2020-2021 Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DId any URM get invited to the SNMA virtual open house? I'm wondering if this is an indication for a future II? Submitted on Thursday last week and haven't been puton hold yet so assuming its either II or R lol
+1

Members don't see this ad.

DId any URM get invited to the SNMA virtual open house? I'm wondering if this is an indication for a future II? Submitted on Thursday last week and haven't been puton hold yet so assuming its either II or R lol
I didn't get one, but if you go on the SNMA Instagram page it's open to all premeds.

I didn't get one, but if you go on the SNMA Instagram page it's open to all premeds.
I know its open but I meant is the specific invitation pre-screened. Its whatever I might just be being neurotic.

Members don't see this ad :)
What did people talk about in the “what else do you feel is important for us to know about you?” Prompt? I don’t really anything not in AMCAS that I won’t be putting in my recent grad essay and COVID hasn’t affected me any more than the basic volunteer work getting shut down.

Reactions: 1 user
What did people talk about in the “what else do you feel is important for us to know about you?” Prompt? I don’t really anything not in AMCAS that I won’t be putting in my recent grad essay and COVID hasn’t affected me any more than the basic volunteer work getting shut down.
i talked about why the school/how I felt I could accomplish their mission (though i barely remember the secondary questions)

Reactions: 1 users
For the self reported GPA, is everyone putting the GPA on their transcript or the GPA that AAMC calculated for them?
AAMC GPA is different from self reported?
Don’t mind me I’m wandering in the fog that is cycle confusion(and school GPA =AAMC GPA cuz of nature of my GPA being from a 0.1 system)

For the purposes of what medical schools see, it may be easier to put in the AAMC calculated GPA that has been “standardized” to their system over your school’s GPA which isn’t. I dont think it matters too much as long as it’s a number that exists on your application.

AAMC GPA is different from self reported?
Don’t mind me I’m wandering in the fog that is cycle confusion(and school GPA =AAMC GPA cuz of nature of my GPA being from a 0.1 system)

For the purposes of what medical schools see, it may be easier to put in the AAMC calculated GPA that has been “standardized” to their system over your school’s GPA which isn’t. I dont think it matters too much as long as it’s a number that exists on your application.
If I am not mistaken I believe that portion is for coursework not included in AMCAS or taken outside your home institution

If I am not mistaken I believe that portion is for coursework not included in AMCAS or taken outside your home institution

This was my realization and the reasoning behind deleting my comment. Thank you to everyone for the speedy responses.

for the second prompt, do you all think it would be weird to write separate mini essays? i.e.:
Academic Discrepancies: blah blah blah (i could move this to #1 depending on response to below question)
COVID Impact: blah blah blah (i could move this to #1 depending on response to below question)
Why "Us"/"Me": blah blah blah

for the first prompt, if we are not a recent graduate, should we discuss what we've done since our graduation to cover entire gap year history or only discuss new info not already on primary? this is the first time I'm seeing this question specify recent grads over non-recent. its worded as if someone like me should leave it blank but I'm unsure. also don't want to blatantly ignore what was asked and risk my app. any insight?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you put on hold - what are your stats? I was also complete on 7/16 and haven't heard anything.

for those who were put on hold... did the status ever change to “under review” or did it go straight from complete to on hold

For those of you put on hold - what are your stats? I was also complete on 7/16 and haven't heard anything.
Same, though at this point given other people whom are on hold with superior stats ima assume I got that R

Same, though at this point given other people whom are on hold with superior stats ima assume I got that R
I have a friend who got in a couple cycles ago. He applied super late, had LM ~69, his ECs were good but nothing like a Nature publication or Peace Corps, and he was ORM. Don't count yourself out until they send you the R!

Maybe I just missed this when I applied like a month ago, but does anyone have thoughts on the "New for 2021!" two campuses? I'm not sure I saw that (or it was announced) when I filled out my application. I don't really like that I might not get much say in where I'd be studying -- Philadelphia or West Reading/Tower Health.

Does anyone more familiar with the area have insight into how far West Reading is from the main Philadelphia campus? If my partner had a job in Philadelphia, would it be challenging to have one person in West Reading and the other in the city?

Maybe I just missed this when I applied like a month ago, but does anyone have thoughts on the "New for 2021!" two campuses? I'm not sure I saw that (or it was announced) when I filled out my application. I don't really like that I might not get much say in where I'd be studying -- Philadelphia or West Reading/Tower Health.

Does anyone more familiar with the area have insight into how far West Reading is from the main Philadelphia campus? If my partner had a job in Philadelphia, would it be challenging to have one person in West Reading and the other in the city?

That is new(ish) in terms of appearing on the portal. I don’t know the exact date that it showed up but def wasn’t there like late July.

West reading is about an hour drive away*** from the main PA campus. So it would definitely cause some annoyance at least that’s my opinion

***With minimal traffic

I have a friend who got in a couple cycles ago. He applied super late, had LM ~69, his ECs were good but nothing like a Nature publication or Peace Corps, and he was ORM. Don't count yourself out until they send you the R!
You win the MVP award for today. And it’s more so the anxiety of applications is easier by assuming the R vs being in limbo

That is new(ish) in terms of appearing on the portal. I don’t know the exact date that it showed up but def wasn’t there like late July.

