2019-2020 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am basing it on the number who posted here immediately after getting the email. Especially if it happens to be a known time frame where news is heard. It wouldn't be as many people, but are you proposing that since fewer people might have notified others about it or that those whose hopes were raised might have had them dashed within minutes instead of within hours that they don't deserve to be upset about it?

They (Penn St people) deserve to be upset and disappointed. But having the excitement last for minutes vs hours does matter. Telling friends/family, then having to tell them it wasn’t real is heartbreaking and embarrassing. Thinking and planning about going to Mayo for hours raises excitement which only makes the fall harder. I still feel sorry for people that had a similar thing happen at Penn St, but I don’t think they’re quite comparable. Which is why Penn St’s actions were much better than Mayo’s

Members don't see this ad.

LMAO to whoever said they were thinking about suing mayo.

Honestly even verbalizing that is embarrassing.

I understand this is horrible but in the end it was a mistake they made, and it appears that they have done their best to rectify it.

I know this process is ****ty and beyond stressful, but mayo doesn't owe a single one of you anything. Accept the apology( or don't) and move on
We get it. Mayo is a great institution. That's exactly why we are heartbroken and upset...

Reactions: 1 user
This was an honest technical error. A lawyer would laugh at a legal pursuit of this.
If your verbal bludgeoning of an unintentional error has you feeling like victims of the world, you won’t be able to handle all the mistakes you will make on patients.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
  • Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Stop being victims. This was an honest technical error. The drama on this thread makes my head hurt. A lawyer would laugh at a legal pursuit if this.
If your verbal bludgeoning of an unintentional error has you feeling like victims of the world, then you should reconsider going to medical school. You won’t be able to handle all the mistakes you will make on patients.
Stop being triggered by people complaining.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Stop being triggered by people complaining.
Disappointed for the future medical profession that future physicians are so butt hurt and ready to burn down the village over an honest error. . ‍♀

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Not triggered. Disappointed for the future medical profession that future physicians are so butt hurt and ready to burn down the village over an honest error.

Having seen attending physicians literally start screaming at their residents or medical students over mistakes - I think this thread is extremely tame.

Reactions: 8 users
Not triggered. Disappointed for the future medical profession that future physicians are so butt hurt and ready to burn down the village over an honest error.
Okay, but do you not recognize the hypocrisy? You are butt hurt over people being butt hurt. Your comment was essentially "Stop being upset. It upsets me so much that you're upset."

Reactions: 3 users
Okay, but do you not recognize the hypocrisy? You are butt hurt over people being butt hurt. Your comment was essentially "Stop being upset. It upsets me so much that you're upset."
Disappointed and upset are two different things. This doesn’t affect my day.

It has been a couple of days now. If current applicants who were affected by this situation want to comment and/or offer relevant info, then please do. But this is a school-specific thread meant primarily to help people currently applying to this school. If you are an “outsider” of any kind, you are entitled to have an opinion on this, but please stop posting it in this thread. There’s a Mayo thread on the main forum where you can debate and do whatever you want to do. Thank you.

:beat:

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I just want to make a statement,

Make it Duke’s Mayonnaise.

Thank you

• Haha
  • Love
Has anyone received an email with instructions on how to pay the deposit?

Hi everyone, current M1 not at Mayo here. I just found out about this debacle and it made me literally nauseated to read about it. My heart breaks for those of you who were affected. I can’t imagine how awful this must feel.

Mayo MN was far and away my first choice during last year’s application cycle. I got very close – I felt like my interviews went great, I got the highly interested letter, I had a lot of personal communication with the admissions staff, I got encouraging feedback while on the waitlist. But it didn’t happen for me. I was crushed.

I was fortunate to get a few other acceptances late in the cycle. I picked the one that made the most sense for me. I’m here now, and I’m happy and healthy, I’ve made great friends, and I’ve had incredible opportunities that I never imagined could come my way. With hard work, I have the potential to match at an excellent residency program – people from my school and most others do it all the time despite not having T10 reputations.

