2020-2021 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are they still sending II's here?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally received financial aid package via email!

Reactions: 4 users
They are? I think the website says they interview through April?

The last interview date was Mar 22nd. They’ve always had April on the website and in several years they stopped last week in March so not sure why it still says that

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Does anyone accepted know when we get our Canelink to pay our deposit? It says in our acceptance letter it needs to be paid by May 15th?

Members don't see this ad :)
nope wish I could have that info for ya'll. I know for my cycle they had a good amount of waitlist movement and I know many people in the class who had interviewed in March (they used to have pictures of our interview days up on a wall). But last cycle they didn't really have that much waitlist movement at least on SDN. Things haven't been that different for admissions this year so I wouldn't expect way too much movement. From peoples posts on here seems like they've given a similar amount of acceptances as past cycles and I know that they interviewed the same amount as well
Why do you think there wont be much movement despite COVID this year? Because theyve been matching very well? I saw on AAMC they took off like 80 people of the 300 person waitlist last year which seems like more than a lot of other schools but maybe less than usual for them?

Why do you think there wont be much movement despite COVID this year? Because theyve been matching very well? I saw on AAMC they took off like 80 people of the 300 person waitlist last year which seems like more than a lot of other schools but maybe less than usual for them?

Miami has a different way of accepting in which they give you a numeric metric and the top XYZ% of applicants they discuss on a particular meeting get accepted. Everyone else gets put back in the “WL” pile and discussed next meeting where you can either maintain your ranking, go up, go down, etc. So while some people get “WL’d” they might get accepted in the next meeting in two weeks. I’m not sure if this is why MSAR might report that big waitlist number as to my knowledge only one person in last years class got off the waitlist in a traditional sense (after CTE)

The list of accepted student # seems to be similar to previous years so I’m not too sure it’ll be different this year

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Miami has a different way of accepting in which they give you a numeric metric and the top XYZ% of applicants they discuss on a particular meeting get accepted. Everyone else gets put back in the “WL” pile and discussed next meeting where you can either maintain your ranking, go up, go down, etc. So while some people get “WL’d” they might get accepted in the next meeting in two weeks. I’m not sure if this is why MSAR might report that big WL number as to my knowledge only one person in last years class got off the waitlist in a traditional sense (after CTE)

The list of accepted student # seems to be similar to previous years so I’m not too sure it’ll be different this year
If you look at last year's SDN there were a decent amount of people taken off the actual waitlist in April after being placed on the alternate list. So I am a little confused where you got that information that only one person gotten off the waitlist in last year's class

If you look at last year's SDN there were a decent amount of people taken off the actual waitlist in April after being placed on the alternate list. So I am a little confused where you got that information that only one person gotten off the waitlist in last year's class
Yeah my friend that went there said a ton of her classmates were off the waitlist. But I think this person meant after the commit to enroll deadline, which isn't until pretty late

Heard it from several classmates that were talking about the WL movement after CTE.

I also recall the accepted student page before and after CTE not changing much even with the people that dropped their acceptances after since Miami gave more acceptances than they expected ppl to hold last year.

This is all anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt

Heard it from several classmates that were talking about the WL movement after CTE.

I also recall the accepted student page before and after CTE not changing much even with the people that dropped their acceptances after since Miami gave more acceptances than they expected ppl to hold last year.

This is all anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt
Oh got it - missed the part about the CTE deadline. So maybe the movement was all before

Yep; pre-CTE there was definitely a lot of WL movement due to how they give out acceptances.

I myself was WL the first meeting after my II and then the one after they gave me my acceptance.

Usually if you email Dean Weissman he gives you an idea of what its looking like; usually better after CTE so he has an idea of how many people held their As

Reactions: 4 users
Yep; pre-CTE there was definitely a lot of WL movement due to how they give out acceptances.

I myself was WL the first meeting after my II and then the one after they gave me my acceptance.

Usually if you email Dean Weissman he gives you an idea of what its looking like; usually better after CTE so he has an idea of how many people held their As
80 at first seemed like an insane number of alternate list offers but considering that lots of people get off the alternate list during the regular cycle it makes a lot more sense. Ill second the fact that you can email Weisman about your spot. Ive advised lots of people to do it like a letter of intent type of thing and then to ask somewhere in there the chances of getting off. A lot of the time he'll be honest and say something like we think there's a good chance of you getting off the waitlist or something like you should explore other options at other schools etc

Reactions: 2 users
what the heck are jelly beans and easter egg hunts lol
Lmao SDN did something weird where it replaced certain words 😂. Purgatory is alt list, jelly beans is FA, and Easter egg hunt is II

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
so if we havent heard back, when do you think the next day to hear back is? i interviewed and my portal says i have yet to be reviewed. thank u!!

Anyone know if second look sessions will be recorded/ able for us to access at another time or date if we are unable to attend on the actual day?

Has anybdy had any luck negotiating scholrship packages with Miami based off offers from other schools?

To those of you who never got scored, any of you going to dispute the fee for the secondary on your cards?

When is the CTE date at UMiami? We need to withdraw from waitlists by then right?

To those of you who never got scored, any of you going to dispute the fee for the secondary on your cards?
just because they didn't score your app doesn't mean that they didn't look at it at all. it just means that you likely didn't have enough points to keep moving along the process and be put on the list for interview offers. Only reason you wouldn't be looked at could be you didn't meet the mcat cutoff of 503. if you met that benchmark then its just you dint score enough points for whatever reason

If we have heard radio silence from here since submitting the secondary and all it says on the app status is "currently under review by the admissions committee" should we assume silent R?

If we have heard radio silence from here since submitting the secondary and all it says on the app status is "currently under review by the admissions committee" should we assume silent R?
Yes unfortunately. You should get the formal R in April or maybe May

Did anyone else who interviewed in March have their status change from “you should hear back in 4-6 weeks” to “contact the admissions office if you don’t receive a phone call/email within 7 days”??
I did

how long do they take to notify after that message
I would assume they are probably releasing more decisions this week - mine took a few days after receiving that message. Also, has anyone successfully asked Dean Weisman their chances of getting off the alternate list?

Reactions: 3 users
I also just received that message yesterday. Are there even spots left, and if so, what day would that decision be made?

Do we have to write the essay to be considered for need based aid? Any rough idea of what income level is the cut off for need based aid consideration? I have no point of reference for what medical schools consider "in-need."

Do we have to write the essay to be considered for need based aid? Any rough idea of what income level is the cut off for need based aid consideration? I have no point of reference for what medical schools consider "in-need."
I think you have to go by the poverty guidelines for your family size

I think you have to go by the poverty guidelines for your family size
Ah gotcha. I had heard that the bar is a bit lower for aid at some med schools since the median family income of matriculants is like 200k, but I wasn't sure about Miami.

WL email just now...smh this one hurts since it's my top choice. I think it's just so late in the cycle that there's no spots left. Last I checked the FB group already has 217 members.

• Care
WL email just now...smh this one hurts since it's my top choice. I think it's just so late in the cycle that there's no spots left. Last I checked the FB group already has 217 members.
Ugh it says plus 8 members in the last week - did people get off the WL in the last week?

Ugh it says plus 8 members in the last week - did people get off the WL in the last week?
Now it says 242 members. Yesterday when I checked it said 217. So maybe there were some pending requests to join that just took a while for them to accept? I’m not sure if they called 25 people off the WL in the last week.

• Wow