West reading is about an hour drive away*** from the main PA campus. So it would definitely cause some annoyance at least that’s my opinion

***With minimal traffic
If you go to the west reading campus though you don't have to drive to Philly. All your rotations are are reading hospital which is like right next door. It's a 4 year campus. The hospital is supposed to be a fantastic hospital

If you go to the west reading campus though you don't have to drive to Philly. All your rotations are are reading hospital which is like right next door. It's a 4 year campus. The hospital is supposed to be a fantastic hospital
I know, I just wanted to ask because if I ended up at Drexel, my partner would almost certainly work in Philadelphia -- so wondering what a commute would look like from one city to the other, or if we'd likely end up somewhere in the middle. If it was just me, I wouldn't care.

I know, I just wanted to ask because if I ended up at Drexel, my partner would almost certainly work in Philadelphia -- so wondering what a commute would look like from one city to the other, or if we'd likely end up somewhere in the middle. If it was just me, I wouldn't care.
Ohhhh yeah that makes absolute sense. Sorry! haha should have read the original post! I think it would really depend then on A. the commute and B if you wanted to do your rotations at multiple different hospitals or just one C. if you wanted a bigger or smaller class of students. I think the drive would be doable (as someone who has done long-distance before)

With my stats (514,3.95) is this hold an indication of the rest of my app aka my primary and secondary not being good and should I be worried about other schools thinking the same

With my stats (514,3.95) is this hold an indication of the rest of my app aka my primary and secondary not being good and should I be worried about other schools thinking the same
No. Keep in mind that Drexel is a very low yield school, so they'll have to set aside great apps along the way. They will likely be seeking students that are a great fit for their program in terms of stats/EC's/etc. so just because you may not be exactly what they're looking for right now, your stats are great and you'll probably be that perfect fit for some other schools. Don't write Drexel off completely, though.

Reactions: 3 users
You win the MVP award for today. And it’s more so the anxiety of applications is easier by assuming the R vs being in limbo
this is my second time applying haha the waiting limbo just doesn't get easier, trust me. but just remember to not count yourself out until you get the official R! I got my first II last cycle in January (i was in hell for 5ish months) and it was at a school that I completely forgot about lol super OOS-unfriendly too
this is an unpredictable game. you're not out until they TELL you you're out!

No. Keep in mind that Drexel is a very low yield school, so they'll have to set aside great apps along the way. They will likely be seeking students that are a great fit for their program in terms of stats/EC's/etc. so just because you may not be exactly what they're looking for right now, your stats are great and you'll probably be that perfect fit for some other schools. Don't write Drexel off completely, though.
Appreciate this thank you

this is my second time applying haha the waiting limbo just doesn't get easier, trust me. but just remember to not count yourself out until you get the official R! I got my first II last cycle in January (i was in hell for 5ish months) and it was at a school that I completely forgot about lol super OOS-unfriendly too
this is an unpredictable game. you're not out until they TELL you you're out!
Exactly the same thing happened to me! A single II from a school that was not friendly to OOS people like me. And it was a very good school, so I was so confused as to how I caught their eye and no one else's. This is so unpredictable.

Reactions: 2 users
Exactly the same thing happened to me! A single II from a school that was not friendly to OOS people like me. And it was a very good school, so I was so confused as to how I caught their eye and no one else's. This is so unpredictable.
looks like you're doing better than last year with 2 IIs already! Good luck!!!

• Love
4th year checking in. I just wanted to update everyone that the administration is still terrible. Be ready to look out for yourself if you want to graduate on time. I can't wait to GTFO of here and never have to deal with them.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
4th year checking in. I just wanted to update everyone that the administration is still terrible. Be ready to look out for yourself if you want to graduate on time. I can't wait to GTFO of here and never have to deal with them.

CIL.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I know a 4th year at Drexel who expressed similar opinions about admin. Strongly recommended going elsewhere if the option presented itself

• Hmm
Hello fellow human. This is the first time I’ve been hearing about this, so would you be able to elaborate? :)

Reactions: 2 users
I heard that Drexel's teaching hospital shut down, can someone who currently enrolled there explain what is going on?

I heard all of the residence were fired.

I heard that Drexel's teaching hospital shut down, can someone who currently enrolled there explain what is going on?

I heard all of the residence were fired.

The link above is from Drexel and explains a good amount of what went down

Of course there may be bias when talking about impact since it’s coming directly from Drexel

How were you guys approaching the 2nd question in the secondary application?
"What else do you feel is important for us to know about you? You can use this space to highlight something not addressed in your application including new experiences not in your AMCAS application. You can also talk about how COVID-19 impacted you. For example, it may have caused disruptions or changes in your plans. If there is something you would like to share regarding how this even impacted you, share that information."

The link above is from Drexel and explains a good amount of what went down

Of course there may be bias when talking about impact since it’s coming directly from Drexel
Thanks for this, the bias is one of the reasons I'd like to hear from people who are enrolled