2019-2020 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Middletown Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did anyone from 1/13 interview group hear back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

why are they so freakin inconsistent in giving ppl admission decision post interview. Some hear back, others don’t.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live about 10 minutes from campus and I haven't had any complaints living off campus. Most of the students I know that live off campus are in Middletown. Goshen is 5 miles away so you'd be fine there. You generally need to be on campus 3-4 days a week and there isn't much traffic so living even 30 minutes away would be pretty easy. The only negative about living off campus at this school is housing is kind of expensive ($1000+ for a 1 bed room). Everyone I know has a roommate.
/
How do you find a roommate lol? I think I want to go with off campus since I just want to get away from school once I am done for the day. on average, how many hours per week are you in class/lab given the flipped classroom approach?

Well my roommate is my wife so I’m not sure how to get a roommate other than that route lol. Agree about the off campus part, it’s nice to be able to walk out after the last lecture of the day and physically go home, but I’m sure people who live on campus have reasons why they prefer it. As for time on campus, our first year schedule was:
Monday: exam (if you have one that week, usually they are about every other week) from 9am-11am
Tuesday: 9am-5pm
Wednesday: 9am-3pm
Thursday: 9am-5pm

As for the flipped classroom, you can pretty much study however you want. Some students watch the videos (roughly 15 hours a week of video lectures which are optional), some students just study the PowerPoint slides from the videos and some students just study the chapters from the book.

Reactions: 2 users
Well my roommate is my wife so I’m not sure how to get a roommate other than that route lol. Agree about the off campus part, it’s nice to be able to walk out after the last lecture of the day and physically go home, but I’m sure people who live on campus have reasons why they prefer it. As for time on campus, our first year schedule was:
Monday: exam (if you have one that week, usually they are about every other week) from 9am-11am
Tuesday: 9am-5pm
Wednesday: 9am-3pm
Thursday: 9am-5pm

As for the flipped classroom, you can pretty much study however you want. Some students watch the videos (roughly 15 hours a week of video lectures which are optional), some students just study the PowerPoint slides from the videos and some students just study the chapters from the book.
The students I talked to at my Interview talked a bit about how stressful all the tests are. How do you balance studying for the upcoming test while also trying to stay on top of the upcoming material?

For me, I just studied for the next exam and didn’t bother with anything else. The clickers are easy because it’s open laptop and discussion so you’ll get 95% of them right regardless of if you’ve studied for that class session or not. For most exams, 10-15 hours of studying would get me a B. Anatomy and Neuro require about double what other classes need. Everyone has their own method though, the A students usually prepared for each clicker and probably spent more time studying for exams. I have no idea how the material and exams compare to other schools though but I feel like the amount of time you need to put towards school isn’t that much. I usually had 1-2 days a week were I didn’t do anything school related which I’d consider pretty lax for a med school. I’m not an A student so it’ll probably be a different work load if your goal is straight As.

Reactions: 3 users
For me, I just studied for the next exam and didn’t bother with anything else. The clickers are easy because it’s open laptop and discussion so you’ll get 95% of them right regardless of if you’ve studied for that class session or not. For most exams, 10-15 hours of studying would get me a B. Anatomy and Neuro require about double what other classes need. Everyone has their own method though, the A students usually prepared for each clicker and probably spent more time studying for exams. I have no idea how the material and exams compare to other schools though but I feel like the amount of time you need to put towards school isn’t that much. I usually had 1-2 days a week were I didn’t do anything school related which I’d consider pretty lax for a med school. I’m not an A student so it’ll probably be a different work load if your goal is straight As.
Thanks for your help!

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 2/10 and really hoping for a decision sometime soon! Good luck to everyone else still waiting on a decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just heard back, I got waitlisted. I was part of the 1/13 group too

The only negative about living off campus at this school is housing is kind of expensive ($1000+ for a 1 bed room). Everyone I know has a roommate.

Negatives in the dorms: There is mold everywhere, leaks when it rains, the facet water is rusty, and the WIFI is inconsistent.

Way cheaper to live off campus...

Interviewed 3/2. Fell in love with the school. Definitely look forward to hearing some good news in the near future.

Interviewed 01/27, waitlisted 02/27. Just sent in my letter of intent. Might be a basic question but Mr Rose’s reply to the letter requested I “stay in contact throughout the cycle”. Anyone know what that means? I take it as a good sign that they’re not sick of hearing from me yet lol

(Edit for clarity)

Interviewed 01/27, waitlisted 02/27. Just sent in my letter of intent. Might be a basic question but Mr Rose’s reply to the letter requested I “stay in contact throughout the cycle”. Anyone know what that means? I take it as a good sign that they’re not sick of hearing from me yet lol

(Edit for clarity)
Email him occasionally (once a Month checking on your status)

(Edit for clarity)
they like it when you stay in contact because it shows interest and it'll prob pull you off the waitlist quicker!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all!
does anyone know if students are allowed To do the Harlem rotations or only the ones listed under Middletown? Not sure if they are merged Or not :(

Hey all!
does anyone know if students are allowed To do the Harlem rotations or only the ones listed under Middletown? Not sure if they are merged Or not :(
This question was asked during our rotations lecture and unfortunately the only way for a middletown student to get a Harlem spot is to trade with a Harlem student. There is a Nyack sure that is shared by both campuses but other that, you can only pick from the list from your campus.

This question was asked during our rotations lecture and unfortunately the only way for a middletown student to get a Harlem spot is to trade with a Harlem student. There is a Nyack sure that is shared by both campuses but other that, you can only pick from the list from your campus.
Thank you for clarifying this for me!!!

Hey guys I interviewed on 2/24 and I was wondering if it is too soon to send a letter of intent? I really loved the school and it's my top choice so I wanted to let them know...

anyone who interviewed on 2/10 hear anything back yet?

anyone who interviewed on 2/10 hear anything back yet?

ppl that interviewed 2/3 heard back last Monday so I am sure you guys will hear back end of this week aka today, Friday or Monday. You can email him to find out when you’ll hear back. He’ll tell you if committee has met or not.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys I interviewed on 2/24 and I was wondering if it is too soon to send a letter of intent? I really loved the school and it's my top choice so I wanted to let them know...

it is early lol.Don’t send in a letter until the committee has at least met and decided. For all we know, you may even be accepted.

I think you should wait till you get a decision back

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Is there a Facebook group yet for accepted students. Lol sorry if this has been asked before

i emailed mr rose on the 2/10 decisions and he said it should be out by the end of the week

Waitlisted today via email. Interview 2/10. A little disappointed bc I loved the school but fortunately just got an acceptance elsewhere! Best of luck everyone!

Accepted. Interviewed 1/27

Reactions: 3 users