2019-2020 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I cant imagine how a future doctor can be so insensitive towards his future peers
Amazing

"the three hour window between the error and beginning their correction, was a lightning fast reaction by Mayo."

Had to have been a troll

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 16 users
"the three hour window between the error and beginning their correction, was a lightning fast reaction by Mayo."

Had to have been a troll
"It's no doubt that many of you didn't make it...what are your grades and test scores worth when you all seem to have the situational resilience of toddlers."
Audacity...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
tbh guys you just need to suck it up. bad things happen, and that is life. i feel for you (no i don't lol).

-guy with 15 acceptances

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Most inappropriate and insensitive response of the entire thread
Wow just wow

Dear Accepted FeLung

1) I see why it took you 2 cycles to get in

2) God I'm glad I don't have to be your classmate in a class of 50 students

Mayo is not the place for me if they're accepting people like you

• Dislike
Reactions: 18 users
I would like to apologise to everyone for my comment. I deleted it because it was too strongly worded. I posted it because I was shocked at the people who said they were yelling at the students calling them and I felt that those trying to report them for FERPA violations and start a lawsuit against Mayo were way too extreme.

I understand everyone must be very upset and shaken after being taunted by a false acceptance. I would certainly have been too. You have every right to express your frustrations about this tragic mistake.

I can guarantee you that everyone at Mayo feels just as bad. That is why they appear to be pullIng out all the stops to try and set things right. The point of my message was that if people would accept the apologies and help they are willing to give instead of spitting in their face, they may see a better resolution.

What is unnacceptable to me is that people are tearing into the students calling them and posting here trying to help. How would you feel if people were chewing you out, trying to harm your reputation, and even attempting to get you into legal trouble all because you volunteered to help remedy a situation that you didn't cause?

My post was a bad idea because it was worded too strongly and posted at the absolute wrong time. My point still stands though that upsetting things like this will unfortunately happen in a medical career and we all need to show better poise.

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 21 users
I would like to apologise to everyone for my comment. I deleted it because it was too strongly worded. I posted it because I was shocked at the people who said they were yelling at the students calling them and I felt that those trying to report them for FERPA violations and start a lawsuit against Mayo were way too extreme.

I understand everyone must be very upset and shaken after being taunted by a false acceptance. I would certainly have been too. You have every right to express your frustrations about this tragic mistake.

I can guarantee you that everyone at Mayo feels just as bad. That is why they appear to be pullIng out all the stops to try and set things right. The point of my message was that if people would accept the apologies and help they are willing to give instead of spitting in their face, they may see a better resolution.

What is unnacceptable to me is that people are tearing into the students calling them and posting here trying to help. How would you feel if people were chewing you out, trying to harm your reputation, and even attempting to get you into legal trouble all because you volunteered to help remedy a situation that you didn't cause?

My post was a bad idea because it was worded too strongly and posted at the absolute wrong time. My point still stands though that upsetting things like this will unfortunately happen in a medical career and we all need to show better poise.

Just take the L dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 16 users
Just take the L dude. Don't come at us with this weak **** apologizing but then not apologizing. You are extremely insensitive, unempathetic, and downright mean.

I am sorry that I have come off that way. I will try to improve my apology.

• Inappropriate
  • Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I am sorry that I have come off that way. I will try to improve my apology.

You really can't. Because you're not apologizing. You don't admit that you're wrong - just that you worded it badly. The actual sentiments you expressed are insensitive, and no amount of word wizardry is going to change that.

• Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
You really can't. Because you're not apologizing. You don't admit that you're wrong - just that you worded it badly. The actual sentiments you expressed are insensitive, and no amount of word wizardry is going to change that.

My sentiments are that people have every right to be upset. I just don't think that they should seek to harm medical students and a medical institution that a few days ago they held in high regard, as a result of being upset.

Reactions: 1 user
My sentiments are that people have every right to be upset. I just don't think that they should seek to harm medical students and a medical institution that a few days ago they held in high regard, as a result of being upset.

If you hold someone in high regard, and then they basically destroy you emotionally through their own incompetence...and then they don't apologize. You have the right to change your mind and hold them responsible. You may choose to go through life letting others walk all over you, but I for one refuse to.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

"An apology without change is simply manipulation."

Either back off of your opinion, or don't call it an apology.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you hold someone in high regard, and then they basically destroy you emotionally through their own incompetence...and then they don't apologize. You have the right to change your mind and hold them responsible. You may choose to go through life letting others walk all over you, but I for one refuse to.

It has only been two days. Maybe they are working on providing solutions to all the individual problems this has caused.

You may also see a better apology coming out after they have had time to focus of these individual problems, as well as write a better one than mine.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
I'm schleep bro it sounds like Mr. Doctor Professor MemeLord has entered the room :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I stand by FeLung’s original comment. The mob mentality is sickening. You can’t placate these people. No remedy will ever be good enough. They are entirely consumed up in their own feelings of indignation, slaves to their emotions. A lesson is stoicism would do this crowd wonders.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 19 users
Woah baby now there's two!!! Ima grab some popcorn

• Haha
The irony in people getting worked up over other people being worked up... :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
I stand by FeLung’s original comment. The mob mentality is sickening. You can’t placate these people. No remedy will ever be good enough. They are entirely consumed up in their own feelings of indignation, slaves to their emotions. A lesson is stoicism would do this crowd wonders.
LMAO I cannot tell if this is sarcasm

Overall, everything is leading to comments/applicants and their responses reflecting poorly on the school and it’s applicants. Wouldn’t be surprised if this thread got locked.

