2020-2021 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got my financial aid package. Anyone else? They were very generous. Does anyone know what the highest amount they offer is?

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I just got my financial aid package. Anyone else? They were very generous. Does anyone know what the highest amount they offer is?
Yes, same here. Very generous! <3 I think the highest would be full tuition.

Do we think that there will be some waitlist movement this year? Got the "very highly ranked" email, but no A, so I'm trying to keep my spirits up ;) Congrats to those who got in!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do we think that there will be some waitlist movement this year? Got the "very highly ranked" email, but no A, so I'm trying to keep my spirits up ;) Congrats to those who got in!
I sure hope so (as another member of the “very highly ranked” no A club)

• Care
Mayo AZ has an accepted students Facebook group. If Mayo MN has a similar group, it'd help greatly if anyone can chime in # of total members (and perhaps a guesstimate of admins/current students) to get a sense of where we're at in the admissions process. This number would be particularly useful put up against some of these quick stats:

-Mayo's website indicates 174 acceptances were issued for the 2020 admission cycle for an intended goal of 50 students at each of the MN/AZ campuses. It is likely the split of these A's are roughly equal across the two campuses; a perfect split would be 87 acceptances at each campus.
-MSAR indicates that Mayo has 300 WL spots from which they issue 40 acceptances. Again, this is the total number across the two campuses. For our purposes, we can likely only assume the split is approximately even across AZ and MN again as I haven't seen anything more specific about yield per campus.

Therefore with the most basic of analyses, and assuming COVID does not significantly change acceptance issuance strategies, somewhere around 67 acceptances will likely be issued now with a remainder 20-ish issued from the waitlist. For reference, Mayo AZ's accepted students group as of 2/25 has 43 members, of which 4 appear to be admins.

In the end, we're all just doing aggressive hand-waving math here...wishing everyone the best!

Reactions: 1 users
Mayo AZ has an accepted students Facebook group. If Mayo MN has a similar group, it'd help greatly if anyone can chime in # of total members (and perhaps a guesstimate of admins/current students) to get a sense of where we're at in the admissions process. This number would be particularly useful put up against some of these quick stats:

-Mayo's website indicates 174 acceptances were issued for the 2020 admission cycle for an intended goal of 50 students at each of the MN/AZ campuses. It is likely the split of these A's are roughly equal across the two campuses; a perfect split would be 87 acceptances at each campus.
-MSAR indicates that Mayo has 300 WL spots from which they issue 40 acceptances. Again, this is the total number across the two campuses. For our purposes, we can likely only assume the split is approximately even across AZ and MN again as I haven't seen anything more specific about yield per campus.

Therefore with the most basic of analyses, and assuming COVID does not significantly change acceptance issuance strategies, somewhere around 67 acceptances will likely be issued now with a remainder 20-ish issued from the waitlist. For reference, Mayo AZ's accepted students group as of 2/25 has 43 members, of which 4 appear to be admins.

In the end, we're all just doing aggressive hand-waving math here...wishing everyone the best!
I requested it when the portal changed, but my request is still pending. There were 3 members when I requested and still are so I am assuming no one has been approved, yet!

I will update once approved.

I got a call from a Mayo Clinic number at 1:34 PM but was not able to pick up. No voicemail left. Tried to call back and it said it couldn’t identify the specific caller ID. No idea what’s going on

Reactions: 6 users
I got a call from a Mayo Clinic number at 1:34 PM but was not able to pick up. No voicemail left. Tried to call back and it said it couldn’t identify the specific caller ID. No idea what’s going on
1614367500015.png

Reactions: 7 users
Update: got another call with the acceptance! Received the highly ranked email but no other communication from interviewers prior. Looks like calls are still coming out (although haven’t received any emails about financial aid or anything)

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Update: got another call with the acceptance! Received the highly ranked email but no other communication from interviewers prior. Looks like calls are still coming out (although haven’t received any emails about financial aid or anything)
Yesss!! Congratulations!!! So excited for you!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user

That's awesome news for you! Congrats!

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! FYI email took ~a day and the financial aid info took ~3 days for me

what's the housing situation like in Rochester? Do most students roommate or live alone? Is rent generally affordable? Also, i have read somewhere before that Mayo does internal rankings that is reported to residencies. Is this true from your experience? any advice on winter gear to bring?
Not sure if someone in the thread answered your questions already. Here's my 2 cents.

