2019-2020 A.T. Still University (Kirksville, Missouri) ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For current KCOM students-
To begin, I am SO SORRY that you are all dealing with the repercussions of COVID-19, and that those issues from this virus are manifesting in attending online courses while you finish this year! I can't even imagine how challenging that has made an already difficult experience! But remember, YOU'VE GOT THIS!!!

- At the same time, I wanted to see if anyone knew anything about how ATSU KCOM is/will be handling the upcoming year in terms of online stuff still continuing due to COVID? Should we still be planning on coming to campus in July and starting classes in a lecture hall, or should we get mentally prepared to have our courses be taught virtually for the first few weeks or even for the first semester?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
i'm scared thinking about starting med school online :(

Members don't see this ad :)
For current KCOM students-
To begin, I am SO SORRY that you are all dealing with the repercussions of COVID-19, and that those issues from this virus are manifesting in attending online courses while you finish this year! I can't even imagine how challenging that has made an already difficult experience! But remember, YOU'VE GOT THIS!!!

- At the same time, I wanted to see if anyone knew anything about how ATSU KCOM is/will be handling the upcoming year in terms of online stuff still continuing due to COVID? Should we still be planning on coming to campus in July and starting classes in a lecture hall, or should we get mentally prepared to have our courses be taught virtually for the first few weeks or even for the first semester?
Thanks!

i'm scared thinking about starting med school online :(

I'm praying we don't :(

On the accepted students Facebook there is a little comment on one of the posts I believe, saying the dean plans to continue with in person class for the summer. Forgot exactly where I heard it (I think it was a link) but when I did I got the impression it was a fairly official plan. We were told to proceed with moving and housing as usual, thankfully:)

Reactions: 2 users
On the accepted students Facebook there is a little comment on one of the posts I believe, saying the dean plans to continue with in person class for the summer. Forgot exactly where I heard it (I think it was a link) but when I did I got the impression it was a fairly official plan. We were told to proceed with moving and housing as usual, thankfully:)

yea it was on the FB and I think I remember getting the videoo_O:

Hello Class of 2024, I am the new Social Connections Coordinator for this upcoming year, and I am sure you all have many questions in regards to the upcoming school year in the midst of COVID-19. Yesterday afternoon our Dean Margaret Wilson sent students a campus-wide video with the following important details for your class:

“In regards to the Class of 2024 please let it be known that the President announced today that the students need to be in town in Kirksville on their usual start date and have been arranged their usual housing to be ready to start their school year. You know we are hopeful we can get back to a more normal curriculum by mid-July, but if we have to do it with some modification, and perhaps some modification certainly in our small group activities with social distancing and appropriate safe kind of mechanisms, then we would want everybody here and ready to go as that unfolds.”

I know this is a time of many unknowns, but we are excited in knowing that emerging out of this will be you all as the newest and most resilient faces in the future of medicine. Stay safe - we are so excited to meet you all soon!

Reactions: 3 users
I take it interviews are over? I just am so confused why I have not been rejected I submitted in Nov. If anyone can give me some clarity here I would appreciate it.

It’s May so I would assume interviews are over. Some schools do silent rejections. Not sure if ATSU is one of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Current students who live on campus- are there any items that you wish you had brought/bought to use in your apartment? I'm trying to figure out what I need to purchase before I head that way the end of June, and wanted to get an idea if there's anything that you wish you had known would be helpful, or things you thought you might need that you didn't end up using. It isn't super clear what is and isn't provided in the apartment as far as smaller appliances go... should I locate a microwave that I should bring as well as an AC unit? Anything else?

Any ideas would be appreciated, my husband and I are trying to figure out if we need to budget for a uhaul rental truck, or if everything we're wanting to bring with us will fit in our vehicle.

Thanks!

Current students who live on campus- are there any items that you wish you had brought/bought to use in your apartment? I'm trying to figure out what I need to purchase before I head that way the end of June, and wanted to get an idea if there's anything that you wish you had known would be helpful, or things you thought you might need that you didn't end up using. It isn't super clear what is and isn't provided in the apartment as far as smaller appliances go... should I locate a microwave that I should bring as well as an AC unit? Anything else?

Any ideas would be appreciated, my husband and I are trying to figure out if we need to budget for a uhaul rental truck, or if everything we're wanting to bring with us will fit in our vehicle.