Mayo is special, no doubt. But my goal is to be a physician – not to attend some specific program. The kind of doctor I become is far more up to me than the medical school I attend. I’m sure I would have loved Mayo, but I also love where I’m at now, more than I ever expected. Maybe I’ll get to do a residency or fellowship at Mayo – or maybe not. Either way, I’m going to be working hard to be the best doctor I can be for my patients, and that is what will ultimately satisfy me the most.

If you don’t get into Mayo, but you do get in somewhere else, embrace it. Go all in and you’ll be amazed at what’s out there – there’s nothing like being a medical student when it comes to opportunities. Kill it in med school and match at Mayo for residency – or somewhere even better.

If you don’t get into Mayo, and you don’t get in anywhere else, know that you are very close. Weak applicants don’t make it to the interview stage at Mayo. Apply again when you are ready, apply broadly, and apply early. Hell, apply to Mayo again – they’re sure to remember you after this disaster, and a little guilt on their part might actually work in your favor.

Regardless of what happens, take care of yourself. This sucks really, really, really hard. But you have it within you to overcome this and achieve happiness and success independent of any screwups in the cornfield. I and many others are wishing you the best.

• Love
Reactions: 21 users
Can someone weigh in on the following:
They accept 46 or so
They have sent 70 or so acceptances
There are 360 or so wait listed
It has been said 15 - 30 per cent of the class comes of the wait list

let’s say of the 70, 30 martriculate
16 or so come of the wait list (35 per cent of the class)

that means only 4 per cent or so have a chance of getting in from the wait list

does that make sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone weigh in on the following:
They accept 46 or so
They have sent 70 or so acceptances
There are 360 or so wait listed
It has been said 15 - 30 per cent of the class comes of the wait list

let’s say of the 70, 30 martriculate
16 or so come of the wait list (35 per cent of the class)

that means only 4 per cent or so have a chance of getting in from the wait list

does that make sense?

I'd venture that final percentage should probably be slightly higher. Right now you're assuming all 360 people stay on the waitlist, and that any person pulled from the waitlist accepts the offer.

Hey Mayo applicants that got screwed.......... why don't you tweet your displeasure to stephen colbert who knows he might cover this.

@StephenAtHome

Wouldn't it be lovely if he read out the cold aceeptance then rejection letters?

Last edited:
I'd venture that final percentage should probably be slightly higher. Right now you're assuming all 360 people stay on the waitlist, and that any person pulled from the waitlist accepts the offer.

I heard closer to 100-150 were waitlisted and others were rejected post II. That makes more sense. No way their waitlist is 360 considering both campuses have a combined waitlist size between 200-300

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone, current M1 not at Mayo here. I just found out about this debacle and it made me literally nauseated to read about it. My heart breaks for those of you who were affected. I can’t imagine how awful this must feel.

Mayo MN was far and away my first choice during last year’s application cycle. I got very close – I felt like my interviews went great, I got the highly interested letter, I had a lot of personal communication with the admissions staff, I got encouraging feedback while on the waitlist. But it didn’t happen for me. I was crushed.

I was fortunate to get a few other acceptances late in the cycle. I picked the one that made the most sense for me. I’m here now, and I’m happy and healthy, I’ve made great friends, and I’ve had incredible opportunities that I never imagined could come my way. With hard work, I have the potential to match at an excellent residency program – people from my school and most others do it all the time despite not having T10 reputations.

Mayo is special, no doubt. But my goal is to be a physician – not to attend some specific program. The kind of doctor I become is far more up to me than the medical school I attend. I’m sure I would have loved Mayo, but I also love where I’m at now, more than I ever expected. Maybe I’ll get to do a residency or fellowship at Mayo – or maybe not. Either way, I’m going to be working hard to be the best doctor I can be for my patients, and that is what will ultimately satisfy me the most.

