2020-2021 Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys get an update email when you were placed on hold?

I know, I just wanted to ask because if I ended up at Drexel, my partner would almost certainly work in Philadelphia -- so wondering what a commute would look like from one city to the other, or if we'd likely end up somewhere in the middle. If it was just me, I wouldn't care.
Reading’s first class is the class of 2025. Either way, how it worked for us, if we wanted to be at Reading for clerkships, we entered the lottery for it. If you get in, you’d be in Philly for the first and second years. Clinical years are more up in the air but that isn’t new.

I interviewed at Reading and they had a resident there that lived halfway between Reading and Philly as her husband was a resident in a Philly hospital.

Edit: I now realize that those you applying are applying for the class of 2025 hahaha
Either way, im assuming people that want to be at Reading, will be. Their hospital is amazing with so much opportunity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

The link above is from Drexel and explains a good amount of what went down

Of course there may be bias when talking about impact since it’s coming directly from Drexel
Thanks for this, the bias is one of the reasons I'd like to hear from people who are enrolled

Below is the list of current clerkship sites for students. In my opinion, the biggest impact to HUH closing is that more people cant rotate directly in Philly. Many of these places are in the suburbs and not a long drive. Almost all have residents at them as well.
4FD07E67-697F-458A-B745-C162EBBF1980.png

Reactions: 1 users
I heard that Drexel's teaching hospital shut down, can someone who currently enrolled there explain what is going on?

I heard all of the residence were fired.
Drexel currently has two residency programs

I know a 4th year at Drexel who expressed similar opinions about admin. Strongly recommended going elsewhere if the option presented itself
Drexel mishandled a lottt of things and was less than transparent about a lot of stuff too. However, I still got a good education and felt more prepared to start residency than i thought i would.

I also did no rotations at HUH and didnt impact me at all.

Reactions: 4 users
Drexel mishandled a lottt of things and was less than transparent about a lot of stuff too. However, I still got a good education and felt more prepared to start residency than i thought i would.

I also did no rotations at HUH and didnt impact me at all.

Did you enjoy your class mates? Did you feel like the administration was there for you? I know you got a new Dean last year, has that made things better?

Did you enjoy your class mates? Did you feel like the administration was there for you? I know you got a new Dean last year, has that made things better?
No, everything was basically the same. I loved Dr Schindlow though. We were sad when he said he was retiring.

Did i enjoy my classmates? No. Not really. I never really fit in with my classmates so the first two years kinda sucked lol i am a few years older, and one of the few who was married.

As for me, the administration was there when I needed them to be. I had a lot of struggles especially my first two years for one reason or another, and the one student affairs dean knew the whole story and was there to listen.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reading’s first class is the class of 2025. Either way, how it worked for us, if we wanted to be at Reading for clerkships, we entered the lottery for it. If you get in, you’d be in Philly for the first and second years. Clinical years are more up in the air but that isn’t new.

I interviewed at Reading and they had a resident there that lived halfway between Reading and Philly as her husband was a resident in a Philly hospital.
Thanks for fielding our questions here. It's nice to have a student so invested in helping us get a fair read on life at Drexel.

Thanks for fielding our questions here. It's nice to have a student so invested in helping us get a fair read on life at Drexel.
No problem! Ive been fielding questions for the past three years. I just graduated but can still give some answers haha

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Pre-II Hold email for me today. Complete 8/2. Stats - 3.67/3.57 and 512. IS which makes this scary. Was feeling pretty good about my secondaries until this came in, let the anxiety begin :(

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Just got the "hold" email. 514, 3.98, in-state

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Where on the status page does it say that you're on hold?

Does anyone know when they’re going to begin sending IIs. I was complete on 7/18 and I haven’t received an notifications from them. No hold or Invite

Reactions: 4 users
Where on the status page does it say that you're on hold?
people have been receiving emails which are posted in communication status on left side of portal. Curious for everyone but what does your portal say under status. Mine still says ready and wondering if anyone has it as "under review"

edit to add: a hold means that they want to get a feel for what else is out there and they'll come back to review your application at a later date. For some schools like GW, they take people off hold for interviews later but according to reddit, a hold at Drexel is mostly seen as a soft R(with only few if any people getting off holds for an II)

people have been receiving emails which are posted in communication status on left side of portal. Curious for everyone but what does your portal say under status. Mine still says ready and wondering if anyone has it as "under review"

edit to add: a hold means that they want to get a feel for what else is out there and they'll come back to review your application at a later date. For some schools like GW, they take people off hold for interviews later but according to reddit, a hold at Drexel is mostly seen as a soft R(with only few if any people getting off holds for an II)

The last message in my portal says my application is complete.

Does anyone know when they’re going to begin sending IIs. I was complete on 7/18 and I haven’t received an notifications from them. No hold or Invite

This whole process seems bizarre to me. I haven't seen any Rs or IIs in the thread at all. Only holds.

Last edited:
This whole process seems bizarre to me. I haven't seen any R's or II"s in the thread at all. Only holds.
Yeah, AFAIK Drexel does send some people rejections, but they also have a history of putting people on hold and just never contacting them, which is frustrating

The last message in my portal says my application is complete.
I’m also still “complete” since submitting 7/27. I’m not going to worry about it too much. When they notify us, they’ll notify us.

Just got the "hold" email. 514, 3.98, in-state

Wow, I would have figured this would be a pretty good bet for an II, being IS with those stats considering Drexel's stat lines... maybe COVID is playing a part in this? Doesn't seem like any IIs have been sent yet which makes this a bit more odd.

Wow, I would have figured this would be a pretty good bet for an II, being IS with those stats considering Drexel's stat lines... maybe COVID is playing a part in this? Doesn't seem like any IIs have been sent yet which makes this a bit more odd.
I agree, but stats aren’t everything!

Reactions: 1 users
I agree, but stats aren’t everything!
Yeah, I know people like to look at stats and make predictions but Drexel is a low yield school. There’s definitely going to be less of an obvious “pattern” when they’re looking at everything holistically.

Also my stats are 3.4 cGPA 507 lol so yes I guess stats aren't everything