2018-2019 University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really don't mean for this question to come off wrong - I was accepted a while back with a scholarship, and I'm extremely grateful to have gotten that and loved UChicago when I came to visit for my interview. But I've been hearing/seeing some things lately about how they've slipped in their rankings and are likely to go even lower, how their hospital and residency programs aren't great, and how they're not doing well in funding.

I don't consider myself obsessed with prestige or rankings, but wanted to know if those claims have any validity or if I should keep them in mind as a concern for the future. In terms of residency applications, reputation, etc. I'm not very knowledgeable, so any input from people who can speak to this would be greatly appreciated!

(Also I haven't received my scrub top yet and it's been a few months RIP)
Elaborate on what you heard and where you heard it from please. I haven't heard anything of the sort and was very impressed with pritzkers clinical training. As stated, PD ranking is high and students work among a great diversity of clinical environments and pt. base. This is arguably better than somewhere like Mayo where they are renowned for high faculty to student ratio but might lack exposure outside of the tippy top of academic tertiary care medicine.

Edit: with that said if you're trying to go elsewhere, I'm not stopping you. Just make sure you let them know you're passing your scholarship on to theKingLT ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Elaborate on what you heard and where you heard it from please. I haven't heard anything of the sort and was very impressed with pritzkers clinical training. As stated, PD ranking is high and students work among a great diversity of clinical environments and pt. base. This is arguably better than somewhere like Mayo where they are renowned for high faculty to student ratio but might lack exposure outside of the tippy top of academic tertiary care medicine.

Edit: with that said if you're trying to go elsewhere, I'm not stopping you. Just make sure you let them know you're passing your scholarship on to theKingLT ;)

Trying to elaborate in response to you and truewolvgocrim1, but my reply's stuck at moderator approval for some reason :unsure:Here's what I said (in response to the first reply):

"Thanks for the link! From conversations with a few friends who were also accepted, some told me that they were concerned about these rankings drops and reputation with residency programs. That list is very helpful. Those conversations led me to a Google search where I read some things about declining funding from people on other forums, but I wanted to see if someone who knew more concrete information had any input.

To clarify, I am not necessarily "looking for" a certain level of prestige; I just want to make the most informed decision I can."

That is, I haven't gotten direct stats or anything from others I've talked to. However, since this was all unknown to me (I had never heard anything about this previously either), I figured it was worth figuring out if these (admittedly vague) concerns held water. I didn't know there were actual/official rankings of med schools by residency directors!

Reactions: 1 users
Trying to elaborate in response to you and truewolvgocrim1, but my reply's stuck at moderator approval for some reason :unsure:Here's what I said (in response to the first reply):

"Thanks for the link! From conversations with a few friends who were also accepted, some told me that they were concerned about these rankings drops and reputation with residency programs. That list is very helpful. Those conversations led me to a Google search where I read some things about declining funding from people on other forums, but I wanted to see if someone who knew more concrete information had any input.

To clarify, I am not necessarily "looking for" a certain level of prestige; I just want to make the most informed decision I can."

That is, I haven't gotten direct stats or anything from others I've talked to. However, since this was all unknown to me (I had never heard anything about this previously either), I figured it was worth figuring out if these (admittedly vague) concerns held water. I didn't know there were actual/official rankings of med schools by residency directors!

Current Pritzker student here. I had the same concerns about the hospital and residency rankings. I thought that better hospitals/residency programs=better med school. But, the two are not necessarily correlated. For example, Kimmel medical college has a mid tier ranking, but their hospital is one of the top.

Also although prestige is somewhat important for residency applications, it is not everything. I declined my acceptance to Hopkins to go to this school, which has undoubtley in my mind one of the best class cultures and administration.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current Pritzker student here. I had the same concerns about the hospital and residency rankings. I thought that better hospitals/residency programs=better med school. But, the two are not necessarily correlated. For example, Kimmel medical college has a mid tier ranking, but their hospital is one of the top.

Also although prestige is somewhat important for residency applications, it is not everything. I declined my acceptance to Hopkins to go to this school, which has undoubtley in my mind one of the best class cultures and administration.

