2019-2020 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone actually called to confirm 300+ people on the mayo waitlist? I’ve heard from people in touch with adcom that it’s definitely less because they did R post interview...

Has anyone actually called to confirm 300+ people on the mayo waitlist? I’ve heard from people in touch with adcom that it’s definitely less because they did R post interview...
Current theory is after the whole messup, they WL everyone to save face, as further evidenced by no post I Rs reported rn on here. But if you have info to the otherwise then we could be wrong!

Reactions: 4 users
Current theory is after the whole messup, they WL everyone to save face, as further evidenced by no post I Rs reported rn on here. But if you have info to the otherwise then we could be wrong!

I heard R’s went out Wednesday night. No reason to think the waitlist is any bigger than it’s ever been. Probably 150-200 people prior to withdrawals...

Reactions: 1 user
I heard R’s went out Wednesday night. No reason to think the waitlist is any bigger than it’s ever been. Probably 150-200 people prior to withdrawals...
Yeah, someone else mentioned that as well I think a week ago or so. The strange thing is no Rs have been reported on here

Yeah, someone else mentioned that as well I think a week ago or so. The strange thing is no Rs have been reported on here

There were 3 R posts and 2 got deleted unsure as to why...

Reactions: 1 users
There were 3 R posts and 2 got deleted unsure as to why...
Oh, I must've missed them then. Good to know! Guess the WL is smaller like you mentioned before!

Has anyone who received the WL email yesterday seen their AMP profile update?

Members don't see this ad :)
Those who received financial aid packages, how did you feel about the award amount? More than, just at, or less than expected?

Those who received financial aid packages, how did you feel about the award amount? More than, just at, or less than expected?

More than expected, wasn't expecting anything at all so I'm very happy with mine

Less than expected. I was hoping for more.

I'm surprised that a lot of people are reporting not getting as much as they hoped for. I wonder how the $200 million for scholarships is being distributed or used

Law of small numbers probably also an issue here. 5 people graduating debt free out of a class of 50+ significantly scews reported indebtness

Mine still hasn't changed, am I alone?

I talked to the admissions office. Theresa said that they're still getting through everyone who has received an appointment already, and then will move on to those of us on the waitlist. They do not yet have a definitive timeline for when our AMP profiles will be updated, but it is coming.

Mayo is one of 5 schools at #6 on new rankings. A little extra "oomph" for those that are considering their options. I wish other schools would hurry up with finaid, shouldn't take this long :meh:

Nothing here
Dear MCASOM Arizona Alternate Applicants,

The national impact of COVID-19 is immense. Mayo Clinic leadership has made many difficult decisions to keep our patients, staff, learners and visitors safe during this unprecedented event.

Second Look Weekend on the Arizona and Minnesota campuses have been cancelled to keep our potential students and their loved ones as safe as possible. We have worked diligently to create a virtual Second Look program on March 21, which will be recorded. We will send you the link to the recording when it becomes available.

Your understanding during this difficult time is appreciated. Please let us know if we can answer any questions you may have.

>>>>>We have worked diligently to create a virtual Second Look program on March 21, which will be recorded. We will send you the link to the recording when it becomes available.

Did anyone get link of recording?

>>>>>We have worked diligently to create a virtual Second Look program on March 21, which will be recorded. We will send you the link to the recording when it becomes available.

Did anyone get link of recording?
Sounds like this is only for Arizona. Try posting in their thread

I thought second look is at MN for all students regardless of MN/AZ/FL.
AZ and MN have two different second looks. If you are in 2+2 you would “attend” the second look for your initial campus.

I believe they are working on a virtual second look for the MN campus in April!

Looks like they have changed their attendance policy! Per MSAR, "Many lectures are recorded. Attendance is mandatory for major exams, Sim Center activities, direct observations, and patient and clinical experiences."

Looks like they have changed their attendance policy! Per MSAR, "Many lectures are recorded. Attendance is mandatory for major exams, Sim Center activities, direct observations, and patient and clinical experiences."

For the better. But do they record lecture though?

