2020-2021 Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does ohio state accept ap credit for the pre-reqs? The website just says 1 year requirement, but I can't find any info on if AP credit can count towards the requirement. I already made a mistake of sending a primary without checking with another school lol

Members don't see this ad.

Does ohio state accept ap credit for the pre-reqs? The website just says 1 year requirement, but I can't find any info on if AP credit can count towards the requirement. I already made a mistake of sending a primary without checking with another school lol

I believe they do accept AP credit for pre-requisites as long as they're stated on your college transcript and have the specific course names. I emailed about AP Chemistry in the past and they confirmed it for that. It might be good to email their admissions office with your specific AP credit question, but I think you should be good to go.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone not received an email for their Vitals account after submitting their secondary? Working on ~2 weeks since secondary was in, but no word about creating a Vitals account.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone not received an email for their Vitals account after submitting their secondary? Working on ~2 weeks since secondary was in, but no word about creating a Vitals account.
are you a reapplicant?

I believe we use the same Vitals login as last year then! Ran into a similar issue. When I emailed them about it, they said my Vitals account was already created.

Last edited:
If you indicated you had an MCAT score coming in they should've sent it I believe. I would directly email them for sure though to check with them.

Thanks, yes, I had indicated that I had an MCAT pending. I contacted them today and it seems like my AMCAS is still pending verification there due to the high volume of applications they're getting.

I have a question about the first question on the secondary. When the question refers to medical education, is the question referring to the medical school curriculum or how physicians teach their patients about how they can better take care of their health? Thanks in advance!

Any MD/PhDs on here? On the MD/PhD website, it says you have to submit an additional personal statement for a PhD department and send transcripts both over email, but I haven't received an email about it or heard anything else about this. Did you submit these?

Did you end up getting an email about the personal statement specific to each graduate program we selected? I submitted my secondary yesterday and got the email about submitting official transcripts today, but no mention of that additional personal statement or the current CV that's also mentioned in the MSTP application requirements. Does that come in another email, or is it just not a thing?

Also, I've already forgotten which graduate programs I selected...yeesh. Wish we could go back to review our applications post-submission.

Did you end up getting an email about the personal statement specific to each graduate program we selected? I submitted my secondary yesterday and got the email about submitting official transcripts today, but no mention of that additional personal statement or the current CV that's also mentioned in the MSTP application requirements. Does that come in another email, or is it just not a thing?

Also, I've already forgotten which graduate programs I selected...yeesh. Wish we could go back to review our applications post-submission.
I got another email a few days after the official transcripts email reminding me to submit the personal statement / CV. Honestly didn't know that it was a thing we needed to do till I got that email... They just expect you to email both directly to the MSTP office, so you can do that whenever (even if you haven't already gotten the email reminder).

I got another email a few days after the official transcripts email reminding me to submit the personal statement / CV. Honestly didn't know that it was a thing we needed to do till I got that email... They just expect you to email both directly to the MSTP office, so you can do that whenever (even if you haven't already gotten the email reminder).

Great, thanks for the info! Do you remember if we were able to select more than one graduate program on the secondary? I really played myself here in breezing through that part without realizing I'd have to write something else later on...

You won’t get an email prompting you for the personal statement. You have to do it and send to the MD/PhD Admissions office.

Great, thanks for the info! Do you remember if we were able to select more than one graduate program on the secondary? I really played myself here in breezing through that part without realizing I'd have to write something else later on...

They said try to limit yourself to two because you are required to write a personal statement for each program you select.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only applied for one program so I honestly couldn't tell you fam sorry. Definitely is a shame we can't look at our application after it's submitted.

I have a question about the first question on the secondary. When the question refers to medical education, is the question referring to the medical school curriculum or how physicians teach their patients about how they can better take care of their health? Thanks in advance!

I took it as they were talking about how as a physician, you will educate patients on their path to better health. I applied two years ago, but my guess is the wording of the question is about the same, so I would say go with that!

I took it as they were talking about how as a physician, you will educate patients on their path to better health. I applied two years ago, but my guess is the wording of the question is about the same, so I would say go with that!
That's really helpful!! Thank you so much!!

Reactions: 1 users
Any MSTP applicants get a medical school II without it mentioning MSTP? I haven't submitted my grad school PS yet (I know I know...), but will I be sent a separate grad school II? Or how does this work?

EDIT: I learned how to read, yes it is an MSTP II. But I still haven't submitted my grad PS, and they didn't tell me what to do about it.

Any MSTP applicants get a medical school II without it mentioning MSTP? I haven't submitted my grad school PS yet (I know I know...), but will I be sent a separate grad school II? Or how does this work?

