2020-2021 Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Basically means they have decided not to offer an II yet but not reject you yet. They want to compare you more to the rest of the pool of applicants before making a decision
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh **** that means they’ve started reviewing completed apps

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused by "If you took time off that was outside of the normal breaks, where normal breaks include summer break, please answer yes and use the drop down box to explain. Do not use this box to explain activities after college." If taking gap years, we check yes? But can't talk about activities? Or is this just if you took a break in between school...

Did you ask about this? I took it as "say yes if you took any gap years, but don't talk about what you did during those gap years"

I also am under the "hold" status! Was complete on 7/16.
Me, sitting here with my 7/17 complete date
1595518591071.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
"What else do you feel is important for us to know about you? You can use this space to highlight something not addressed in your application, including new experiences not in your AMCAS application. You can also talk about how COVID -19 impacted you..."

Is anyone using Prompt #2 (above) for anything besides explaining COVID-19 impact and/or new experiences (i.e. diversity or 'why this school' essay)? Even though the prompt kinda sounds like an 'anything else' essay, I got the impression it was aiming for one or the other (new experiences and/or COVID impact)... Is that just me? I ask because I'm on a gap year and already talked about what activities I've been doing or am planning on doing in Prompt #1, so I don't want to be redundant. Also, I wasn't significantly impacted by COVID (fortunately), so I guess I'd prefer to use the space for something else.

"What else do you feel is important for us to know about you? You can use this space to highlight something not addressed in your application, including new experiences not in your AMCAS application. You can also talk about how COVID -19 impacted you..."

Is anyone using Prompt #2 (above) for anything besides explaining COVID-19 impact and/or new experiences (i.e. diversity or 'why this school' essay)? Even though the prompt kinda sounds like an 'anything else' essay, I got the impression it was aiming for one or the other (new experiences and/or COVID impact)... Is that just me? I ask because I'm on a gap year and already talked about what activities I've been doing or am planning on doing in Prompt #1, so I don't want to be redundant. Also, I wasn't significantly impacted by COVID (fortunately), so I guess I'd prefer to use the space for something else.
I used it as a diversity+ why this school essay thought it was better than leaving it blank

So when I check the "status" tab on my secondary portal, it's giving me dates for the 2020 entering class (last cycle) "2020 applicants may check their application status on this page" and "starting March 20, 2020 decisions will be delivered on a weekly basis" etc

Anyone else have this? I am not a re-applicant and was complete 7/17

So when I check the "status" tab on my secondary portal, it's giving me dates for the 2020 entering class (last cycle) "2020 applicants may check their application status on this page" and "starting March 20, 2020 decisions will be delivered on a weekly basis" etc

Anyone else have this? I am not a re-applicant and was complete 7/17
I think everyone has that because I’m not a re-applicant and already submitted too

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious to hear what people think about how I chose to answer my essays.

For the first essay, I decided to discuss briefly what I did last year (my first gap year), what I have been doing this summer (working to support my community during the pandemic), and finished with future plans. I preferred to talk about COVID in the first essay, because it fits into what I have been doing...

The second essay I used as a diversity essay.

Do I have the wrong idea, or is this alright? I feel like I'm technically answering their questions, which are pretty open ended..

I am curious to hear what people think about how I chose to answer my essays.

For the first essay, I decided to discuss briefly what I did last year (my first gap year), what I have been doing this summer (working to support my community during the pandemic), and finished with future plans. I preferred to talk about COVID in the first essay, because it fits into what I have been doing...

The second essay I used as a diversity essay.

Do I have the wrong idea, or is this alright? I feel like I'm technically answering their questions, which are pretty open ended..
I'm not a big fan of unsolicited diversity or why us essays (they seem forced), nor are SDN adcoms, but I don't know if you'd get the criticized for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
App was verified 5 minutes ago! Secondary received, OOS

I'm not a big fan of unsolicited diversity or why us essays (they seem forced), nor are SDN adcoms, but I don't know if you'd get the criticized for it.

They provide additional information about me, though.

