on the other hand, is twice a week. This where you dissect your assigned portion of a cadaver. You will be assigned an MS2 who will observe and answer questions you may have. So there’s no reason to be nervous if you don’t have previous dissection experience.

During the second half of MS1 (Jan-May), you will be done with anatomy lab, but you will begin your preceptorships, which are once a month. You will also continue your skill sessions. These will involve more advanced doctoring skills (basically picking up from where you left off the previous semester).

That covers it for most of the mandatory on-campus stuff. Of course, you will be on campus more often if you are participating in extracurriculars, such as lab research, clubs, or other activities. Since the students/staff at McGovern are vaccinated, it is easier for us to go to school daily for study sessions/hangouts. However, we are still placing limits on large groups.
Thank you for your detailed response!! So helpful :)

Thank you for your detailed response! Seriously, so helpful! So I’m guessing it’s super common for friend groups to meet on campus to study? Is that where the majority of students go in the evenings, the way you’d go to the library in undergrad?

Thank you for your detailed response!! So helpful :)

Thank you for your detailed response! Seriously, so helpful! So I’m guessing it’s super common for friend groups to meet on campus to study? Is that where the majority of students go in the evenings, the way you’d go to the library in undergrad?
Since the school was closed off most of the time during MS1, we mostly hung out in common spaces at our apartment complexes or in outdoor areas. Now that the school is in the process of reopening, it is more common for students to come on campus and study like how it was in pre-COVID times.

Hi Everyone! I also prematched and matched here. Was just wanting to put this out there for any ladies beginning to consider housing. I have a townhouse in EaDo (East Downtown) with my two dogs. It’s less than 15 minutes from the TMC and I’m looking for 1 or 2 roommates. If anyone (preferably female) is interested, shoot me a message and I can share some pictures 🙂

Just to clarify, contrary to my username, I am indeed a female. My dog, Dexter, however is not.

I was prematch. Have not received any emails. Anyone else?
I pre-matched in December and haven't received any communication since then :/ hopefully they'll contact us soon because it's starting to feel like I imagined the whole thing haha

I ranked McGovern #1, although matched to one of my lower ranked schools. In the waitlist email they said letters of interest do not help, but what about letters of intent? I really want to send a letter of intent, although am not sure if it would actually hurt my chances as it could be perceived that I am not following their guidelines. Just confused and need some guidance

I ranked McGovern #1, although matched to one of my lower ranked schools. In the waitlist email they said letters of interest do not help, but what about letters of intent? I really want to send a letter of intent, although am not sure if it would actually hurt my chances as it could be perceived that I am not following their guidelines. Just confused and need some guidance
They said you can feel free, but it won't do anything to move you up on the waitlist.

Don't send it. You already ranked them #1 which is essentially your "LOI". Nothing you say will increase your chances now. Just wait and hope.

Last edited:
They don't but that's not my point.
Nah, see. If the schools don’t see your ranking, ranking them number 1 has nothing to do with your “intent” to enroll because they wouldn’t know anyway. But for a school that isn’t willing to adjust rankings despite LOI submission, I would agree sending one here isn’t useful.

Nah, see. If the schools don’t see your ranking, ranking them number 1 has nothing to do with your “intent” to enroll because they wouldn’t know anyway. But for a school that isn’t willing to adjust rankings despite LOI submission, I would agree sending one here isn’t useful.
Letter of intents in the TMDSAS schools are near useless if not entirely useless in determining anything post Match. The reason is because the TMDSAS match system serves as a modern-day "perfect LOI" system. By ranking a school number one, you are essentially saying you will go to this school over all others if chosen, essentially what a LOI is meant to be, but binding.

For those who ranked McG #1 but didn't get matched, clearly they aren't as high on McG internal rank list as McG is on their own rank list. So regardless of whether a school sees what your ranking is, which it doesn't, the idea of a LOI is obsolete because the Match system already played out that scenario for them.

LOI are useful for schools that might have historically high turnover rates like Georgetown or lots of high tier competitors for students to decide between like Mayo. The TMDSAS schools tend not to be that way, hence why it's not nearly as valuable here. Yield rate is something applicants tend to drastically overestimate as a reason for a school to pick someone with a LOI over someone without one. The only possible reason for someone to send a LOI right now is purely for peace of mind; if it's just to marginally increase chances of getting in, then it's mostly a waste of time and effort.

Letter of intents in the TMDSAS schools are near useless if not entirely useless in determining anything post Match. The reason is because the TMDSAS match system serves as a modern-day "perfect LOI" system. By ranking a school number one, you are essentially saying you will go to this school over all others if chosen, essentially what a LOI is meant to be, but binding.

For those who ranked McG #1 but didn't get matched, clearly they aren't as high on McG internal rank list as McG is on their own rank list. So regardless of whether a school sees what your ranking is, which it doesn't, the idea of a LOI is obsolete because the Match system already played out that scenario for them.

LOI are useful for schools that might have historically high turnover rates like Georgetown or lots of high tier competitors for students to decide between like Mayo. The TMDSAS schools tend not to be that way, hence why it's not nearly as valuable here. Yield rate is something applicants tend to drastically overestimate as a reason for a school to pick someone with a LOI over someone without one. The only possible reason for someone to send a LOI right now is purely for peace of mind; if it's just to marginally increase chances of getting in, then it's mostly a waste of time and effort.
Are update letters with important updates (not just new volunteer hours) useful if the school takes them post-match (ignoring McG in this case)?

Are update letters with important updates (not just new volunteer hours) useful if the school takes them post-match (ignoring McG in this case)?
Depending on how you define important (prestigious well known (not local) award, first author paper, important milestone, etc.), it can potentially have an impact. Most updates however tend not to be of this level so it generally ends up not having any effect. Adcoms (almost certainly) don't suddenly pull up an app every time someone updates it. It may or may not be discussed in the next committee meeting, could possibly be glanced over as what an applicant was lacking to the point where admission wasn't given was not fulfilled in the update.

tldr; potentially with a caveat. Send for peace of mind if you want but unless it's truly important, you'd probably be more productive reading a book or taking a walk.

Depending on how you define important (prestigious well known (not local) award, first author paper, important milestone, etc.), it can potentially have an impact. Most updates however tend not to be of this level so it generally ends up not having any effect. Adcoms (almost certainly) don't suddenly pull up an app every time someone updates it. It may or may not be discussed in the next committee meeting, could possibly be glanced over as what an applicant was lacking to the point where admission wasn't given was not fulfilled in the update.

tldr; potentially with a caveat. Send for peace of mind if you want but unless it's truly important, you'd probably be more productive reading a book or taking a walk.
lol so mid-author papers are useless? yeppppp