Thanks!

I would not purchase an AC unit until you get there. There is a good chance that the student who previously lived in your room just left behind the AC units. This happened to me personally and several people I knew in student housing. If this is not the case, there is a huge Walmart in Kirksville as well as other places you can purchase AC units.

They do not come with microwaves so if you can get one cheap before you move out there it might be a good idea. However, you can also wait and get pretty much anything you'll need as far basic appliances once you get to Kirksville.

Which Ipad do you recommend we purchase? I like the idea of getting the Ipad Air due to it being smaller and more manageable, but I don't know if I would regret not having the Pro instead?
Any suggestions of the pros and cons of each? Is the iPad Air's storage space of 256 GB enough for everything that we will need it for?

Which Ipad do you recommend we purchase? I like the idea of getting the Ipad Air due to it being smaller and more manageable, but I don't know if I would regret not having the Pro instead?
Any suggestions of the pros and cons of each? Is the iPad Air's storage space of 256 GB enough for everything that we will need it for?

Somewhat of a cop out answer, but this is really going to come down to personal preference. I know people who have the largest iPad pro, the smaller pro and just the "normal" iPad. They all get along just fine. I recommend going to an apple store (this may be really hard with COVID), or really any store and seeing which one you think you will like most. They are required because you will do all exams/quizzes and several other activities on them. Some students use their iPad as their sole resource for school, others use it in combination with their laptops/computers (probably the majority) and then there are some people that use it for tests and then to watch netflix and use their computers to study. So I would also consider what type of studier you will be when deciding how much you want to invest in an iPad. Also, keep in mind that the iPad will be included in your tuition.

I do think a lot of people worry about a bigger one not being very manageable and this really just ends up not being an issue from what I have seen. As far as space, mine is 128GB and I have basically everything saved from all 4 years of school on there without any issues.

One of the pros about getting the iPad pro is the apple pencil. I personally don’t have it (I just got in the habit of typing my notes with a bluetooth keyboard), but everyone who does speaks very highly of it and I think it would be a wise investment.

Somewhat of a cop out answer, but this is really going to come down to personal preference. I know people who have the largest iPad pro, the smaller pro and just the "normal" iPad. They all get along just fine. I recommend going to an apple store (this may be really hard with COVID), or really any store and seeing which one you think you will like most. They are required because you will do all exams/quizzes and several other activities on them. Some students use their iPad as their sole resource for school, others use it in combination with their laptops/computers (probably the majority) and then there are some people that use it for tests and then to watch netflix and use their computers to study. So I would also consider what type of studier you will be when deciding how much you want to invest in an iPad. Also, keep in mind that the iPad will be included in your tuition.

I do think a lot of people worry about a bigger one not being very manageable and this really just ends up not being an issue from what I have seen. As far as space, mine is 128GB and I have basically everything saved from all 4 years of school on there without any issues.

One of the pros about getting the iPad pro is the apple pencil. I personally don’t have it (I just got in the habit of typing my notes with a bluetooth keyboard), but everyone who does speaks very highly of it and I think it would be a wise investment.
I agree, I have the 12.9 and it is amazing. If you can afford it, the extra screen space is super nice and makes a difference for multitasking. The apple pen is pretty useful to label and color code notes and the 256gb is more than enough storage, also I would not recommend falling for the new magic keyboard lol, the regular one already breaks the bank and does just fine.

Whenever you say that it is included in the tuition is where I always get confused. So whenever we are making our budgets, the iPad is included, but we must front the money ourselves and we will not be reimbursed (unless the school counts reimbursement as you taking out the extra money in loans)?

Wouldn’t it be a smart decision to NOT include the iPad in our federal loans/budget, and then we just buy the iPad and not take the loans out to include the price of it?

Not sure how to word that, but the premise is to avoid the extra loans/interest. Although that is nothing when compared to the rest of the federal aid..

Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever you say that it is included in the tuition is where I always get confused. So whenever we are making our budgets, the iPad is included, but we must front the money ourselves and we will not be reimbursed (unless the school counts reimbursement as you taking out the extra money in loans)?

Wouldn’t it be a smart decision to NOT include the iPad in our federal loans/budget, and then we just buy the iPad and not take the loans out to include the price of it?

