2019-2020 Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Did y'all send thank you notes to your interviewers? Dr. Nobay said her ty note was unnecessary, so unsure if ty notes aren't appreciated at Rochester

Reactions: 1 user
Did y'all send thank you notes to your interviewers? Dr. Nobay said her ty note was unnecessary, so unsure if ty notes aren't appreciated at Rochester

I sent them, mainly because they posted all the interviewer contact info on the portal.

Reactions: 2 users
I sent them, mainly because they posted all the interviewer contact info on the portal.

How did you refer to the school in your e-mail? The University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry gets quite long the second time around... Can I say URMC or SMD?

I wrote UR for my student note (since that's how a lot of students referred to it), and just "the campus" for my faculty one. I'm sure "University of Rochester" would be just fine.

Are you OOS?
Nope, in state, current UR undergrad student actually. They get a lot of apps from us undergrads @ UR, so I'm not particularly surprised, especially given my lack-luster MCAT score compared to most of their other applicants. I've had several peers from UR, IS, who also had the same thing happen. Still a bummer...however, it does make it easier to consider the possibility of leaving Rochester rather than staying another 4 years. I had a mentor at URMC who actually suggested going elsewhere for medical school and returning for residency.

If anyone has any questions regarding the Rochester area or Strong Memorial Hospital, feel free to ask away - I've been here for 4 years and worked at the hospital for the past 3, and really love it (both the city and the med center)! :)

Reactions: 1 users
How did you refer to the school in your e-mail? The University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry gets quite long the second time around... Can I say URMC or SMD?

I think I just said the University of Rochester!

Nope, in state, current UR undergrad student actually. They get a lot of apps from us undergrads @ UR, so I'm not particularly surprised, especially given my lack-luster MCAT score compared to most of their other applicants. I've had several peers from UR, IS, who also had the same thing happen. Still a bummer...however, it does make it easier to consider the possibility of leaving Rochester rather than staying another 4 years. I had a mentor at URMC who actually suggested going elsewhere for medical school and returning for residency.

If anyone has any questions regarding the Rochester area or Strong Memorial Hospital, feel free to ask away - I've been here for 4 years and worked at the hospital for the past 3, and really love it (both the city and the med center)! :)
Do you think they ran out of acceptance spots and now just waitlisting ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think they ran out of acceptance spots and now just waitlisting ?
I don't think this is the case. I would assume that Rochester will continue to offer acceptances until the end of interview season so everyone has a fair shot.

I don't think this is the case. I would assume that Rochester will continue to offer acceptances until the end of interview season so everyone has a fair shot.

Agreed- plus, I was talking with an M4 friend a few months ago who mentioned that Rochester typically has an interview season that is later, and longer, than other schools.

He felt that interviews in late-October/early-November were on the early-middle side of their season whereas schools like UCLA/Mayo are much faster.

is there a reason why your mentor said it's better for you to not go to rochester for med school? Asking because I am hoping for a II from this school and would likely be my first choice if I got accepted

is there a reason why your mentor said it's better for you to not go to rochester for med school? Asking because I am hoping for a II from this school and would likely be my first choice if I got accepted

Not OP nor undergrad at Rochester, but I've been told this at my school as well by some advisers and mentors. Most of the time, I've been told that since you went to undergrad there, you're more likely to know the system a bit already and not really step out of your comfort zone, and then if you go to residency at that same school (which again is likely), by the time you graduate residency you only know one hospital system. This can make it harder to adapt when you start looking for jobs that are potentially not in the same hospital system where you might have to learn a new way of doing things. It's not particularly a Rochester thing, I think it's more of a problem with any place that has all three of an undergrad campus, med school, and residency programs.

I'm originally from ~1 hour away from Rochester, went to school at UR, and while to attend URMC would be amazing, I also would like to see & experience other places. Staying here wouldn't be a step out of my comfort zone, and I think I need to explore other regions/hospital systems.

Additionally, we have some great state schools here that are significantly cheaper (esp after pricey undergraduate education here!) So mainly personal reasons that my mentor is aware of. The school is wonderful and the faculty genuinely care about their students, definitely remains one of my top choices, despite the aforementioned reasons!

I'm originally from ~1 hour away from Rochester, went to school at UR, and while to attend URMC would be amazing, I also would like to see & experience other places. Staying here wouldn't be a step out of my comfort zone, and I think I need to explore other regions/hospital systems.

Additionally, we have some great state schools here that are significantly cheaper (esp after pricey undergraduate education here!) So mainly personal reasons that my mentor is aware of. The school is wonderful and the faculty genuinely care about their students, definitely remains one of my top choices, despite the aforementioned reasons!
ahh ok that makes complete sense! Thank you for the insight!

II today at 7pm! Complete 8/31, placed on hold 11/21. OOS

• Wow
Reactions: 11 users
II yesterday!! Complete 7/17. OOS. No Hold.

Lots of dates still available in January, February and March

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else put on hold and told they would hear back about an interview decision by January, but still no word?

Reactions: 14 users
I got accepted and I got the email too. I bet they just emailed everyone who applied, including those who got accepted and had IIs

I got accepted and I got the email too. I bet they just emailed everyone who applied, including those who got accepted and had IIs

+1. I think you’re correct. I wouldn’t read into it.

any acceptance calls/emails lately?
Not for me. From observing the trends on this forum, all of the acceptances have been coming out in batches and on Fridays, with one Thursday batch being reported. They also seem to come every two or three weeks. This Friday marks three weeks since their last bout of acceptances so hopefully that’ll be the day!

Reactions: 1 users
Not for me. From observing the trends on this forum, all of the acceptances have been coming out in batches and on Fridays, with one Thursday batch being reported. They also seem to come every two or three weeks. This Friday marks three weeks since their last bout of acceptances so hopefully that’ll be the day!

10000 points for this analysis! Thanks for the help!!! :)

II today at 7pm! Complete 8/31, placed on hold 11/21. OOS
Congratulations! Was there anything you did between the hold email to the invite? Like did you send any updates or letters? I was placed on hold 11/21 and OOS as well, and haven't heard anything.

Congratulations! Was there anything you did between the hold email to the invite? Like did you send any updates or letters? I was placed on hold 11/21 and OOS as well, and haven't heard anything.
Nope. I actually meant to send an update letter in the beginning of Jan but completely forgot. I'm sure an update wouldn't hurt though, as long as you have something meaningful to update with, or a letter of interest if you don't have a good update.

26B13C32-AF0D-4F52-98BD-7A30F20B2FEA.jpeg
Withdrew from II today, but wanted to share it seems like they’re nearing the end of their cycle. Hope one of you get the spot!

Reactions: 7 users
hello fellow applicants! Is it too late to get an invite yet, even tho i was abcez123 post? Like, does anyone possibly know when the last interview date is? Has anyone sent an update after getting a hold and actually got an invite, or get rejected, from it? Do they respond well to updates? Can you tell that I got a hold and am debating whether to update or if its a waste of my time? lmao Congrats to everyone who got accepted or get an invite! Good luck and hang in there!!

Not to detract from the previous post in changing the subject (I would offer an answer if I had any idea if they were still hanging out interviews), but did anyone hear back today??

are there any II dates for the week of Feb 17-21?? just got an II invite today but barely see any available dates for Feb and March

Has anyone heard back from mid-December interview dates?

Interviewed 12/11; haven’t heard back.