If you don’t get into Mayo, but you do get in somewhere else, embrace it. Go all in and you’ll be amazed at what’s out there – there’s nothing like being a medical student when it comes to opportunities. Kill it in med school and match at Mayo for residency – or somewhere even better.

If you don’t get into Mayo, and you don’t get in anywhere else, know that you are very close. Weak applicants don’t make it to the interview stage at Mayo. Apply again when you are ready, apply broadly, and apply early. Hell, apply to Mayo again – they’re sure to remember you after this disaster, and a little guilt on their part might actually work in your favor.

Regardless of what happens, take care of yourself. This sucks really, really, really hard. But you have it within you to overcome this and achieve happiness and success independent of any screwups in the cornfield. I and many others are wishing you the best.
This is one of the best post I have read in last few days!!!
I am sure you will be a great doctor.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I’m sorry I cannot help but think of this scene whe I think of mayo...... total **** post I know but can’t help it .

Is anyone going to be held liable? The tech team or software programmers? The person who managed them? The quality control team? The dean? Software glitches are not natural causes; it is caused by someone who failed at their job or lack of testing/oversight.
Again, just a student. I have no idea of the upper workings. I understand how traumatizing this may be but seeking blood/holding someone liable isn’t nearly as important as making sure this doesn’t happen again.

Reactions: 1 users
After this ridiculous suck-it-up brigade, I've learned that the word "professionalism" can only be used against us

• Haha
Again, just a student. I have no idea of the upper workings. I understand how traumatizing this may be but seeking blood/holding someone liable isn’t nearly as important as making sure this doesn’t happen again.

I don’t see why both aren’t attainable.

You know as doctors you are supposed be observant .....

Yet nobody sees that mayo is getting their med students to post statements
Probably written by a pr/ crisis management firm .

Awww shucks making sure this doesn’t happen again is more important than seeking blood...... said @hopeful314
Who seems to be a mayo student !

Btw keeping 150 on the wait list is a pr crisis management tactic so that you don’t sue ! Slowly after the news dies they will reject you

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
We must seize the means of admission from the Bourgeois adcoms
I mean...yeah pretty much. This ain’t gonna change unless medical schools have some power ripped away from them. Not just with Mayo but pretty much the whole market.

Oops, let my inner radical slip

• Haha
You know as doctors you are supposed be observant .....

Yet nobody sees that mayo is getting their med students to post statements
Probably written by a pr/ crisis management firm .

Awww shucks making sure this doesn’t happen again is more important than seeking blood...... said @hopeful314
Who seems to be a mayo student !

Btw keeping 150 on the wait list is a pr crisis management tactic so that you don’t sue ! Slowly after the news dies they will reject you

Aliens. Kennedy assassination. Big foot. Loch ness. Chemtrails. Trump being Christian... Your account of current students posting some PR statement ranks high in the list of conspiracies.

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
Aliens. Kennedy assassination. Big foot. Loch ness. Chemtrails. Trump being Christian... Your account of current students posting some PR statement ranks high in the list of conspiracies.
Conspiracy theories are exactly that theories I am talking of fact. All the
Supportive talk about mayo seems to be coming from current students.

Has anyone received an email with instructions on how to pay the deposit?
No but I called today (AZ campus) and they said the email should go out tonight or tomorrow and they aren't super concerned about a hard 1 week deadline right now.

Sorry to bring this back, but are there any other students that still haven't heard back? Have any of you called the office? I was wondering if I should.

Sorry to bring this back, but are there any other students that still haven't heard back? Have any of you called the office? I was wondering if I should.

They're literally stonewalling calls because people keep bothering them. Assume you're WL until you get confirmation otherwise. As I'm sure you can guess, it's a hectic time for them due to last week's blunder and the normal admissions timeline

Edit: Relax, breathe. If you're in, they'll let you know. If you're not, they'll let you know. A phone call won't change their time table. Life will go on

Last edited:
Today is presidents day, which many schools (not sure about if Mayo) in the Midwest take as a holiday. Good chance no one is in today, check tomorrow.

