2020-2021 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the call for the A for MSTP today! Still waiting to get the offer letter to make sure the call was real because I still can't believe it! lol.
WOW!! Congrats! I thought they weren't doing calls till Feb. 22+. What are you doing your PhD in?

Members don't see this ad.

Mayo, will you be my valentine?

The panic is so real...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm able to log in still -- could it be an expired password issue possibly?
when i try to reset it i get a message that says i am unable to reset my password at this time...

gaah this feels like an unofficial rejection

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
when i try to reset it i get a message that says i am unable to reset my password at this time...

gaah this feels like an unofficial rejection

Reminds me of how they show the winner of Hell's Kitchen, one having a locked door and the other unlocked...hah. I'm sure you're just experiencing a technical issue though.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reminds me of how they show the winner of Hell's Kitchen, one having a locked door and the other unlocked...hah. I'm sure you're just experiencing a technical issue though.
i think i would prefer that over having to wait months to get rejected anyway... just lock the door

• Haha
yall! must have been my wifi! I was able to log in now without resetting my password... sorry for any distress!

Members don't see this ad :)
How's everyone feeling?

1613875667242.png

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Alternating hourly between surprisingly chill and completely freaking out. Good luck, everyone!

I can strongly empathize with these feelings. Also, wanted to say that your signature with the 1.5 plants still being alive gave me a chuckle!

I can strongly empathize with these feelings. Also, wanted to say that your signature with the 1.5 plants still being alive gave me a chuckle!
Haha yep. The struggle is so real...

And thanks! This whole process is stressful, so I think we could all use a little chuckle sometimes. My cactus is making a miraculous comeback, so it might now be 1.75 plants that are still alive :)

Just posted this on the AZ thread, but figured I should put it here as well:

Good luck this week and over the next couple of months as decision come out! We're all in this together, and I wish you all the best!

Just a quick PSA:

There is always so much speculation every year regarding communication from Mayo. I think we have a great opportunity to provide a valuable service to future applicants who may read this thread. If you feel inclined to post on this thread after receiving your decision, I think it would be incredibly helpful if you also included any unsolicited post-II communication that you received from Mayo.

For example:
  • "Highly ranked" emails
  • Messages from student/administrators to set up zoom meetings
  • Communication from your interviewers gauging your interest or simply just following up months later
Also, commenting on whether or not you sent a Letter of Interest or Letter of Intent could be quite useful.

Mayo is pretty unique in that they seem to offer a lot of personalized communication with applicants post-II, some think this is random and some think it is calculated. But by offering this information, I think we can provide a lot of insight to future applicants and perhaps demonstrate that there is or is not any kind of correlation with admissions decisions.

Again, best of luck! :)

Reactions: 10 users
Just posted this on the AZ thread, but figured I should put it here as well:

Good luck this week and over the next couple of months as decision come out! We're all in this together, and I wish you all the best!

Just a quick PSA:

There is always so much speculation every year regarding communication from Mayo. I think we have a great opportunity to provide a valuable service to future applicants who may read this thread. If you feel inclined to post on this thread after receiving your decision, I think it would be incredibly helpful if you also included any unsolicited post-II communication that you received from Mayo.

For example:
  • "Highly ranked" emails
  • Messages from student/administrators to set up zoom meetings
  • Communication from your interviewers gauging your interest or simply just following up months later
Also, commenting on whether or not you sent a Letter of Interest or Letter of Intent could be quite useful.

Mayo is pretty unique in that they seem to offer a lot of personalized communication with applicants post-II, some think this is random and some think it is calculated. But by offering this information, I think we can provide a lot of insight to future applicants and perhaps demonstrate that there is or is not any kind of correlation with admissions decisions.

Again, best of luck! :)
Heck yeah. That's a great idea. Noticed they did something similar on the Mayo thread a few years ago. Best of luck, everyone. Sending you all good vibes!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Do we have any idea when they start making calls? Do you think they will call everyone tomorrow?

Do we have any idea when they start making calls? Do you think they will call everyone tomorrow?

From the email:
  • Acceptance phone calls will be made starting February 22.
In terms of how many days they'll be making acceptance phone calls, I don't know, but last year they made acceptance phone calls over 2-3 days I believe. Although last year is when the acceptance email technical error occurred as well so I'm not sure if that's fully representative of a normal process.

• Care
Well, here we go. Deep breaths, everyone (self included lol). And unclench that jaw while you're at it. Regardless of this week's outcome, we all need to be darn proud of making it this far. Best of luck!!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
Eric Andre GIF

(but yes, deep breaths and good luck everyone!)

• Haha
Hoping for good news for us tomorrow!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Folks are getting the call in AZ thread! In last year's MN thread, the first SDN reported call was at 12:13 pm (PST - I think. This time was pulled from the source code and I'm in PST).

1614013836789.png

(anyone else pumped about the new MK trailer...?)

Reactions: 2 users
Folks are getting the call in AZ thread! In last year's MN thread, the first SDN reported call was at 12:13 pm (PST - I think. This time was pulled from the source code and I'm in PST).

