2019-2020 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It looks like the committee sends out acceptances on Thursdays right? lol trying to wait it out, but so anxious.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
It looks like the committee sends out acceptances on Thursdays right? lol trying to wait it out, but so anxious.

I got my phone call Friday afternoon but I also noticed that they often call about acceptances on Thursdays

For any current ATSU students, what kind of opportunities are there for medical mission trips throughout the summers or during the semester breaks? Also how long are the breaks in the fall and spring?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also for any current ATSU students, what are your opinions about starting classes two weeks early/before anyone else?
Was it nice to settle in a couple of weeks early for classes before other students showed up?
Is starting that many weeks early worth being able to "ease into" the class schedule and not have as many courses to start your first semester?

Reactions: 1 users
yikes, interviewed same day... not looking too good.
Don’t think that way! I’ve popped through this thread and some people waited 4 weeks for an acceptance! If you don’t hear tomorrow then you will hear after the new year when they are back!

:/ I don’t know if this makes a difference but they contacted me at the time of day I said I was available for calls.
I don’t even remember what I put honestly but I’m holding out hope for tomorrow!

Thank you
Don’t think that way! I’ve popped through this thread and some people waited 4 weeks for an acceptance! If you don’t hear tomorrow then you will hear after the new year when they are back!
!

This might be a long shot, but I want to start thinking about where I want to end up if (by God's grace) I am accepted to both KCU-Joplin and ATSU. I loved both of the programs when I interviewed, but there are a couple of things that I didn't ask at ATSU that I realized would help me in the decision.
-What are the potential employment opportunities for spouses in Kirksville?
- Does tuition increase at all throughout the years, or does it remain the same from year one on?

I also would love any input from others who have experience at both campuses and could give me some insight as to why you chose one over the other. In terms of ATSU, I love the more established program compared to KCU, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't much more established... Thanks in advance!

4th year here.

I can’t really comment on the potential employment opportunities for spouses. I do know there is a great support system for spouses through the school and there were many people in my class with spouses. I think ultimately it might depend on what your spouse does/wants to do for work.

I can tell you that yes, tuition has gone up every year I have been a student.

Something I didn’t completely understand when I was in your position was how important 3rd/4th year clerkship sites were. Try and look into your options for your clerkships at both schools. Important questions to ask are how many are with residency programs (there is a rule that at least 1 must be with a residency program). Whether or not your core rotations are scheduled for you. And if you have to pay for any rotations.

Hope this is helpful!

For any current ATSU students, what kind of opportunities are there for medical mission trips throughout the summers or during the semester breaks? Also how long are the breaks in the fall and spring?

There is an international Med club/elective. Since I’ve been a student they’ve been to Nicaragua and then I think somewhere in Africa. You do have to pay for the elective but I’m not sure how much. The people that did it seemed to have a great time!

Fall break 1st/2nd year is a week. Winter break 1st/2nd/3rd year is 2 weeks. Summer after 1st year is 6 weeks but you spend 2 weeks doing a preceptorship. Summer after 2nd year was recently increased to I believe 8 weeks for boards and moving to clinical sites(may be wrong).

Members don't see this ad :)
There is an international Med club/elective. Since I’ve been a student they’ve been to Nicaragua and then I think somewhere in Africa. You do have to pay for the elective but I’m not sure how much. The people that did it seemed to have a great time!

Fall break 1st/2nd year is a week. Winter break 1st/2nd/3rd year is 2 weeks. Summer after 1st year is 6 weeks but you spend 2 weeks doing a preceptorship. Summer after 2nd year was recently increased to I believe 8 weeks for boards and moving to clinical sites(may be wrong).
Are you overall satisfied with your choice of attending atsu?

Are you overall satisfied with your choice of attending atsu?

I am, yeah! Sorry if my answers came off otherwise. I think Kirksville lent itself to the opportunity to be really close with your classmates and going through boards and most of my clerkships I can say I was given a very solid foundation of knowledge.

4th year here.

I can’t really comment on the potential employment opportunities for spouses. I do know there is a great support system for spouses through the school and there were many people in my class with spouses. I think ultimately it might depend on what your spouse does/wants to do for work.

I can tell you that yes, tuition has gone up every year I have been a student.

Something I didn’t completely understand when I was in your position was how important 3rd/4th year clerkship sites were. Try and look into your options for your clerkships at both schools. Important questions to ask are how many are with residency programs (there is a rule that at least 1 must be with a residency program). Whether or not your core rotations are scheduled for you. And if you have to pay for any rotations.

Hope this is helpful!
All of that was super helpful! Can you comment on how clerkships/rotation sites are set up at ATSU? It wasn't super clear in the curriculum discussion during the interview day, and I forgot to ask about it while I was there!

Couple of questions, any answers are appreciated!