EDIT: I learned how to read, yes it is an MSTP II. But I still haven't submitted my grad PS, and they didn't tell me what to do about it.
The II email I received did not mention anything about MSTP, but when I logged into vitals, the interview notification had MSTP info. Is that the same for you?

The II email I received did not mention anything about MSTP, but when I logged into vitals, the interview notification had MSTP info. Is that the same for you?

Congratulations! Would you guys mind sharing when you submitted? I’ve completed all requirements as of 7/20 and am eagerly awaiting correspondence myself.

Congratulations! Would you guys mind sharing when you submitted? I’ve completed all requirements as of 7/20 and am eagerly awaiting correspondence myself.
Thank you! I submitted the secondary on 7/28. I also submitted my CV and personal statement on 8/11, but I don't believe this is required to get an interview invite as mentioned by another person (I could be wrong). Good luck!

Has anyone successfully rescheduled an interview for OSU? I got my invite today (MSTP) but its for a day I absolutely cannot attend. The email said we had to confirm within 72 hours (7am Mon) or lose the interview. I can't indicate rescheduling on the portal and no one responded to my email or phone calls all day today (well in between work). Should I confirm even though I can't attend the specific date or wait until Monday and risk losing the spot due to miscommunication (leaning this way)?

Has anyone successfully rescheduled an interview for OSU? I got my invite today (MSTP) but its for a day I absolutely cannot attend. The email said we had to confirm within 72 hours (7am Mon) or lose the interview. I can't indicate rescheduling on the portal and no one responded to my email or phone calls all day today (well in between work). Should I confirm even though I can't attend the specific date or wait until Monday and risk losing the spot due to miscommunication (leaning this way)?
Hey I'm in the same boat as you (MSTP applicant with what I'm pretty sure is the exact same conflict ;) ). I also tried sending an email and calling a few times with no luck. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way, as you definitely made them aware of the issue through email/voicemail. Hopefully they get back to us soon!

Last edited:
  • Love
Hey I'm in the same boat as you (MSTP applicant with what I'm pretty sure is the exact same conflict). I also tried sending an email and calling a few times with no luck. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way, as you definitely made them aware of the issue through email/voicemail. Hopefully they get back to us soon!

Thanks! I felt weird about not confirming but the truth is that I can't attend that day and I don't really think they'll rescind the invites entirely just because of it. I think all I was looking for was solidarity because there's really no right answer. It's nice to know I'm not the only one in a similar boat! I'll probably be seeing you on the (virtual) interview trail!

Last edited:
  • Care
Hi guys, I scheduled my interview for OSU today, however I later received another interview and the two dates overlap. I was wondering how I should approach this situation. Should I call Ohio State and ask for reschedule? Thanks!

Hi guys, I scheduled my interview for OSU today, however I later received another interview and the two dates overlap. I was wondering how I should approach this situation. Should I call Ohio State and ask for reschedule? Thanks!

Personally, I've been asking the second school that invites for a given date to reschedule. I just politely say that I am thrilled to interview but unfortunately have a conflicting commitment and ask to reschedule (but basically before it's even scheduled).

seems like they are sending out MSTP II first? Also what am I supposed to see on vitals?

Reactions: 2 users
MSTP II baby! also in the same rescheduling boat as @scineurd and @Snaketail ??????

I'm also really confused about the requirements for the grad school portion...my portal just said the autobiographical statement, recs, and transcript, but then that email gave as examples the CV and personal statement and stuff...even though they're not on my portal as required documents...still didn't get a response about this but I don't want to mess anything up lol

MSTP II baby! also in the same rescheduling boat as @scineurd and @Snaketail ??????

I'm also really confused about the requirements for the grad school portion...my portal just said the autobiographical statement, recs, and transcript, but then that email gave as examples the CV and personal statement and stuff...even though they're not on my portal as required documents...still didn't get a response about this but I don't want to mess anything up lol

I did send in a CV, and assumed that the grad school personal statement is the same thing as the autobiographical statement. Thinking back, not sure they even replied to it, but doesn’t hurt to send in the CV!

I did send in a CV, and assumed that the grad school personal statement is the same thing as the autobiographical statement. Thinking back, not sure they even replied to it, but doesn’t hurt to send in the CV!

Yeah given it's already there on my comp, you're right...thanks @Snaketail <3

When I submitted my secondary, the site crashed on me. I got a confirmation email of my payment, but when I go to my portal, my app is still there under "In-Progress Applications" and I can still edit it and resubmit/repay if I wanted to. I'm not going to resubmit/repay, but I'm wondering if my application is actually submitted. Did this happen to anyone else??