View attachment 331002
(anyone else pumped about the new MK trailer...?)
Eeek! Good luck everyone. Hoping we all get some good news today <3

ACCEPTED!!! Dreams can come true! Humbled.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Got the A for MN! Received a personal email from my interviewer a few days after interview and highly ranked email just so people know :)

• Love
Oh and forgot to add the other details.

There was communication between my interviewer and I post interview, received the very highly ranked email, and communicated with one of the Deans of admissions after the very highly ranked email.

ACCEPTED!!! Just got the call from one of my interviewers!!! SO EXCITED I CAN'T EVEN THINK STRAIGHT.

LM 70. Interviewed in November. Sent a letter of intent in December. Received a response to my letter stating that "my application was viewed favorably". Received check in e-mail from one of my interviews. Received highly ranked e-mail.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Congrats everyone!!

Now I’m feeling really silly for having hope after not getting the highly ranked email

• Sad
  • Care
someone from the AZ thread just reported an A with no post-II communication of any kind
Hopefully that counts for us too but I thought they didn’t do highly ranked there. Plus it seems like a lot of calls have already gone out

I think one AZ/FL but haven’t heard anything from MN/FL

Does anyone know if the 2 + 2 MN/FL sent out a highly ranked email?

Does anyone know if the 2 + 2 MN/FL sent out a highly ranked email?
I got one a month or so ago. My interviewer also reached out. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it. You'll get in too!

I got one a month or so ago. My interviewer also reached out. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it. You'll get in too!
I also heard from my interviewer directly a couple of weeks back. Any calls tho yet?

I also heard from my interviewer directly a couple of weeks back. Any calls tho yet?
I am making sure my phone is charged and my cell signal is steady like everyone else.

Do we think they are going in alphabetical order? Or perhaps order of interview?

I interviewed in November. Sent letter of intent in December. Got very highly ranked e-mail. Sent another letter of intent. Connected with someone on Admissions team.

• Hmm
Do we think they are going in alphabetical order? Or perhaps order of interview?

I interviewed in November. Sent letter of intent in December. Got very highly ranked e-mail. Sent another letter of intent. Connected with someone on Admissions team.
Same here... can't seem to focus on anything else today

Reactions: 3 users
I have a theory:

I believe the highly ranked email is their rough draft of an incoming class and is only sent to the number of seats they plan to matriculate. This is in reference to MN campus, only (although this logic could apply to the AZ/2+2's, also).

Applicants are ranked in advance. If you have already sent a LOIntent, it will keep you where you are. Moving from LOInterest (or no letter) to LOIntent (or LOInterest respectively) may move you up a spot. No letter may move you down a spot. This may shift lower ranked candidates out of the ranking and thus off of the rough draft. There also may be candidates that have accepted offers elsewhere and will use this opportunity to withdraw (although this seems less likely as most folks want to see who offers the best FA package). As we all know from writing our applications, the rough draft is never the final copy.

This would explain people getting the A in the first week of decisions without receiving the highly ranked email. According to the Post-II A Data from last year, they accepted 172 for a class of 102. If my theory is correct, that means there are a lot of folks that will be seeing an A or WL->A that never received a highly ranked email.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Care
OK...things are too quiet...Hoping they're stiill calling!

Reactions: 5 users
Got the call at 8:30 AM CST from my student interviewer. I think when the calls will be distributed is based on the person calling you Eg maybe the Faculty interviewer is available in the evening so some people will get calls later than others. So, probably not alphabetical.

background:
1. Interviewed in November (and sent thank you cards)
2. Had a post interview student reach out to zoom call to ask more questions in December
3. Sent letter of interest after the post-interview student told me I should around January 12th
4. Got an email asking to send updates since interviews have concluded on Jan 21st
5. had my faculty interviewer reach out on January 22nd
6. Got the highly ranked email feb 2nd
7. Sent another letter of interest that pretty much said the same thing around February 4th(?)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Just a quick word from a current Mayo student - as calls go out, do not spend one second of your time or ounce of your energy trying to read the tea leaves of who is getting what call when or what that means for you. I tried to do that during my cycle, had abandoned all hope of getting in, and then got the call VERY late one night aftee I had convinced myself it was over. So while it’s next to impossible to be patient, try to get your mind off it.

Since I happened to read this, if anyone who applied or has heard happy mews by getting a call, if you have questions about what Mayo’s like, feel free to message me. Happy to chat.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Just a quick word from a current Mayo student - as calls go out, do not spend one second of your time or ounce of your energy trying to read the tea leaves of who is getting what call when or what that means for you. I tried to do that during my cycle, had abandoned all hope of getting in, and then got the call VERY late one night aftee I had convinced myself it was over. So while it’s next to impossible to be patient, try to get your mind off it.

Since I happened to read this, if anyone who applied or has heard happy mews by getting a call, if you have questions about what Mayo’s like, feel free to message me. Happy to chat.
Fell into the trap! Thanks for the reminder (and for the hope!)

Anyone from 2+2 MN/FL had a phone call yet?