1. My deposit deadline is January 4th. Have not sent in yet, but just saw KCOM post they are out of office until January 6th. Am I okay as long as I send my deposit in by the 4th even though they will not be there that day?
2. Tuition seems to have increased every year for many years. Can any students elaborate if they feel these increases go towards things to improve student life / education?
3. There’s been a few posts about clinical sites, but just seeing if anyone has a review of theirs 3/4th year experiences and if they seemed to prepare well.

Couple of questions, any answers are appreciated!

1. My deposit deadline is January 4th. Have not sent in yet, but just saw KCOM post they are out of office until January 6th. Am I okay as long as I send my deposit in by the 4th even though they will not be there that day?
2. Tuition seems to have increased every year for many years. Can any students elaborate if they feel these increases go towards things to improve student life / education?
3. There’s been a few posts about clinical sites, but just seeing if anyone has a review of theirs 3/4th year experiences and if they seemed to prepare well.
I paid the deposit online and it was instant. You should be good.

Can you place our deposit on the deadline day? Or would you recommend putting down the deposit the night before in case the deadline is the morning of that date?
I wouldn’t risk it. FWIW though, I paid mine and got immediate confirmation. So I don’t think there’s a delay. Still, I wouldn’t risk it.

Did they email you? When did you submit your secondary?
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:

Submitted my secondary last week and got the email marking my app as complete yesterday!
Is A.T. Still University Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine still interviewing for this year's class or have they closed interview offers?

Can any current ATSU students comment on how to rotation sites/clerkships 3rd and 4th year are set up?

Are the core rotations scheduled for us, or will we need to schedule those after we figure out where we matched to for the clerkship site?
Do we have to pay for any rotations during the 3rd and 4th year clerkship times?

Is A.T. Still University Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine still interviewing for this year's class or have they closed interview offers?
Yes they are. I got an interview there scheduled for the 1/27th and there were interview dates up until the end of February.

Yes they are. I got an interview there scheduled for the 1/27th and there were interview dates up until the end of February.
Also could anyone tell me about Step 1 scores and how well the school curriculum prepares you for COMLEX 1 and STEP 1 exams? I understand it’s based on how hard you put in work, but does the curriculum prepares you well?

Accepted! Interviewed 12/13
Interviewed the same day. Thought they said we won't hear back for at least 4 weeks since the school will be closed for winter break, so I've been staying away from this thread. Now I'm scared.

Interviewed the same day. Thought they said we won't hear back for at least 4 weeks since the school will be closed for winter break, so I've been staying away from this thread. Now I'm scared.
People’s times vary. Your interviewers fill out a sheet while you are interviewing and some turn it in quicker than others I would guess. I was accepted 2 weeks later than others that interviewed my same day. I wouldn’t worry.

Don't worry just like @diamondkings said, I have looked at this threat and saw some people waiting a while and getting A, and some people getting a R within a week, so don't worry.

Also were you in the AM or PM group? I wonder if we met :)

Don't worry just like @diamondkings said, I have looked at this threat and saw some people waiting a while and getting A, and some people getting a R within a week, so don't worry.

Also were you in the AM or PM group? I wonder if we met :)
Possibly the PM group. The email had our start time at 11:45 AM, but I also didn't really see a group before us. Good chance we just missed each other though.

Possibly the PM group. The email had our start time at 11:45 AM, but I also didn't really see a group before us. Good chance we just missed each other though.
Yeah, mine was in the morning! So yeah we missed each other!

they sent me an email saying that due to the competitive pool that i'll hear back on jan 24 at the latest for a decision.

either way, i'll be turning down the A if I get accepted / or if i get declined, good luck to all of y'all!

they sent me an email saying that due to the competitive pool that i'll hear back on jan 24 at the latest for a decision.

either way, i'll be turning down the A if I get accepted / or if i get declined, good luck to all of y'all!

I got the same thing and I interviewed on 11/8.

I got the same thing and I interviewed on 11/8.
good luck to you! i personally didn't like the school or the town (not because of the size, it just felt empty) and i didn't really click with any of the current students that were speaking with us.

but good luck to you! sending good vibes your way!

Is paying the deposit a commitment? I still have a few more interviews

Define “commitment”... does paying your deposit mean you have a saved seat? Yeah. Does paying mean that you can’t attend other interviews or decide to attend another school? No, just that you (in this case) won’t be getting money back. I’m doing the same thing rn and I’m sure many other applicants do as well. I would just say don’t go around putting down multiple deposits.

Hope you all are having a nice 2020 so far :) !! I have an interview coming up next month, but for those who have interviewed how many OMM training hours are integrated into the curriculum? The more the better, since I am really enthusiastic about becoming a D.O. that plans to specialize in OMM/NMM.

Hope you all are having a nice 2020 so far :) !! I have an interview coming up next month, but for those who have interviewed how many OMM training hours are integrated into the curriculum? The more the better, since I am really enthusiastic about becoming a D.O. that plans to specialize in OMM/NMM.
Hey! It’s 4 hours/week

There are 400 total hours integrated into the curriculum which is double compared to most DO schools. Which is amazing.