I'm thinking of sending an LOI and then withdrawing 3.5 hours later.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone here think the job of an adcom member is easy? Do you think they enjoy having to reject some pretty incredible people every year? I have a hypothesis. The woe is me, I’m powerless in this process may very well be reflected in your essays and could be preventing you from receiving interviews invites and acceptances. Who wants to recruit someone that doesn’t take ownership of their circumstances/situation? Who wants to interview a person that has a myopic worldview?

• Haha
  • Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Does anyone here think the job of an adcom member is easy? Do you think they enjoy having to reject some pretty incredible people every year? I have a hypothesis. The woe is me, I’m powerless in this process may very well be reflected in your essays and could be preventing you from receiving interviews invites and acceptances. Who wants to recruit someone that doesn’t take ownership of their circumstances/situation? Who wants to interview a person that has a myopic worldview?
Are you talking to me? I was clearly making a joke.

Bruh

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
It is definitely 100 percent easy. Honestly sounds like the cushiest job ever can't wait to do it one day.

you really think its easy to sit on your butt and judge others all day?

Maybe you're just another one of those whiny kids in this generation that has never held a real job then /s

• Haha
you really think its easy to sit on your butt and judge others all day?

Maybe you're just another one of those whiny kids in this generation that has never held a real job then /s
Hey Ill let you know I held a very intense 12 hour a week volunteer research position that gave me a 500 dollar stipend after 6 months so back off ;)

It is definitely 100 percent easy. Honestly sounds like the cushiest job ever can't wait to do it one day.
The entitlement of kids today is astounding. I just don't know what's wrong with kids today. Y'all chuck a measly 100$ at adcoms in secondary fees, and expect an II the very next day. It says very clearly on these websites, that you have to wait for months while they fairly evaluate your app, but that doesn't stop you from pestering the wonderful adcoms who are so fair and balanced, "Have you evaluated me yet?". Then when you get that II, you attend, and complain about not being notified of the admissions decision in time. Well, kids, back in my day, we submitted our applications on time every time, (for me it was May 1898) and gave the hard-working adcoms a gift of 1000$ and our first born child. Hell, we were lucky to get an admissions decision the day before class started. And when we got our A, we weren't ungrateful. No sir. It was expected that every applicant send a horse, a gallon of whiskey, and half our soul to the wonderful, beautiful, messianic adcoms who can do no wrong.

But did we, the greatest generation, stoop to y'all kids' level! Never! Instead, we complain bitterly at today's youth who are so entitled, expecting to be treated with respect (the audacity!) while we stomp all over their feelings ourselves. Real people don't cry, they hold their feelings in until they explode.

• Haha
The entitlement of kids today is astounding. I just don't know what's wrong with kids today. Y'all chuck a measly 100$ at adcoms in secondary fees, and expect an II the very next day. It says very clearly on these websites, that you have to wait for months while they fairly evaluate your app, but that doesn't stop you from pestering the wonderful adcoms who are so fair and balanced, "Have you evaluated me yet?". Then when you get that II, you attend, and complain about not being notified of the admissions decision in time. Well, kids, back in my day, we submitted our applications on time every time, (for me it was May 1898) and gave the hard-working adcoms a gift of 1000$ and our first born child. Hell, we were lucky to get an admissions decision the day before class started. And when we got our A, we weren't ungrateful. No sir. It was expected that every applicant send a horse, a gallon of whiskey, and half our soul to the wonderful, beautiful, messianic adcoms who can do no wrong.

But did we, the greatest generation, stoop to y'all kids' level! Never! Instead, we complain bitterly at today's youth who are so entitled, expecting to be treated with respect (the audacity!) while we stomp all over their feelings ourselves. Real people don't cry, they hold their feelings in until they explode.
Joe Biden is that you?

• Haha

ok boomer

Anyone who got a call for an acceptance after the email debacle: has your portal updated or have you heard anything since?