Housing
Your housing allowance is pretty generous (~$1500/month) for the area. Most people have roommates but a significant proportion live alone. How much you spend really depends on you. There are crazy expensive luxury apartments ($3k/month) and crazy cheap options ($300/month) -- all within walking distance (< 1 mile) of the school campus. Civic Square apts is almost the Mayo dorm with 2 bed 2 bath 1100 sq ft for like $1100/month. You can find a few places with heated garage at $100-200/month. Worth it.

If you have the scratch, buying a house can be a good idea. The market is on the rise. Catch 'em while its affordable.

Internal ranking: Short answer, no. You can DM me for a longer answer. (It would still start with "no"). It's nothing to be worried about.

Winter gear: Standard beanie and gloves (heated ones are toasty). Gater is a good idea too. Get an Eddie Bauer on sale or go to the local goodwill (nice stuff since trainees leave their coats after residency/fellowship) to snag a jacket rated to -30 degrrees F. Doesn't get that cold too often, but it sure is nice just tossing that coat on without worrying about layering.

Last edited:
  • Love
fyi, it seems that AZ is reporting WL emails being sent out. perhaps they're coming earlier than the march 8 date mentioned (or maybe they're on a different timeline?)

fyi, it seems that AZ is reporting WL emails being sent out. perhaps they're coming earlier than the march 8 date mentioned (or maybe they're on a different timeline?)
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
OK, I'm done.

Good luck, all.

Wow, that was fast.

WL email. Highly ranked email, but no addl communication (+/- the occasional generic email). Interviewed mid-Dec.

• Care
never been so happy to be waitlisted! No highly ranked email or post interview communication. Interviewed early Jan

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Should we assume an R if we don’t have a WL email?

• Sad
Should we assume an R if we don’t have a WL email?
I think they're rolling. That's the AZ forum's hypothesis.

I'm also wondering if it's alphabetical. My last name is v early in the alphabet.

I’m h
I think they're rolling. That's the AZ forum's hypothesis.

I'm also wondering if it's alphabetical. My last name is v early in the alphabet.
Im hoping so then since mines towards the end

WL! Interviewed early Dec, received highly ranked email and submitted letter of intent.

• Care
+1 WL, January interview, "highly ranked", LOIntent

• Care
WL, interviewed October, sent letter of interest but no further post-II or highly ranked email

• Care
Also WL. Any hope for us that didn't get highly ranked e-mails? Do they actually reject a significant amount of interviewees?

• Care
Also WL. Any hope for us that didn't get highly ranked e-mails? Do they actually reject a significant amount of interviewees?

MSAR says Mayo offers about 300 waitlist positions across all 3 campuses, which should imply that the majority of interviewees are rejected.

MSAR says Mayo offers about 300 waitlist positions across all 3 campuses, which should imply that the majority of interviewees are rejected.

Ah, I didn't see that. Thanks.

For the sake of discussion, what portion of WL'd applicants do you all think end up sending a letter of intent? A Half? Third? Less?

They accept 40/300 off the waitlist according to MSAR, but I'd be confident in saying that they accept <5 people off the WL who don't write a letter of intent.

WL'd 30 minutes ago. No highly ranked email/post-II communication from them or on my part.

• Care
Anyone else without even a WL but got highly ranked email and(/or) interviewer reaching out personally post-II earlier on? feels sad that mayo played with my heart :(

edit: +1 WL

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
it seems disrespectful to applicants when they send out highly ranked emails only to WL/R later. i wish they would have just left us alone
Lol right? I've been saying all week that I feel like MCASOM has been gaslighting me.

WL—congrats to those accepted!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
They have begun sending out rejection emails. Interviewed Jan, interviewer never even replied to my thank you email - no other post II communication

• Care
  • Sad
Post-II R, interviewed in October. Good luck to those in the running still! Pretty disappointed since this was one of my top choices, but I anticipated this might happen due to no call last week

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
For people with WL and already sent the letter of intent before the decision, are you sending another one ?

At tthis point, I'm thinking of doing a full-out proposal (ring and all).

Just kidding lol :) Thinking more along the lines of update letter + reiteration of intent. Curious to see what others are thinking. though!

Has anyone who interviewed at Mayo for MSTP recently heard back? I thought Dr. S said she would call us today.

Another great match this year! Post any questions you might have if trying to make a decision!