When I submitted my secondary, the site crashed on me. I got a confirmation email of my payment, but when I go to my portal, my app is still there under "In-Progress Applications" and I can still edit it and resubmit/repay if I wanted to. I'm not going to resubmit/repay, but I'm wondering if my application is actually submitted. Did this happen to anyone else??

I haven't had this happen, but it does sound like a technical glitch might have prevented your application from going through correctly. I would email the admissions office explaining your situation to see if they can investigate and resolve it for you.

I submitted my transcripts, CV, and grad personal statement (same as autobiographical in my mind). I'm planning on confirming they have been received in the next few weeks.

I submitted my transcripts, CV, and grad personal statement (same as autobiographical in my mind). I'm planning on confirming they have been received in the next few weeks.

Thankies @scineurd <3

Would anyone be willing to share their angle on the contribution essay? It's the only essay I have left at all, and I've hit a mental roadblock as to how to even answer it... I've written down some blurbs along the lines of "my previous experiences researching X at Y have given me skills that I can use to research Z at OSUCOM" but it just sounds so ridiculously flat. Any tips/advice will be highly appreciated!

Would anyone be willing to share their angle on the contribution essay? It's the only essay I have left at all, and I've hit a mental roadblock as to how to even answer it... I've written down some blurbs along the lines of "my previous experiences researching X at Y have given me skills that I can use to research Z at OSUCOM" but it just sounds so ridiculously flat. Any tips/advice will be highly appreciated!
I would tell a story from one of your research experiences and relate that story to how you would contribute to research in med school and your career. You want the story to show qualities in you that would translate to helping with research or the other categories down the line.

• Care
I would tell a story from one of your research experiences and relate that story to how you would contribute to research in med school and your career. You want the story to show qualities in you that would translate to helping with research or the other categories down the line.
^^I'm loving this thread of Spongebob pictures, just fyi.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Thanks Patrick, I knew I could count on you <3

• Care
For those who have had their interviews, MD or otherwise, how was the day and the environment? What was the best thing you did to prepare?

For those who have had their interviews, MD or otherwise, how was the day and the environment? What was the best thing you did to prepare?

I thought the day was nice. The Dean of Admissions is really warm and welcoming. I did start to feel a bit of Zoom fatigue toward the end of the student session, but that’s not anything specific to OSU. The actual interviews were super conversational. Besides a few standard questions they ask, I felt like they just want to get to know you and your experiences.

I think the best thing I did to prepare was know my app really well, check out the SDN interview feedback page, and just practice a few common questions. The best advice is to be yourself. I found the interviews to be really laid back and friendly.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I thought the day was nice. The Dean of Admissions is really warm and welcoming. I did start to feel a bit of Zoom fatigue toward the end of the student session, but that’s not anything specific to OSU. The actual interviews were super conversational. Besides a few standard questions they ask, I felt like they just want to get to know you and your experiences.

I think the best thing I did to prepare was know my app really well, check out the SDN interview feedback page, and just practice a few common questions. The best advice is to be yourself. I found the interviews to be really laid back and friendly.

I can second everything said here! Also, I am a second year medical student at OSUCOM, so if anyone has specific questions about interview day or what to expect feel free to PM me or tag me in this thread!

woke up to an II! complete 8/1

Reactions: 8 users
@Snaketail @scineurd @jjame

Hello fellow MSTP applicants (& any others in this thread that I may have missed!)

I have two questions I was hoping you could answer for me:

I received an email this morning asking me to indicate if I am interested in the MD-only program or PhD-only program if I am rejected from MSTP. Did you all receive this today as well?

The email also said that my transcripts must be submitted before an interview offer can be considered. Did you all send your transcripts before or after your II?

Thank you!

Reactions: 2 users

Hello fellow MSTP applicants (& any others in this thread that I may have missed!)

I received an email this morning asking me to indicate if I am interested in the MD-only program or PhD-only program if I am rejected from MSTP. Did you all receive this today as well?

The email also said that my transcripts must be submitted before an interview offer can be considered. Did you all send your transcripts before or after your II?

Thank you!

Yep I received that back in early August, I think it’s a way of saying “We have/reached your file now and need some extra info kthxbai fishberry”.

And yep I sent my transcript before the II.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users

Thank you!
I received that email regarding program selection about a month ago. Also, I submitted my transcript at the same time as my secondary (7/16). I have not gotten an II, so all done well before it. I’d say the sooner the better.

• Care