Can any current ATSU students comment on how to rotation sites/clerkships 3rd and 4th year are set up?

Are the core rotations scheduled for us, or will we need to schedule those after we figure out where we matched to for the clerkship site?
Do we have to pay for any rotations during the 3rd and 4th year clerkship times?

The third year core rotations are set up for you by the rotation site you match to, and you don't have to pay for them. The fourth year rotations you have to schedule yourself because your schedule is more variable based on what field you're going in to and what audition rotations/electives you want to do. You still have to four core required rotations fourth year: family medicine, emergency medicine, ICU, and neurology/ortho/OMM. These are the four rotations you don't have to pay for fourth year. You also have three additional required rotations fourth year including a life cycle one which is either peds, women's health or geriatrics, a internal medicine subspecialty rotation, and a surgical subspecialty, but these are not paid for by the school because they are considered "selectives" since they can be in lots of different fields. Your electives are also not paid for fourth year. This means if there is a hospital fee or the physician charges a fee for the rotation, the student has to pay for it fourth year if it is not one of the four required rotations, and this fee is in addition to your tuition. This isn't a big deal at some of the rotation sites, but other sites have hospital fees up to $500 or more for a month-long rotation.

Reactions: 4 users
The third year core rotations are set up for you by the rotation site you match to, and you don't have to pay for them. The fourth year rotations you have to schedule yourself because your schedule is more variable based on what field you're going in to and what audition rotations/electives you want to do. You still have to four core required rotations fourth year: family medicine, emergency medicine, ICU, and neurology/ortho/OMM. These are the four rotations you don't have to pay for fourth year. You also have three additional required rotations fourth year including a life cycle one which is either peds, women's health or geriatrics, a internal medicine subspecialty rotation, and a surgical subspecialty, but these are not paid for by the school because they are considered "selectives" since they can be in lots of different fields. Your electives are also not paid for fourth year. This means if there is a hospital fee or the physician charges a fee for the rotation, the student has to pay for it fourth year if it is not one of the four required rotations, and this fee is in addition to your tuition. This isn't a big deal at some of the rotation sites, but other sites have hospital fees up to $500 or more for a month-long rotation.
How many students stay in Kirksville for rotations? And are there more rotations in larger cities than spots available in Kirksville?

How many students stay in Kirksville for rotations? And are there more rotations in larger cities than spots available in Kirksville?

I think the number of spots in Kirksville recently went down from 12 to 10. There are much larger sites, the largest being Arizona which increased from 25 to 40 this past year. St. Louis is the second largest and Livonia, Michigan is the third. There is also a newer site in Texas which took 10 of the current 3rd years.

I think the number of spots in Kirksville recently went down from 12 to 10. There are much larger sites, the largest being Arizona which increased from 25 to 40 this past year. St. Louis is the second largest and Livonia, Michigan is the third. There is also a newer site in Texas which took 10 of the current 3rd years.
Thank you! Do you know how many spots are available for Salt Lake City? One of the sites I would really like to go to.

Thank you! Do you know how many spots are available for Salt Lake City? One of the sites I would really like to go to.
Utah rotations include 3 spots in Salt Lake, 4 Provo and 3 Logan. Just a side note, numbers seem to change on a yearly basis.

Got II recently, so humbled and honored to come to the founding school of Osteopathic Medicine :D. Can anyone comment on whether or not late February interviews will be for waitlist spots?

Got II recently, so humbled and honored to come to the founding school of Osteopathic Medicine :D. Can anyone comment on whether or not late February interviews will be for waitlist spots? Don’t know how this cycle is, but I will say that some of us that interviewed in these early year months (Jan-Feb) did get off and matriculated that cycle.
Congrats on the II! Definitely deserve it, so i would say it all depends. A little background, I was accepted last cycle after not being taken off the pending seat list. I interviewed early/mid February and when I attended the admissions rep told all of us that all of the seats in the upcoming class was full and that we would be interviewing for the waitlist/APS list.

Got II recently, so humbled and honored to come to the founding school of Osteopathic Medicine :D. Can anyone comment on whether or not late February interviews will be for waitlist spots?

Congrats! I also got an II today!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Congrats on the II! Definitely deserve it, so i would say it all depends. A little background, I was accepted last cycle after not being taken off the pending seat list. I interviewed early/mid February and when I attended the admissions rep told all of us that all of the seats in the upcoming class was full and that we would be interviewing for the waitlist/APS list.

Thank you for your input, seems like us late interviewees will be gunning for waitlist spots afterall.

II on 02/14! Does anyone know if there's uber? or how to get around Kirksville? Deciding which airport to fly into and wondering if ill still need a rental car if flying directly to Kirksville