Thanks for your input! I guess it does make sense that the two aren't necessarily correlated. I also immensely enjoyed the culture that I experienced at UChicago and value admin support for students a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
Just called and they said all decisions should be out by the end of the month.

a3f157f62d162965f69386834512822813fbb356755da9d5d5266fecc31cf60b.jpg

Reactions: 17 users
so i'm guessing its not by the end of the month and will be early/mid march like the office said when i called

Wow only one person reported an acceptance so far? Maybe more will go out tomorrow?

Reactions: 5 users
Maybe the committee notified interviewers in the afternoon and they'll make calls at their leisure

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anyone know if Pritzker rejects Post-II or do they place everyone not accepted on the WL?

Got a call last night around 7:30 EST as well, but it was not from one of my interviewers. Interviewed early November.

ACCEPTED 30 MIN AGO!!!!!! it's the first acceptance call I've ever actually been able to pick up (and I'm so glad it was this one)!!!!

Reactions: 11 users
to any of you that were recently accepted and interviewed in the fall, did you send updates or letters of interest?

JUST GOT THE CALL ALONG WITH A HALF TUITION SCHOLARSHIP I'M FLIPPING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 11 users
Also accepted today:):)

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone get a call from Walter?

Reactions: 3 users
to any of you that were recently accepted and interviewed in the fall, did you send updates or letters of interest?
JUST GOT THE CALL 30 MINUTES AGO!! I sent an update/interest letter in a week after my interview!

Last edited:
JUST GOT THE CALL ALONG WITH A HALF TUITION SCHOLARSHIP I'M FLIPPING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations!! Had you already submitted all fin aid information?

Congratulations!! Had you already submitted all fin aid information?
I got a scholarship offer today without having my financial aid stuff in!

I wonder how long after calls go out that other decisions will hear back. Good or bad i just want to have final decisions from everyone already.

Reactions: 13 users
Man, I hope they're not done with acceptances

Don't lose hope, my guy called at 8pm Chicago time. They're docs, docs are busy.

Does anyone know how long it will take for waitlists/rejections to come out after the acceptance calls?

Reactions: 9 users
Welp, guess that's that, then? Unless weekend calls are off the table.

Hopefully the rest of the decisions go out this week!

Reactions: 4 users
Called earlier today to ask if all the decisions have been made. From what they said, final decisions are still being made with the expectation that they will be completed later this week. I guess that means that they still have acceptances in hand to give out (hopefully)

Reactions: 10 users
I just realized I never sent my update with a pub in to this school, guessing it's too late at this point...

You Don't think it'd be better to wait in the case of a waitlist? Was worried theymight miss it if they'reworking on decisions now?
I would update on pub ASAP, and LOI in case of waitlist. Do what you can to get an acceptance/waitlist now IMO

I would update on pub ASAP, and LOI in case of waitlist. Do what you can to get an acceptance/waitlist now IMO

That's a good point. I really liked the school but i wouldn't send a letter of intent without financial info so guess sending the update now would be best.

well i sent the update, now ill just hope they get a chance to read it before decisions are made

Has anyone looked at the immunization form yet?

Called earlier today to ask if all the decisions have been made. From what they said, final decisions are still being made with the expectation that they will be completed later this week. I guess that means that they still have acceptances in hand to give out (hopefully)
Thanks for calling! Do you think they meant acceptance decisions? Or maybe they were referring to who gets waitlisted/rejected?

Thanks for calling! Do you think they meant acceptance decisions? Or maybe they were referring to who gets waitlisted/rejected?

The person I talked to didn't specify, but I am inferring that since not all the final decisions have been made, there are still acceptances left. They mentioned some list that they haven't gotten yet from the admissions committee.

So I was accepted here a while ago and recently got my first publication. I wanted to update them on this because I am hoping for a scholarship but do not know the odds of that at this point. I don't see an option to update them on the portal. Do I have to email them? Also, congrats to those recently accepted and best of luck to those waiting to hear back!