They provide additional information about me, though.
I think if you have something of value to add, it can 100% improve your application to include the information. I could see it being forced if the essay is not substantial. For example, if you don't really want to go to the school and write a generic "Why Us?" it would likely reflect poorly. But if you have a lot to say, or information (especially about diversity), certainly feel free to share it.

Do you think just listing everything we've been doing resume style would be fine? Should we describe each activity?
When i applied i just wrote a general description of my plans. Your activities section covers this well.

Would the "What else do you feel is important for us to know about you?" prompt, would it be wrong to do a fluctuating grades essay? I never had an interruption due to family emergency or matter like that, but I failed a course in my first semester and feel that I need to explain what happened and talk about what I did moving forward.

Any current or incoming Drexel med students who might be on here want to give some input on how closing of Hahnemann University Hospital has affected you and Drexel COM in general? Is it all just a mess? Is it worth applying?

As a rising M2 it hasn’t affected me at all and I love Drexel but I hear clinical years is a bit of a mess as far as picking sites to rotate at, i guess i will see for myself this fall when we start picking

Reactions: 1 users
Was also put on hold. Last year there were a number of people who were put on hold who received interviews later, so we'll see, I suppose.

Was also put on hold. Last year there were a number of people who were put on hold who received interviews later, so we'll see, I suppose.
Where exactly does that show up? I assume there’s a message on the status page or did you get an email about it?

Where exactly does that show up? I assume there’s a message on the status page or did you get an email about it?
It'll be an email. Your "ready" status in the portal probably won't change, but there will be a note of it in the communications section

Does anyone know if in past years do people just go from complete to an II or is there a status change in the middle like "under review"?

Do you think it's appropriate to use all of the second question to explain why Drexel is a good fit and how my activities align with their ideals/opportunities?
OOS, Average Stats

I was put on "hold" today :/ complete 7/26. i was surprised that was extremely fast

I was put on "hold" today :/ complete 7/26. i was surprised that was extremely fast
I was complete early on the 17th and haven’t heard anything. I wonder if I’ve escaped the wave of holds or if they just haven’t gotten to my app yet

Reactions: 3 users
complete 7/21, nothing in my email or portal. i love the anxiety that comes with the uncertainty of this process :)

I submitted my secondary 7/16. Haven't gotten any emails yet and my status is still "Ready" for review... v nervous

I submitted my secondary 7/16. Haven't gotten any emails yet and my status is still "Ready" for review... v nervous
same! hopefully we've escaped the wave of holds (though more likely they just haven't gotten to us yet).

same! hopefully we've escaped the wave of holds (though more likely they just haven't gotten to us yet).
hey! if y'all were submitted/complete that early, then wouldn't they have looked at your apps by now, since all these other people that were complete 7/26 are getting responses already?

hey! if y'all were submitted/complete that early, then wouldn't they have looked at your apps by now, since all these other people that were complete 7/26 are getting responses already?
You would hope that but we don’t know for sure that they go in a chronological order. They could place different priorities for different apps.

Reactions: 2 users
they might have reviewed our apps but maybe not put them on hold? idk if not getting a "hold" status means that you've been placed in another pile or not. I guess we'll have to wait and see when they send out their first II. Until then I'll be anxiously waiting

Similar position! I was complete 7/17.

As another person noted, they may stratify by stats, URM status, etc. so who knows if this means anything.

According to last year's thread, the holds come out relatively random so the admissions committees most likely have their own form of stratification that we are not wary of. Furthermore, in many cases, they also will not contact people whom they have rejected at this point in time so even without a hold, you may have been an R without a notification. We can only speculate at this point :/

I was complete 7/16 and still have not heard anything. Portal says "Your application is ready"

Reactions: 3 users
My application still isn't complete because of Casper :blackeye:, I was able to have it sent there this morning.

DId any URM get invited to the SNMA virtual open house? I'm wondering if this is an indication for a future II? Submitted on Thursday last week and haven't been puton hold yet so assuming its either II or R lol