2019-2020 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the question,
  • What unique feature of SOMA appeals to you? What specific feature of SOMA concerns you?
Would it be a problem to address multiple features that appeal to me? since it says feature (singular) or does it not matter?
I wrote about two things for the positive and one "negative".

Members don't see this ad.

I sent the admissions staff an email about the secondary question that asks about free clinics and this is what they said, “Yes, if you do not have any experience with CHC's, please feel free to write about other experience with the underserved. “

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any more input on this? I don't have any experience with a free clinic or community health.

Same boat here. Really lost.

I just called the office of admissions, and they confirmed that they are only looking for volunteer clinical experiences. He said for other clinical experiences that are paid positions, they will just look on the AACOMAS app.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone got the "complete and ready to be reviewed" email yet after sending in the secondary?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone got the "complete and ready to be reviewed" email yet after sending in the secondary?

Not yet but I only submitted it yesterday and they said it will take up to 2 weeks to process. Did you receive that email? If so, how long after submitting your secondary did you get it?

I received that email from SOMA and KCOM on 6/24, submitted secondary on 6/20.

Not yet but I only submitted it yesterday and they said it will take up to 2 weeks to process. Did you receive that email? If so, how long after submitting your secondary did you get it?
I haven't yet either. I was going to ask the same thing . I only submitted recently though too

I received that email from SOMA and KCOM on 6/24, submitted secondary on 6/20.
Okay well that's good, sounds like it may not take the full two weeks then.

On a different note, does anyone know how or if their class expansion this year might affect admissions? Hopefully it plays in our favor

I'm not sure what's taking them so long with my application. I submitted on 06/25 and checked my status earlier, still missing test scores (sent to AACOMAS in May), LoR's (sent to AACOMAS three weeks ago), and application fee (requested waiver one week ago). Ugh :(

I'm not sure what's taking them so long with my application. I submitted on 06/25 and checked my status earlier, still missing test scores (sent to AACOMAS in May), LoR's (sent to AACOMAS three weeks ago), and application fee (requested waiver one week ago). Ugh :(
Same here for LoR and test scores. Hopefully we'll get some more updates this upcoming week.

Or not because July 4th but hey who knows

Members don't see this ad :)
For questions 1 and 2, do we need to answer both questions or can we pick a strength/weakness or appealing feature vs concerning feature? Or do we need to pick both and speak on both the good and the bad so to speak?

I have never shadowed a DO before (but have a TON of MD shadowing/clinical exposure/am currently a medical scribe), but have 3 different opportunities that are going to be set up within the next couple of months. Should I hold off on submitting this secondary since it specifically asks about DO experiences?? Would it help me more to submit the secondary now without experiences or submit in a couple of months with experiences? Thanks!

I have never shadowed a DO before (but have a TON of MD shadowing/clinical exposure/am currently a medical scribe), but have 3 different opportunities that are going to be set up within the next couple of months. Should I hold off on submitting this secondary since it specifically asks about DO experiences?? Would it help me more to submit the secondary now without experiences or submit in a couple of months with experiences? Thanks!
I applied to this school last year with no DO shadowing or experience and was offered an interview. Ultimately I was waitlisted but not sure if that was because of the DO or just poor interviewing skills? Do whatever you think is best but remember it is rolling admissions. You can always update your application and even tell them in the secondary you are planning to shadow a DO or whatever you'll be doing in the next few months.

I applied to this school last year with no DO shadowing or experience and was offered an interview. Ultimately I was waitlisted but not sure if that was because of the DO or just poor interviewing skills? Do whatever you think is best but remember it is rolling admissions. You can always update your application and even tell them in the secondary you are planning to shadow a DO or whatever you'll be doing in the next few months.
I really appreciate this response thank you!

I just called the office of admissions, and they confirmed that they are only looking for volunteer clinical experiences. He said for other clinical experiences that are paid positions, they will just look on the AACOMAS app.
So that means we probably shouldn't include shadowing here either?

So I am starting orientation (year 1) in a week at ATSU-SOMA, and I still don't know the class schedule.

I am better with webcast/video learning rather than in-person classroom learning. I wanted to know if all lectures are mandatory or if not all, which ones are mandatory, and what days.

Thanks!

"What specific feature of SOMA concerns you?"

Has anyone answered this? The only "negative" I can think of is the heat coming from Chicago, but it seems like a cop out. Idk how to go about answering this in a way that doesn't directly reflect negatively on the school.

"What specific feature of SOMA concerns you?"

Has anyone answered this? The only "negative" I can think of is the heat coming from Chicago, but it seems like a cop out. Idk how to go about answering this in a way that doesn't directly reflect negatively on the school.

I struggled with this one too. Ultimately, I asked myself these questions and came up with some decent answers:

Is there an aspect about the curriculum that might be a struggle for you? Is there something about their program that would be new for you and require adaptation?