Not sure how to word that, but the premise is to avoid the extra loans/interest. Although that is nothing when compared to the rest of the federal aid..

To be completely honest, not entirely sure how it is included in tuition. I can't really remember how that was explained.

If it is just something the school factors into your loans and you want to avoid interest, you are able to adjust how much of the offered loan you receive. If you want to purchase the iPad and then subtract the amount from one of your loans you can do that.

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew from the accepted pending a seat list. Hope it helps someone move up in the queue!

To be completely honest, not entirely sure how it is included in tuition. I can't really remember how that was explained.

If it is just something the school factors into your loans and you want to avoid interest, you are able to adjust how much of the offered loan you receive. If you want to purchase the iPad and then subtract the amount from one of your loans you can do that.
Thanks! I’ve been having a hard time understanding it, I think I will have to ask during a 1 on 1 financial aid session.

Hi if any newly accepted students are looking for a place to live I am subleasing my 3br townhome at a negotiable/ reduced rent. Message me if you want some more information!

I agree, I have the 12.9 and it is amazing. If you can afford it, the extra screen space is super nice and makes a difference for multitasking. The apple pen is pretty useful to label and color code notes and the 256gb is more than enough storage, also I would not recommend falling for the new magic keyboard lol, the regular one already breaks the bank and does just fine.
Are iPads used in the OMM labs? I would like the 12.9, but I’m also worried it would be too large if I had it in lab or maybe on rotations, but I’ve also heard for clinicals students will use a small notepad. I can’t really go to the store right now, so I’m going to buy based on reviews/research.

Are iPads used in the OMM labs? I would like the 12.9, but I’m also worried it would be too large if I had it in lab or maybe on rotations, but I’ve also heard for clinicals students will use a small notepad. I can’t really go to the store right now, so I’m going to buy based on reviews/research.

They are.

Kind of quiet here the last week. I know June 1st was kind of a "wait and see who gives up their spot day". Any word on movements on the accepted/pending list?

Current students who have lived in the on-campus housing, how comfortable are the mattresses in the beds that the university provides? My soon-to-be husband and I are trying to decide if we should go through the effort of bringing our bed out with us, as we are traveling from CO, or just use the full size bed that the apartment will already have. But we don't want to regret not bringing our bed out if the ones that are in the student apartments are not comfortable, since sleep is going to be so important these next couple of years at ATSU!

Has anyone on the pending seat list heard anything recently? I’m wondering if there are any payment deadlines to look forward to or what next steps might be if a spot doesn’t open up..

Has anyone on the pending seat list heard anything recently? I’m wondering if there are any payment deadlines to look forward to or what next steps might be if a spot doesn’t open up..
Nothing here. I understand June 15th had a few payments due, but I have not heard anything.

First I want to say congrats on being accepted pending a seat! I was in the same position last year (accepted March 2019 but starting this summer). In the event a seat doesn’t open up, you won’t have any actionable items until around October as you’ll have one deposit due then and another in December if I remember correctly. And then of course all of the other things such as immunizations, background check, etc.

@TrackManDan , good to see you here cuz we have been on several threads together. I was actually accepted here this cycle but I declined my acceptance for a school in the east coast. ATSU-KCOM is an amazing school.

Current students who have lived in the on-campus housing, how comfortable are the mattresses in the beds that the university provides? My soon-to-be husband and I are trying to decide if we should go through the effort of bringing our bed out with us, as we are traveling from CO, or just use the full size bed that the apartment will already have. But we don't want to regret not bringing our bed out if the ones that are in the student apartments are not comfortable, since sleep is going to be so important these next couple of years at ATSU!
When I was there about 3 years ago I found the mattresses at student housing very comfortable and I'm fairly picky. I don't want to steer you wrong though, as mattresses may be a personal preference

I have an interview coming up at this school and, I was wondering if any of yall could give me some guidance on how it was like. Is it a general interview or, is it more situational-based type questions?

I have an interview coming up at this school and, I was wondering if any of yall could give me some guidance on how it was like. Is it a general interview or, is it more situational-based type questions?
pretty sure students aren't allowed to say what types of questions is on the actual interview, i would prepare for everything. but also this is the wrong forum, try looking up the 2020-2021 forum as this is last year's thread.

when I interviewed here, it was very conversational. was the last cycle, so it was in-person.