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Overall, everything is leading to comments/applicants and their responses reflecting poorly on the school and it’s applicants. Wouldn’t be surprised if this thread got locked.

Right? This is just a sad state of affairs for all involved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
"An apology without change is simply manipulation."

Either back off of your opinion, or don't call it an apology.

I fully redact that people should not be upset. Making statements resembling this is what I am apologizing for.

Many hearts are certainly broken after this incident. Not only that, but I am sure for many it caused a major problem in their application cycle, causing them to be uncertain about the future.

What I am saying though is that if you work with Mayo and your other schools, I am confident the later can be resolved. No school, that you would want to go to, would refuse to be understanding given the circumstances.

• Okay...
  • Hmm
Signing off, but everyone should just step away for a little bit and enjoy the Saturday
1581787093218.gif

• Love
Reactions: 12 users

Just can’t help but watch. Ugh, it’s like getting sucked into a Twitter war. There are no winners. I’ve gotta unwatch this thread now.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 2 users
I fully redact that people should not be upset. Making statements resembling this is what I am apologizing for.

Many hearts are certainly broken after this incident. Not only that, but I am sure for many it caused a major problem in their application cycle, causing them to be uncertain about the future.

What I am saying though is that if you work with Mayo and your other schools, I am confident the later can be resolved. No school, that you would want to go to, would refuse to be understanding given the circumstances.

Thanks for the clarification. I still think that sending Mayo to Mayo is funny.

ah what was the remedy??? sending a cold email hours later and then asking medical students to read a scripted apology ?
Come on
You have no idea what any of us have gone through and the hardships we have endured to get where we are
I am 100 % upset at the lack of professionalism

• Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
I have watched so many posts get taken down by mods today that I am starting to question everything...
Actually, only two were removed by moderators yesterday. Both were for Terms of Service violations, not opinions.
The rest were removed by the posters themselves, as is their privilege.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
**People reading this thread as it unfolded Thursday and yesterday**
L-li-Zou52h54TFBriDj2vfkBK1heCHrhoWUKKS1g0s.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Guys you should just be stoics and not let anything disturb you. If you let yourself feel emotion, you become a slave and "immature". I think we're getting a lesson in toxic masculinity to go along w/ the PR disaster of mayo students trying to explain to us how we should feel.

• Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 17 users
Guys you should just be stoics and not let anything disturb you. If you let yourself feel emotion, you become a slave and "immature". I think we're getting a lesson in toxic masculinity to go along w/ the PR disaster of mayo students trying to explain to us how we should feel.

"Ancient stoics are often misunderstood because the terms they used pertained to different concepts than today. The word "stoic" has since come to mean "unemotional" or indifferent to pain because Stoic ethics taught freedom from "passion" by following "reason". The Stoics did not seek to extinguish emotions; rather, they sought to transform them by a resolute "askēsis", that enables a person to develop clear judgment and inner calm.[29] Logic, reflection, and concentration were the methods of such self-discipline, temperance is split into self-control, discipline and modesty."

- Wikipedia

• Dislike
  • Okay...
"Ancient stoics are often misunderstood because the terms they used pertained to different concepts than today. The word "stoic" has since come to mean "unemotional" or indifferent to pain because Stoic ethics taught freedom from "passion" by following "reason". The Stoics did not seek to extinguish emotions; rather, they sought to transform them by a resolute "askēsis", that enables a person to develop clear judgment and inner calm.[29] Logic, reflection, and concentration were the methods of such self-discipline, temperance is split into self-control, discipline and modesty."

- Wikipedia

omg quoting wikipedia doesn't make you smart.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

- Wikipedia
This is a prime example of being book smart but having no clue with showing empathy/sympathy. It's making you look bad. Have some semblance of shame.

• Dislike
Reactions: 12 users

maybe you should quit while you're behind?

• Dislike
Can we please stop arguing with each other? It isn't doing anyone any good.

Reactions: 8 users

- Wikipedia

I just withdrew as well [because of my dislike of the idea of attending med school with certain people?] (hoping moderators let this one slide)

Also I wanted to say that I naively hoped that this could be a stepping stone to address something bigger, not just Mayo, but this whole s*** show of a process. Imagining the pre-meds I'm mentoring having a set date to hear back about IIs, one for As, WLs, and Rs, imagining not having spent the last 8 months refreshing my email... I'm getting turned on just thinking about it... and I know I'm just scratching the surface here

But instead we get to pick petty fights.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
I am also WL'ed, but I will be withdrawing my application from Mayo. I expected them to send a more formal apology via email this week and that never happened. I appreciate the phone call, but would have preferred to hear from someone higher up like Dr. Fischer. I also sent a loi to mayo, but this whole situation has changed my perception of the school. I thought they were a supportive community who cared about others. However, I think they care more about appearing supportive than actually being supportive. They care about their reputation above all else (ironic considering what Dr. Fischer said on interview day). I don't want to be that type of physician. Research shows less malpractice suits for physicians that patients like. I want patients to like me at the end of the day and I will be honest with my mistakes. I don't think I can become that type of doctor at Mayo and am not going to let prestige and school rank sway me otherwise.

+1

Reactions: 4 users