Either way, if you bring up a concern about the program, always make sure to describe how you would overcome that concern and make the situation better.

The past two years they review everything on Tuesdays so you should hear typically on that day or potentially Wednesday.

Complete notification on 7/3.

Anyone think they'll start giving IIs out this week?

Complete notification on 7/3.

Anyone think they'll start giving IIs out this week?
Looking at last year's thread, it seems that II's started coming out July 19th. But, it also looks like maybe they were verified later and submitted secondaries later? Not too sure. The ones I saw were verified and submitted in the beginning of July and I sent mine in 6/20 so..... we will have to wait and see!

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received 6/18
Verified 5/23

Same as last year:
1. Describe your activities during any gaps longer than 3 months in your college or postgraduate record.
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

2. Describe your experiences with osteopathic physicians. Have you ever shadowed a DO, if not explain why? Do you have a letter of recommendation from a DO, if not explain why?
(Please limit your response to 500 words or less. All information provided in this section must be the original work of the applicant and not from another author.)

3. Describe your understanding of SOMA by answering one of the following questions:
  • What unique feature of SOMA appeals to you? What specific feature of SOMA concerns you?
  • What would be your strongest attribute as a SOMA student? What would be your weakest?
  • How do you plan to be involved with medically underserved populations in your medical career? How have your past volunteer experiences influenced your plans?

4. Please list any changes or updates to your AACOMAS application. This section may be left blank if your AACOMAS application is complete and accurate.

@PapaGuava

For the clinical experience section for experience are they expecting us to COPY AND REPASTE our entire AACOMAS application again??

For the clinical experience section are they expecting us to COPY AND REPASTE our entire AACOMAS application again??

I think it's just your clinical experiences! Some schools also ask this on their secondaries, so I saved it on a Google doc so I could just transfer it. It's also a little more than the original app as you can talk about the experiences more if you'd like! It's time consuming but good luck~

SO to be clear, we can NOT put shadowing experiences under the clinical experiences sections for the secondary?

SO to be clear, we can NOT put shadowing experiences under the clinical experiences sections for the secondary?
I’ve read conflicting anecdotes on this sub. However, I called the SOMA admissions office, and the gal I spoke with said to just list all clinical experience. Volunteer or compensated

I’ve read conflicting anecdotes on this sub. However, I called the SOMA admissions office, and the gal I spoke with said to just list all clinical experience. Volunteer or compensated

That's extremely weird. I called SOMA around 7/1 or 7/2, and they said "only VOLUNTEER experiences." I discussed my scribing experience as being categorized as a paid clinical experience, but they stated they didn't want that information.

That's extremely weird. I called SOMA around 7/1 or 7/2, and they said "only VOLUNTEER experiences." I discussed my scribing experience as being categorized as a paid clinical experience, but they stated they didn't want that information.
I interpreted it strictly and put only non-paid volunteer experiences.

Yeah I’m not sure. I literally called yesterday though and ended up listing all clinical experience

I listed all clinical experiences both paid and unpaid. I applied here a couple years ago and got an interview, so I just assumed to do the same for this cycle. If it's changed, hopefully it doesn't hinder my app though. That'd be a bummer

Here's to hoping this will be the week!

Reactions: 3 users

Wearing this shirt today for good luck! :D C'mon ATSU-SOMA!

Reactions: 2 users
"List any other, specifically community-service-type, programs in which you have participated (if any). Any (principally non-medical) activity that is non-compensated and volunteer, other than observation/shadowing, is acceptable. Must be verifiable."

Does anyone know what's considered verifiable? Most of my volunteer can be verified over the phone/email by a supervisor, but for a lot of projects that I essentially organized myself I only have contact info for other participants. I don't have any letters or legitimate proof.

"List any other, specifically community-service-type, programs in which you have participated (if any). Any (principally non-medical) activity that is non-compensated and volunteer, other than observation/shadowing, is acceptable. Must be verifiable."

Does anyone know what's considered verifiable? Most of my volunteer can be verified over the phone/email by a supervisor, but for a lot of projects that I essentially organized myself I only have contact info for other participants. I don't have any letters or legitimate proof.

That's what it means. I think they just don't want you to say you did something by yourself and nobody else knew about it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you put it down and get an interview, be prepared to talk about it fluently (especially since it is not as easily verifiable).

secondary received.

Does anyone have this as a secondary question?
Describe your experience with Community Health Centers or free clinics (500 words or less).

Yes, I do and I have no idea how to answer this questions b/c I have no experience with Community Health Centers or free clinics. I am talking about how I have been a volunteer EMT and how that relates but still this is an oddly specific question

SOMA is my top choice by far. Hoping to hear something soon!

Reactions: 2 users