For the better. But do they record lecture though?

From the outset, I had the suspicion that CoVID19 would change the nature of medical education. We'll see how this actually plays out once things settle down. For the moment, even our "mandatory" days (i.e. exams) are taken at home.

To answer your question, yes, lecture is mostly recorded. It has been for at least a few years now. There will generally be exceptions whenever we are visited by patients though (in the interest of patient confidentiality). One of your longitudinal courses (few sessions every block) will have a live patient interview nearly every class. It's an awesome course and you'll be happy you attended in person.

Otherwise, we have always been able to miss lecture and take a "flex day" (10 per year technically) that it is on our own honor to record. Trust me, profs aren't chasing you down to attend. There's some nuance with small group though.

Happy to answer any other questions that pop up as you good people narrow choices.

There are much more important things going on in the world right now but wanted to let you know the 4th years had a great match :) lots going to their first choice programs--some staying here, many others going elsewhere (midwest, south, both coasts). Feel free to ask questions as you're trying to decide where to go. Hope all are staying healthy and safe!

There are much more important things going on in the world right now but wanted to let you know the 4th years had a great match :) lots going to their first choice programs--some staying here, many others going elsewhere (midwest, south, both coasts). Feel free to ask questions as you're trying to decide where to go. Hope all are staying healthy and safe!
Thank you! The list @Arsartium posted looked incredible! Any idea what % matched to their top choice? Also did anyone have to SOAP/not match into their desired specialty?

Thank you! The list @Arsartium posted looked incredible! Any idea what % matched to their top choice? Also did anyone have to SOAP/not match into their desired specialty?
We heard from admin there was a 100% match rate, and I don't believe anyone had to SOAP based on the timing of when we were told this! Not sure about not matching into desired specialty...from the people I know who were planning on doing certain specialties, they matched to what they said they wanted :) I don't know every single person though so can't say for sure. Also not sure about % matched to first choice--some people are more private about this, while many others shared this info...seemed like quite a few got their first choice though :) The school usually reports this info to students later with "x% got their first choice, x% got their second." Sorry for a lot of "not sure" haha hope this is a little helpful anyway!

The school usually reports this info to students later with "x% got their first choice, x% got their second." Sorry for a lot of "not sure" haha hope this is a little helpful anyway!

When that information becomes available, can you post it here or PM me

When that information becomes available, can you post it here or PM me
Totally would but they usually tell us during presentations for preparing us for residency. They told my class sometime in the last year but I don't remember the percentages :/ --sorry about that! I remember it being high but that's about it.

#188 here's their matches; I've never seen a school post "who got first choice"

I know they don't lol. But I know it isn't atypical for them to try to track that information, they just don't publicize it. I'd love an insider's scoop though ;)

Big news just now: lecture attendance no longer required. Small groups, sim, clinical activities required. Hope this helps some of you hesitant to come here because of required lecture!

Big news just now: lecture attendance no longer required. Small groups, sim, clinical activities required. Hope this helps some of you hesitant to come here because of required lecture!
Just curious, why would people not like to attend lecture? Are they way early in morning or odd hours?

Just curious, why would people not like to attend lecture? Are they way early in morning or odd hours?
Good question! No, not weird hours--pretty standard. 8-12ish first year, 1-4/5ish second year. Not every day for those entire time periods though. The lectures are usually good just not effective for each student.

Some people just realize they don't learn as well in lecture and prefer to study on their own/use other resources like pathoma, b&b, and sketchy. Everyone has their own way of doing things--I'm sure many will still attend first year and slowly fall off second year as step 1 approaches, though maybe more will still go to lecture with P/F coming up.

Apparently last year there was an email that went out on 3/28/19 letting some people on the WL know that they were finalists for an open spot... has anyone gotten the email this year yet?

Apparently last year there was an email that went out on 3/28/19 letting some people on the WL know that they were finalists for an open spot... has anyone gotten the email this year yet?
I've definitely not heard anything from Mayo since the awful waitlist call.

Reactions: 6 users